PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 Music App

Pages : [1] 2 3

ggarnold
Jun 24, 2013, 06:06 PM
Lots of changes in the Music app and thought it could use it's own thread. Anyone else disappointed with some of the changes so far?

The Bad (and missing)
- Removed ability to change song ratings (are you kidding?!)
- iTunes Match: Cannot download all songs in playlist (only 1x1)
- iTunes Match: Missing artists - All songs are there but some artists are missing. Anyone else experiencing this? Yes, I have played with the "group by" setting.
- Text links instead of buttons (so/so on this, but worth mentioning)

The Good
- iTunes Radio: Very cool, still need to experiment more
- Cleaner look, like all of iOS 7
- Album, track and album icons
- Controls on lock screen (way better than double-tap to me!)

The key problem for me is the removal of the song ratings. Most of my playlists are driven by ratings, and iOS 6 (and prior) the ratings could be updated on my mobile device. Now i've got to remember which songs I liked and update iTunes afterwards.

Anyone else share this frustration? Thoughts on new features etc?

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
Well... thanks for sharing?

ggarnold
Jun 24, 2013, 06:11 PM

Just trying to open up a discussion about the Music app. Thanks

AlanShutko
Jun 24, 2013, 06:14 PM
Is this beta2 or beta1? On a cursory look many problems are fixed in beta 2. For the others file bug reports

Armen
Jun 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
I dig the lock screen controls being active as long as a song is playing. As far as ratings go I never did use that to organize my music but I do feel your pain.

ggarnold
Jun 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
Is this beta2 or beta1? On a cursory look many problems are fixed in beta 2. For the others file bug reports

Song rating capabilities are unavailable in both Beta 1 and Beta 2. Same with the missing ability to download all songs in a playlist when using iTunes Match.

The Beta 2 "Bug Fixes & Changes" thread had some other Music app complaints. Seems like Apple has made a lot of changes here.

tremlock
Jun 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
iTunes Radio. Now with ads.

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
This is new too . . .

Screenshot borrowed from photogpab on another thread.

http://i39.tinypic.com/i1flux.jpg

Music App has been updated - the artists default photo used to be a random album cover from within your collection. Now it looks like its an iTunes default profile picture. Much nicer . . .

tremlock
Jun 24, 2013, 09:21 PM
This is new too . . .

This is neat. Doesn't seem to have very artist, but it's a great start.

kmj2318
Jun 24, 2013, 09:27 PM
I definitely do not like the music app on iPad. It's a stretched out version of the iPhones.

darkfiber
Jun 24, 2013, 09:28 PM
I saw someone mention that they either weren't able to delete an entire album or an entire artist (I can't remember which they said) like you can in iOS 6. Is that true?

CarlosQG
Jun 24, 2013, 09:29 PM

Who uses this? Why would you want to purchase a song and rate it 1 star?

Thank God it's gone.

ggarnold
Jun 24, 2013, 09:54 PM

Thank God it's gone.

How many songs do you have in your library? At some point you've got to organize/group/etc. The "smart playlist" features of iTunes are surprisingly powerful. For me, grouping by "All 5 Stars" or "3+ Punk" etc is very helpful.

Also, could be that i'm old school by the fact that I tend to purchase full albums (if the "hit" song is good, maybe the album has some other gems). ;)

The on-the-fly star ratings are extremely useful for someone that uses the smart playlists. It has been supported since Day One, so i'm surprised they have dropped it. And it is/was unobtrusive for those that don't use ratings.

BigMar89
Jun 24, 2013, 10:14 PM
i like that we no longer have to double tap the home button to get music controls on the locks screen BUT they need to leave the clock on the status bar at least

nishimura
Jun 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
Is the new cover flow supposed to have random black boxes?

Nickpocalypse
Jun 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
Seems like I'm still unable to shuffle all songs of an artist, I think it's a huge gap in functionality that we had in iOS 6

EDIT: To clarify, I have an artist with 2 albums, and I'm unable to shuffle both albums together, which I was able to do in iOS 6. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

When Shuffle All (Bold) is on, it just shuffles the current album. When off (Shuffle, not bold) the album plays in order.

Night Spring
Jun 24, 2013, 11:08 PM

I find those text links very confusing. Like, I tap Shuffle, and the text changes to Shuffle All. I'm like, "uh, is it shuffling or not?" Same with Repeat. seeing the text Repeat All makes me feel like I have to tap that to make it repeat.

I mean, what was wrong with the icons? They took up less space, and it was much easier to tell if they were on or off.

nishimura
Jun 24, 2013, 11:15 PM

Thank God it's gone.

I used to use it to favorite songs.

Seems like I'm still unable to shuffle all songs of an artist, I think it's a huge gap in functionality that we had in iOS 6

EDIT: To clarify, I have an artist with 2 albums, and I'm unable to shuffle both albums together, which I was able to do in iOS 6. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

When Shuffle All (Bold) is on, it just shuffles the current album. When off (Shuffle, not bold) the album plays in order.

Why is it that when a song is selected from the search, it doesn't go to that song? It just opens up the music app.

paulmadejong
Jun 25, 2013, 04:19 AM
If you play a song from a playlist, you can click on the 'list' view (upper right corner) to list all songs on the same album. In iOS 7 you have the additional ability to see the song in the current playlist from this list view. However, if you click a song in this list/playlist view, it starts playing a different song from the same playlist :rolleyes:

bbfc
Jun 25, 2013, 04:23 AM
i like that we no longer have to double tap the home button to get music controls on the locks screen BUT they need to leave the clock on the status bar at least

It appears under certain conditions. It's probably a bug that will be fixed in the next beta.

Gjwilly
Jun 25, 2013, 08:14 AM

I don't know about manually but when I told Siri to play a certain artist is did shuffle all of their albums.

Reddkryten
Jun 25, 2013, 08:22 AM
On the iPad, can the music app display lyrics?

joshforman
Jun 25, 2013, 08:25 AM

Thank God it's gone.

Jeez..

You can rate things something other than one star; you have 5 options (or 10 depending on where you are). Also, you might buy an album that has songs you don't like.

Also, the ratings can mean whatever you want. 1 = good.....3 = awesome.....5 =holy crap!!!

hazuki
Jun 25, 2013, 08:35 AM
one thing i don't like is the white UI
the black UI is better

can anyone post a screenshot with lyrics showing on now playing?
i'll appreciate it

frayne182
Jun 25, 2013, 08:43 AM
I really hate how they removed the rating system, but its still available in iTunes. I use ratings to make new playlists lol.

Oh well its Beta. I'll see that they add down the road.

Gjwilly
Jun 25, 2013, 08:45 AM
Would you really want a beta accidentally messing up all of your ratings?
:p

ErikGrim
Jun 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
iTunes Radio. Now with ads.

Pay for iTunes match…? At least you have iTunes radio along with your entitlements.'

And how are we even discussing ratings removals like it's an improvement?

frayne182
Jun 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
Would you really want a beta accidentally messing up all of your ratings?
:p

lol I can never imagine living in a world where my iPhone ratings are messed up. :eek:

Night Spring
Jun 25, 2013, 09:25 AM

Would love to know this too. They had it in iOS 5, but took it away in iOS 6. :(

ggarnold
Jun 25, 2013, 09:49 AM

On the iPhone you can single tap on the song artwork in the Now Playing view to show the lyrics. Still works in iOS 7 Beta 2. This doesn't work on the iPad? :(

YeahBuddy
Jun 25, 2013, 10:10 AM
Over all, I'm digging the music app on both iPhone and iPad. iTunes radio has surprised me, and I'm using it quite a bit. I love the new cover flow replacement on the iPhone. But there's definitely some things that need to be fixed.

-The new lockscreen view is great, but in b2 I can't see the time no matter what I do. We used to be able to double click the home button to view the playback controls, now they're just always there. If the time could be implemented again that would be great. Also the scrubber on the lockscreen isn't very legible.

-Album view flat out sucks for the iPad. I really liked the old album view which is similar to what iTunes 11 looks like. This new view of browsing all my albums in a list is a huge step back. A lot of wasted white space. Even something like the new landscape view on the iPhone would be a great replacement.

-On the iPad I wish there was a way to view the album art, like on the old version. I like the mini player that stays at the top, but if I want to see my album art I shouldn't have to go to the lockscreen.

-I think a lot of people have seen the "N...ing" issue where it should say "Now Playing"

-Everyone knows we need the "Play All" feature back for browsing artists.

Can't think of anything else on the top of my head.

AlanShutko
Jun 26, 2013, 03:20 PM
I'm going to put in a guess that the Music app is a substantial rewrite for iOS7, and that features will be appearing as betas continue. Don't count ratings out until release.

labqi
Jun 27, 2013, 07:05 PM
I saw someone mention that they either weren't able to delete an entire album or an entire artist (I can't remember which they said) like you can in iOS 6. Is that true?

Yeah, I need to delete a few albums and I tried deleting by artist and by album but that wasn't possible, so I had to do it one song at a time.

Has anyone here experienced playback issues with the Music app? All the songs I downloaded via iTunes Match was very choppy when played, but the music that I synced via iTunes on my Mac played back perfectly.

luckydcxx
Jun 27, 2013, 07:45 PM
I don't know if this is happening to anyone else and i didn't see it posted any where but ...

I am running beta 2 and now in my playlists some songs have a square box next to them and a smaller box inside of it. The songs with this cannot play. Anybody have an idea? This only happened recently, it was working fine a couple of days ago.

BigMar89
Jun 27, 2013, 08:00 PM
One thing ive encountered with the music controls always displayed on the lockscreen is that when listening to music and have notifications displayed on the lockscreen, you cant jump into the app when using the "slide to view" gesture on the notifications. It just takes you to the homescreen. This only happens when listening to music.

jhfenton
Jun 27, 2013, 08:57 PM
How many songs do you have in your library? At some point you've got to organize/group/etc. The "smart playlist" features of iTunes are surprisingly powerful. For me, grouping by "All 5 Stars" or "3+ Punk" etc is very helpful.

Also, could be that i'm old school by the fact that I tend to purchase full albums (if the "hit" song is good, maybe the album has some other gems). ;)

The on-the-fly star ratings are extremely useful for someone that uses the smart playlists. It has been supported since Day One, so i'm surprised they have dropped it. And it is/was unobtrusive for those that don't use ratings.

This. Exactly. I buy occasional solo songs, but I generally buy full albums. And with 6,000+ songs, I rely on ratings to create smart playlists that I use on my iPod nano. I have just enough room on my 16GB nano for all of my 4 and 5 star songs plus a couple audiobooks and my normal podcasts.

I was already disappointed in the awkward steps needed to rate songs in the iOS 6 iPad music app. I will crushed if they remove it entirely. :eek:

John

w0lf
Jun 27, 2013, 10:25 PM
I'm sure they've already been said but here are my problems.

