PDA

View Full Version : Who currently misses ios 6. that is using ios 7 now?

DBZmusicboy01
Jun 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
I love both
But I downgraded and when I use ios 6 again I missed it enough that I don't wanna go back
Should there be a
Classic Mode
On the final ios 7?
Old theme with the new features

Tmelon
Jun 24, 2013, 11:54 PM
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm missing some of the skeuomorphism. I also miss the icons from iOS 6 and before, but the new features are worth my minor gripes.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 24, 2013, 11:57 PM
Nope, don't miss it at all. But that's just me. I'm not really nit picky about the minor details, I think overall ios 7 looks neat and fresh, and hopefully after ironing out all the bugs and app crashes, it'll work great too!

And I don't think Apple would ever add the old UI back, Apple loves uniformity, and the fact that they've developed this new UI means that they don't want the old anymore.

AgentElliot007
Jun 25, 2013, 12:00 AM
I genuinely love iOS 7 on the iPhone 5, in spite of the ugly icons and less than flattering color palette. So much of it is just so great that I wouldn't want to go back to 6, and it's worked just fine for me so far as well.

But the iPad is a completely different story. I love the new features, I think the lock screen and notification center look great, but the design sensibility of all the stock apps just isn't appealing to me on this larger screen. I really like most of it on the iPhone, but on the the iPad, it just doesn't feel right. Can't quite put my finger on why yet, but I just don't much care for it, which again, is the exact opposite of how I've felt about iOS 7 on the iPhone.

A few more of my thoughts on this matter were posted in another thread, but all in all, while I'm fine with the performance quirks of this beta on the iPad, the overall look and feel of it have me thinking I'll be back on 6 by Wednesday if not sooner. But what worries me is that I know I'm going to want to be using the 7 features eventually with new apps, but if little changes as far as how it all looks, I'm going to be staring at my first major iOS grievance come this fall. There's always been little things, but the design of iOS 7 as it stands right now just doesn't feel right for this device.

Hopefully my opinion magically changes in the next day or so as I use it more, but I instantly loved iOS 7 on the iPhone. I thought I'd love it on the iPad, but right now, I am thinking for the first time that the leather and oddly-used linen backgrounds weren't really that terrible. That's unfortunate.

springsup
Jun 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
Not fond of iOS7 on the iPad.

I actually don't like the new notification centre on it; it now takes the full width and height of the screen, which makes it harder to dismiss (you need to reach down to the bottom).

DBZmusicboy01
Jun 25, 2013, 12:13 AM
I genuinely love iOS 7 on the iPhone 5, in spite of the ugly icons and less than flattering color palette. So much of it is just so great that I wouldn't want to go back to 6, and it's worked just fine for me so far as well.

But the iPad is a completely different story. I
love the new features, I think the lock screen and notification center look great, but the design sensibility of all the stock apps just isn't appealing to me on this larger screen. I really like most of it on the iPhone, but on the the iPad, it just doesn't feel right. Can't quite put my finger on why yet, but I just don't much care for it, which again, is the exact opposite of how I've felt about iOS 7 on the iPhone.

A few more of my thoughts on this matter were posted in another thread, but all in all, while I'm fine with the performance quirks of this beta on the iPad, the overall look and feel of it have me thinking I'll be back on 6 by Wednesday if not sooner. But what worries me is that I know I'm going to want to be using the 7 features eventually with new apps, but if little changes as far as how it all looks, I'm going to be staring at my first major iOS grievance come this fall. There's always been little things, but the design of iOS 7 as it stands right now just doesn't feel right for this device.

Hopefully my opinion magically changes in the next day or so as I use it more, but I instantly loved iOS 7 on the iPhone. I thought I'd love it on the iPad, but right now, I am thinking for the first time that the leather and oddly-used linen backgrounds weren't really that terrible. That's unfortunate.

I agree
Ios 7 doesn't feel right on iPad

AgentElliot007
Jun 25, 2013, 12:17 AM
Not fond of iOS7 on the iPad.

