PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 beta 3

batting1000
Jun 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
So, now that beta 2 is out, we can start looking forward to beta 3. :cool:

Do you think we'll be looking at another two weeks, longer, or shorter? Cult of Macs predictions say July 10th which is two weeks and two days...

We can use this thread to discuss beta 3.

ZacNicholson
Jun 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
there was already a thread about this and it went to the wasteland. i assume this one will too

batting1000
Jun 24, 2013, 10:30 PM
Why didn't the beta 2 thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594699) that was posted after beta 1 was released go to the wasteland? :confused:

egraphixstudios
Jun 24, 2013, 11:40 PM
Based on this i would say in 2-3 weeks for beta 3 release:
http://willhains.com/iOS-version-history

WhackyNinja
Jun 24, 2013, 11:43 PM
What I would like in Beta 3 is Quick Reply. Just my two cents on this thread.

AppleFanatic10
Jun 24, 2013, 11:45 PM

Someone was telling me that before. Quick Reply would be pretty awesome!:D

Virginaustralia
Jun 25, 2013, 12:52 AM
i have problems playing video in an app called 'free video' and it is annoying, but it cant compare to what they fixed in beta 2.

jmmo20
Jun 25, 2013, 04:41 AM
My bet is that beta 3 is not going to take 2 weeks, it will be out sooner, possibly next week.

There's a major bug when updating to beta 2 without restoring as a fresh iphone.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
Jun 25, 2013, 04:44 AM
My bet is that beta 3 is not going to take 2 weeks, it will be out sooner, possibly next week.

There's a major bug when updating to beta 2 without restoring as a fresh iphone.

NO theres not, I sure as hell haven't had a major bug and I updated without restoring as a fresh phone

bbfc
Jun 25, 2013, 04:46 AM

If there was a major bug it would be all over this forum, which is it not.

nephron8
Jun 25, 2013, 05:23 AM
NO theres not, I sure as hell haven't had a major bug and I updated without restoring as a fresh phone

I got screwed in it.
I got ota notification. I downloaded it. When I woke up it told me its ready to install.

But it would reboot phone and get stuck at install. Nothing could help and screen would be stuck on that.

Finally I had to visit local apple store where they happily restored my phone back to 6.1.4

robwilson
Jun 25, 2013, 07:25 AM
I got screwed in it.
I got ota notification. I downloaded it. When I woke up it told me its ready to install.

But it would reboot phone and get stuck at install. Nothing could help and screen would be stuck on that.

Finally I had to visit local apple store where they happily restored my phone back to 6.1.4

I used xcode to install the first beta and did the ota on this one, no issues...its a wonder the apple store helped you. You probably go a bad download.....:D

jmmo20
Jun 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
If there was a major bug it would be all over this forum, which is it not.

It is in the dev forums.

----------

If you are a developer you only need to visit the developer forums. If you had you'd know how huge this bug is.

nephron8
Jun 25, 2013, 09:28 AM
I used xcode to install the first beta and did the ota on this one, no issues...its a wonder the apple store helped you. You probably go a bad download.....:D

Hello,
I really got kind soul at apple store.
I agree.

Will download full ipsw and then try.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 01:48 PM

There's a major bug when updating to beta 2 without restoring as a fresh iphone.Yet tons of people here and many other places online have upgraded to beta 2 and using it just fine without restoring or anything like that. So, if there is an issue, it doesn't exactly seem like a major one (at least in the sense of how common/widespread it is).

Mabus51
Jun 25, 2013, 01:56 PM
I got screwed in it.

You just got impatient. It took 30 minutes on the iPhone4 install to finish after it started. But I slowly watched the progress bar creep until it finished. Figured it had a lot to repair being a delta update. The iPhone 5 took about 5 or 10 minutes for the install after download was complete.

GoCubsGo
Jun 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
As someone who uses a passcode, quick reply or anything quick from a lock screen is pointless. I think the passcode is far more important.

gmanist1000
Jun 25, 2013, 02:06 PM
As someone who uses a passcode, quick reply or anything quick from a lock screen is pointless. I think the passcode is far more important.