- Now Playing shows as N...ing
- No clock in the lock screen while playing music!
- Trying to slide volume on the lock screen sometimes unlocks the device.
- No way to play all tracks when doing a search!
- No way to remove an artist without individually removing all the songs.
- Volume slider is too close to other controls.
- No way to quickly cycle repeat settings.

prtcool1193
Jun 27, 2013, 11:03 PM
Does anyone with ios 7 on the iPad know how to get the now playing screen when a song is playing in the music app? Or did they just get rid of it?

HMI
Jun 28, 2013, 01:18 AM
This is new too . . .

You don't like Alanis Morissette very much, do you?
;)

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 28, 2013, 04:11 AM
You don't like Alanis Morissette very much, do you?
;)

That is a lot of albums from one artist!

Not my screenshot though, borrowed from photogpab.

:D

HarryAinslie
Jun 28, 2013, 04:49 AM

I honestly don't know why pri*ks like you come on forums. Just because this thread doesn't interest you, that doesn't mean others won't find it interesting.

Click on threads you want to read, it really is that simple!

MasonWoods2398
Jun 29, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hey, does anyone else have this bug where the song on the device, not streaming from the cloud, don't play properly? I just bought an album on my iPhone and when I tried listening to it it like plays 1 second, is silent for 2, then plays one more second, and so on and so forth.

phamtq
Jun 29, 2013, 03:33 PM
The biggest feature that they need to bring back for me is the ability to select your audio output device from the Now Playing screen. I have a FM Transmitter and a BT headset and there's no way to select the FM transmitter for iTunes. I have to connect the device in a certain order.

You used to be able to do it in iOS6. Hopefully it comes back.

Loge
Jun 29, 2013, 03:48 PM
I don't like that albums within artists are now sorted chronologically, particularly as they are all expanded with the tracks. With a lot of albums by one artist, it gets very hard to find things.

It doesn't make much sense for other genres such as classical, where I don't imagine anyone would want chronological order.

doasis23
Jun 29, 2013, 06:04 PM
I don't like that albums within artists are now sorted chronologically, particularly as they are all expanded with the tracks. With a lot of albums by one artist, it gets very hard to find things.

It doesn't make much sense for other genres such as classical, where I don't imagine anyone would want chronological order.

Thats my biggest pet peeve especially when you have a lot of music by an artist. You have to scroll through everything to get to the song you want.

I havent noticed this before beta 2. The little equalizer next to the song you play are playing is animated.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/sternumman23/EvernoteCameraRoll20130629190034_zps97d5ad8d.png

GGianop
Jun 30, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hey, does anyone else have this bug where the song on the device, not streaming from the cloud, don't play properly? I just bought an album on my iPhone and when I tried listening to it it like plays 1 second, is silent for 2, then plays one more second, and so on and so forth.

yes, every new album I buy plays 1 second of a song until I click on that song, then it plays the whole song.

an obvious bug in the beta release.

----------

Lots of changes in the Music app and thought it could use it's own thread. Anyone else disappointed with some of the changes so far?

The Bad (and missing)
[COLOR="Red"]- iTunes Match: Cannot download all songs in playlist (only 1x1)
- iTunes Match: Missing artists - All songs are there but some artists are missing. Anyone else experiencing this? Yes, I have played with the "group by" setting.

The Good

The key problem for me is the removal of the song ratings. Most of my playlists are driven by ratings, and iOS 6 (and prior) the ratings could be updated on my mobile device. Now i've got to remember which songs I liked and update iTunes afterwards.

All I can say if they don't fix this I'll drop iCloud. I WANT a few play lists in their entirety on my device, in the cache, and the rest streamable. If they don't fix this I'll drop my iCloud service like a hot potato and go elsewhere.

I also really wish they've give us end-users some control over the on-device cache store. My phone routinely uses up ALL available space, and then I have to wait HOURS for iOS to detect it and remove unused tracks, keeping me constantly at the VERGE of complete dysfunction. We need to be able to specify cache size...and manually force purges.

masterjedi73
Jun 30, 2013, 08:19 AM

I have this problem and just came here looking for a solution. Anyone?

iRooney
Jun 30, 2013, 08:25 AM
Dumb question. With all the Googles, Rdios, Spotifys, etc....why are people still using the music app and iTunes anymore?

cmChimera
Jun 30, 2013, 08:28 AM
Dumb question. With all the Googles, Rdios, Spotifys, etc....why are people still using the music app and iTunes anymore?

Because I have my own music.

iRooney
Jun 30, 2013, 08:30 AM
Because I have my own music.

Yeah I get that....but why keep paying for it? I used to blow like $100 a month on iTunes music...now its a steady $10 a month for everything I could ever want.

daviddth
Jun 30, 2013, 08:56 AM

My music that I like, no data costs, always available even when I'm outside coverage areas. Simple really :)

Oh and I dont buy much music through iTunes, but do on occasion. I have over 2000 CD's at home (yes 2 thousand), so I'm right for music for a while lol

iBreatheApple
Jun 30, 2013, 09:05 AM
Love the theory of the lock screen controls but the volume and scrubbing controls are sub-par at best.

davidnyjets
Jul 1, 2013, 12:49 AM
I don't know if this is happening to anyone else and i didn't see it posted any where but ...

I am running beta 2 and now in my playlists some songs have a square box next to them and a smaller box inside of it. The songs with this cannot play. Anybody have an idea? This only happened recently, it was working fine a couple of days ago.

I have the same issue. Anyone figure out a fix before beta 3 drops?

DarwinOSX
Jul 1, 2013, 05:07 PM
I don't like the red icon.
As with many other rings there is too much white space with too thin fonts and UI elements. Looks a lot like Windows Mobile which I don't like at all.

The Bad (and missing)

The Good

Dreamer2go
Jul 1, 2013, 11:22 PM
I dont like the landscape view.
cover flow seems more intuitive.

w0lf
Jul 1, 2013, 11:51 PM
I dont like the landscape view.
cover flow seems more intuitive.

I agree the new landscape mode seems pretty useless. It also isn't showing all the artwork lots of albums that have artwork just show as black.

I'm also running into some other problems. The song displayed on the lock screen often does not update and sometimes the controls in the app and lock screen stop working. Earlier today the fast forward button would not release and I had to reboot the device to get it to stop fast forwarding.

KeanosMagicHat
Jul 2, 2013, 03:53 AM
I agree the new landscape mode seems pretty useless. It also isn't showing all the artwork lots of albums that have artwork just show as black . . .

I actually much prefer the new landscape view to cover flow as you can see far more album choices at one time. The only change I would make is for the view to begin centred on the "Now Playing" album like cover flow did, rather than default to the first album all the time.

As for the missing Album Art, a few of us have had that issue, but there's a fix here;

See this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1595629)

lmddawson
Jul 2, 2013, 06:33 AM
How come we still can't do 'up next' on the music iOS app :(

960design
Jul 2, 2013, 07:00 AM
I like the new iTunes radio. Yeah, it took a day or two to figure out the new buttonology but it works in my car (meaning steering wheel radio controls foward, skip, mute, pause, ect all work)!

I'm all set.

crookadile
Jul 2, 2013, 07:33 AM
I prefer the Music app in ios 6.
When I tap on an artist with more than 1 album I can see all albums by that artist and choose the one I want.
In ios 7 I have to scroll down through all the songs to find the album I want. :(

Smith288
Jul 2, 2013, 07:40 AM

Rhetorical question?

Sedrick
Jul 2, 2013, 07:56 AM
Yeah I get that....but why keep paying for it? I used to blow like $100 a month on iTunes music...now its a steady $10 a month for everything I could ever want.

Two reasons: 1. I don't have unlimited data to stream everything and 2. You can't get decent reception in your car or away from your computer to stream everything while you're on the road (and by 'on the road' I'm talking about my 40 minute commute to and from work every day).

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'keep paying for it'. If I like an artist I buy their record or at least the songs I like. Now I have them on my iPhone where ever I go.

I think the big assumption here is that everyone only listens to their music when they're sitting in front of their computer.

KeanosMagicHat
Jul 2, 2013, 09:29 AM
I prefer the Music app in ios 6.
When I tap on an artist with more than 1 album I can see all albums by that artist and choose the one I want.
In ios 7 I have to scroll down through all the songs to find the album I want. :(

Go into Settings > Music

And switch on, "Group By Album Artist"

Then return to the Music app and select the, "Artists" view

wacky4alanis
Jul 2, 2013, 09:38 AM
This is new too . . .

Wow - 32 Alanis albums - awesome! You have great taste in music!

KeanosMagicHat
Jul 2, 2013, 09:45 AM
Wow - 32 Alanis albums - awesome! You have great taste in music!

Look a little closer - it's a quote including the screenshot posted by another forum member.

:cool:

chalmers4three
Jul 2, 2013, 10:03 AM
Thats my biggest pet peeve especially when you have a lot of music by an artist. You have to scroll through everything to get to the song you want.

THIS!!! I have 82 Dave Matthews Band album (dont judge i really like his live music :)) and i have to sit there and scroll through every album to get to one i want to listen to!!! This is very time consuming not to mention the fact it lags and will even lock up my phone if i go too fast!! bring back just the album list within the artist view PLEASE!!!!!

Gogurt48
Jul 2, 2013, 10:36 AM
THIS!!! I have 82 Dave Matthews Band album (dont judge i really like his live music :)) and i have to sit there and scroll through every album to get to one i want to listen to!!! This is very time consuming not to mention the fact it lags and will even lock up my phone if i go too fast!! bring back just the album list within the artist view PLEASE!!!!!

Yeah, I'd like it a lot better if we could tap on the album to expand and collapse the track list. And it should default to collapsed so we can scroll quickly through the albums.

crookadile
Jul 2, 2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I'd like it a lot better if we could tap on the album to expand and collapse the track list. And it should default to collapsed so we can scroll quickly through the albums.

Yes that's exactly what I would like, just like in ios 6. :)

Gogurt48
Jul 2, 2013, 11:14 AM
Yes that's exactly what I would like, just like in ios 6. :)

Of course, as everyone keeps pointing out, this is a beta. Perhaps this feature simply hasn't been activated yet, and it'll be restored in a future beta. Here's hoping.

crookadile
Jul 2, 2013, 04:11 PM
Of course, as everyone keeps pointing out, this is a beta. Perhaps this feature simply hasn't been activated yet, and it'll be restored in a future beta. Here's hoping.

Lets hope so otherwise I may just stay with ios 6.

nilk
Jul 2, 2013, 04:43 PM
Any signs of the Play Next / Up Next functionality that iTunes (and iTunes Remote) has being added to the music app? That is the one feature I've wished for for years. In older iPods, they used to have a way to start an On-the-go playlist on the fly, I don't know why they lost that feature.