I actually don't like the new notification centre on it; it now takes the full width and height of the screen, which makes it harder to dismiss (you need to reach down to the bottom).

I can understand this, and do somewhat agree. I would prefer a solution that took up less of the screen or at least made better use of the extra space. But I think the overall design and look of it work well on the iPad.

Armen
Jun 25, 2013, 12:26 AM
iOS 6 can vanish for all I care. I've already adjusted to iOS 7.

WhackyNinja
Jun 25, 2013, 12:28 AM
iOS 6? Whats that?

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 12:37 AM
iOS 6 is too primitive in my eyes.

WhackyNinja
Jun 25, 2013, 12:45 AM
iOS 6 is too primitive in my eyes.

Bro. iOS 6 is so primitive it hurt just looking at it.

mreffinsweet
Jun 25, 2013, 12:46 AM
ya... iOS 6 is dead to me now...

petvas
Jun 25, 2013, 12:52 AM
I prefer iOS 7. iOS 6 looks classic and it is a great OS, but iOS 7 is like a breath of fresh air.

KattDaDon
Jun 25, 2013, 01:27 AM
I don't miss iOS 6 not one freaking bit

fotuwe
Jun 25, 2013, 02:00 AM
iOS6 is just much more familiar
Thats why I feel "home" while being on iOS6 .. I guess I will wait for the GM now.
Tried out Beta1 ... back to iOS6 .. Beta 2 ... back to iOS6 ..

Night Spring
Jun 25, 2013, 02:03 AM
I don't miss iOS 6, because I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future. I installed iOS 7 on my old iPhone 4S to try, but my iPhone 5 and my iPads will be staying on 6.

I've talked about my problems with iOS 7 in other threads, so won't repeat them here. Suffice it to say that I could learn to live with the flat pastel icons, but the changes in UI constitutes a real degradation in usability for me.

8a22a
Jun 25, 2013, 02:26 AM
I can barely remember what iOS 6 is like now and I've only been using iOS 7 for 3 days. :D

Holly.j
Feb 1, 2014, 07:49 AM
I miss the user interface of ios 6 but love the features of ios 7... For people who really miss the old ios buy an ipod touch 4th gen and use it when ever you feel you miss ios 6

SilverGhost
Feb 1, 2014, 09:33 AM
I miss 6, and I cant even spell skumorphism! I love the way Apple justified replacing easy to see graphics, with invisible lines and the 'flat' look. For example, they were very proud of getting rid of the "faux leather" icon for contacts.

OF COURSE IT WAS "FAUX" LEATHER - IT'S A DRAWING, NOT ACTUAL MATERIAL! IT'S ALL "FAUX"! <rant off>

It occurred to me - how were the geniuses who decided to stop taking advantage of Retina super graphics, know the leather was faux and not real? Too funny.

WhiteSponge
Feb 1, 2014, 09:40 AM
not really but iOS7 does have its issues too ~

petvas
Feb 1, 2014, 11:04 AM
not really but iOS7 does have its issues too ~

Nobody said otherwise. It is a bold step to a new direction. I believe we will see its design mature when iOS 8 comes out. It will soften all rough edges.

sixrom
Feb 1, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'll celebrate once the days of iOS 7 are over.

Rodster
Feb 1, 2014, 11:10 AM
Nobody said otherwise. It is a bold step to a new direction. I believe we will see its design mature when iOS 8 comes out. It will soften all rough edges.

I hope so because there are many design features I like about iOS 7.

MacMan988
Feb 1, 2014, 11:25 AM
I like iOS 7

WhiteSponge
Feb 1, 2014, 06:52 PM

Definitely looking forward to iOS 8 ~

patrickgerr
Feb 2, 2014, 02:35 AM
Wouldn't have mind iOS 7 if it worked better than iOS 6. iOS 6 is faster and drains less battery than ios 7

The Clark
Feb 2, 2014, 02:52 AM
I'm slowly starting to miss it, but I have nothing against iOS7. Just good memories on iOS6 :)

LadyX
Feb 2, 2014, 02:53 AM
Not me.

sunking101
Feb 2, 2014, 08:29 AM
Whilst I'll agree that iOS6 looks dated compared to iOS7; the battery drain, Safari issues and lag compared to iOS6 are a killer. Performance should ALWAYS come before looks with software. Visuals are the icing on the cake when everything else is running smoothly. iOS7 is badly programmed and is inexcusable in its current state really.