Quick reply from inside an app is what we want.

mrapplegate
Jun 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
It is in the dev forums.

----------

If you are a developer you only need to visit the developer forums. If you had you'd know how huge this bug is.

Can you link to the thread? I'm not seeing anything that stands out in the forums.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2013, 02:09 PM

Maybe there can be a setting to allow Quick Reply from the lock screen like with Control Center.

DDustiNN
Jun 25, 2013, 02:09 PM

What is the bug? I did the OTA update to beta 2 and it's been great. Better overall performance than beta 1, especially battery life.

GoCubsGo
Jun 25, 2013, 02:12 PM
Maybe there can be a setting to allow Quick Reply from the lock screen like with Control Center.

Maybe, but eventually and especially with messages, you're defeating the purpose. If you turn on everything to access via lock screen passcode or not, then why bother with a passcode at all?

----------

Quick reply from inside an app is what we want.

Explain, please.

----------

It is in the dev forums.

----------

Umm are you sure? I had no issue.

gmanist1000
Jun 25, 2013, 02:14 PM
Explain, please.

For example: I get a text while in Safari, I should be able to just reply from right there and send my message. I shouldn't be pulled OUT of Safari and into Messages.

MrBudgie
Jun 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
I heard the next beta was just going to be called The New Beta

GoCubsGo
Jun 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
For example: I get a text while in Safari, I should be able to just reply from right there and send my message. I shouldn't be pulled OUT of Safari and into Messages.

Oh! that would be nice. I honestly couldn't follow.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
Jun 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
No-one has yet to mention this "HUGE" bug on the dev forums, if this is really true, then simply state what the bug is, its not that hard!

mrapplegate
Jun 25, 2013, 02:35 PM
No-one has yet to mention this "HUGE" bug on the dev forums, if this is really true, then simply state what the bug is, its not that hard!

Exactly, I asked for the link to the thread. I can't seem to find it there, but who knows until someone points it out. Either way I had no issues.

GoCubsGo
Jun 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
Exactly, I asked for the link to the thread. I can't seem to find it there, but who knows until someone points it out. Either way I had no issues.

I think he had issues and therefore, it must be a total doomsday bug that is rocking the dev world as we type.

mrapplegate
Jun 25, 2013, 02:40 PM
I think he had issues and therefore, it must be a total doomsday bug that is rocking the dev world as we type.

Must be, but nothing in the forums has a reply count that would indicate a BIG BIG BUG. I guess we will all have to cancel our plans and wait for the link :D

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
Jun 25, 2013, 02:41 PM

haha, I agree!

ShiggyMiyamoto
Jun 25, 2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah if there's some showstopping crazy bug post about it. I've only had 1 random reboot since I installed b2. Otherwise it's been really responsive and really great. The text color for the top status stuff (carrier string / signal strength / network type etc) sometimes doesn't adapt its color from black to white when the background changes. That's super minor, but it's a great beta otherwise.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
Jun 25, 2013, 02:48 PM

Hello jmmo20???? Are you gonna back up your "TALE" of the "HUGE" bug of Beta 2?

gglittle
Jun 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
Oh boy oh boy beta 2
Oh boy oh boy beta 3
Oh boy oh boy beta 4
Oh boy oh boy beta 5
Oh boy oh boy beta 6
Oh boy oh boy beta 7
Oh boy oh boy beta 8
Oh boy oh boy beta 9
Oh boy oh boy beta A
Oh boy oh boy beta B
Oh boy oh boy beta C
Oh boy oh boy beta D
Oh boy oh boy beta E
Oh boy oh boy beta F
Oh boy oh boy beta 10
Oh boy oh boy beta 11...
Oh boy oh boy beta 12
Oh boy oh boy beta 13
Oh boy oh boy beta 14
Oh boy oh boy beta 15
Oh boy oh boy beta 16
Oh boy oh boy beta 17
Oh boy oh boy beta 18
Oh boy oh boy beta 19
Oh boy oh boy beta 1A
Oh boy oh boy beta 1B
Oh boy oh boy beta 1C
Oh boy oh boy beta 1D
Oh boy oh boy beta 1E
Oh boy oh boy beta 1F
Oh boy oh boy beta 20 ad infinitum

