PDA

View Full Version : The real reason for iOS 7's strange looks

Tysknaden
Jun 25, 2013, 03:39 AM
Explanation?
This version of iOS was designed especially for the taste of the Asian market. Nothing wrong with this. But it is a little hard for a European, to live with such colors and combinations of colors!
Could become a dealbreaker.

rak007
Jun 25, 2013, 03:41 AM
Do you see Hello Kitty everywhere on iOS ?

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 03:46 AM
Nothing "Asian" about it. TouchWiz was designed for Asians. It's so ugly and full of pictures (like in filters) and gimmicks.
iOS and stock Android come from American companies and you can easily tell they're way more aesthetic.
By the way, I'm not American or something... I'm from Israel.

atlatnesiti
Jun 25, 2013, 04:00 AM
Explanation?
This version of iOS was designed especially for the taste of the Asian market. Nothing wrong with this. But it is a little hard for a European, to live with such colors and combinations of colors!

There is nothing strange about iOS 7 looks...
The only strange thing is your post and reasoning behind it.

kodeman53
Jun 25, 2013, 04:01 AM
Explanation?

Congrats on the most bizarre explanation for iOS7 design features. When will you be getting an Android? Soon, I hope.

gr8tfly
Jun 25, 2013, 04:01 AM
Explanation?

Feels that way to me too (American). I actually strongly dislike the "Asian" color schemes - the "Hello Kitty" look, if you will. The bright green, and saturated blue and red text on bright backgrunds will drive me a bit nuts. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), there are a lot of new features and system tech (new APIs and Framework improvements) that'll probably persuade me to upgrade.

And, there's still hope Apple will dial it back a notch or two before its release. I've always jumped on previous iOS upgrades, but this is the first one that's given me pause.

OTOH, I like pretty much like everything I've seen in Mavericks - the UI and especially the new technologies (and improvements to existing ones).

Cayennr
Jun 25, 2013, 04:04 AM
Can anyone explain to me what makes a design “Asian,” “American” or “European?”

ijohn.8.80
Jun 25, 2013, 04:04 AM
Explanation?

I have no idea what you are inferring here...

http://www.liveshowentertainment.co.uk/images/Bollywood1.jpg

watchthisspace
Jun 25, 2013, 04:06 AM
I would say it's because of the direction the marketing is trending towards and this is Apple's take on it.

kodeman53
Jun 25, 2013, 04:07 AM

Bigotry.

iapplelove
Jun 25, 2013, 04:10 AM

Not that I agree with it but I know what the op is talking about. And if you don't think Asians Americans and Europeans all have different tastes you need to get out more.

Btw op Johny Ive is European

swingerofbirch
Jun 25, 2013, 04:10 AM
My out-there explanation is that Ives is for whatever reason ticked off at Cook (maybe he wanted his job?) and this is a real-life "The Emperor's New Clothes," in that Cook seems to be afraid to say anything stupid and therefore doesn't say anything at all. He might not trust his own taste and have assumed anything from Ives is genius.

Having said that, I don't hate the design. I can't really in that I haven't used it yet. On the other hand, it's not too easy on the eyes in photographs and even Apple's promo video.

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 04:11 AM

The Asian culture is different from the Western one. This is why Samsung Galaxy S4 has such an ugly skin and focuses on "family", "life", "companion". This is childish ********.

Tysknaden
Jun 25, 2013, 04:13 AM
Congrats on the most bizarre explanation for iOS7 design features. When will you be getting an Android? Soon, I hope.

I don not think, you are in the position to decide, who has to switch to which mobile OS?
By the way: I was thinking about Microsoft's solution. Keeping iOS6 on the iPad for my e-books and for continuing usage of a few important apps/ using Microsoft's mobil OS on the next phone.

swingerofbirch
Jun 25, 2013, 04:13 AM
Bigotry.

Oh, that's ridiculous. Do you think all of cultural studies are bigotry? Of course there are cultural differences around the world. Americans try to get tan. Asians try to lighten their skin.