I'm also a heavy user of ratings and it is essential to my usage. Hopefully they are going to add it back some time soon. I wish that there was a way to rate tracks through Siri (or some other way of rating tracks in the car without taking my eyes off the road).

sdilley14
Jul 3, 2013, 02:55 PM

I would like to see something like this...an "up next" when I have it on shuffle.

e4xit
Jul 4, 2013, 03:23 AM
Missing ratings is an absolute killer for me.
I too have strange shapes next to some of my songs:
Although I seem to have more combinations of squares and circles :p none of which play by the way...

I think it is because of ejecting during a sync, but am out all day (that's what I wanted my music for!!) so can't test this out... Sometimes if you sync while playing music (in iTunes) the sync appears to have finished, and the status bar at the top will return to now playing song, but in the background it is still syncing music...

Anyway, it happened to virtually every song on my device (60GB worth) whether try were per-existing or newly (being) synced...

robsalz
Jul 4, 2013, 10:16 AM
a

QuarterSwede
Jul 4, 2013, 10:34 AM
Because Spotify's/Rdio's libraries are severely lacking for my musical tastes and Google lags much more than iTunes Match. I also buy music from a lot of varied sources (Amazon, NoiseTrade, directly from artist).

crookadile
Jul 8, 2013, 04:39 PM

Anyone had a look at Beta 3. Is this feature back yet.

Bacong
Jul 8, 2013, 04:42 PM

no it is not. You can rate songs though, by clicking on the song name while playing it.

crookadile
Jul 8, 2013, 04:46 PM
no it is not. You can rate songs though, by clicking on the song name while playing it.

Thanks for the reply. I hope they put it back in at some stage. :mad:
I'm not really bothered about ratings although some people are so at least they will be pleased. :)

BigMar89
Jul 8, 2013, 04:49 PM
is one able to transfer music to an iPhone via iTunes succesfully now?

katai
Jul 8, 2013, 06:33 PM
On beta 3, songs in albums are doubled but play once and goes to next song. Any way to fix this or its a bug?

Gjwilly
Jul 8, 2013, 06:42 PM
On beta 3, songs in albums are doubled but play once and goes to next song. Any way to fix this or its a bug?

Mine aren't doubled.

Loge
Jul 8, 2013, 07:23 PM
Lyrics are back in the iPad version.

Tap on Now Playing in top right, and tap once on the album art. Works well in portrait. In landscape the lyric overlay is too large for the album cover.

thenk83
Jul 8, 2013, 11:53 PM
I miss being able to play all songs in a genre. Would be nice to have it back.

tmanto02
Jul 9, 2013, 01:21 AM
When creating playlists you can't add songs from other playlists any more! Really frustrating!

Also, WHERE IS UP NEXT??? it is a feature that makes more sense to exist on iPhones and iPods than it does on macs!

thenk83
Jul 9, 2013, 01:37 AM
When creating playlists you can't add songs from other playlists any more! Really frustrating!

Also, WHERE IS UP NEXT??? it is a feature that makes more sense to exist on iPhones and iPods than it does on macs!

Yes!! I always sorted my purchased into some playlist! I hope they fix it.

paulmadejong
Jul 9, 2013, 01:57 AM
In beta 3, they've finally fixed the "Now Playing" button. However, in this view, if you click on the track list button (upper right), and select playlist and another song from that same playlist, it will start playing the wrong song. This bug is there since b1 and obviously hasn't been fixed (but reported..)

merrickdrfc
Jul 9, 2013, 06:04 AM

I had this bug in Beta 2, I have iTunes Match so thought that was the problem, tried turning it on/off in settings etc. Only way I managed to fix it was by turning off iTunes Match, removing all music, putting it back on again with iTunes and then turning iTunes Match back on.

Beta 3 music app seems much more stable though, haven't had a single crash yet and playing music doesn't seem to melt your phone and drain your battery like before.

Quadra700
Jul 9, 2013, 07:08 AM
Waiting :p

Cheers,

cmatuk
Jul 10, 2013, 02:31 AM
Hey, this is my very fist post. Sorry if my english its not perfect. It's not my native language.

Im now on Beta 3 and I have to say I'm not happy with the music app. I don't like the fact that you can't listen to an artist full collection and you can only listen to one album at a time. Also, there is a function on the iPod Classic that allows you to browse either the album or the artist you are listening to. That can't be done on any iOS device. (7 and older)

So if you are shuffling all your songs and you want to listen more songs of a particular artist, you have to navigate through the Artist tab and then select the song. As many people have mentioned, you can't just play the entire Artist collection. It's not good if you have a few songs of each album but have a lot of albums. (say, The beatles)

Also ,am I the only one who misses Cover Flow?. I don't like the new tiles view. I didn't like it on iTunes and now its even worse on iOS. The biggest issue for me is that it dosen't show the album you are playing but it shows the list from the begining. This is related to the issue I mentione above where you can't switch from random shuffling to more songs of a particular artist.

Finally, it was bad in beta 1, much worse in beta 2 and now it seems to be better but the app used to crash a lot. Either skipping songs or crashing to the point of a slight reboot (with the apple logo and everything). It seems to happen a lot more if you constantly press the volume rocker.

Anyways.... Hope you can comment and thanks for reading!

sbauzay
Jul 14, 2013, 05:49 PM

This is happening to me as well. Some songs play. Some songs don't. Anyone have any feedback on why this happens?

SuperMacMan
Jul 15, 2013, 02:15 AM
Chiming in here to say that I'm having issues with the display of lyrics.

I use a program called GetLyrical to automatically add lyrics to my music. The program works perfectly with iTunes 11, and iOS 6 and earlier.

However, songs tagged with lyrics via GetLyrical display without line breaks under iOS 7, however lyrics that I copy/paste in from a website appear fine!

This has been happening since b1.

http://i.imgur.com/WhKArZ2.png

Anyone else with this issue?

skinuca
Jul 16, 2013, 04:06 PM

Thank God it's gone.

The ability to rate being gone is frustrating. Many times I have entire old CDs or have purchased a new album from iTunes. What I have always done in the past is rate songs as i hear them, mostly in the 3-5 range. It makes the smart playlist feature much more powerful and useful, as there is more info for iTunes to work with.

Tyler23
Jul 16, 2013, 04:11 PM
The ability to rate being gone is frustrating. Many times I have entire old CDs or have purchased a new album from iTunes. What I have always done in the past is rate songs as i hear them, mostly in the 3-5 range. It makes the smart playlist feature much more powerful and useful, as there is more info for iTunes to work with.

Song ratings are back in beta 3.

skinuca
Jul 16, 2013, 04:27 PM
Song ratings are back in beta 3.

I see that someone about says the same thing. After seeing that post and yours I have just tried to figure it our and can not. The song name is not clickable for me in the "now playing" window and if i click the upper right and go to the list of songs from the same album, and click the song name there, it restarts the song.

I am running beta 3 on an iPhone 5.

No doubt i just have not figured it out, so any further pointers would be appreciated. Usually with their software, things work as I guess they would. It is what so many of us like about it.

Tyler23
Jul 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
I see that someone about says the same thing. After seeing that post and yours I have just tried to figure it our and can not. The song name is not clickable for me in the "now playing" window and if i click the upper right and go to the list of songs from the same album, and click the song name there, it restarts the song.

I am running beta 3 on an iPhone 5.

No doubt i just have not figured it out, so any further pointers would be appreciated. Usually with their software, things work as I guess they would. It is what so many of us like about it.

Tap on the album artwork ;)

skinuca
Jul 16, 2013, 11:51 PM
Tap on the album artwork ;)

Can't tap on it...

Tyler23
Jul 17, 2013, 06:05 AM
Can't tap on it...

Tap on the album artwork and rating stars appear below it.

Menel
Jul 17, 2013, 06:46 AM
Can't tap on it...

Keep trying, Works for me also.

skinuca
Jul 17, 2013, 09:52 AM
Tap on the album artwork and rating stars appear below it.

Keep trying, Works for me also.

Still not available. I can't see stars on songs thst do have ratings or ones thst do not. The art work is not clickable at all.

Anyone else who can't do this with beta 3?

V7.0 build 11A4372q

iPhone 5 AT&T model MD636LL/A

Tyler23
Jul 17, 2013, 10:04 AM
Still not available. I can't see stars on songs thst do have ratings or ones thst do not. The art work is not clickable at all.

V7.0 build 11A4372q

It's not really "clickable," the artwork doesn't visually do anything itself. When you tap the artwork, 5 dots should appear beneath it (reminder, the artwork stays as it was). You can tap any of these dots to rate the song you are listening to.

If it really doesn't work, then that's strange, so far haven't heard about it not working for anybody else.

Also, FYI, this only works in the music app with songs you have. This will not work with iTunes Radio.

EDIT - Just realized, your last post indicates that you are still on Beta 1. You need to update to the most recent beta, beta 3, as the rating stars were not present with beta 1.

Gjwilly
Jul 17, 2013, 10:08 AM
^^^^^^^^ The above is correct.
When you tap on the artwork, the title and artist info fade out and the rating dots appear.
Tap again and the dots fade out and the title and artist info reappear.

Tyler23
Jul 17, 2013, 10:14 AM

V7.0 build 11A4372q

Just realized, your last post indicates that you are still on Beta 1. You need to update to the most recent beta, beta 3, as the rating stars were not present with beta 1.

Build 11A4372q is beta 1. Beta 3 is build 11A4414e.

skinuca
Jul 17, 2013, 10:29 AM
Just realized, your last post indicates that you are still on Beta 1. You need to update to the most recent beta, beta 3, as the rating stars were not present with beta 1.

Build 11A4372q is beta 1. Beta 3 is build 11A4414e.

buries head in sand. not sure how that happened. I'll update this evening from home as it is not showing up as n OTA one.

Thanks for the help!

Tyler23
Jul 17, 2013, 10:30 AM
buries head in sand. not sure how that happened. I'll update this evening from home as it is not showing up as n OTA one.

Thanks for the help!

Not a problem, thought it sounded strange..good luck! Let us know if you get it updated and working.

AgentElliot007
Jul 18, 2013, 11:17 AM
I know it's still in beta mode, but thus far, the more I use it, the less I like the Music app in iOS 7. Bugs aside (particularly with iTunes Match...), there's some changes that I just don't like.

First big complaint: scrolling through artists is miserable if that artist has a lot of albums.

Like many have said, I think the text replacements for icons is more confusing than helpful and it makes things look all the more cramped, not to mention inconsistent. Why do I get a shuffle icon in the main artist view for an album but not in the Now Playing screen? But seriously, what's wrong with a simple repeat icon, a radio icon, and a shuffle icon in Now Playing? Hopefully they're coming, as the current implementation is just lousy.