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
Jun 25, 2013, 03:51 PM
Oh boy oh boy beta 2
Oh boy oh boy beta 3
Oh boy oh boy beta 4
Oh boy oh boy beta 5
Oh boy oh boy beta 6
Oh boy oh boy beta 7
Oh boy oh boy beta 8
Oh boy oh boy beta 9
Oh boy oh boy beta A
Oh boy oh boy beta B
Oh boy oh boy beta C
Oh boy oh boy beta D
Oh boy oh boy beta E
Oh boy oh boy beta F
Oh boy oh boy beta 10
Oh boy oh boy beta 11...
Oh boy oh boy beta 12
Oh boy oh boy beta 13
Oh boy oh boy beta 14
Oh boy oh boy beta 15
Oh boy oh boy beta 16
Oh boy oh boy beta 17
Oh boy oh boy beta 18
Oh boy oh boy beta 19
Oh boy oh boy beta 1A
Oh boy oh boy beta 1B
Oh boy oh boy beta 1C
Oh boy oh boy beta 1D
Oh boy oh boy beta 1E
Oh boy oh boy beta 1F
Oh boy oh boy beta 20 ad infinitum

ugh, what?

robwilson
Jun 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
ugh, what?

Fanboy.....:D

inselstudent
Jun 25, 2013, 04:31 PM
Maybe, but eventually and especially with messages, you're defeating the purpose. If you turn on everything to access via lock screen passcode or not, then why bother with a passcode at all?

Well it could be made an option to show quick reply with enabled passcode, but anyway, it wouldn't be very Apple-esque to implement new features in a beta version, would it? I do support the idea of quick reply, but I doubt they are gonna implement it.

jmmo20
Jun 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hello jmmo20???? Are you gonna back up your "TALE" of the "HUGE" bug of Beta 2?

Just visit the developers forums and you'll see.
8 out of 10 messages are about problems getting beta 2 properly installed or restoring a backup after updating.

mrapplegate
Jun 25, 2013, 05:51 PM
Just visit the developers forums and you'll see.
8 out of 10 messages are about problems getting beta 2 properly installed or restoring a backup after updating.

Minutes after a new iOS release when are there not 8 to 10 messages about it "bricking" people's phone, or I can't download it. That does not constitute a big bug that you mentioned. A thread where an engineer replied and mentions a show stopping bug might be an example, but I see none of those.

jmmo20
Jun 25, 2013, 05:56 PM
Minutes after a new iOS release when are there not 8 to 10 messages about it "bricking" people's phone, or I can't download it. That does not constitute a big bug that you mentioned. A thread where an engineer replied and mentions a show stopping bug might be an example, but I see none of those.

Time will tell. When we see release notes of beta3 mentioning a fix of a bug preventing testers to restore backups, will you come back and apologise?

There is obviously a huge bug in the restore process of this beta 2. If you are blind enough as to deny it, it's your problem not mine.

mrapplegate
Jun 25, 2013, 06:00 PM
Time will tell. When we see release notes of beta3 mentioning a fix of a bug preventing testers to restore backups, will you come back and apologise?

There is obviously a huge bug in the restore process of this beta 2. If you are blind enough as to deny it, it's your problem not mine.

Nope, I won't offer any such apology, I was reading this thread and you mentioned a big bug that was preventing people from installing beta 2, now I find out there is no such bug. Actually it's not my problem because my install went fine.

jmmo20
Jun 25, 2013, 06:06 PM
Nope, I won't offer any such apology, I was reading this thread and you mentioned a big bug that was preventing people from installing beta 2, now I find out there is no such bug. Actually it's not my problem because my install went fine.

The fact that your install went fine says nothing.
If we based all our conclusions in one single beta tester, what would be the point of the whole beta process?