Someone else has echoed the OP:

iOS 7 has global appeal
Early accounts of iOS 7 fixated on the bright colors, made more conspicuous by Apple’s use of semi-transparent screens. When you swipe up from the bottom to reveal a new control panel for commonly used controls, for example, the colors of the icons behind the screen appear in a blurry pastel haze. The purple-pink of the iTunes Store icon, the blue-cyan of the App Store icon and other overly bright icons become a blury screen filled with Easter-egg colors.
Here’s the thing: The appeal of one type of color treatment over another is culturally determined. Apple’s super bright iOS 7 colors tend to shock Europeans and Americans, who favor increasingly dark, bleak, post-apocolyptic color schemes. (Just look at Superman’s new suit!) But super-bright colors like the ones in iOS 7 are perennial favorites through Asia, including China and India, and also throughout much of Latin America.
In short, Apple’s color scheme may astonish and disappoint jaded Northern and Western urban geeks. But these colors will be an international crowd-pleaser.

From: http://www.cultofmac.com/232040/why-ios-7-is-a-masterpiece-of-design/#gyjcbdpWsBKoEKcJ.99

Tysknaden
Jun 25, 2013, 04:16 AM

It's a certain grown cultural taste for prefering certain colors and combinations of colors - and does have nothing to do with racial ideas.

kodeman53
Jun 25, 2013, 04:18 AM
I don not think, you are in the position to decide, who has to switch to which mobile OS?
By the way: I was thinking about Microsoft's solution. Keeping iOS6 on the iPad for my e-books and for continuing usage of a few important apps/ using Microsoft's mobil OS on the next phone.
You were the one who said, "Could become a dealbreaker". You won't have a choice about iOS7, so there's only one logical conclusion, you will go to another phone operating system.

Interesting how the argument has shifted from iOS7 was designed to get rid of skeumorphism and go to a more flat design to now it's cultural. Yeah, right.

Cayennr
Jun 25, 2013, 04:24 AM
It's a certain grown cultural taste for prefering certain colors and combinations of colors - and does have nothing to do with racial ideas.

Oh, now I see. I didn’t mean to accuse you about being racist or something, I was just genuinely asking.

Tysknaden
Jun 25, 2013, 04:26 AM
You were the one who said, "Could become a dealbreaker". You won't have a choice about iOS7, so there's only one logical conclusion, you will go to another phone os.

Have a nice day.

----------

Oh, now I see. I didn’t mean to accuse you about being racist or something, I was just genuinely asking.

Just wanted to make sure.
Wasn't meant hostile! Sorry!

bandrews
Jun 25, 2013, 04:30 AM
Explanation?

Seriously? Have you never been to Ikea?

tymaster50
Jun 25, 2013, 04:34 AM
If you don't like the icons stay on iOS 6 and stop bitching about it. Nobody will lose sleep over you. You are NOT special.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 25, 2013, 04:42 AM
Not that I agree with it but I know what the op is talking about. And if you don't think Asians Americans and Europeans all have different tastes you need to get out more.

Of course people from different cultures have different tastes. I'm in China right now, and I grew up in China as well. And I can pretty much say from what I've seen of China that ios 7 isn't the "ideal" or "perfect" os here. Asians generally love customization, and the Chinese friends that I grew up with generally love to customize their devices, and what they customize their devices to is up to their personal taste, whether cutesy or not. iOS isn't an os that is known for its customization, but rather for its simplicity and cohesiveness. So in concept, iOS isn't even aimed for Asians.

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 04:43 AM
THIS is ASIAN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LHv1FPd1Ec

iapplelove
Jun 25, 2013, 04:59 AM
Of course people from different cultures have different tastes. I'm in China right now, and I grew up in China as well. And I can pretty much say from what I've seen of China that ios 7 isn't the "ideal" or "perfect" os here. Asians generally love customization, and the Chinese friends that I grew up with generally love to customize their devices, and what they customize their devices to is up to their personal taste, whether cutesy or not. iOS isn't an os that is known for its customization, but rather for its simplicity and cohesiveness. So in concept, iOS isn't even aimed for Asians.

op wasn't really referring to the UI or any of the customization aspects of the os or lack of for that matter. op was going on looks and ascetics and colors.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 25, 2013, 07:53 AM
op wasn't really referring to the UI or any of the customization aspects of the os or lack of for that matter. op was going on looks and ascetics and colors.

