PDA

View Full Version : iOS7 Beta 2 on iPad. Anyone running it yet?

iMas70
Jun 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
I updated the phone to Beta 2 a little while ago. It's now available for the iPad. Haven't decided if I want to put it on that yet. My kids will be upset if some of their apps don't work.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 06:55 PM
I updated the phone to Beta 2 a little while ago. It's now available for the iPad. Haven't decided if I want to put it on that yet. My kids will be upset if some of their apps don't work.

Tears and crying, or happy kids with love in their heart for dad?

MadGoat
Jun 24, 2013, 06:59 PM
No. Absolutely no one in the world is running it... No one.

Kids don't need to play on an iPad.

charlituna
Jun 24, 2013, 07:01 PM

Then don't do it. Because the chance of an app not working is rather high.

iMas70
Jun 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
Happy kids with love in their heart for dad is the best! :)

I was wondering if anyone here was running it yet. Just saw one for the iPad 2. Everything else is iPad so I was looking for feedback.

The iPad is a great leaning and entertainment device for kids. They do their homework on it, play games and watch Netflix. Their LeapPads are pretty much paperweights now. Very rarely get used.

MadGoat
Jun 24, 2013, 07:20 PM
Modern yuppy parenting. It's getting harder to find parents who give their kids real toys.

It's all about Netflix, games or YouTube.

DaveOP
Jun 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
I have it going on my Mini. It looks really beautiful, especially the lock screen. I have had some weirdness in Safari, does not like to auto rotate. I think iOS7 is going to sell a few million White iPad's when it's released :P Really makes the device look beautiful. In many ways, I feel like 7 is more of a tablet OS that is downsized on the phone, rather than the other way around.

likemyorbs
Jun 24, 2013, 07:32 PM
Modern yuppy parenting. It's getting harder to find parents who give their kids real toys.

No one asked for your parenting advice.

DoctorFedora
Jun 24, 2013, 07:35 PM

This post sure did contribute in some way whatsoever to the discussion.

Thanks.

liamry
Jun 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
Got it on my iPad 2, looks and runs beautifully

iMas70
Jun 24, 2013, 08:57 PM

Plus Raz-kids
extramath
funbrain
aplusmath
setgame
thatquiz
coolmath4kids
mathplayground

and a bunch of other learning sites that they go on.

Now, back to what I asked. How's Beta 2 working on the iPad?

(and thanks to those that provided feedback already! :) )

batting1000
Jun 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
Plus Raz-kids
extramath
funbrain
aplusmath
setgame
thatquiz
coolmath4kids
mathplayground

and a bunch of other learning sites that they go on.

Now, back to what I asked. How's Beta 2 working on the iPad?

(and thanks to those that provided feedback already! :) )

Seems to be working fine. It doesn't seem better or worse than beta 2 is on the iPhone.

Tubamajuba
Jun 24, 2013, 09:29 PM

Screw technological advancements, screw all the new educational tools that involve those moving picture thingamabobs, just give your kids "real toys". If it was done one way in the past, it should never be done another way. Ever.

To get back on topic and respond to the OP, I don't recommend putting *any* iOS 7 beta on your iPad if your kids are going to be using it. Like other people have pointed out, even if it ends up running well on your iPad, app crashes could make it essentially useless depending on whether or not the apps you and your kids use actually work or not.

As far as glitches go, the iPad versions of iOS 7 seem to be behind the iPhone/iPod touch versions. Just my personal observation, your mileage may vary.

imaginex20
Jun 24, 2013, 09:32 PM
I just installed beta 2 on my iPad 3 and it's laggy as hell (I know its beta!!). Stay on iOS 6 :)

AHDuke99
Jun 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
Doesn't run all that bad on my iPad 2. I'm fine with it.

jaycarroll
Jun 24, 2013, 10:40 PM
It's fine really, although feels more like a beta 1. There are a few UI inconsistencies and sluggishness. I reset all settings again this time, which again helped.

Apps so far are stable, nothing like the first iPhone beta.

Nanookfan
Jun 24, 2013, 11:55 PM
I've been running it on an iPad 2 for a few hours now and so far it's doing quite well. Most of my main apps are working but I haven't been through everything. That being said, if it's for your kids you might want to wait since there are no guarantees all your apps will work.

Chairman Plow
Jun 24, 2013, 11:57 PM
No one asked for your parenting advice.

+1

That aside, I've encountered freezes on my iPad mini, usually when trying to kill background apps.

springsup
Jun 24, 2013, 11:59 PM
I just installed beta 2 on my iPad 3 and it's laggy as hell (I know its beta!!). Stay on iOS 6 :)

I second that. Don't use it unless you really, really have to.

YeahBuddy
Jun 25, 2013, 12:03 AM
iPad 3 user here, and it's been pretty laggy. Especially compared to the iPhone 5. Lots of weird bugs and glitches that haven't occurred on the iPhone side of things. Definetly would hold off until possibly another beta.

Sylon
Jun 25, 2013, 01:23 AM
I too have the iPad 3 here and it's pretty laggy for me as well. Especially typing, holy cow there is a crazy delay sometimes. I can be halfway thru my sentence before the letters finally catch up.