But on that note, why on such a small screen do you stick all the tiny little controls in the same general area? Forward, volume and shuffle all exist in a space as big as one control in some apps! Just seems poorly thought out. I get that they likely want all the controls in the same region, but I'm constantly missing what I want the way it's set up now.

And this may be a bug, but with iTunes Match, when you set it to download an album let's say, why do some of the songs get the normal circle while others get a red box? If not a bug, what is this supposed to be telling me? It's not obvious, and if that's the case, why have a variation at all. It just makes me think something's wrong when nothing's wrong and everything's downloading fine.

I generally am liking iOS 7 more all the time, but the music app needs a lot of work still if you ask me. It's the one section that annoys me more with time. Hopefully it's just in process and some of these annoyances aren't actual changes.

spyd4r
Jul 18, 2013, 11:34 AM

100%, i get a new album and listen to it.. songs i like i give 5 stars, songs I hate 1 star... anything 1 star gets removed from the iPhone.

skinuca
Jul 19, 2013, 04:06 PM
Not a problem, thought it sounded strange..good luck! Let us know if you get it updated and working.

All set now. Thanks again.

AppleDeviceUser
Jul 20, 2013, 12:32 AM
Just so everyone knows song rating are back.

a.elilevinson
Jul 28, 2013, 11:52 PM
sorry to be the noob on the forum but I'm running beta 3 on an iphone 5 and out of nowhere when I opened the music app this afternoon most of my songs had red boxes with little red squares in the middle next to them and literally none of my music is playable. I can delete songs but I cannot select them to play in any way or through pathway and it is the most frustrating thing in the world

Jab00
Jul 29, 2013, 12:20 AM
sorry to be the noob on the forum but I'm running beta 3 on an iphone 5 and out of nowhere when I opened the music app this afternoon most of my songs had red boxes with little red squares in the middle next to them and literally none of my music is playable. I can delete songs but I cannot select them to play in any way or through pathway and it is the most frustrating thing in the world

The songs didn't fully sync to your phone connect your phone back to iTunes and sync it again

a.elilevinson
Jul 29, 2013, 12:25 AM
The songs didn't fully sync to your phone connect your phone back to iTunes and sync it again

much appreciated!!

Websnapx2
Jul 29, 2013, 01:58 PM
My biggest beef so far is deleting music. Is there any way to remove music besides song by song?

jhfenton
Jul 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
My biggest beef so far is deleting music. Is there any way to remove music besides song by song?

Just song by song and in toto (via Settings->General->Usage->Music->All Music (Swipe Left)->Delete

crookadile
Jul 30, 2013, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogurt48

Same question for Beta 4. Is it back in yet?

doasis23
Jul 30, 2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogurt48

Same question for Beta 4. Is it back in yet?

Same scrolling through artist. They did add back shuffle for individual songs. I hadnt noticed this before but if you listen to an album it used to last the track number and how many songs on the album. For example 3 of 12. Now it all the songs so I was listening to an album and the song was listed as 38 of 356.

crookadile
Jul 30, 2013, 06:58 AM
Same scrolling through artist. They did add back shuffle for individual songs. I hadnt noticed this before but if you listen to an album it used to last the track number and how many songs on the album. For example 3 of 12. Now it all the songs so I was listening to an album and the song was listed as 38 of 356.

I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet.
I have 10 albums by AC/DC and if I want to play the last album I need to scroll through all the tracks on albums 1 to 9 to get to the album I want.
I don't see why Apple had to change this, the old way was good and this is a major headache.
I hope Apple see sense and put this feature back in or I will be sticking with ios6.

dugbug
Jul 30, 2013, 07:13 AM
I have 10 albums by AC/DC and if I want to play the last album I need to scroll through all the tracks on albums 1 to 9 to get to the album I want.
I don't see why Apple had to change this, the old way was good and this is a major headache.
I hope Apple see sense and put this feature back in or I will be sticking with ios6.

Yes, its made worse by a subtle design inconsistency. If the iPod app receded the bottom toolbar when you scrolled up like safari now does, then I would not accidentally touch the toolbar when I try to flick hard through the list to get past all the album songs.

What happens now is it sometimes registers a touch of the bottom toolbar (such as albums or playlists) and changes the view, when the gesture is in fact a flick/scroll. Its disorienting as I have to figure out in the new GUI how to get back to where I was.

fullauto
Jul 30, 2013, 07:35 AM
It's probably been mentioned a 100 times, but man I miss album grid view.. Why the hell would they trash such a good looking, functional part of the app.. :(

You can guarantee album grid view is displayed on multiple iMacs in the Apple store - because it looks great.. I bet that view SELLS iMacs..

And pink, white and light gray? We're not all 12 year old girls..

Stupido :apple:

crookadile
Jul 30, 2013, 07:52 AM
It's probably been mentioned a 100 times, but man I miss album grid view.. Why the hell would they trash such a good looking, functional part of the app.. :(

You can guarantee album grid view is displayed on multiple iMacs in the Apple store - because it looks great.. I bet that view SELLS iMacs..

Exactly - If it ain't broke don't fix it. :mad:

mcfly88
Jul 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
Overall, I love iOS 7.. however, I'm not completely sold on the music app. My biggest complaint is scrolling through albums.. why are songs lists not collapsed? They should only open if you click the album, would look much nicer. When scrolling through artists with multiple albums, its just a mess! I'm really hoping they change this before the final version. Also, hoping they add a setting to sort albums by name, rather than year.

IronWaffle
Jul 30, 2013, 01:04 PM

Websnapx2
Aug 2, 2013, 08:29 AM

I hear you on the grid view, but since when do colours make you a 12 year old girl? I'm a designer and I like the pink, white and the light-grey... so does pretty much everyone I've shown it to.

Osullivan1
Aug 2, 2013, 10:32 AM
Nice to see that they've actually listened to everything in the OP's post, shows they're actually listening to people's suggestions for once, as with much of iOS 7.

The only thing I really would like (and kind of expected) is UpNext, but they've got to leave some stuff for iOS 8!

----------

Completely agree, the new app just feels like a blown up Music app. Hopefully they'll put it back in a later beta.

mavis
Aug 5, 2013, 02:14 AM
Chiming in here to say that I'm having issues with the display of lyrics.

I use a program called GetLyrical to automatically add lyrics to my music. The program works perfectly with iTunes 11, and iOS 6 and earlier.

However, songs tagged with lyrics via GetLyrical display without line breaks under iOS 7, however lyrics that I copy/paste in from a website appear fine!

This has been happening since b1.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/WhKArZ2.png)

Anyone else with this issue?

Same here, except that it seems to be random (which songs' lyrics are properly formatted and which are not) ... This morning I updated some lyrics on my Mac; some of the songs look fine on my iPhone but about half lack any line breaks whatsoever. :confused:

All of my music is iTunes Match, BTW.

Menel
Aug 5, 2013, 05:28 PM
I hear you on the grid view, but since when do colours make you a 12 year old girl? I'm a designer and I like the pink, white and the light-grey... so does pretty much everyone I've shown it to.

Some people have extreme insecurities where the sight of mere colors sets in gender, age, or sexual orientation confusion.

mcfly88
Aug 6, 2013, 01:27 PM
still can't delete artists/albums...

duffman9000
Aug 6, 2013, 07:04 PM
I know it's still in beta mode, but thus far, the more I use it, the less I like the Music app in iOS 7. Bugs aside (particularly with iTunes Match...), there's some changes that I just don't like.

First big complaint: scrolling through artists is miserable if that artist has a lot of albums.

This, this, this. The old method was easier to use. I don't know why Apple had to change this.

DopeyFish
Aug 6, 2013, 07:12 PM
This, this, this. The old method was easier to use. I don't know why Apple had to change this.

Welcome to the pain of ipad music app for the last couple years

Went from the best music app to the worst :(

AgentElliot007
Aug 6, 2013, 07:21 PM

I actually think it's better with Beta 4 and 5 in that at least you can scroll more smoothly, but it's still a huge pain. I have well over 50 albums for Eric Clapton (62), Jimi Hendrix, Phish (87 and growing!), Miles Davis, and Bob Dylan. With iTunes Match, they're all there, and it's a nightmare scrolling. Not to mention that in Artist View, iTunes Match still seems to ignore and decimate any sort tags which are beyond necessary to keep large collections organized. I've figured out how to make them work correctly in album view however.

So...it'd be nice if they could fix these Match issues while they fix artist view in general.

I still hate the text for Repeat, Create and Shuffle. Especially Repeat and it's stupid extra pop up window. There are a few too many little things like this in iOS 7 that are a step backwards in terms of usability.

Oh, but one thing they did fix was freezing the areas of the lock screen that have controls while music is playing, so now you don't accidentally unlock your device when you pause, skip, and it isn't guaranteed that you unlock if you try to use the scrubber. So there's some progress in certain areas.

dannyyankou
Aug 6, 2013, 07:34 PM
When creating a playlist, you can't add complete albums anymore. You have to add the songs one by one.

Derrick4Real
Aug 6, 2013, 08:33 PM

1000% agree. the album art takes up space, and because of that you get far fewer artists per page, only about 3-4. A major pain when you have 400 artists on your phone. I use my music player more than anything on my phone. I even saved the Denon app because it's a lot closer to the old app because it's a straight list.

Like many have said, I think the text replacements for icons is more confusing than helpful and it makes things look all the more cramped, not to mention inconsistent. Why do I get a shuffle icon in the main artist view for an album but not in the Now Playing screen? But seriously, what's wrong with a simple repeat icon, a radio icon, and a shuffle icon in Now Playing? Hopefully they're coming, as the current implementation is just lousy.

But on that note, why on such a small screen do you stick all the tiny little controls in the same general area? Forward, volume and shuffle all exist in a space as big as one control in some apps! Just seems poorly thought out. Spot on! it seems poorly thought out. They've located those controls right were you're thumbs are so you brush them with your thumb all the time. I almost never use them either so it's even more frustrating.

They need a setting where you can disable art in some of these lists. They also need a setting to show shuffle , create or not. Give choice so everyone is satisfied.

I generally am liking iOS 7 more all the time, but the music app needs a lot of work still if you ask me. It's the one section that annoys me more with time. Hopefully it's just in process and some of these annoyances aren't actual changes. me too. I have other issue with ios 7 but the music player right now is a deal breaker.

Anyone had the issue where album art imbedded in an mp3 does not display? i've checked files. the art is actually inside but it won't display.

HeyKatie
Aug 6, 2013, 08:39 PM
Why on earth did they take away shuffle on for genres? And an entire artist instead of just by album.

Derrick4Real
Aug 6, 2013, 08:39 PM
When creating a playlist, you can't add complete albums to anymore. You have to add the songs one by one.

