PDA

View Full Version : Standard, straightforward Bootcamp install on '13 Air - success!

gpeden
Jun 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Hi, I posted a thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600646

.... but could not edit the title :)

I called apple support and explained all that I tried and how repeatable it was. The fellow had me try a couple of things and then said he'd call back. He did his research and found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4599

Although that wasn't particularly my problem, it points out a very important piece of info - the superdrive with the Windows 7 install disk must be on the right side USB port and the USB2 stick on the left!

Followed the whole procedure from scratch, including letting BCA remove the existing bootcamp partition and reinstall, as well as starting with a freshly formatted in FAT32 USB2 stick.

During the Windows installation where the location is selected, select "Drive Options (advanced)" and then select "format", then proceed with the rest of the install.

The trackpad and keyboard drivers were now loaded correctly with the specified USB port locations being used. Who'd a guessed :)

IT JUST WORKED :D

Glen

tann
Jun 24, 2013, 06:32 PM
Can I ask, is this a problem everyone might have? Or is it specific to some specific type of bootcamp install you were doing?

Cheers in advance.

gpeden
Jun 24, 2013, 07:56 PM
Well, all I know is that a lot of folks on this forum and the Bootcamp one have had issues. The install went smooth as silk with my June 2012 MBA, but I ran into a mess o frustration with my 2013 MBA. There is a thread about this computer being the first one to use an EFI-boot. The startup disks visible during the windows install process (when interrupted or restarted) show an extra one labelled "EFI-Boot", which isn't there when I try this on my 2012 model. In the end, that process is transparent once the correct USB ports are used - nothing hangs up or asks for that choice to be made. Given the really fast startup into Windows on the new machine, I guess it is benefiting from this "EFI-Boot" however it works:)

Just so you know, I re-installed the whole thing all over again because, well, who'd a guessed if one allocates 25 GB for Windows 7 64 bit, there's something like 1.67 GB free space, LOL. I guess my choice of 32 bit on the 128 GB 2012 MBA was a good one because there was lots of free space in a 20 GB partition. Oh,,,, and the second install went smooth as could be, just like the first.

The USB stick on the left USB port, Superdrive on the right USB port seems to be the key. This one change allows the trackpad and keyboard to work during the install, and the whole process to run automatically, just like you would hope to get from Apple.

Glen