And so was I. The OS's looks, aesthetics and colors are all a part of its UI. The customization aspect of the OS directly relates to its aesthetics as well - it determines if the aesthetics part of the OS can be personalized or is it streamlined. OP was suggesting that the main colors of the OS apparently caters to Asians, and I was retorting that a color palette won't do much in luring people over, because the fundamental concept behind iOS (simplicity and intuition) differs from what appeals to Asians generally. And this a very generous description, although less stereotyping than OP's suggestion - that Asians love bright colors.

And the Asians' love for customization comes from cultural differences. There are a lot more choices when shopping for anything in China, for example. It's true that compared to Asians, Westerners prefer simplicity, functionality and just generally utilitarian things, and that's why color appeal may seem like a cultural thing.

Edit: And OP clearly stated that this whole OS is designed for Asians, not just the color palette.

Smith288
Jun 25, 2013, 08:08 AM

Pretty sure the English don't refer to themselves as European. To some, it's an insult. ;)

----------

Bigotry.

Oh yay...over sensitivity! Shut down conversation because you mistake someone noticing cultural differences in style for racism!

Gregintosh
Jun 25, 2013, 08:09 AM
Bigotry.

False.

Every culture has its own common design themes and elements that have emerged over the years and are evident in the clothing, architecture, and arts produced by that culture.

For example, Countries with Islamic cultures include the green color which is significant for them, in China red is prevalent as its the color of luck, and other cultures have other design tastes.

As designers are influenced from an early age by their cultures, they bring a lot of what they see into the design work they produce. This is evident in website design, as many asian designers tend to put a lot of colors and patterns into their designs while Americans and some Western Europeans put in a lot of solid colors and make designs simple.

There is nothing bigoted about pointing out cultural differences in design taste. No one is saying a culture or a people are inferior to another, we just all have different tastes.

In any case, I don't think iOS 7 is necessarily built for the asian cultural tastes. I think it's trying to be "modern" in look. What iOS 7 really lacks though is contrast colors. If Apple inserts some contrast colors instead of using white/grey for example, do white/blue or white/purple or something, it will look more polished and finished.

ohbrilliance
Jun 25, 2013, 08:10 AM

It's probably not the safest bet to generalise market trends of several billion people based on the preferences of a handful of your Chinese friends.

ucfgrad93
Jun 25, 2013, 08:13 AM
There is nothing strange about iOS 7 looks...
The only strange thing is your post and reasoning behind it.

Agreed. While I don't really like the look of iOS 7, I don't think it was designed just for the Asian market.

Menel
Jun 25, 2013, 08:14 AM
Explanation?
Could become a dealbreaker.It was designed to the taste of the British.

But sure... I can see how you can confuse the British with the Asian... >.>

bushido
Jun 25, 2013, 08:20 AM
Explanation?

u almost just made me burst out laughing in the office and not because i find it redic but the explanation actually makes sense

iapplelove
Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
And so was I. The OS's looks, aesthetics and colors are all a part of its UI. The customization aspect of the OS directly relates to its aesthetics as well - it determines if the aesthetics part of the OS can be personalized or is it streamlined. OP was suggesting that the main colors of the OS apparently caters to Asians, and I was retorting that a color palette won't do much in luring people over, because the fundamental concept behind iOS (simplicity and intuition) differs from what appeals to Asians generally. And this a very generous description, although less stereotyping than OP's suggestion - that Asians love bright colors.

And the Asians' love for customization comes from cultural differences. There are a lot more choices when shopping for anything in China, for example. It's true that compared to Asians, Westerners prefer simplicity, functionality and just generally utilitarian things, and that's why color appeal may seem like a cultural thing.

Edit: And OP clearly stated that this whole OS is designed for Asians, not just the color palette.

I disagree I think we both know exactly what the op was referring to especially since he clearly stated it in the second sentance of the original post. Not to mention he refers to the word taste in the first sentence referring to colors and icons . Your just stretching to make a point lol

nikicampos
Jun 25, 2013, 08:34 AM
Explanation?

The real reason or the made up reason?

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
It's probably not the safest bet to generalise market trends of several billion people based on the preferences of a handful of your Chinese friends.

And it is okay for OP to generalize about Asians' color preferences without any evidence/experience?

And it's not based only on handful of Chinese friends, I lived in China for 10 years, and am there right now. I speak Chinese, I have Chinese friends, Chinese relatives, I buy Chinese products. So I'm pretty sure I have more evidence on which I based my conclusion.

kodeman53
Jun 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
False.

