PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air with folder and ? on startup?

Danabott
Jun 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
What do I do when my macbook air has a folder with a ? inside of it and won't do anything? It was fine when I turned it off. No startup disc since there is no dvd drive. thanks

simsaladimbamba
Jun 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
Press CMD+R to get into the Recovery Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718) and hopefully go from there.

Danabott
Jun 24, 2013, 09:41 PM
Did that and got a world with a triangle and an exclamation point and underneath that is apple.com/support and underneath that is 6003F.

G-Mo
Jun 24, 2013, 10:05 PM
Your flash memory stick has failed or the connector on the logic board has by the sounds of it.

Try the good old reset NVRAM and SMC first.

If you have a good OS on an external drive, you can boot to that and try and repair disk a few times (if it even mounts).

Do you have access to a known good SSD and a pentalobe screwdriver?

Danabott
Jun 25, 2013, 08:06 AM
G-Mo, you are going to have to speak down to a little lesser computer guru. I have no idea about any of that. Even tell me in laymans terms what you told me to do in the first sentence. Thanks for your help. PS I also do t have an Apple Store in my town.

G-Mo
Jun 25, 2013, 01:52 PM
G-Mo, you are going to have to speak down to a little lesser computer guru. I have no idea about any of that. Even tell me in laymans terms what you told me to do in the first sentence. Thanks for your help. PS I also do t have an Apple Store in my town.

OK, let's start at the beginning. What year or model is your MacBook Air?

oneMadRssn
Jun 25, 2013, 02:00 PM
What do I do when my macbook air has a folder with a ? inside of it and won't do anything? It was fine when I turned it off. No startup disc since there is no dvd drive. thanks

This means it cannot find the boot drive. This happens sometimes by accident if your mac was not shut down correctly, or caused by a bug. Most often though, if this happens spontaniously, it's a sign of bad things to come.

First, boot it up while holding down "option". Does your main hard drive, "Macintosh HD", show up there? If so, select it and you should be good to go for now.

If all you see after a few minutes is "internet recovery" or something similar, your SSD / Hard Drive has died, or something is wrong with the connector or logic board.

If this happens again later, and keeps happening, it means your SSD / Hard Drive is dieing, or something is wrong with the connector or logic board.

Danabott
Jun 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
2012 MacBook Air 11.6/1.7GHz/4GB/128GB Flash Storage

----------

Model # A1465

----------

When I held down the option button on startup the Internet recovery ended up coming up but then the world with an exclamation point came back up with apple.com/support underneath it and 6003F underneath that. Same as before.

----------

When I held down the option button on startup the Internet recovery ended up coming up but then the world with an exclamation point came back up with apple.com/support underneath it and 6003F underneath that. Same as before.

G-Mo
Jun 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
Right, your MacBook Air uses PCIe based flash storage instead of a traditional hard drive or SSD drive.

http://technobolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/macbook_tearapart_2.jpg

Either that flash stick has malfunctioned or the connection it plugs in to on the logic board has malfunctioned. When did you buy the machine? Do you still have warranty remaining? If so, look up your local AASP and take the machine in for warranty repair. If you are out of warranty, you are just barely, call Apple and speak to a customer service representative and get an out of warranty exception to get this looked at/repaired.

Danabott
Jun 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
Ok thanks. Took it to authorized Apple repair as its still under warranty. Thanks to all who helped.

errol
Jun 25, 2013, 10:53 PM
I'm willing to bet your SSD died.