MisakixMikasa
Feb 2, 2014, 10:25 AM
I am fine with iOS 7 on iPad mini retina display. But let me downgrade my iPod Touch, iPad mini and iPad 3 back to iOS 6. I know I would miss control centre and swipe gesture, but still better than iOS 7 on these devices.

AHDuke99
Feb 3, 2014, 11:27 PM
iOS 7 has made my iPad pretty much unusual, drains my iPhone battery twice as quickly as iOS 6, and the lag and long animations basically mean it takes me twice as long to get anything done than it did on iOS 6.

In short, if apple allowed downgrading, I'd go back in a second.

Tar Sniffer
Feb 4, 2014, 02:18 AM
I miss the polish and playfulness of iOS 6. Rubber band like sidebars, the gooey blob to receive emails, Siri's skeuomorphic elements, shadows, and the gorgeous icons were all fantastic. At the same time I'm glad those dark grays and blues that were in every app are now gone, but I'm not to pleased about the blinding white that replaced it.

iOS 7 is slowly growing on me, but my phone doesn't make me smile like it once did. I use to love iOS because of the detail, but now I see it more as a tool rather than than a peice of art. I appreciate Apple's ambitious effort to simplify iOS further and remove unnecessary clutter, but blue text on a white vacant background is far from creative or aesthetically better. I've shopped around for other phones but in the end I've decided to stay with Apple, because iOS still functions like iOS.

hazuki
Feb 6, 2014, 09:38 AM
i miss iOS6 Music app :(

BenTrovato
Feb 6, 2014, 09:48 AM
I miss the speed and fluidity of 6 but 7 looks so much better.

Altis
Feb 6, 2014, 01:10 PM
I miss the speed and fluidity of 6 but 7 looks so much better.

I'm blown away how fast an iPhone 5 is on iOS 6... I feel like a dog off leash! I will be much happier when Apple addresses the massive delays in touch response during animations.

The crispness of the looks of iOS 7 are to my liking, and while I despise the stark whiteness of everything, it inverts to nearly all black.

petvas
Feb 6, 2014, 03:23 PM
iOS 7 is such a breath of fresh air, that despite its stability problems and slow animations (prior 7.1), that I cannot look back. iOS 6 was solid, had a very nice design, but started to look old.
iOS 7 is much nicer, and yes, some design issues still exist, but Apple is listening to feedback and trying to fix all of them.
I am happy with everything Apple has done with iOS, except from the animations when a folder opens. I would prefer a different way to do that.

ardchoille42
Feb 6, 2014, 03:38 PM
The "flat" look was inevitable. Google did it when Android moved to Gingerbread and Microsoft did it when they moved to the Metro UI.

The flat UI has many advantages, including smaller file sizes for the UI elements. Smaller file sizes mean lower storage space requirements as well as lower bandwidth requirements.

I didn't like the iOS 7 UI at first, but now I don't mind it.

fcomstoc
Feb 6, 2014, 03:47 PM
I do miss the look of ios 6 but I do like the functionality added in ios 7, ardchoille42 makes a good point about free space, the iphones have the more usable free space compared to other smart phones (1st and 3rd) smaller ui elements and better efficiency help with that.

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/phones-3/phone-storage-compared-samsung-s4-still-in-last-place/

dannyyankou
Feb 6, 2014, 04:52 PM
iOS 7 is the main reason I upgraded from the iPod touch 4g to 5g.

lyceumHQ
Feb 7, 2014, 02:37 PM
Updated to iOS 7 last week. Really dislike it.