Folder animations are pretty choppy too. Haven't put it thru any intense games yet though. Just regular web browsing and trying to see what would crash the springboard. So far, a lot does. I've crashed this thing about 6 or 7 times in the last couple hours so far. I would hold off for a later beta.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 01:35 AM

It's all about Netflix, games or YouTube.Toys? What kind of waste of time is that? Kids ought to be in the field planting and harvesting to stock up for winters ahead and not playing around!

Mochi Hana
Jun 25, 2013, 01:40 AM
Agreed. I'm in the process of downgrading back.

JoEw
Jun 25, 2013, 01:58 AM
How does it play with an iPad 4?
People with IOS7 on iPhone 5 as well, would you say about the same performance?

gomoq13
Jun 25, 2013, 02:00 AM
I got it on the iPad 3. Love it so much! The default galaxy lockscreen and homescreen wallpapers are simply gorgeous on a big screen. I'm leaving those as it is. Hehe! Anyways, to those who are experiencing lags, maybe you would want to try "Reset All Settings". I did that straight after updating my iPad 3 to iOS 7. Maybe that's the thing that straighten out all those lags. It seemed to be the case on my iPhone 4S. Doing that also seemed to have improved the battery life.

MonkeySee....
Jun 25, 2013, 02:14 AM

this post smacks of not having kids!

My little 3 year has learn't lots from his iPad he is more talkative and interactive than all his friends.

He watches "Justice league" etc on the iPad an its given him an amazing imagination when he's playing.

gomoq13
Jun 25, 2013, 02:22 AM
this post smacks of not having kids!

My little 3 year has learn't lots from his iPad he is more talkative and interactive than all his friends.

He watches "Justice league" etc on the iPad an its given him an amazing imagination when he's playing.

My less-than-a-year-old niece prefers her dad's iPad to her toys. Lol. Educational baby apps for her. Yes, I totally agree it is a great tool for kids. It's not just for play and entertainment. :)

HMI
Jun 25, 2013, 03:03 AM
iPad 3 user here, and it's been pretty laggy. Especially compared to the iPhone 5. Lots of weird bugs and glitches that haven't occurred on the iPhone side of things. Definetly would hold off until possibly another beta.

Do you mind posting a screenshot of your Command Center?
I was sad to hear the iPad 3 would not support Airdrop, and am curious if there might be a way to make that feature work.

HarryT
Jun 25, 2013, 03:15 AM
iPad 3 Wifi

- Animations noticeably slower than beta 2 on iPhone (5)
- Controls are sluggish compared to beta 2 on iPhone (5)
- Photos App pinch to zoom throws the anchor about 1/2 a screen away resulting in the photo at the edge of the screen rotating around the centre
- Battery Life is actually superb...
- Animation has changed when using gestures to minimise an app (Homescreen icons fall into place one by one). As a side note the Dock is not transparent during this gesture.
- iPad Safari does NOT suffer from the glitches that can appear on iPhone Safari (specifically scrolling to the top constantly)
- Splitting the Keyboard results in poor animation/frame rate when typing.

YeahBuddy
Jun 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
Do you mind posting a screenshot of your Command Center?
I was sad to hear the iPad 3 would not support Airdrop, and am curious if there might be a way to make that feature work.

No AirDrop from what I've seen.

http://i43.tinypic.com/30t2pag.jpg

gmanist1000
Jun 25, 2013, 09:20 AM
Here's a quick video I found from YouTube:

HhWzXlqPDPw

Southern Dad
Jun 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
My 10 year old daughter has the original iPad (64 GB - AT&T) so she is stuck on IOS 5, I have the New iPad 3rd Gen (64 GB - AT&T) but I have to share with a 4 year old so I'm not sure if I should upgrade or not. If Temple Run, Netflix, Disney Jr and Angry Birds don't work I could have an upset Pre-Schooler on my hands.

Truthfully, the iPad and MacBook are the two most powerful tools my 10 year old has had in her education. She is so far ahead of her classmates because of technology. I wish we'd had this kind of technology when I was a kid.
:apple:

NachoGrande
Jun 25, 2013, 09:33 AM
I can't believe Airdrop is not available on the iPad 3. Makes the function completely useless.

"Oh, let me airdrop that file for you. Sorry, my iPad is over a year old so Apple won't support me. Can you just email it, thx." :apple:

jim2011
Jun 25, 2013, 09:37 AM
I can't believe Airdrop is not available on the iPad 3. Makes the function completely useless.

"Oh, let me airdrop that file for you. Sorry, my iPad is over a year old so Apple won't support me. Can you just email it, thx." :apple:

To be fair to Apple, it's missing WiFi direct on the wifi chipset. They came up with a new feature that requires that technology, simple as that. Hence why even the iPad mini which is less powerful supports it, simply because it has a newer wifi chipset that supports wifi direct.

Night Spring
Jun 25, 2013, 09:37 AM

I believe Airdrop needs the new Bluetooth specs that is only on the iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4.

Bujin
Jun 26, 2013, 12:22 PM
I can send files via AirDrop on my Mini, but my iphone can't see the Mini to send. Anyone else have this?