PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7's Siri Can Learn How to Pronounce Names

MacRumors
Jun 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/ios-7s-siri-can-learn-how-to-pronounce-names/)

Shortly before today's iOS 7 Beta 2 was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apple-seeds-ios-7-beta-2-to-developers/), one of 9to5Mac's readers found (http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/23/siri-asks-for-help-pronouncing-names-in-ios-7/) that iOS 7's Siri has the ability to correct pronunciations for names.
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/siripronunciation.pngImage via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/23/siri-asks-for-help-pronouncing-names-in-ios-7/)Previously, getting Siri to properly pronounce names required a user to edit the "phonetic name" for a contact and manually adjust the spelling until Siri pronounced the name the correct way. Now, as 9to5Mac notes, a user can simply say "pronounce [insert name here]" to put Siri through a simpler name pronunciation learning process.

Within that process, Siri will ask the user to pronounce the name and then present a couple of pronunciations based on how it heard the user. The user is then prompted to select a pronunciation, which Siri will from then on attempt to use when saying the name in question.

While the feature was in iOS 7 Beta 1, it's unknown at this point whether there have been improvements in the recently released Beta 2.

Article Link: iOS 7's Siri Can Learn How to Pronounce Names (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/ios-7s-siri-can-learn-how-to-pronounce-names/)

darijoe
Jun 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
Siri is becoming not so siri after all!

alia
Jun 24, 2013, 10:22 PM
This is great news! One reason Siri irks me is that she can't pronounce my name at all, and it grates.

negativzero
Jun 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Siri totally fails at Asian names. This is going to be real useful when I go handsfree.

caligomez
Jun 24, 2013, 10:41 PM
What Siri desperately needs is a way to differentiate one language from another without having to strictly accept one at a time. There are many bilingual countries (and users) that have have to constantly use different language words in the same sentence.

Carlanga
Jun 24, 2013, 11:52 PM
Great news for me; now to decide which language I'm gonna keep as the main one and the second just let Siri relearned names.

Can Siri relearn names in the music app also?

locoboi187
Jun 25, 2013, 12:12 AM
Still messes up my name but much better!

cRuNcHiE
Jun 25, 2013, 12:19 AM
You can do this in IOS6 too...

In the contact with 'My info' , edit and choose Add field. Then choose Phoenetic First name .

E.g I have put Krun Chee. Now Siri says my name right

BillyBobBongo
Jun 25, 2013, 12:30 AM
Previously, getting Siri to properly pronounce names required a user to edit the "phonetic name" for a contact and manually adjust the spelling until Siri pronounced the name the correct way. Now, as 9to5Mac notes, a user can simply say "pronounce [insert name here]" to put Siri through a simpler name pronunciation learning process.

You can do this in IOS6 too...

Sometimes it helps to read the article.

Dadditude
Jun 25, 2013, 12:34 AM
Here's hoping its not just limited to names. While I can't think of any right now, I know there are some words/phrases that Siri just pronounces oddly (to me), and it would be nice to be able to correct her.

Interesting thought that just occurred to me… if this is the case, you could slowly teach her to speak with a regional dialect or accent…

MartiNZ
Jun 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
This is cool! If they add it to maps that would be a really nice move.

tdtran1025
Jun 25, 2013, 01:32 AM
Flaunting the prowess of their data center with multiple-language capacity.

kockgunner
Jun 25, 2013, 01:49 AM
I tried it with some names and it just pronounces it with different intonations. Simple names still have a bit of unnaturalness to them.

Other observations:
- In beta 2 Siri can't seem to control the flashlight anymore.

- Some preset phrases seem so natural but answers that need to be 'built' like when there's a city name or termperature, you can hear a tinge of old Siri.

attila
Jun 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
Cool feature!

Hate the bland, grey, buttons/touch areas!

Tysknaden
Jun 25, 2013, 03:31 AM
Very nice! - I've never enabled Siri, but I am sure, that it would touch the core of my soul: Siri, finally able to pronounce my name. Correctly.
It is the nucleus of the core of my most secret wishes.
(Except the wish for an iOS7, which is not an insult for my degenerated European taste.)
Maybe... once... I will listen to Siri, correctly pronouncing my name. Meanwhile, I am staring at iOS7's screenshots :-)

iomar
Jun 25, 2013, 04:32 AM
Didn't work that good. I hope that they can improve on this. It will be very useful.

olowott
Jun 25, 2013, 05:15 AM
Awesomeeeeee:cool::cool:

Time to try my native african name :rolleyes:

macaddict06
Jun 25, 2013, 07:05 AM
As someone with a ton of Indian family: thank you ever-loving god and about #&*ing time. I had to learn how to repronounce names just to get iOS 6 Siri to work 1/2 the time.

iThinkIt
Jun 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
Yes..

