PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 beta 2 on iPhone 4S.

WeegieMac
Jun 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
A huge improvement, specifically in the UI animations. Zero stuttering when opening apps, especially those in the dock and when launching the multitasking interface.

darkfiber
Jun 24, 2013, 09:47 PM
Good to hear. I have a 4S but will probably wait for the GM before I install it. Good to hear the performance is good.

WeegieMac
Jun 25, 2013, 12:10 AM
Good to hear. I have a 4S but will probably wait for the GM before I install it. Good to hear the performance is good.

Yeah, there's someone who created another thread saying beta 2 lags on the 4S, which I replied to. In beta 1 opening and closing apps from the dock resulted in the last section of the animation stuttering. No more.

Same goes for going into multitasking and swiping away apps, no stutters or dropped frames.

Scrolling through contacts in the FaceTime app is also smooth now, where on beta 1 was choppy.

The other thread and its author are wrong and scaremongering.

WhackyNinja
Jun 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
First betas are always bulky and glitchy. Good to hear that Beta 2 for the 4S is working smooth for you!

WeegieMac
Jun 25, 2013, 02:17 AM
First betas are always bulky and glitchy. Good to hear that Beta 2 for the 4S is working smooth for you!

Yeah I'm not one of these people who don't get what a beta is! The improvements from Beta 1 to Beta 2 are VERY encouraging for the final build.

pk7
Jun 25, 2013, 02:52 AM
There is a marked improvement in fluidity from beta 1 to beta 2, when opening and closing apps and also while unlocking the phone.

However, I'm still seeing stuttering when opening/closing folders, opening/closing CC and NC, and when multitasking between apps.

I have no doubt that these will be resolved when the GM is out, and even then, I'm upgrading when the next iPhone comes out, so I'm not worried at all. :cool:

EDIT: turning the "Parallax" setting off under Accessibility tremendously improved the smoothness throughout the system. Everything is butter smooth now. I like parallax though. Hopefully they will optimize it to work smoothly in the GM or maybe the iPhone 4S's graphics chip just isn't up to the task.

EDIT 2: upon second observation, the culprit was dynamic wallpapers, NOT parallax.

tomaseriksson
Jun 25, 2013, 03:58 AM
how is safari? I reverted from running beta 1 on my 4S, the browser was so slow I couldn't stand it.

gomoq13
Jun 25, 2013, 04:02 AM
how is safari? I reverted from running beta 1 on my 4S, the browser was so slow I couldn't stand it.

You might want to consider Mercury app browser. It's free. I've always used that instead of Safari. More functionality and reliable too.

WhackyNinja
Jun 25, 2013, 04:39 AM
Yeah I'm not one of these people who don't get what a beta is! The improvements from Beta 1 to Beta 2 are VERY encouraging for the final build.

I'm thinking the same thing! Beta 2 runs flawlessly for me...despite its few bugs here and there and 2 apps not being able to run (Skype and Google+). It's gotten to the point that this is so stable that I'm using it as my daily driver...and that is saying something if I'm using an iOS Beta daily this early.

bbfc
Jun 25, 2013, 04:44 AM
I have a huge improvement on my 4S after installing Beta 2. Like most people have said, it feels much smoother and more responsive.

There are a few bugs (camera app crashed occasionally).

I dislike the slow animation when sliding to unlock and returning to the lock screen. You have to wait a while to be able to tap an icon.

tomaseriksson
Jun 25, 2013, 05:10 AM
You might want to consider Mercury app browser. It's free. I've always used that instead of Safari. More functionality and reliable too.

But I like safari in iOS6, the low level javascript performance benefits in safari makes it a tough sell to use any other browser. However, in beta 1 safari was so slow it was ridiculous. But maybe it was due to other processes in the system? I'm very worried that the overall performance in iOS7 will be a lot worse than iOS6 even in the final release.

Mrg02d
Jun 25, 2013, 06:21 AM
But I like safari in iOS6, the low level javascript performance benefits in safari makes it a tough sell to use any other browser. However, in beta 1 safari was so slow it was ridiculous. But maybe it was due to other processes in the system? I'm very worried that the overall performance in iOS7 will be a lot worse than iOS6 even in the final release.

You know apple wont leave safari hanging in the final build...

bbfc
Jun 25, 2013, 07:34 AM
Resetting all settings seems to have fixed a lot of issues for me. I would highly recommend it if you upgraded or restored from backup.

GoCubsGo
Jun 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
Yeah, there's someone who created another thread saying beta 2 lags on the 4S, which I replied to. In beta 1 opening and closing apps from the dock resulted in the last section of the animation stuttering. No more.

Same goes for going into multitasking and swiping away apps, no stutters or dropped frames.

Scrolling through contacts in the FaceTime app is also smooth now, where on beta 1 was choppy.

The other thread and its author are wrong and scaremongering.
I saw that thread. Not sure what the guy is on about there. The lock screen (swipe to enter passcode) then once entered is still slightly laggy, but everything else is good. I still feel safari hangs a bit, but that could be anything.

I do have one issue where I am texting someone, I try to add a pic by taking a new one (opposed to choosing from my library) and messages crash. Usually this results in my wifi dropping for some reason.

DustinT
Jun 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
I'm having great results from B2 on my 4s. It's still a little buggy here and there, but it's miles better than B1. I just turned off dynamic wallpaper at your suggestion, we'll see how that goes.

Siri still is pretty flaky for me. A lot of times she just seems really, really slow.

rlmacfreak
Jun 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
This is my first experience using the Betas. So far, I had better luck with the first Beta than this. I noticed that there was a lot more stuttering and freeze when trying to do basic things, switching between apps, texting, etc. A few restarts and turning off the Parallax setting seems to have eased that a bit. But I am not using a dynamic wallpaper on my homescreen just on the lock screen. Most of all, the top status bar is all black on the home screen with it starting out white but then losing it, and doesn't go away or reorient when using apps which it should. Anyone else seem to have/had this issue...? Could I restore back to the first Beta and try to re-update see if something didn't update right...? Thanks.

Update: Reset Settings. Smooth as butta.