I love how they are removing functionality. That's like itunes 11. If you plug your iphone into our computer then search inside your iphone you can't set up the "column browser" to search by artist, album or genre. It's greyed out. Now in itunes 10 it was there. They actually removed it. Seems like Tim Cooks idea is to make it less user friendly. lol.

Derrick4Real
Aug 6, 2013, 08:50 PM

i'm convinced the people at apple making these apps are the sort that only have 20 albums to their name. They don't have a ton of music. They bought the a few pop songs and this is fine. they don't have a music collection they have curated and managed and thus these things don't remotely come to their minds. They aren't scrolling large collections, they aren't customizing their experience. They don't have 10 AC/DC albums.

eoblaed
Aug 6, 2013, 09:20 PM
still can't delete artists/albums...

Is there a way to delete 'downloadable' songs? In other words, songs that just have the iCloud icon with the red 'download' arrow. No amount of swiping cleans it off my phone.

newbreed23
Aug 6, 2013, 09:35 PM
I agree with all the previous posters about the artists tab and how albums are sorted in one continuous list. It baffles me that anyone at apple could consider this to better than the previous way. If that does not change by the GM, and it doesn't look like it, I will be willing to bet its one if the first things changed in ios 7.1 or 7.0.1 based on a very vocal group of consumers.

Ram27
Aug 6, 2013, 09:38 PM
Is there a way to delete 'downloadable' songs? In other words, songs that just have the iCloud icon with the red 'download' arrow. No amount of swiping cleans it off my phone.

Settings.app

graemeflorance
Aug 6, 2013, 10:22 PM
Radio has disappeared from my music app ?????

KeanosMagicHat
Aug 7, 2013, 10:07 AM
I actually much prefer the new landscape view to cover flow as you can see far more album choices at one time. The only change I would make is for the view to begin centred on the "Now Playing" album like cover flow did, rather than default to the first album all the time . . . .

It seems they made this change in iOS 7 Beta 5 . . . . which is nice.

g35
Aug 7, 2013, 08:05 PM
Radio has disappeared from my music app ?????

Same here. It happened because I logged into to App store with Canadian account. Used my US one, deleted Music from multitasking bar, and when I opened Music again it was back!

Also, has anyone else experienced this? When you are in a particular genre and go to shuffle all, it shuffles all songs by all artists with a song in that genre, not only the tracks from that genre like in iOS 6.

Bathplug
Aug 8, 2013, 06:46 PM
Once you choose an artist from the artist tab all the albums are expanded in chronogocal order which is annoying to scroll through all the songs to get to the one you want. Any recommendations on an alternative music app similar to ios 6? Or could a jailbreak tweak fix this?

I even saved the Denon app because it's a lot closer to the old app because it's a straight list.

Just got the denon audio app to use thanks. The muze app looked good but I tried the free version and that expands the albums like the stock music app.

bbfc
Aug 9, 2013, 06:11 AM
I'm still experiencing that bug that rewinds the track when unlocking. This was present in the last beta. Only way to fix is a reboot.

Osullivan1
Aug 9, 2013, 06:21 AM
I'm still experiencing that bug that rewinds the track when unlocking. This was present in the last beta. Only way to fix is a reboot.

It's fixed for me. Was an annoying bug though...

jonnyb098
Aug 9, 2013, 07:40 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but tapping the shuffle icon next to an album just shuffles EVERY DAMN song. Not just the album.

bbfc
Aug 9, 2013, 07:53 AM
It's fixed for me. Was an annoying bug though...

Not for me. I'll try a reset all settings and see if that fixes it. It's so annoying.

sbailey4
Aug 9, 2013, 11:31 AM
Anyone have issues with actually downloading previous purchased music directly on device with Beta 5? How about iTunes sync? Seems I could no longer download and got the "retry...." error. iTunes sync would never "apply" just sits and says waiting.........No picture sync either with iTunes. All the cloud download icons beside songs disappeared too.

kevingaffney
Aug 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Can you view song lyrics on iPad yet or only iPhone in music app

JetBlack7
Aug 10, 2013, 04:16 PM

You opened a thread which talked about all the new things on IOS 7 when another user already had done it. And now you come here to bash a thread from another user.

Please don't be a dick just because other people were dicks to you on your thread.

roksraka
Aug 12, 2013, 02:00 PM
well i don't know how the thing looked in beta 1 or 2, but i'm using beta 5 on my iphone 4s and i can change song ratings (although it's a weird system)...click on the track listings button on the upper right from the album cover. this brings you to the track listings for this album. a 'rating' button appears on the upper left :)

i like the new music player, except for the "now playing" screen :( seriosly? pink letters on white background? sad...

Tyler23
Aug 12, 2013, 02:16 PM
well i don't know how the thing looked in beta 1 or 2, but i'm using beta 5 on my iphone 4s and i can change song ratings (although it's a weird system)...click on the track listings button on the upper right from the album cover. this brings you to the track listings for this album. a 'rating' button appears on the upper left :)

i like the new music player, except for the "now playing" screen :( seriosly? pink letters on white background? sad...

Or, you could tap the album artwork to bring up the star rating system :cool:

mavis
Aug 12, 2013, 02:47 PM
Can you view song lyrics on iPad yet or only iPhone in music app

Yes, it finally works on the iPad! And it even works using iTunes Match. :D

JPM42
Aug 15, 2013, 03:44 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured this would be a good place to ask:

For those who have iTunes Match, I'm hoping you can answer a few questions...

1. Is it possible to change album artwork and have it properly sync across devices without eventually reverting to the original album artwork?

Also, if so, does this also work when you change the artwork for items purchased from iTunes? A problem in iOS 6 is the iTunes Store artwork appears when you downloaded an iTunes bought item to an iOS device.

2. If you listen to music on iOS 7 devices, are play counts updating across devices and, if so, are they updating quickly? And are the play counts no longer doubling as before?

3. This is a strange one, but, unlike with song titles, if I change the capitalization of an album title in iTunes ("The Dark Side Of The Moon" to "The Dark Side of the Moon"), iTunes Match won't make the changes on my iOS devices. Turning off and turning back on iTunes Match doesn't fix it. Can you do this in iOS 7?

Thanks!

hazuki
Aug 15, 2013, 04:24 AM
Or, you could tap the album artwork to bring up the star rating system :cool:

No, you have to tap the track title instead of album art to view rating
Tap on the album artwork will bring up the song lyrics

Correct me if im wrong

Tyler23
Aug 15, 2013, 05:10 AM
No, you have to tap the track title instead of album art to view rating
Tap on the album artwork will bring up the song lyrics

Correct me if im wrong

I don't have lyrics for any of my songs. So if you so it may be different, but for myself and many others, tapping the album artwork brings up the star rating system.

Defender2010
Aug 15, 2013, 05:26 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured this would be a good place to ask:

For those who have iTunes Match, I'm hoping you can answer a few questions...

1. Is it possible to change album artwork and have it properly sync across devices without eventually reverting to the original album artwork?

Also, if so, does this also work when you change the artwork for items purchased from iTunes? A problem in iOS 6 is the iTunes Store artwork appears when you downloaded an iTunes bought item to an iOS device.

2. If you listen to music on iOS 7 devices, are play counts updating across devices and, if so, are they updating quickly? And are the play counts no longer doubling as before?

3. This is a strange one, but, unlike with song titles, if I change the capitalization of an album title in iTunes ("The Dark Side Of The Moon" to "The Dark Side of the Moon"), iTunes Match won't make the changes on my iOS devices. Turning off and turning back on iTunes Match doesn't fix it. Can you do this in iOS 7?

Thanks!

I'll try to answer based on my experiences...

1. No, you still need to remove the song from iTunes Match (by downloading it ,then removing from cloud and iTunes, then re-adding it and re-matching).

2. The play counts seem to be syncing much quicker than with iOS 6 for me. Almost instant.

3. I have changed several albums titles so all the albums in my collection are "Of The" (for example) and not "of the". I just prefer it that way...After making these changes the data updates on my iOS devices without me having to turn it off and on. I don't know why yours is not auto updating...

JPM42
Aug 16, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'll try to answer based on my experiences...

1. No, you still need to remove the song from iTunes Match (by downloading it ,then removing from cloud and iTunes, then re-adding it and re-matching).

2. The play counts seem to be syncing much quicker than with iOS 6 for me. Almost instant.

3. I have changed several albums titles so all the albums in my collection are "Of The" (for example) and not "of the". I just prefer it that way...After making these changes the data updates on my iOS devices without me having to turn it off and on. I don't know why yours is not auto updating...

Thanks.

It's amazing how, after nearly two years, we still have to go through the most tedious steps just to do something as seemingly simple as changing artwork. I was hoping iOS 7 would change that, but I see it hasn't. I wish I were a developer, just so I could submit a bug report on that.

Encouraging news about the play counts. Are they no longer doubling? In iOS 6, if I listened to a song, it would add two counts.

As far as changing album titles, did you make these changes while using iOS 6 or 7? Because in iOS 6, I'm unable to do this on any device. Good news if this is fixed in iOS 7, though.

Defender2010
Aug 16, 2013, 05:57 AM
Thanks.

It's amazing how, after nearly two years, we still have to go through the most tedious steps just to do something as seemingly simple as changing artwork. I was hoping iOS 7 would change that, but I see it hasn't. I wish I were a developer, just so I could submit a bug report on that.

Encouraging news about the play counts. Are they no longer doubling? In iOS 6, if I listened to a song, it would add two counts.

As far as changing album titles, did you make these changes while using iOS 6 or 7? Because in iOS 6, I'm unable to do this on any device. Good news if this is fixed in iOS 7, though.

I don't see any doubling of play counts - but I didn't see that on iOS 6 either.
I just changed two yesterday whilst running iOS 7 beta 5 - both changed on the devices within a minute. So it seems all but artwork changes are working for me anyway.

5t3f4n
Aug 16, 2013, 06:05 AM
I hope this isn't what people who just purchased an iPhone with iOS 7 will be greeted with when they open Music.
http://oi41.tinypic.com/2uho0sm.jpg
Left is how it's supposed to look (I guess) when you view a section that has no content. In this case, "Collections".
But if you've no content at all in the Music app, you're greeted with the broken screen on the right.
I only noticed this today because of the configuration file that reset your media libraries, but I assume the same would happen if you never had any media in the first place. Can anyone confirm this?

mcfly88
Aug 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
wow.. so beta 6, absolutely ruined the music app for me (it was already on thin ice).

1. the artist view still having the song list expanded.. terrible.
2. For some reason Apple decided it a good idea to ignore your tag edits and use their own for album titles and artwork in album view. For example, I normally erase "(Deluxe Version)" and edits I made such as adding "- Single or - EP" no longer exists. Idk, why the hell they would do this. half of their tags are incorrect or just messy. Also, this wouldn't be a huge deal.. but some albums with bonus tracks from outside of the store now show up as separate albums!!