Looks as if my three year old cousin designed it with some crayons. Feels clunky and IMO nowhere near as slick as iOS 6.

I have jail broken so have a theme to get iOS 6 icons back. But still I'd happily go back to iOS 6 if it were possible.

I dislike it to the point I'm thinking of going android for the year and waiting to see what iOS 8 brings.

BvizioN
Feb 9, 2014, 11:32 AM
I'll celebrate once the days of iOS 7 are over.

Absolutely, me too. But that's not because I don't like iOS 7 (I love it) but because it will get even better ;)

Dirtysand
Feb 10, 2014, 07:33 PM
Count me in. The safari crashes, music app bugs/glitches, and battery drain are really really annoying issues.

ProGamStr16
Feb 11, 2014, 05:43 AM
IOS 7 is really bad it's slow,destroys the battery, and you can't downgrade

I'm in the middle of a downgrader but it is in development only works with 7.0.3

DO NOT UPDATE TO IOS 7.0.4/5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't get wifi or Bluetooth

terrywfoster
Feb 11, 2014, 09:17 AM
I like 6 & 7. I like features on both. As fast as looks go I would love to go back to 6 and be able merge the features of both.

ProGamStr16
Feb 11, 2014, 05:54 PM
If you want to downgrade look at REDSN0W it is the best jailbreak tool and it also has restore for downgrading but wait for the new version

Also for RECOVERY MODE use "RecBoot" kicks it out of it and no Restore

cammyg123
Feb 11, 2014, 06:15 PM
When iOS 7 was first released for download and installation, and once I had installed it, I was totally against it.

I wanted iOS 6 back desperately. The simplicity and elegance of iOS 6 was unbelievable when you compared it to all of iOS 7's new features at the time.

But looking back on it, I realized I just wasn't very used to all of iOS 7's UI changes and such. And using it now, with all of its features it has included, it's opened up a whole world of possibility for the devices it can be run on.

Yes, I'll agree with most of the people here that the functionality of iOS 6 was unbelievable, simple and easy to use. To counter, I think iOS 7 is easy to use in its own ways.

Once Apple fixes the the vast bugs amount that are with iOS 7, it will grown on many more people.

All in all, iOS 7 is the way of the future and Apple is not turning back, so you might as well do you're best to cope with the new changes, because they are here to stay.

nfl46
Feb 12, 2014, 06:48 AM
Naw, I'm fine with iOS 7. It's still new and hasn't even had its first major update yet. Patience.

musio
Feb 14, 2014, 03:57 PM
Bring back sharp squares of ios 6 instead of the kiddy land bubbles of ios 7! The roundness of ios7 bugs me.

CausticSoda
Feb 14, 2014, 04:05 PM
I love iOS 7, but it does drain the battery. I wish they had made the iPhone 5S thicker and used that extra space for a larger battery.

FelixDerKater
Feb 15, 2014, 12:11 AM
I enjoy the functionality of iOS 7, but miss the look of iOS 6, especially the notification center.

ionjohn
Feb 15, 2014, 01:53 AM
I miss iOS 6, next time, I'll make sure it's worth upgrading.

:(

numlock
Feb 15, 2014, 01:53 PM

what is bold about it?

since 7 is newer it should in theory be better and more feature packed but there are some things done better before. and as others have said it looks worse on an ipad

Dreamliner330
Feb 15, 2014, 03:01 PM
I'm on a jailbroken iP5 running 6.1.3 and I can outpace my friends iP5s in just about any system task. That said, iOS7 looks kinda nice. And now that a JB is out, in tempted (waiting for IntelliScreen first).

The Doctor11
Feb 15, 2014, 08:44 PM
Should there be a
Classic Mode
On the final ios 7?

Absolutely not!

Tech guy
Feb 15, 2014, 09:07 PM
I love the new ios it is so much better, I have 6 on my iPod and it is still nice but I like the new one more

Altis
Feb 16, 2014, 08:56 AM
Absolutely not!

You're very opposed to something that would have absolutely no effect on you at all...