Siri has been learning a lot lately.. but she tends to mumble and sometimes she says off the wall things that don't make since.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/995045_4324477810309_2011489989_n.jpg

Gasu E.
Jun 25, 2013, 08:08 AM
But it's pronounced "Wong."

Only if you're literate, or actually Chinese. In any case, we gweilo find WAng to be much funnier. :D

Of course, he could have said "message Dick."

dwarnecke11
Jun 25, 2013, 08:08 AM
What's interesting is that my iPod shuffle gets my last name right... "War-nuh-key"

Siri pronounces it as "War-neck".

Gasu E.
Jun 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
Yes..

Siri has been learning a lot lately.. but she tends to mumble and sometimes she says off the wall things that don't make since.

Image (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/995045_4324477810309_2011489989_n.jpg)

Oh, the irony!

Drunken Master
Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
Only if you're literate, or actually Chinese. In any case, we gweilo find WAng to be much funnier. :D

Of course, he could have said "message Dick."

Siri is going to have some issues when I want to text Dick Cheney.

rdlink
Jun 25, 2013, 08:37 AM
Yes..

Image (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/995045_4324477810309_2011489989_n.jpg)

But at least she knows how to spell...

e-coli
Jun 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
It was always rather irksome that I had to mispronounce my name when using Siri. Glad they fixed that. :)

blackcrayon
Jun 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get it to do a drastic mispronunciation... I wanted my coworker's name "Cory" to be pronounced "JACK-ass" but it fails...

Spinnetti
Jun 25, 2013, 09:59 AM
I think Siri is pretty cool. One thing it doesn't do well at all (same as my wife) is parse the words in context. For instance, if two words match, but one matches at 65% likely and the other at 55%, but the 65% match word makes no sense in the context of the sentence but the other one does, it should use the one that makes more sense in the sentence. There are grammar checkers in word processors, you'd think it could do something similar. I'd also like to see a bit more local processing as its too slow to respond where I live....

notjustjay
Jun 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
I think Siri is pretty cool. One thing it doesn't do well at all (same as my wife) is parse the words in context. For instance, if two words match, but one matches at 65% likely and the other at 55%, but the 65% match word makes no sense in the context of the sentence but the other one does, it should use the one that makes more sense in the sentence. There are grammar checkers in word processors, you'd think it could do something similar. I'd also like to see a bit more local processing as its too slow to respond where I live....

I wish that autocorrect would do this too. The one that bothers me most is "well" and "we'll". It's almost like autocorrect tries to get it wrong. I'll write something like "Aww darn. Oh well" and it will autocorrect to "oh we'll". Then I'll write "well be leaving soon" thinking, OK, it will autocorrect to "we'll" -- but no, it doesn't! I don't understand.

morespce54
Jun 25, 2013, 11:18 AM
Great news for me; now to decide which language I'm gonna keep as the main one and the second just let Siri relearned names.

Can Siri relearn names in the music app also?

And even street names for that matter...

Actually, it would be nice to be able to teach Siri pretty much anything you can ask her/him.

dec.
Jun 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
I like Siri, I use her all the time for timers (easier than opening the cooking app and setting a timer), notes, alarms and she has no problem with my weird british/german accent. Also she's fine with my name as it's a common english word as well (although she refers to me as "god" anyway, as I told her to do so).

MacDav
Jun 25, 2013, 04:34 PM
But it's pronounced "Wong."

Right...

carl0sian
Jun 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
Can't wait for iOs 7 to get released!!

Drunken Master
Jun 25, 2013, 06:49 PM
Right...

I live in Taiwan, trust me, 王 is 王.

MacDav
Jun 25, 2013, 07:37 PM
I live in Taiwan, trust me, 王 is 王.

I think your missing my joke...Wong when pronounced wrong sounds like the word wrong...Right?

JAT
Jun 25, 2013, 09:16 PM
Why on earth does this have anything to do with iOS7? Siri is all server-based. Upgrade the server system, tell us about it later or whenever. Stop wasting our time.

Beyongthewall
Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 PM
There is still a far way ahead for the tech products related to machine learning and voice recognition. The updated Siri is messed up with non-English names, a lot of work for Siri team to be solved. However, it is a good news !:D

Diatribe
Jun 26, 2013, 12:05 AM
What Siri desperately needs is a way to differentiate one language from another without having to strictly accept one at a time. There are many bilingual countries (and users) that have have to constantly use different language words in the same sentence.

This! That's the one thing I would love to have. There has to be more people needing this.

Nin3teen
Jun 26, 2013, 08:08 AM
That'd be a neat feature if my OS didn't crash several times a day. <3 Beta2

aardwolf
Jun 26, 2013, 08:25 AM
*name changed to protect the innocent*

Me: Pronounce Bettis.
Siri: It's pronounced "Interest"

Me: Pronounce Nicki Bettis.
Siri: Nikki Bettis not found in your contacts.