Is there any way, to avoid this?? I want my own tags, I've spent hours organizing my music and now its all a mess.

Gogurt48
Aug 16, 2013, 09:03 AM
I'm glad to see that in artist view they went back to displaying an album cover instead of the iTunes artist photo. I really didn't like that. Let's face it, in a tiny thumbnail, most bands look pretty much alike: three to five scraggly-haired people who never smile.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Now it's showing the iTunes pictures again. I do wish there were some way to disable that.

DrFillster
Aug 16, 2013, 09:14 AM
I tried using iTunes Radio for the first time today and it tells me it's "unavailable". Is this happening frequently?

g35
Aug 16, 2013, 11:32 AM
Anyone on beta 6, can you check if swiping the album art in now playing view takes you back to the previous view? Like a left-to-right swipe across the album art.

Gogurt48
Aug 16, 2013, 11:47 AM
Anyone on beta 6, can you check if swiping the album art in now playing view takes you back to the previous view? Like a left-to-right swipe across the album art.

Yes, it does.

ecdc
Aug 16, 2013, 12:14 PM
For us audiobook lovers, I see no way in iOS 7 beta 6 to access individual chapters. This used to be accessible by tapping in the top right corner, the book cover art would flip over, and voila! a list of chapters. Here, tapping, swiping, and begging reveals no list of chapters in the book. I've tried on Audible books and good old homemade books created in Audiobook Builder.

In addition, now the entire length of the audiobook is displayed instead of just the length of the chapter. This makes scrubbing on a thirty hour book exceptionally difficult. I sure hope, 1) I'm an idiot and just missing this, or 2) Apple reverts or creates a setting to switch between book-length view or chapter view.

g35
Aug 16, 2013, 12:30 PM
Yes, it does.

Great, I'm glad this feature is back. Thanks!

Derrick4Real
Aug 17, 2013, 02:39 AM
Once you choose an artist from the artist tab all the albums are expanded in chronogocal order which is annoying to scroll through all the songs to get to the one you want. Any recommendations on an alternative music app similar to ios 6? Or could a jailbreak tweak fix this?

Just got the denon audio app to use thanks. The muze app looked good but I tried the free version and that expands the albums like the stock music app.

I only even know about the Denon App because i got invited to a Denon Headphone release party and they gave a way free earbuds and the app is mentioned. I never really used it but i still had it installed. but at least it's sort of ordered logically for my uses unlike the barely usable (in my opinion) ios 6 player. I'm gonna check the muze app. I rolled back to ios 6 cause i really can't use ios 7. It hurts my eyes and i use the music player too often to deal with all of those navigation issues. I use it in the car too so i has to just work. I can't be distracted having to read closely, sift through menus, and having those artist images i don't recognize. I need to be able to navigate at a quick glance. if i don't it's too dangerous while driving and not useful. And i use my phone as my music player through an auxilery input.

Tyrion
Aug 17, 2013, 03:46 AM
How's the performance for iTunes Match users? I ask because the iOS 6 music app is a total dog on my 4S with iTunes Match enabled. This is really weird, because I've set it to NOT show "all files", so all the music is stored locally and I can download/match stuff if I'm so inclined. So why is performance so much worse than with iTunes Match deactivated? And how does iTunes Match perform on iOS 7?

KeanosMagicHat
Aug 17, 2013, 03:57 AM
I actually much prefer the new landscape view to cover flow as you can see far more album choices at one time. The only change I would make is for the view to begin centred on the "Now Playing" album like cover flow did, rather than default to the first album all the time.

It seems they made this change in iOS 7 Beta 5 . . . . which is nice.

Arrrrrgggghhhhh . . . sometimes in this Beta process, Apple makes decisions I don't understand.

In Beta 5 they made an excellent change so that when you went into landscape view with a track playing, it had a well presented window with the album cover and track details. It looked great & really polished.

If you moved back from that whilst still in landscape, you had the new album covers view but centred on the album that was playing rather than always the first album alphabetically in your collection.

It worked really well, but now it's gone and back to how it was in Beta 4 and prior.

Hopefully this is just a glitch due to the rushed hotfix of Beta 6 and it will return.

I don't suppose anyone reading this still has an iPhone on Beta 5 and can post a picture of the Music app playing a track in landscape mode please to show the layout? Thank you

Cougarcat
Aug 17, 2013, 03:05 PM
I really dislike the new Playlist view. The new album art is way too large. I have a lot of playlists, and now it takes forever to scroll through them. They should get rid of the art entirely, or make them the same size as the art in the playlists themselves.

KGWVU
Aug 17, 2013, 03:39 PM
My issue with iTunes Radio is I am still not getting any explicit tracks despite choosing the option to allow them. I'm getting nothing but edited songs. This bugs the crap out of me as I can't stand edited songs.

g35
Aug 17, 2013, 03:50 PM
I don't suppose anyone reading this still has an iPhone on Beta 5 and can post a picture of the Music app playing a track in landscape mode please to show the layout? Thank you
I'm on beta 5, is this what you're looking for?

KeanosMagicHat
Aug 17, 2013, 04:23 PM
I'm on beta 5, is this what you're looking for?

Yes that's it - perfect - thank you for your reply.

If you have a spare moment could you post one of an album with a few tracks on it for best illustration? If not, absolutely no problem.

It must be a glitch to have removed this in Beta 6 surely? I think it's a superb UI and love that when you step out from this view the albums are centred on the one you're playing.

g35
Aug 17, 2013, 05:22 PM
Yes that's it - perfect - thank you for your reply.

If you have a spare moment could you post one of an album with a few tracks on it for best illustration? If not, absolutely no problem.

It must be a glitch to have removed this in Beta 6 surely? I think it's a superb UI and love that when you step out from this view the albums are centred on the one you're playing.

Sure, here you go

KeanosMagicHat
Aug 17, 2013, 05:35 PM
Sure, here you go

Brilliant - that is a great help - thank you very much.

Really hope they include it in the GM / Public Release.

Loge
Aug 17, 2013, 06:49 PM
2. For some reason Apple decided it a good idea to ignore your tag edits and use their own for album titles and artwork in album view. For example, I normally erase "(Deluxe Version)" and edits I made such as adding "- Single or - EP" no longer exists. Idk, why the hell they would do this. half of their tags are incorrect or just messy. Also, this wouldn't be a huge deal.. but some albums with bonus tracks from outside of the store now show up as separate albums!!

Is there any way, to avoid this?? I want my own tags, I've spent hours organizing my music and now its all a mess.

This sounds like a really terrible change. Doesn't work for classical where many "albums" consist of several distinct works sometimes by different composers and it makes much more sense to split them into "Works" rather than albums.

Gjwilly
Aug 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
For us audiobook lovers, I see no way in iOS 7 beta 6 to access individual chapters. This used to be accessible by tapping in the top right corner, the book cover art would flip over, and voila! a list of chapters. Here, tapping, swiping, and begging reveals no list of chapters in the book. I've tried on Audible books and good old homemade books created in Audiobook Builder.

In addition, now the entire length of the audiobook is displayed instead of just the length of the chapter. This makes scrubbing on a thirty hour book exceptionally difficult. I sure hope, 1) I'm an idiot and just missing this, or 2) Apple reverts or creates a setting to switch between book-length view or chapter view.

Instead of scrubbing the whole book you can use the forward and reverse buttons to skip ahead or back whole chapters.
Not as easy as the old method but better than scrubbing.

JakeOcn
Aug 19, 2013, 01:39 AM
For some odd reason my music app is not showing iTunes Radio anymore, I'm on beta 6. My udid is registered and I installed OTA, was working earlier today just randomly disappeared

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/19/azenebu3.jpg

Defender2010
Aug 19, 2013, 02:51 AM
For some odd reason my music app is not showing iTunes Radio anymore, I'm on beta 6. My udid is registered and I installed OTA, was working earlier today just randomly disappeared

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/19/azenebu3.jpg)

For some reason I woke up this morning to find the iTunes Radio tab in my music app - but it is not playing songs. I am in the UK using a UK account.

JakeOcn
Aug 19, 2013, 03:24 AM
For some reason I woke up this morning to find the iTunes Radio tab in my music app - but it is not playing songs. I am in the UK using a UK account.

It just started to work here don't know what happened didn't even reboot the device, I just happened to check and now it's there http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/19/ede3eru2.jpg

Smith288
Aug 20, 2013, 01:34 PM
I'm glad to see that in artist view they went back to displaying an album cover instead of the iTunes artist photo. I really didn't like that. Let's face it, in a tiny thumbnail, most bands look pretty much alike: three to five scraggly-haired people who never smile.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Now it's showing the iTunes pictures again. I do wish there were some way to disable that.

I submitted a bug report for that. Need at least a toggle to choose between artist image or randomly select an album.

Gogurt48
Aug 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
I submitted a bug report for that. Need at least a toggle to choose between artist image or randomly select an album.

Excellent. Thanks!

SteamyDinkins
Aug 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
Has anyone checked to see if nested smart playlists are now supported on iTunes Match? I don't have iOS 7, but I've read about other improvements to iTunes Match (better play count syncing, etc) and am curious if smart playlists have also gotten better support.

For details on specifically how to set them up and test them, take a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499559

Thanks in advance to anyone who checks and replies!

Jacquesass
Aug 20, 2013, 07:08 PM
Is there an option to group artists from compilations? iTunes and the iPod (at least the iPod classic) have the option to have compilation CD's in your library without every single contributing artist appearing separately under the Artists list.

For example, uploading the free Mercedes-Benz Mixed Tapes results in my Artists list being spammed with random bands on my iPhone, but they're all tucked away in iTunes.

(http://mb.mercedes-benz.com/en/category/72/Mixed+Tape+Music if you aren't familiar; past downloads available here: http://www.elias-lange.de/mercedes-benz-mixed-tape-download-compilation/)

Tomn94
Aug 20, 2013, 07:26 PM
@ SteamyDinkins : Apparently it still doesn’t work for me.
@ Jacquesass : Go to Other tab (bottom right corner) then Compilations. Is that what you want?

Yeah! Why no more list of chapters?!

Moreover I have some mixes with chapters (yes I declared them as audiobooks so iTunes lets me sync them to my iPhone, since iTunes Match don’t want them as songs), and each chapter has a specific artwork and name.
The thing is that on my iPhone Now Playing view, the artwork no longer change at each new chapter through the mix is played, it’s still the one I started with.
Yet there is a way to update it: I must go back to the album/list of audiobooks, then tap Now Playing.
By the way, on the lock screen the artwork of the (whole) song/audiobook is displayed.

[There is quite the same issue since iTunes 11.0.1 (the update which deleted the artwork preview window and “integrated” it in the mini player): it doesn’t show anymore the artwork of each chapter in the mini player but the artwork of the song/audiobook.
So I’m afraid it isn’t a bug but a feature on iOS Music App.]