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 09:20 AM
You're very opposed to something that would have absolutely no effect on you at all...
Yeah cuz I don't want to see people walking around with it. When I see people on iOS 6 I tell them to upgrade. I tell people I don't know too

C DM
Feb 16, 2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah cuz I don't want to see people walking around with it. When I see people on iOS 6 I tell them to upgrade. I tell people I don't know tooThat certainly makes a lot of sense.

sunking101
Feb 16, 2014, 10:29 AM
Yeah cuz I don't want to see people walking around with it. When I see people on iOS 6 I tell them to upgrade. I tell people I don't know too

Yes, tell them to press a button and install much worse battery life and safari crashes/performance issues. I wouldn't have upgraded had I known what was in store for me. In fact after this debacle I will never upgrade the o/s on an iPhone again! It will stay with whatever it ships with.

Tyler23
Feb 16, 2014, 10:42 AM
Yes, tell them to press a button and install much worse battery life and safari crashes/performance issues. I wouldn't have upgraded had I known what was in store for me. In fact after this debacle I will never upgrade the o/s on an iPhone again! It will stay with whatever it ships with.

And what device do you have? I had a 5 running iOS 7 before I upgraded to the 5s and it worked flawlessly. My fiancées 4S runs iOS 7 very well, too.

ABC5S
Feb 16, 2014, 10:47 AM
Naw, I'm fine with iOS 7. It's still new and hasn't even had its first major update yet. Patience.

Like it and will look forward to 7.1 Have had no issues for me on my iPhone 5S at all.

Altis
Feb 16, 2014, 11:08 AM

You don't want to see people walking around with it? Maybe they don't want 7? Do you also warn them of possible issues and changes they might not like? And if they did make a "Classic Mode" (iOS 7 with the looks of 6), what difference would it make to you then?

Kids these days... :rolleyes:

cammyg123
Feb 16, 2014, 11:09 AM
Should there be a
Classic Mode
On the final ios 7?

No no no. It wouldn't really work quite correct.

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 11:18 AM
I would upgrade to iOS 7.0 a hundred times over again. I love the new UI and the new features.
You don't want to see people walking around with it? Maybe they don't want 7? Do you also warn them of possible issues and changes they might not like? And if they did make a "Classic Mode" (iOS 7 with the looks of 6), what difference would it make to you then?

Kids these days... :rolleyes:
I don't want no classic mode. And I don't care what they want I want to see some amazing numbers at WWDC. Get used to it.

Sirious
Feb 16, 2014, 11:23 AM
iOS 6 was great for what it was.
But iOS 7 is a breath of fresh air for me, so I really like it a lot :)

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 11:25 AM
iOS 6 was great for what it was.
But iOS 7 is a breath of fresh air for me, so I really like it a lot :)

Yup that says it all

Altis
Feb 16, 2014, 11:26 AM
I would upgrade to iOS 7.0 a hundred times over again. I love the new UI and the new features.

I don't want no classic mode. And I don't care what they want I want to see some amazing numbers at WWDC. Get used to it.

Amazing numbers? Are you referring to the number of devices that have upgraded to iOS 7? (As if it's really that shocking that most would hit update, and can't even go back). Why do those numbers mean so much to you?

My SO and brother still use iOS 6 on their iPhones, because they prefer it (mostly due to the responsiveness, and the music/calendar apps).

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 12:08 PM
Amazing numbers? Are you referring to the number of devices that have upgraded to iOS 7? (As if it's really that shocking that most would hit update, and can't even go back). Why do those numbers mean so much to you?

My SO and brother still use iOS 6 on their iPhones, because they prefer it (mostly due to the responsiveness, and the music/calendar apps).