Me: Pronounce NICKI BETTIS.
Siri: Which NICKI BETTIS are you talking about?
a. Adam Bettis
b. Nicki Bettis

Me: <taps Nicki Bettis>
Siri: I'm sorry, Nicki Bettis is not found in your contacts.

joshdammit
Jun 26, 2013, 08:45 AM
Why on earth does this have anything to do with iOS7? Siri is all server-based. Upgrade the server system, tell us about it later or whenever. Stop wasting our time.

Because it's a feature that will be rolled out with iOS 7.

Wow, somebody's in a mood today, aren't they? For somebody who's so busy that scrolling past an update like this is a waste of time, you sure had enough time to comment, didn't you? Heck, you have time to browse a Mac news site, so somehow I don't think there's anybody dying in urgent care waiting for you.

Grow up.

TristanShi
Jun 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
Siri used 1% of battery to learn a name. (It's a tough task.)

pradeepgj
Jun 26, 2013, 09:45 AM
Would iOS7 Siri do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz0IT4Uk2xQ

blitzer09x87
Jun 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
Finally! now i will be able to msg/call through siri! great feature!:D

beaniemyman
Jun 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
cool! i really love the new siri, great UI, awesome male voice, more options, etc. its really cool

schrempws
Jun 27, 2013, 05:04 AM
looooooooooove it, because Siri sometimes can't recognized different accents of English

JAT
Jun 27, 2013, 11:26 AM
Because it's a feature that will be rolled out with iOS 7.

Wow, somebody's in a mood today, aren't they? For somebody who's so busy that scrolling past an update like this is a waste of time, you sure had enough time to comment, didn't you? Heck, you have time to browse a Mac news site, so somehow I don't think there's anybody dying in urgent care waiting for you.

Grow up.

Aww, did my annoyance about a company from California harm you personally? That's sad. But hey, make it personal about me and whether anybody in my family is sick. Thanks.

And my point is that it shouldn't be "a feature that will be rolled out with iOS 7", but simply a new feature. Stupid business plan, pretty much everything with Siri always has been.

Carlanga
Jun 27, 2013, 02:55 PM

Wrong... Siri is not ALL server based

nervouk
Jun 27, 2013, 10:11 PM
Thank god for that. My wife's family name is "Take****a" (Japanese) but English-speaking Siri gets it embarrassingly wrong no matter what I try to write in there.

----------

Thank god for that. My wife's family name is "Take****a" (Japanese) but English-speaking Siri gets it embarrassingly wrong no matter what I try to write in there.

LOL, seems my wife's name is too much even for MacRumor's built-in censor machine.:p

szw-mapple fan
Jun 28, 2013, 11:21 AM
I think your missing my joke...Wong when pronounced wrong sounds like the word wrong...Right?

Indeed. However, 王 is pronounced correctly as wah-ng rather than wong. But , I've given up a long time ago to have my friends pronounce it correctly. :D

tkhan456
Aug 26, 2013, 04:18 PM
Great feature that doesn't work at all. Just like most of Siri. I spent 30mins trying to get it to learn one name and it just keeps saying there's a problem. Sometimes it'll get the first name but then not the last name. It also then wouldn't remember it after.

Poke4Fun
Aug 29, 2013, 06:23 AM
wow Siri is getting smarter!

otismotive77
Aug 29, 2013, 06:33 AM
i hate it when siri cant pronounce names correctly, i hope this improvement will really work. siri is the best voice assistant.

spblat
Sep 11, 2013, 09:42 AM
This feature appears absent from the GM released yesterday. I don't know if it worked for all the betas.

MartiNZ
Sep 11, 2013, 11:06 PM
Well that's a shame! Not that it would have convinced me to use Siri, but it did seem like a step forward with amazing potential. I wonder if they collected the information from people pronouncing stuff when it was working.

chabig
Sep 21, 2013, 03:24 AM
I can't get Siri to change the pronunciation of my last name. She's only willing to change the first name.

thefourthpope
Sep 21, 2013, 01:36 PM
Five minutes later, and everything is set. Great interface.

spblat
Sep 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
I was absolutely, completely, wrong. When she says it wrong, say "you didn't pronounce that correctly."

spblat
Sep 22, 2013, 09:29 PM
I can't get Siri to change the pronunciation of my last name. She's only willing to change the first name.

I was prompted for first and last name.

chabig
Sep 22, 2013, 09:42 PM
Ahhh! I was happy with the pronunciation of the first name, and I never thought to proceed with it. Now I see it takes you through the first name, then the last name. Thank you.

emharper1992
Sep 23, 2013, 04:18 AM
I love how much more intelligent "she" has become, how much more "human" she sounds too. Hopefully in the years to come Apple will only continue to build upon Siri.

YanniDepp
Sep 23, 2013, 04:27 AM
The British voice of Siri can't even pronounce my name, and it's a pretty common name.

'Alex' is apparently 'Allux'.

spblat
Sep 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
I just learned that you can also start a conversation with "learn to pronounce jimmy's name."