PDA

View Full Version : avplayer / nplayer / itsplaying

rick_w
Jun 24, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hi there

I have a mybooklive and all is good when at home but how do I access and download movies when out and about?

Happy using he wd 2 go but most file types aren't supported am I missing something?

On nplayer I can see the mybook on servers when remote but when I try to connect get a failure message

The others no joy

Ideally I am looking for an easy way of remotely accessing my mybooklive remotely for steaming and downloading

Rick

rick_w
Jun 26, 2013, 02:46 AM
Can Menneisys2 help - he seems to be the guru round here :)

Menneisyys2
Jun 26, 2013, 02:56 AM
Can Menneisys2 help - he seems to be the guru round here :)

I haven't personally have experience with My Book Live, this is why I haven't chimed in.

most file types aren't supported am I missing something?

What kind of files are you trying to stream? Basically, most players can only access iOS-native video files off networked sources but not MKV's. It's Playing is one of the very few that can play back MKV's using semi-hardware acceleration off LAN servers.

rick_w
Jun 28, 2013, 02:34 AM
Trying to play all file types all of them work obviously with all of these apps

It's playing and nplayer I can access the NAS at home over wifi unsung samba but can't remotely even though I can see the files using wd app which u fortunately only supports the apple video player file types

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2013, 05:12 AM
It's playing and nplayer I can access the NAS at home over wifi unsung samba but can't remotely

"Remotely"? You mean from outside your LAN - say, from outside your home?

even though I can see the files using wd app which u fortunately only supports the apple video player file types

That is, you can access the files remotely via the WD app when they're on your WD drive?

SWIFTY1293
Jun 28, 2013, 05:23 AM
"Remotely"? You mean from outside your LAN - say, from outside your home?

That is, you can access the files remotely via the WD app when they're on your WD drive?

I'm in exactly the same boat, on the WD2GO app your can access you MyBookLive no matter where you are as long as you and the drive both have an internet connection. The only issue is WD2GO app will only really support MPEG-4 and so on...

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2013, 06:05 AM
I'm in exactly the same boat, on the WD2GO app your can access you MyBookLive no matter where you are as long as you and the drive both have an internet connection. The only issue is WD2GO app will only really support MPEG-4 and so on...

OIC. Then, if you need remote access but don't want to remux your files, you could consider either using native NAS (no-x86-needed) protocols and players capable of remote access (e.g., the UPnP + 8player combo) or, if your NAS is smart, installing Plex on it for streaming. Plex is also remote streaming-capable.

BTW, remuxing is easy and fast with tools like Subler or MP4Tools - have you already thought of it? It could be a far easier way of making your video library remotely streamable.

SWIFTY1293
Jun 28, 2013, 06:39 AM
OIC. Then, if you need remote access but don't want to remux your files, you could consider either using native NAS (no-x86-needed) protocols and players capable of remote access (e.g., the UPnP + 8player combo) or, if your NAS is smart, installing Plex on it for streaming. Plex is also remote streaming-capable.

BTW, remuxing is easy and fast with tools like Subler or MP4Tools - have you already thought of it? It could be a far easier way of making your video library remotely streamable.

cant run plex! comes running twonky as standard.

Ive never really looked that deeply into it but remuxing the files looks good to me.. ill give subler a try.. Thanks!

Menneisyys2
Jun 28, 2013, 06:58 AM
Ive never really looked that deeply into it but remuxing the files looks good to me.. ill give subler a try.. Thanks!

I've written tons of Subler / MP4Tools / generic remuxing tutorials & tips&tricks articles. Most of them are in the Apple TV forum here at MR.

rick_w
Jun 30, 2013, 02:15 AM
Any reason why any the apps mentioned can't do what 8player can do?