Fact is: a considerable percentage of beta testers are unable to update iOS without wiping clean all data. Some reports suggest that disabling find my iphone solves the issue. Other reports suggest that reseting all settings solves the issue. This means that there is probably a BUG in the update process when it finds some system setting it doesn't expect and then just sits there forever..

Since it is a BUG, we have all reported this BUG to Apple so it can be FIXED in the next beta seed so that this does NOT happen to end consumers at the end of the testing cycle.

If you fail to see the importance of this, then this makes me wonder why you are doing testing beta software at all?

Now go back to your rock and let me use my time in more important things.

rmeadejr
Jun 25, 2013, 06:07 PM
I also go on the Apple Developer Forum, yes some people are having issues, but i wouldn't call it a huge bug.

mrapplegate
Jun 25, 2013, 06:12 PM
If we based all our conclusions in one single beta tester, what would be the point of the whole beta process?

Fact is: a considerable percentage of beta testers are unable to update iOS without wiping clean all data. Some reports suggest that disabling find my iphone solves the issue. Other reports suggest that reseting all settings solves the issue. This means that there is probably a BUG in the update process when it finds some system setting it doesn't expect and then just sits there forever..

Since it is a BUG, we have all reported this BUG to Apple so it can be FIXED in the next beta seed so that this does NOT happen to end consumers at the end of the testing cycle.

If you fail to see the importance of this, then this makes me wonder why you are doing testing beta software at all?

There are always reports on the developer forums about installs going bad. No more so than usual each release. The point was you crying wolf about a big massive bug that was preventing people from upgrading. Numerous people asked you for the dev forum threads so we could monitor the massive bug, but you had no such threads and instead pointed to the fact that there were 8 or 10 people complaining. I won't take up any more of your precious time :rolleyes:

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 06:19 PM

There is obviously a huge bug in the restore process of this beta 2. If you are blind enough as to deny it, it's your problem not mine.If there's actually something that would signify that it's actually a major/huge/big bug, then perhaps there would be something to any of that. Otherwise, it can very well be a bug, but certainly not as it was presented here.

Defender2010
Jun 26, 2013, 03:05 AM

Fact is you are talking through your hat. I work with a team of developers and not one has had this issue - any major bugs in fact. Your facts are meaningless.

rockyroad55
Jun 26, 2013, 08:21 AM
I would love to be able to toggle Location Services in control center.

GoCubsGo
Jun 26, 2013, 08:22 AM
Fact is you are talking through your hat. I work with a team of developers and not one has had this issue - any major bugs in fact. Your facts are meaningless.

Are we still on his doomsday bug that only really affected him and a few others?

lulla01
Jun 26, 2013, 08:27 AM
Three things I want.

Quick Reply, the ability to move multiple icons into folders & the ability to close all apps in multi tasking at once.

C DM
Jun 26, 2013, 10:08 AM
Are we still on his doomsday bug that only really affected him and a few others?At least that appears to be a more tangible discussion than randomly and essentially pointlessly guessing future beta dates or listing random wishlists of features that would somehow miraculously appear in a simple beta update. ;)

jmmo20
Jun 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
Are we still on his doomsday bug that only really affected him and a few others?

You people are truly amazing. I don't know why I even bother.
Yes, you can all hide your heads under the sand.

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/192676?tstart=0
At least 15 developers

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/192123?tstart=0
3800 views and 71 messages, and I won't count the number of developers affected

Thirdly, upon reporting this as a bug apple has designated it as serious bug and duplicated, meaning they have a lot more reports in this regard.

----------

At least that appears to be a more tangible discussion than randomly and essentially pointlessly guessing future beta dates or listing random wishlists of features that would somehow miraculously appear in a simple beta update. ;)

Yes I can imagine millions of consumers would be extremely happy if this "no-bug" made it to the final iOS release.

But since it is NOT a bug theres no need to worry, anyone.

batting1000
Jun 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
So beta 1 expires July 24th and beta 2 was released on June 24th. Beta 2 expires on August 8th so will beta 3 be out July 8th (2 weeks after beta 2's release)?

jfware
Jun 26, 2013, 03:00 PM
So beta 1 expires July 24th and beta 2 was released on June 24th. Beta 2 expires on August 8th so will beta 3 be out July 8th (2 weeks after beta 2's release)?