I just like to see that 95%+ of people have updated and I know the numbers mean a lot to apple so I really just sorta work for apple. I also sell stuff to people I know on Black Friday I was able to sell a MacBook Air to my moms friend because she knew I liked tech and asked me what a good laptop is so I said mac books and she didn't like the price but I told her she didn't need to buy office for over $100 and she ran out and got a mac. Now I just need a mac.

sunking101
Feb 16, 2014, 01:01 PM
I just like to see that 95%+ of people have updated and I know the numbers mean a lot to apple so I really just sorta work for apple. I also sell stuff to people I know on Black Friday I was able to sell a MacBook Air to my moms friend because she knew I liked tech and asked me what a good laptop is so I said mac books and she didn't like the price but I told her she didn't need to buy office for over $100 and she ran out and got a mac. Now I just need a mac.

So you're an Apple fanboy.

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 01:40 PM
So you're an Apple fanboy.

Yeah a lot. That's why I'm on this site.

Kilamite
Feb 16, 2014, 01:48 PM
Battery life (though iOS 5 was the best for me), and overall snappy-ness because iOS 6 < had really snappy and quick animations. Everything just feels far too sluggish, and I like the flat look for certain things, Messages looks really nice, but the home screen really could do with being a bit sleeker.

When I use iOS 6, it feels really stale and I appreciate iOS 7's use of a less obtrusive button design etc. Overall I love iOS 7, it's just the battery life and animation speeds that are killing it for me.

ardchoille42
Feb 16, 2014, 01:52 PM
Someone said that there should be a classic mode. I don't think that would be a good idea. including a classic mode would mean that Apple would have to maintain two complete UI's. That would cause a large increase in the size of the code base as well as cause Apple to expend resources maintaining elements of the two different user interfaces (graphics, code, etc.) - I would rather not have my phone wasting precious memory for something that I won't ever use (bloatware?). And this would eventually lengthen the upgrade process as both UI's would need to be checked, re-worked, and tested before future upgrades can be released.. not to mention possibly confusing and irritating beta testers.

We all have our desires, but we need to think about what our desires might mean to those who implement them, and sometimes that causes more work for others.

C DM
Feb 16, 2014, 02:28 PM

I don't want no classic mode. And I don't care what they want I want to see some amazing numbers at WWDC. Get used to it.Yup, someone wanting a simple option that doesn't affect anyone else will somehow affect someone else.

Tyler23
Feb 16, 2014, 02:56 PM
Yup, someone wanting a simple option that doesn't affect anyone else will somehow affect someone else.

Regardless, Apple's direction is clear. They are moving forward and will not implement a "classic mode." They're going to continue with their new path.

C DM
Feb 16, 2014, 03:07 PM
Regardless, Apple's direction is clear. They are moving forward and will not implement a "classic mode." They're going to continue with their new path.That part of it all I certainly agree with.

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 04:18 PM
Regardless, Apple's direction is clear. They are moving forward and will not implement a "classic mode." They're going to continue with their new path.
Yeah apples got there path and we should follow it.

chrf097
Feb 16, 2014, 04:23 PM
My mom recently got a 4th Gen iPad for her job, and it's still on iOS 6, and I definitely felt some nostalgia (and iOS 6 isn't even that old), but I don't miss it. I like iOS 7 much more.

Altis
Feb 16, 2014, 04:26 PM
Yeah apples got there path and we should follow it.

How about, Apples got their path, and we should each decide whether to follow it, follow it with criticism so that it improves and addresses its faults, stay on iOS 6, or change platforms. ;)

The Doctor11
Feb 16, 2014, 04:39 PM
How about, Apples got their path, and we should each decide whether to follow it, follow it with criticism so that it improves and addresses its faults, stay on iOS 6, or change platforms. ;)

I don't remember who said this but some one on here in one of these threads said something completely true. People make bad choices. Those aren't the exact words they used but basically if you give people power to do what ever they want on an os they just screw everything all up. I though all the way up to today that people should make their own OS decisions. Witch is weird didn't read that tread today read it days ago. don't now what happened this morning but today I'm thinking we need apple To keep all the other people on this planet in line. My one friend on android made a whole page for flappy bird he made it huge and changed the logo to a screen shot of his high score. We don't need people doing stuff like that on iOS. Apple I have a whole new look at life today you make the rules but fulfill feature request. Cough cough quick reply

mohammed-eg
Feb 16, 2014, 07:55 PM
I will pay to restor my 4th gen ipad to ios 6 man really i hope ios 7.1 solve laggy keyboard and rotate and safari problem

