Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Does anyone think that iBooks will be switched to Intel the same time as Mac minis? These are both lower performance consumer products. Also, it would make sense to switch over a desktop and laptop at the same time.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
I think the first to be switched are the Powerbooks. They are most desperately in need of a Power-boost!
The iBooks would be more powerful than the Powerbook if they got Intel first. That's not reasonable to me.
Of course, they could build an iBook with some lower-end-of-the line Celeron M, but that's nothing I wish for.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
lexfuzo said:
I think the first to be switched are the Powerbooks. They are most desperately in need of a Power-boost!
The iBooks would be more powerful than the Powerbook if they got Intel first. That's not reasonable to me.
Of course, they could build an iBook with some lower-end-of-the line Celeron M, but that's nothing I wish for.

Now that there are no 12" ibooks and 12"powerbooks. I guess they will not do that any more. I suspect 13" I/PBook is going to be a single core PM vs 15, 17 being dual core. And yes i suspect it will be 13 next 15 next 17.
that way they can price the 13 high enough and drop it once 15 is introduced. i also suspect that initially 15" will also be single core and then after 5 months they will go dual core along with 17"

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I would guess that P Books would be first, they are the best sellers, and the most in need of an upgrade (for the price point)

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
I am looking forward to anything new from Apple. See what they can come up with to beat their current offerings.
Since I just got a new iBook 12" (was unbeatable in price/value) it doesn't matter so much to me if it's in January or June.. :cool:

Maybe they will re-arrange the whole "Power" vs. "i" -Strategy and come up with a series of just "Books" in three screen sizes and a wider range of customizing options.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I think that iBooks can live without Intel for a while (they still have 1.67 GHz G4 for it if PB will go Intel 1st)

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
lexfuzo said:
I am looking forward to anything new from Apple. See what they can come up with to beat their current offerings.
Since I just got a new iBook 12" (was unbeatable in price/value) it doesn't matter so much to me if it's in January or June.. :cool:

Maybe they will re-arrange the whole "Power" vs. "i" -Strategy and come up with a series of just "Books" in three screen sizes and a wider range of customizing options.

I'm in the same boat as you. Just bought a 12" last week. Personally, they can take all the time they want on an intel ibook. Let the PB owners have their day! I'm just excited for the continuing innovation from apple.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
budugu said:
Now that there are no 12" ibooks and 12"powerbooks. I guess they will not do that any more. I suspect 13" I/PBook is going to be a single core PM vs 15, 17 being dual core. And yes i suspect it will be 13 next 15 next 17.
that way they can price the 13 high enough and drop it once 15 is introduced. i also suspect that initially 15" will also be single core and then after 5 months they will go dual core along with 17"

Since when are there no 12" iBooks or 12" PowerBooks?

I think you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself there. We don't know what Apple are going to do with the laptop line yet. I would presume the PowerBook will go Intel before the iBook but with what chip? Yonah? I don't know about that one, they may just hold them off a little bit and swap them both over to Merom if Apple are able to get their hands on the chip a little before the rest of the manufacturers now that Apple is Intel's "golden child" and all ;)

I can see one of two things happening:

1. Apple intros a 13.3" widescreen iBook, 1280x800 res. They replace both iBook models with this one formfactor, the difference in price now determined by specifications. Somewhat thinner and lighter. Better speakers, new looks (brushed metal surround, white insert like the Mac mini) higher specifications, possibly with built-in WiMax I don't know.

then,

Apple uses this new small formfactor to build a new 13" Powerbook, same 1280x800 res, but with all the goodies of the larger PowerBooks, namely the PCMCIA card slot, Firewire 800, GigE, maybe a less powerful GPU than the bigger models to ensure proper cooling. Plenty of options, 2GB max RAM, backlit keyboard. Darker anodised aluminium (and stronger too) finish.

OR

2. Apple discontinues the 12" PowerBook and the 14" iBook.

THEN

Introduces new iBooks, same look as described above, thinner and lighter, 12" same res, much brighter, 14" widescreen 1280x800.

THEN

Introduces the new PowerBooks, thinner, lighter. But now with the 15" model weighing much less and the 17" model weighing much less too, they introduce a 19" PowerBook HD with the same resolution as the 23" cinema display. This also marks a new point release of 10.4 with resolution independence in full force.

THEN

Drop the prices yet again on their Cinema Displays OR bump the resolution on them all, now that all Macs that can drive an Apple Cinema Display can drive the 30" straight out of the box (yeah, the newly Intel Mac Mini can too now), they bump the 20" screen to 1920x1200, the 23" screen to 2560x1600 (or whatever the 30" is now at) and bump the 30" up to whatever the next res is and make only the PowerMacs able to drive it with a newly revved GPU addition which makes it into the rev B PowerBooks and annoys us all yet again. This means all the Apple Cinema Displays are HD capable along with the 19" PowerBook HD.

The final lineup would look like:

Mac Mini:
Intel
GPU rev to drive up to the 23" Cinema HD display.

PowerBook:
Intel
15", 17", 19" HD. 15" and 17" able to drive the 23" Cinema HD display, the 19" able to drive the new 30" Cinema HD display.

iBook:
Intel
12" & 14" Widescreen
Dual-display capable but only the 20" Cinema HD display

PowerMacs:
Who knows but GPU able to drive new 30" Cinema HD display.

I think option 1 is more likely and definitely more Apple-like. Slowly and surely means you get as much as you can right the first time out. I think it's time to bury 4:3 displays in the entire Apple line up. Option 2 is ridiculously over the top but we all need to dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.