PDA

View Full Version : No need to download songs? iPod Plays From Cloud

iBreatheApple
Jun 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
I deleted all my music since I needed 2 gigs to download the update and I discovered all my music plays directly from the cloud. Surely it hasn't always been like this, has it? This is awesome.

Blondie :)
Jun 24, 2013, 05:23 PM
Do you have iTunes Match? That could be the reason all of your songs are showing up with the cloud next to them. It means your music is uploaded to the cloud and you can stream it to your phone (which downloads a copy at the same time).

BigMar89
Jun 24, 2013, 05:23 PM
I deleted all my music since I needed 2 gigs to download the update and I discovered all my music plays directly from the cloud. Surely it hasn't always been like this, has it? This is awesome.

is this with or without iTunes Match?

iBreatheApple
Jun 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
is this with or without iTunes Match?

I do not have iTunes match, nor have I ever. :)

Update

Although it does not remove the iCloud download button (beta error?) I have noticed as I skip through tracks the usage stats for music go up. :( I guess it's downloading while you play just as a new purchase always has. Again, though, it doesn't remove the download button. Bummer.

seanathon
Jun 24, 2013, 05:34 PM
Playing music directly from the cloud is working for me as well. I do not have iTunes match either.

BigMar89
Jun 24, 2013, 05:35 PM
Playing music directly from the cloud is working for me as well. I do not have iTunes match either.

that new Yeezus though :cool:

shandyman
Jun 24, 2013, 05:35 PM
I do not have iTunes match, nor have I ever. :)

Update

Although it does not remove the iCloud download button (beta error?) I have noticed as I skip through tracks the usage stats for music go up. :( I guess it's downloading while you play just as a new purchase always has. Again, though, it doesn't remove the download button. Bummer.

Are they all songs you have purchased? Or we're they imported into iTunes? It could be iTunes in the cloud, weather than iTunes Match

bbfc
Jun 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
Are they all songs you have purchased? Or we're they imported into iTunes? It could be iTunes in the cloud, weather than iTunes Match

It's iTunes in the Cloud.

iBreatheApple
Jun 24, 2013, 05:39 PM

I had 0 MB of data for music. I purchase all my music. As I posted this and began skipping through songs I noticed the size of the music app constantly growing. Therefor it is downloading them it just has no indicators (not in iTunes, status bar (loading), et cetera). It also fails to remove the download button by the song.

seanathon
Jun 24, 2013, 05:39 PM
that new Yeezus though :cool:

Yes! :D

iBreatheApple
Jun 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
Yes! :D

Production is on that next level but I'm not for all that anti-God stuff :(. Had to pass.

shandyman
Jun 24, 2013, 05:44 PM
I had 0 MB of data for music. I purchase all my music. As I posted this and began skipping through songs I noticed the size of the music app constantly growing. Therefor it is downloading them it just has no indicators (not in iTunes, status bar (loading), et cetera). It also fails to remove the download button by the song.

Deffo iTunes in the cloud then.

theteeth
Jun 24, 2013, 06:14 PM
It's been like that since the last few iterations of iOS 6, not sure exactly when it started but yes, it plays streaming without the need to download and store on your device.

iBreatheApple
Jun 24, 2013, 06:16 PM
It's been like that since the last few iterations of iOS 6, not sure exactly when it started but yes, it plays streaming without the need to download and store on your device.

Incorrect. It silently downloads them without any signs of doing so.

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 06:21 PM
...Why would you want to download music at the same time?? Wouldn't that drive a cell phone bill through the roof/get you on the verge of being kicked off unlimited data?

----------

Well I'm sure rating a song (a feature which prob like .01% of iOS users use) is at the very bottom of their priority list.

mkstewartesq@co
Jun 24, 2013, 06:37 PM
Is there any way to turn this off? I notice that it has downloaded well over 500 songs in the past week, and it is really pushing my data usage up to about what I normally spend in data in a month.

I checked settings and "automatic download" of music is already turned off. I do not have iTunes match. But it does appear to me that, as other people have stated, it is initially streaming the songs been downloading them in the background.

When I first upgraded to the new iOS, I noticed that all my songs were listed in the iPod, at least all those I purchased on iTunes, but I had assumed that I simply mistakenly synced them from my computer. That apparently is not the case.

M

iBreatheApple
Jun 24, 2013, 07:54 PM
Is there any way to turn this off? I notice that it has downloaded well over 500 songs in the past week, and it is really pushing my data usage up to about what I normally spend in data in a month.

I checked settings and "automatic download" of music is already turned off. I do not have iTunes match. But it does appear to me that, as other people have stated, it is initially streaming the songs been downloading them in the background.

When I first upgraded to the new iOS, I noticed that all my songs were listed in the iPod, at least all those I purchased on iTunes, but I had assumed that I simply mistakenly synced them from my computer. That apparently is not the case.

M

It only downloads them once you play them. You get a "free" cloud play while downloading a song - from what it seems. It's not that it's downloading them automatically it's that initiating the playback of a song triggers the download. You can't just listen from the cloud, that's not a feature (hence why you can't disable the "auto-download").

mkstewartesq@co
Jun 24, 2013, 08:09 PM
It only downloads them once you play them. You get a "free" cloud play while downloading a song - from what it seems. It's not that it's downloading them automatically it's that initiating the playback of a song triggers the download. You can't just listen from the cloud, that's not a feature (hence why you can't disable the "auto-download").

Thanks. I get that. I didn't think I was trying to get a free play. Rather, as I stated, because all of the songs appeared in my iPod, I assumed that they had been mistakenly synced to my phone. Therefore, when I was playing my iPod in my car and shuffling through the songs using the stereo system in the car, I didn't realize that the car audio system was triggering each one to play via the cloud and then, therefore, to download.

In any event, here is how I think it can be prevented from happening further, at least in my situation: in Settings, iTunes and App Stores, there is a setting for "show all" for music and videos. This makes all of the items you have ever purchased show up in your iPod, as if they were physically downloaded on the phone. I have now toggled this to "off". Since this should not show any songs that I have not yet downloaded my to iPod, my car should not trigger them to play and therefore that will hopefully fix the problem of downloading any future songs by accident.

Mike