Altis
Feb 16, 2014, 11:54 PM
I don't remember who said this but some one on here in one of these threads said something completely true. People make bad choices. Those aren't the exact words they used but basically if you give people power to do what ever they want on an os they just screw everything all up. I though all the way up to today that people should make their own OS decisions. Witch is weird didn't read that tread today read it days ago. don't now what happened this morning but today I'm thinking we need apple To keep all the other people on this planet in line. My one friend on android made a whole page for flappy bird he made it huge and changed the logo to a screen shot of his high score. We don't need people doing stuff like that on iOS. Apple I have a whole new look at life today you make the rules but fulfill feature request. Cough cough quick reply

I'm struggling a little but I think I understand most of what you're saying. I just politely disagree in some regards.

Everyone uses their phones/tablets differently, and to say that doing something like your friend did is wrong isn't really fair. It probably made them happy, even though to you and I, it isn't to our tastes. For example, giving the option to change the four buttons at the bottom of the Control Center to other things (such as changing Timer to Alarms) only enhances the devices' capability to be configured to be as useful to the user as possible. I do not need Mr. Ive's favorite shortcuts, I need the ones I use. ;)

The one-size-fits-all solution simply doesn't work for the hundreds of millions of users. Apple makes all kinds of design mistakes (the hockey puck mouse will always be one that comes to my mind), and iOS 7 is no exception. It's only by being critical (constructively) that things improve.

As much as I can appreciate those (including you) who really like iOS 7, I can certainly understand those who don't. Sure, it should get better in the coming months. But the people who find their devices much more sluggish, less stable, usability issues (such as in Calenders and Music)... they have very valid reasons to not like iOS 7 - even disregarding the look of it.

Personally, I like the crispness of iOS 7, the fonts, some of the colors, the new Safari.... but the sluggish feel of navigating the OS (not the apps themselves necessarily) is enough alone to make me miss iOS 6. I just hope it is addressed.

atari1356
Feb 17, 2014, 07:49 AM
Personally, I like the crispness of iOS 7, the fonts, some of the colors, the new Safari.... but the sluggish feel of navigating the OS (not the apps themselves necessarily) is enough alone to make me miss iOS 6. I just hope it is addressed.

Have you tried this yet? (makes navigating the OS much faster)

open Settings app
tap "General"
tap "Accessibility"
tap "Reduce Motion" and switch it on

Traverse
Feb 17, 2014, 08:24 AM
I miss the old open and close animation. Quick, efficient, and smooth.

I don't want to disable all animation, but the new swoosh in from app icon seems to take an unnecessary amount of time.

----------

open Settings app
tap "General"
tap "Accessibility"

Maybe he wants motion, just not slow motion.

sunking101
Feb 17, 2014, 08:27 AM
Yeah a lot. That's why I'm on this site.

I'm on this site purely because I have problems with my Apple device and not because I worship them.

Altis
Feb 17, 2014, 09:05 AM

open Settings app
tap "General"
tap "Accessibility"

Of course. It makes it even worse...

With the animations enabled, the touch response is disabled while it is performing it's animation (about 1200-2000 ms)... But, this is also true with the animations disabled; the duration of the touch input being disabled is the same in both cases.

However, when you disable the animations, the fading occurs much faster. So, you think the animation is done, but you still have to wait for the input to be enabled. At least with animations on, you're less likely to start typing/swiping/tapping before it's ready, because the animation consumes more of the time.

It isn't so much the animations that bother me, although I'd really like them to be quicker... It's that the screen doesn't respond for a bit after. It's the missed keyboard taps or navigation swipes that really disrupt the flow.

Hope this is easy to follow.