P.S. : The mixes I use are Flight Facilities' Decade Mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/flightfacilities/sets/the-decade-mixes-1 (the 1972-1982 one, my favorite is only available on their blog).

Also,

I don’t like the text instead of repeat/random icons: I assure you it’s horrible in French (words are longer) !
The Repeat one shows a useless menu with 3 options whereas the Speed one (for audiobooks only) cycles through 3 modes.
The Create button provides also a useless menu. It would be clever to create a playlist with it not only a Genius playlist.
Too bad iTunes Match artwork issues are still there.
With these betas like somebody else says sometime I have the songs I downloaded from iTunes Match twice (once with an artwork I can redownload and the other without artwork).
Video clips are in Video app but too bad we can’t see them in full screen in Music app.
The landscape mode never focus on the album played, it stays in the position I left it or on the left.
Scrollbars on the lock screen are sometimes difficult to use.
I never use the Search feature because when I tap a song it only plays this one instead of playing it then playing my entire library (in shuffle).
Finally, too bad, no Up Next feature.

romancemongo
Aug 20, 2013, 08:35 PM
itunes..

Rooster411
Aug 20, 2013, 08:44 PM
I personally find it silly that you cannot access the EQ settings while in the player app. It is a dumb additional step you shouldn't have to take to change those settings.
Should be a button for it.
I also think they should bring back the "show all songs" option.
And before the purists rail me over it, I do have many albums, not singles. But the constant problems with album art, duplicates, etc...... It would be nice to have just a plain alphabetical, complete listing of an artists songs.
"Shuffle all songs" is a poor excuse.

Gjwilly
Aug 21, 2013, 08:53 AM
Moreover I have some mixes with chapters (yes I declared them as audiobooks so iTunes lets me sync them to my iPhone, since iTunes Match don’t want them as songs), and each chapter has a specific artwork and name.
The thing is that on my iPhone Now Playing view, the artwork no longer change at each new chapter through the mix is played, it’s still the one I started with.

Are you talking about actual .m4b audiobook files or just a group of .mp3s that you've designated an an audiobook?
Cuz I've got "audiobooks" that are simply a bunch of individual MP3s, each with unique artwork, and when the player switches from one to the next, my artwork does change.

KeanosMagicHat
Aug 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
. . .The landscape mode never focus on the album played . . .

I find this incredibly annoying too, it used to centre on the "Now Playing" album in Cover Flow in iOS 6.

They did remedy this in iOS 7 Beta 5 along with an album cover and track details – it was well presented.

Unfortunately it was not included in the hot fix that was Beta 6. Hopefully an oversight and it will return.

Tomn94
Aug 21, 2013, 09:24 PM
Great!

I've just realized that hi-speed scrubbing in Music App aims the cursor at the beginning of each chapter.

Are you talking about actual .m4b audiobook files or just a group of .mp3s that you've designated an an audiobook?
Cuz I've got "audiobooks" that are simply a bunch of individual MP3s, each with unique artwork, and when the player switches from one to the next, my artwork does change.

Yes, those are MP3s (actually they are M4As).
The artwork changes when the M4A played changes, as you say, but not when a new chapter begins.
The thing is those M4As I’ve got have chapters, like in a movie, and each chapter has a name & an artwork.
I mean, as you can see in iTunes, like a “normal music file” it has a track name and an artwork:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377137338-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-08-08.png
And here there are also chapters with artworks (this is the Chapter menu in iTunes which appears when a audio/video file has some) :
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377138178-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-07-09-copie.png
The problem is those artworks doesn’t change since iOS 7. I keep the first one all along (Nixon for an hour …).
And a chapter can even have several artworks (see below with Steve Jobs 1984 interlude).
Even Quick Look on Mac can do that:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377139010-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-36-22.png

Yes, maybe not many people use that, but it’s annoying to see something which was working going messy (the artists worked hard for this mix to be especially for iTunes/iPod/…).

tmanto02
Aug 21, 2013, 11:53 PM
They really screwed up the playlist functionality big time in iOS 7. Why one cannot select songs from other playlists like in previous versions of iOS is beyond me.

----------

Great!

I've just realized that hi-speed scrubbing in Music App aims the cursor at the beginning of each chapter.

The artwork changes when the M4A played changes, as you say, but not when a new chapter begins.
The thing is those M4As I’ve got have chapters, like in a movie, and each chapter has a name & an artwork.
I mean, as you can see in iTunes, like a “normal music file” it has a track name and an artwork:
Image (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377137338-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-08-08.png)
And here there are also chapters with artworks (this is the Chapter menu in iTunes which appears when a audio/video file has some) :
Image (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377138178-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-07-09-copie.png)
The problem is those artworks doesn’t change since iOS 7. I keep the first one all along (Nixon for an hour …).
And a chapter can even have several artworks (see below with Steve Jobs 1984 interlude).
Image (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377139010-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-36-22.png)

Yes, maybe not many people use that, but it’s annoying to see something which was working going messy (the artists worked hard for this mix to be especially for iTunes/iPod/…).

Excellent music taste by the way. Flight Facilities are so talented!

ErikGrim
Aug 22, 2013, 06:35 AM
Great!

Image (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377137338-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-08-08.png)
Image (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377138178-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-07-09-copie.png)
Image (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/34/1377139010-capture-d-ecran-2013-08-22-a-04-36-22.png)

Perfect example. FF went to insane lengths with these mixes, and playing them full screen on the iPad was always a treat. Hope they get fixed.

merkava
Aug 22, 2013, 12:57 PM
Can you add back the Podcasts tab or does it look it's gone for good in IOS7?

Really don't want to use the official Podcasts App.

ErikGrim
Aug 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
Can you add back the Podcasts tab or does it look it's gone for good in IOS7?

Really don't want to use the official Podcasts App.Gone for good. The Podcast app isn't terrible, and I expect it to be even better once it receives its iOS7 update.

Gjwilly
Aug 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
I mean, as you can see in iTunes, like a “normal music file” it has a track name and an artwork

Wonder what would happen if you just renamed them to M4B.
That's the native format for iTunes audiobooks and it might not be displaying the artwork because it doesn't expect M4As to have chapter artwork.
Worth a shot anyway.

Tomn94
Aug 24, 2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks people. :)

Too bad, it doesn’t work either in M4B.
Changing the playing speed sometimes updates the artwork once.
In iOS 6 some of the chapters’ artworks disappeared sometimes (due to syncing problems I think), this time with iOS 7 they are there but hidden…
2˝ weeks still no news from Apple Bug Reporter (not only for this bug).

becomingwater
Aug 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
429816Lots of changes in the Music app and thought it could use it's own thread. Anyone else disappointed with some of the changes so far?

The Bad (and missing)

The Good

You can still change ratings when listening to a song. Just tap on the song title.

benji888
Aug 25, 2013, 05:58 AM
Anyone else try this?

Music app-iTunes Radio: try to delete a station I made, I can't find any way to delete a station. :confused:

I also don't see a way to shuffle stations like you can w/Pandora?
________

Also: I want a "Next Up" ability like in iTunes on my mac! For starters, when playing music in phone (or itunes match), same as iTunes computer. ...also, next, with Radio...change to "this" station AFTER the currently playing song is done playing. (This will help make it better than Pandora) :D ...this doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, does it?

WJKramer
Aug 25, 2013, 07:24 AM
Anyone else try this?

Music app-iTunes Radio: try to delete a station I made, I can't find any way to delete a station. :confused:

Seriously? Just tap edit. (Twice)

Bathplug
Aug 25, 2013, 10:06 AM
Can someone in the beta program submit a report about the artists albums being displayed expanded in chronological order? Having to scroll through all the songs to get to the song or album you want is annoying especially if the artist has a lot of albums. They should put the albums back to grid view. I know its been like this since day one on iPad and that's why I rarely use the iPads music app.

Fondaparinux
Aug 26, 2013, 01:06 PM
The iPad's music app really needs fixing. I like iOS 6's Artist and Album view. In I oS 7, they would display them by line, I'm not a fan of it.

opmisk
Aug 26, 2013, 10:01 PM
I really hate how they removed the rating system, but its still available in iTunes. I use ratings to make new playlists lol.

The rating system is still there. Just tap on the song title/artist. Previous page in this thread has a screen shot.

i0Nic
Aug 27, 2013, 01:51 AM
Just switch to Rdio.

scottrussell
Aug 27, 2013, 10:54 PM
I'm glad recent betas of iOS 7 have added back the ability to rate songs on-the-go. Unfortunately, the smart playlists aren't handling these ratings as well as they did in iOS 6.

I would previously tell iTunes to sync an "Unrated Songs" smart playlist to my iPhone so that I could rate recently ripped/purchased songs while on-the-go. For some reason, iOS 7 doesn't accept this as an acceptable smart playlist definition. The songs don't get moved over to the phone and the playlist (on the phone) shows up as empty.

If I sync a smart playlist with songs rated 5-stars only, the songs will move over. But If I change the song rating to 4 stars on the iPhone, the song doesn't disappear from the 5-star playlist on the phone (until after I sync with iTunes). :(

jnappleseed
Aug 27, 2013, 10:58 PM

The Bad (and missing)

The Good

You can actually still rate songs. With the song playing, tap the album artwork and the song name will go away and the rating system will come up. Take a look at the image I've attached.

mattdo93
Aug 27, 2013, 11:07 PM
How many iOS versions is it gonna take to add Up Next and Crossfade? That's all we want...

scottrussell
Aug 28, 2013, 05:21 AM
You can actually still rate songs. With the song playing, tap the album artwork and the song name will go away and the rating system will come up. Take a look at the image I've attached.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post right off the top. My issue isn't with the ability to rate songs on-the-go, it's with the way smart playlists handle those ratings. The live updating of ratings-based smart playlists has disappeared with iOS 7.

bbfc
Aug 28, 2013, 05:35 AM
How many iOS versions is it gonna take to add Up Next and Crossfade? That's all we want...

I would love crossfade.

I used an app called Mix & Mash on iOS 6 but its not fully comparable with iOS 7 yet, and it doesn't play some of my older iTunes purchases due to the protection.

CTU Kyoto
Aug 28, 2013, 05:52 AM

Up Next would be incredible. Killer feature of the latest iTunes.

I feel like I've seen battery life/processing power raised as a reason not to do crossfade ever since the iPod era. Don't know if it holds as true as it used to though.

mattdo93
Aug 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
Up Next would be incredible. Killer feature of the latest iTunes.

I feel like I've seen battery life/processing power raised as a reason not to do crossfade ever since the iPod era. Don't know if it holds as true as it used to though.