There's a good chance it will but not necessarily.

Droidrage729
Jun 26, 2013, 03:00 PM

I'd say that's a good guess. Probably close to that date.

JohnnyW2001
Jun 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
Might even be closer given the severity of some of the bugs in Beta 2.

C DM
Jun 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
You people are truly amazing. I don't know why I even bother.
Yes, you can all hide your heads under the sand.

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/192676?tstart=0
At least 15 developers

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/192123?tstart=0
3800 views and 71 messages, and I won't count the number of developers affected

Thirdly, upon reporting this as a bug apple has designated it as serious bug and duplicated, meaning they have a lot more reports in this regard.

----------

Yes I can imagine millions of consumers would be extremely happy if this "no-bug" made it to the final iOS release.

But since it is NOT a bug theres no need to worry, anyone.There's a difference between a bug, and a critical/big/huge bug (the latter being the way it was presented in the thread). Right? Right.

VSMacOne
Jun 26, 2013, 03:47 PM

I think they're saving this one for the public reveal in the Fall.

imaginex20
Jun 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
I think they're saving this one for the public reveal in the Fall.

I agree, quick reply looks like it is coming. I can't phantom why the notification bar is so big. It is begging for some kind of actions. Mavericks has it already so its just a matter of time, surprise feature?

WhackyNinja
Jun 26, 2013, 04:36 PM
I agree, quick reply looks like it is coming. I can't phantom why the notification bar is so big. It is begging for some kind of actions. Mavericks has it already so its just a matter of time, surprise feature?

Quick Reply would be the cherry on top this magnificent OS

jmmo20
Jun 26, 2013, 04:59 PM
There's a difference between a bug, and a critical/big/huge bug (the latter being the way it was presented in the thread). Right? Right.

You don't consider a critical bug one in which a specific group of settings would cause the whole installation process to hang temporarily disabling the user's phone?

Granted, we are developers and can fix this issue by either installing fresh, reverting back to ios 6 or investigating further, but if this is not resolved then millions of customers could pottentially "brick" their phones when it comes to the GM.

Apparently resetting all settings prior to updating to seed 2 solves the problem for everyone affected. Consequently we can infer that there was a bug in the update process.

And yes, a bug that bricks the phone, even temporarily, is a critical bug.
One that is not critical is, for example, the status bar shadow issue.

C DM
Jun 26, 2013, 05:17 PM
You don't consider a critical bug one in which a specific group of settings would cause the whole installation process to hang temporarily disabling the user's phone?

Granted, we are developers and can fix this issue by either installing fresh, reverting back to ios 6 or investigating further, but if this is not resolved then millions of customers could pottentially "brick" their phones when it comes to the GM.

Apparently resetting all settings prior to updating to seed 2 solves the problem for everyone affected. Consequently we can infer that there was a bug in the update process.

And yes, a bug that bricks the phone, even temporarily, is a critical bug.
One that is not critical is, for example, the status bar shadow issue.There is also a difference between a severity of an issue and essentially how widespread it is. There can certainly be very severe issues, but if they only apply in some very limited cases, and thus only affect a very small subset of users (and even only sometimes perhaps), those bugs overall might not create a necessity of a rush for a quick fix and a truly big deal made out of them.

The way the information was presented in this thread earlier is that there is some sort of a big issue that would really warrant something different and a rushed update in relation to it, meaning the issue would not only be severe but also widespread. That doesn't appear to be the case, which is what most, for the most part, have been trying to point out.

Now, perhaps the wording used in the original comments about this and the follow ups didn't quite draw distinctions between different aspects that might apply to the bug, so that could have contributed to the way the discussion of it has turned out in this thread.

What it comes down to it seems is this: it's not really about how big/huge the bug in question might be, but about how bad it is, which is somewhat different.

batting1000
Jun 28, 2013, 09:55 AM
BGR says b3 is on schedule for a release on July 8th.

http://bgr.com/2013/06/28/ios-7-beta-3-download-release-july-8/