Dreamliner330
Feb 17, 2014, 05:12 PM

With the animations enabled, the touch response is disabled while it is performing it's animation (about 1200-2000 ms)... But, this is also true with the animations disabled; the duration of the touch input being disabled is the same in both cases.

However, when you disable the animations, the fading occurs much faster. So, you think the animation is done, but you still have to wait for the input to be enabled. At least with animations on, you're less likely to start typing/swiping/tapping before it's ready, because the animation consumes more of the time.

It isn't so much the animations that bother me, although I'd really like them to be quicker... It's that the screen doesn't respond for a bit after. It's the missed keyboard taps or navigation swipes that really disrupt the flow.

I hope they fix that. I wonder if speeding up animations with Jailbreak fixes it.

For Apple to fix it, they first have to admit its an issue. (Still waiting to be able to add a track I'm listening to quickly to an on-the-go playlist...like the press-and-hold feature on iPod classic).

petvas
Feb 19, 2014, 09:40 AM

In 7.1 animations are much faster, but responsiveness after the animations is sadly the same as before.
I believe that there should be different animations than the ones we currently have. The folder open animation is for me the greatest issue in iOS 7. It feels unnatural, causes my hand to move away from the actual position of the folder (because the folder opens up in the middle of the screen, no matter what where the folder's position actually is..) and it slows me down. Disabling animations is certainly better, but I have to admit I still have animations on in 7.1. I wanted to test if the increased speed solves these issues. Unfortunately it doesn't solve all of them.

Altis
Feb 19, 2014, 10:12 AM
In 7.1 animations are much faster, but responsiveness after the animations is sadly the same as before.

I am no longer really looking forward to 7.1. It's such a pain to deal with, even for the 5-6 months on 7.0. I always loved that "Apple feel", how responsive the iOS devices felt. Now, it's sluggish. I'm surprised Apple doesn't think this is worth addressing.

Sadly, my once superb iPhone is now speed-limited by the lack of response following each animation, and I can't really afford to start exploring new phone options.

tacotester1
Feb 19, 2014, 05:48 PM
excited for ios25
will be cool to see advancements!

NO LOOKING BACK!:apple:

sracer
Feb 20, 2014, 10:32 AM
I learned that lesson quite a few years ago. Although the notification flag of the update glommed on to the Settings icon gnaws at me like the tell-tale heart, I stick with whatever version of iOS ships with the device.

It didn't always used to be like that, but Apple's metrics for what devices can be updated seems to have become more liberal over time. Rather than keeping it more restrictive to maintain a certain level of performance and stability, they appear to allow any device that is physically capable of upgrading to upgrade.

I know that fanboys will respond with the strawman of "well if Apple prevented older devices from upgrading then people would complain that they are doing that simply because they want to sell more hardware".

That's not exactly true. Especially since people look to Apple to provide a quality experience. Consumers would understand Apple being more restrictive. Besides, many who defend Apple's current practices upgrade their hardware on a near annual basis anyways so it doesn't affect them.

If people WANT the upgraded iOS they have a choice, buy a new device. But if people want to revert back to the previous version of iOS, they are SOL.

sunking101
Feb 20, 2014, 01:13 PM
I learned that lesson quite a few years ago. Although the notification flag of the update glommed on to the Settings icon gnaws at me like the tell-tale heart, I stick with whatever version of iOS ships with the device.

It didn't always used to be like that, but Apple's metrics for what devices can be updated seems to have become more liberal over time. Rather than keeping it more restrictive to maintain a certain level of performance and stability, they appear to allow any device that is physically capable of upgrading to upgrade.

I know that fanboys will respond with the strawman of "well if Apple prevented older devices from upgrading then people would complain that they are doing that simply because they want to sell more hardware".

That's not exactly true. Especially since people look to Apple to provide a quality experience. Consumers would understand Apple being more restrictive. Besides, many who defend Apple's current practices upgrade their hardware on a near annual basis anyways so it doesn't affect them.

If people WANT the upgraded iOS they have a choice, buy a new device. But if people want to revert back to the previous version of iOS, they are SOL.

Totally agree.