I use Spotify which has both Up Next AND Crossfade. Battery is not a problem. I still use iTunes for certain music files though, and these 2 features would be great. Oh well

nekonari
Sep 9, 2013, 09:51 AM
Also,

I don’t like the text instead of repeat/random icons: I assure you it’s horrible in French (words are longer) !
The Create button provides also a useless menu. It would be clever to create a playlist with it not only a Genius playlist.
The landscape mode never focus on the album played, it stays in the position I left it or on the left.
Scrollbars on the lock screen are sometimes difficult to use.
I never use the Search feature because when I tap a song it only plays this one instead of playing it then playing my entire library (in shuffle).
Finally, too bad, no Up Next feature.

Agreed on several of your points. Some things I find really lacking:

Cannot modify playlists in this order: choose a song -> add to a playlist. This is way more intuitive for me than current choose a playlists -> choose songs to add process. That only works on desktop for me. "Create" button should be "+" where you can create playlist/radio station or add to playlists.
Way to create playlists inside folders (or move playlists into folders)
Ability to create playlist folders
When adding songs to playlist, they took away a way to navigate songs by playlists away! WHY??
Getting to Purchased music on iTunes store app is confusing.

It really feels like they made it so iOS devices must sync with desktop iTunes to really get playlists right. Whatever happened to "post-PC" era, Apple?

KeanosMagicHat
Sep 9, 2013, 10:41 AM
So weirdly the new album detail view in landscape mode, which disappeared when I first installed Beta 6 has reappeared recently;

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428865&d=1376778162

It still doesn't centre on the Now Playing album when you zoom back out from the detail view like it used to in Beta 5 however.

Frustratingly, it always goes to your first album alphabetically by title.

Thanks again to g35 for the screenshot.

Gjwilly
Sep 9, 2013, 02:32 PM
I had a neat bug the other day when I went from one song to the next and the scrubbing slider, instead of jumping from the right back to the left, just slid along slowly from right to left.
It must have taken about 3-seconds before it got back to the beginning.
It looked nice..... very relaxing......

eoblaed
Sep 9, 2013, 04:56 PM

You can rate songs in iOS7.

When the song is playing, tape on the name of the song (just below the scrub bar, just above the RW / play-pause / FF buttons). Bingo, rate your song.

duffman9000
Sep 9, 2013, 04:59 PM
If we don't get the old Artists-><Album1,..., AlbumN> view back tomorrow I'm going to file a bug report everyday until the feature returns.

benji888
Sep 9, 2013, 05:24 PM
So weirdly the new album detail view in landscape mode, which disappeared when I first installed Beta 6 has reappeared recently;

Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=428865&d=1376778162)

It still doesn't centre on the Now Playing album when you zoom back out from the detail view like it used to in Beta 5 however.

Frustratingly, it always goes to your first album alphabetically by title.

Thanks again to g35 for the screenshot.
I've not seen this view, only the album cover thumbnails (looks same as Mac OS X album cover screen saver)...is this iPhone 5? I'm using iPhone 5 iOS 7 beta 6.

OMG

I just tried something (I forget sometimes to try everything). I can scroll through those albums and then touch it to bring it up and it looks like your pic here! :D However, for me, I just pinch to zoom back, and it zooms back to the thumbnail of that album. After installing beta 6 did you do the Reset Media Library?

tevion5
Sep 9, 2013, 05:41 PM
Anybody else notice a bug where the album tile view come up randomly in portrait mode?

Assuming this is not normal because I can't make it happen when I want it to.

mizaco
Sep 9, 2013, 05:58 PM
it's broken and dont work right... sorrry to break it to ya.

tmanto02
Sep 9, 2013, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know of any Apple music app alternatives? Perhaps one that has good playlist functionality considering Apple totally gimped there's.

KeanosMagicHat
Sep 9, 2013, 06:47 PM
. . . I can scroll through those albums and then touch it to bring it up and it looks like your pic here! :D However, for me, I just pinch to zoom back, and it zooms back to the thumbnail of that album . . .

Thank you for trying this.

What you describe is exactly how it should operate and how it was working from every view in Beta 5.

If you have a moment please try the same from Artist view. Pick an artist and select an album from them and play a track.

When you then turn the phone to landscape mode, it used to centre on the selected Now Playing album. On Beta 6 it's not doing that any more for me.

Oohara
Sep 10, 2013, 12:39 AM
I personally find it silly that you cannot access the EQ settings while in the player app. It is a dumb additional step you shouldn't have to take to change those settings.
Should be a button for it.

Oh boy, is this still not possible in iOS 7?? Did they at least add customizeable EQ settings or is it still all presets?

Orlandoech
Sep 10, 2013, 01:26 PM
If we don't get the old Artists-><Album1,..., AlbumN> view back tomorrow I'm going to file a bug report everyday until the feature returns.

Please do.

Bathplug
Sep 10, 2013, 01:41 PM

I'll join you

liamry
Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
Had iOS 7 since the first beta, but keep wondering, how do i get iTunes Match & Radio in the UK? is there a way around it

Bathplug
Sep 10, 2013, 03:15 PM
So did they collapse the artist albums back into grid view or are they still expanded in chronological order?

ihonda
Sep 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
itunes match = no skip limit? anyones working yet?

Loge
Sep 10, 2013, 05:53 PM
So did they collapse the artist albums back into grid view or are they still expanded in chronological order?

Nope they are still expanded in chronological order making navigation tedious. :( But they do seem to have fixed the problem where iOS was overwriting album title edits made in iTunes. :)

kowen14
Sep 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
itunes match = no skip limit? anyones working yet?

Mines not either

Cougarcat
Sep 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
Hmm, my iTunes album art for playlist folders is still messed up in the GM. I either get a gray box, or an album that isn't in the folder. Anyone else seeing this?

tgmn
Sep 10, 2013, 07:18 PM
Updated to the GM. Now about 1/3 of my artwork is missing from artists view, just shows a grey box with artist/album name. When I click on the missing artwork artist, I can then see the artwork. Wasn't like this in beta 6, definitely a bug.

jonnyb098
Sep 10, 2013, 09:03 PM
Ok so I have the GM on my 4S and theres still an obnoxiously glaring bug in the Music app. Browse an artist and when you hit the little shuffle icon next to the album in shuffles ALL album songs. Yet there is still a "Shuffle all songs" button on the top on the artist list. Whats the point of the shuffle icon next to each album when it doesn't even work right? Its only supposed to shuffle THAT particular album. AND SORRY PEEPS ITS NOT A BETA ANYMORE.

This is simply not acceptable for a public release. Yet we will have to probably wait till iOS 8 for this to get fixed since its been an obvious bug for many weeks.

duffman9000
Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 PM
I'll join you

Not fixed in the GM! :mad:

KeanosMagicHat
Sep 11, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thank you for trying this.

What you describe is exactly how it should operate and how it was working from every view in Beta 5.

If you have a moment please try the same from Artist view. Pick an artist and select an album from them and play a track.

When you then turn the phone to landscape mode, it used to centre on the selected Now Playing album. On Beta 6 it's not doing that any more for me.

Well it worked perfectly in Beta 5 and now doesn't work in GM . . . . disappointing.

Trhodezy
Sep 11, 2013, 06:42 AM

The Bad (and missing)

The Good

If you tap the album artwork whilst the song is playing, it should show you the rating "dots" in which you then tap each one to add a star - if I remember correctly.

H3LL5P4WN
Sep 11, 2013, 07:53 AM
I'm running the GM and have iTunes in the Cloud. 99% of albums that weren't bought through iTunes are missing artwork.

Any ideas?

Orlandoech
Sep 11, 2013, 08:17 AM
The music app still sucks so badly in iOS7.

They need to add back;

- Shuffle in each mode (e.g.: Genre, Artist) - the only way around this is using pathetic Siri.
- Collapsed album view (e.g: in iOS6)

The music app in iOS7 is such a huge step back, its annoying.

mcfly88
Sep 11, 2013, 08:20 AM
But they do seem to have fixed the problem where iOS was overwriting album title edits made in iTunes. :)
words cannot explain how happy I am that they fixed this!! I can deal with the expanded lists, but that would have been awful to have to deal with.

kas23
Sep 11, 2013, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know how to delete albums in iOS 7? It was possible in iOS 6, but can't seem to figure it out in iOS 7.

jonnyb098
Sep 11, 2013, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know how to delete albums in iOS 7? It was possible in iOS 6, but can't seem to figure it out in iOS 7.

Not possible. What everyone thought was a bug in the betas is still there. You can only individually delete songs. Way to go Apple.

mcfly88
Sep 11, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hmm, my iTunes album art for playlist folders is still messed up in the GM. I either get a gray box, or an album that isn't in the folder. Anyone else seeing this?
Having the same issue. In the betas they would eventually just appear, but still nothing so far.

Orlandoech
Sep 11, 2013, 12:53 PM
Not possible. What everyone thought was a bug in the betas is still there. You can only individually delete songs. Way to go Apple.

Agreed... Apple drop the ball on the music.app big time.

thadoggfather
Sep 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
Is it still tons of scrolling when an artist has multiple albums?

Seems not well designed

I'm on 6.1.2 though so I dunno

Loge
Sep 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
Is it still tons of scrolling when an artist has multiple albums?

Yes

kas23
Sep 11, 2013, 02:00 PM

I thought we entered the post-PC world though?

kelleybp
Sep 11, 2013, 02:13 PM
I'll join the chorus of those woefully disappointed by the music app. I didn't download any of the betas and was oblivious to the shortcomings of the app until I installed the GM yesterday. Overall I like the os, but wow....this is a major snafu. Cannot understand why they would take away a collapsed album view and force organization of songs in artist view in chron order. A real head-scratcher and a major disappointment.

skylarp
Sep 11, 2013, 08:55 PM
Nope they are still expanded in chronological order making navigation tedious. :( But they do seem to have fixed the problem where iOS was overwriting album title edits made in iTunes. :)

This still seems to be broken for me (lots of albums have the names they have in the iTunes store, NOT the names I have tagged them with). Did you have to do anything special to make it work?

T-Will
Sep 11, 2013, 11:10 PM
Is there a way to shuffle all songs within a single genre anymore? :confused:

Loge
Sep 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
This still seems to be broken for me (lots of albums have the names they have in the iTunes store, NOT the names I have tagged them with). Did you have to do anything special to make it work?

Just restored, and then synchronised with the iTunes 11.1 beta, so all songs were copied fresh to the phone.

theBigD23
Sep 12, 2013, 04:28 AM
Didn't read the whole thread but you can download all songs in a playlist. I just did. It's at the top, not bottom.

tmanto02
Sep 12, 2013, 04:47 AM
When creating a new playlist why cant I select songs from other playlists anymore!

skylarp
Sep 12, 2013, 05:41 AM
Just restored, and then synchronised with the iTunes 11.1 beta, so all songs were copied fresh to the phone.

Huh. That's exactly what I did, but I'm still having issues.