Oh yay...over sensitivity! Shut down conversation because you mistake someone noticing cultural differences in style for racism!

And it is okay for OP to generalize about Asians' color preferences without any evidence/experience?

From the comments from people who actually know the Asian culture, I was correct. The OP's first post was driven by bigotry or, to be charitable, zero understanding, or misunderstanding, of the Asian culture.

charlituna
Jun 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
I don't think the scheme was intentionally trying to be 'Asian' or such so much as totally different than what came before. They wanted to really slam home the notion that this is a major rewrite of things. Don't expect old moves to work cause they may not. And so on.

I do however hope that this might be a step toward the hinted openness and some kind of DLC/plug in type moves. With iOS 8 or even 7.1 we might have color themes we can download and add ourselves. Still via the App Store, still approved by Apple. But available. Same hopefully could happen with keyboards, language packs, Siri voices, fonts

Damolee
Jun 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
To me it looks like a Parisian homosexual's art scrapbook.

Nothing wrong with any of those things above, but that's what comes to mind.

The icons are disgusting, they need toning down a bit. The actual in-app interfaces look great though.

Armen
Jun 25, 2013, 11:21 AM
Do you see Hello Kitty everywhere on iOS ?

^^^^ this made me laugh out loud ^^^^

Mabus51
Jun 25, 2013, 01:27 PM
Actually it's designed to look more Web based. They removed the buttons and created "links" hence the blue text mimicking a weblink instead of being a button. I personally would rather have a buttons, it just looks better.

nishimura2
Jun 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
I'm Asian and I disagree.

infodriveway
Jun 25, 2013, 02:21 PM
Yes, it’s different. Whether or not you feel it’s ugly is personal. There are many other phone choices out there.

I’m wondering if some of the responses to iOS 7’s design is thinly-veiled racism.

allen-us
Jun 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
The first thing that I think of when I look at the iOS7 is Android. To me, it has lost its appeal.

Tysknaden
Jun 25, 2013, 03:57 PM
This new palette of colors is the way, iOS has to look for the new markets, the lower priced new iPhone is targeting.
I really do not see the difficulty in understanding this logic.

gr8tfly
Jun 25, 2013, 04:14 PM
Yes, it’s different. Whether or not you feel it’s ugly is personal. There are many other phone choices out there.

I’m wondering if some of the responses to iOS 7’s design is thinly-veiled racism.

Sorry, but if you think the OPs, mine, and other's responses are in any way racist, you need a different dictionary.

Absurd. We are talking cultural differences. I don't like anime, but like some manga. This is a matter of personal and general cultural tastes. I don't need to personally know someone from that culture to have seen (or even studied) a culture's media or artistic styles.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
The first thing that I think of when I look at the iOS7 is Android. To me, it has lost its appeal.Seems like there are lots of Windows Phone influences actually, as well as some WebOS even.

DarwinOSX
Jun 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
Explanation?

That is ridiculous.

ijohn.8.80
Jun 25, 2013, 05:18 PM
In any case, I don't think iOS 7 is necessarily built for the asian cultural tastes. I think it's trying to be "modern" in look.

I have to agree with this wholeheartedly, I can see where the inspiration for the colour range may have been drawn from Asia. I actually like the fresh and vibrant colours as compared to the cold, dark colour palette of iOS 6, which I originally thought was quite good when I saw it back on my iPhone 3G. It's like stepping from Winter to Spring. :)

DarwinOSX
Jun 25, 2013, 05:20 PM
Explanation?

The first thing that I think of when I look at the iOS7 is Android. To me, it has lost its appeal.

Doesn't look like Android to me at all but there sure are a lot of things I don't like about it. Fonts and so many other things are hard to see, too much white space, garish colors. I really don't know what they were thinking. There are quite a few more betas to go so we will see if things improve. If not I'm likely going to android. I prefer stock jelly bean over this.

freedevil
Jun 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
This is made for British peeps with yellow teeth.

mac00l
Jun 25, 2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I guess only asians are used to bright colors...

I don't think the OP was being racist. It's simply a naive thread...

http://www.timessquarenyc.org/image.aspx?id=1543&width=1370&height=847

Xeyad
Jun 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
I don't think Apple meant to design iOS 7 just for the Asian market. They surely didn't sit in meetings and said 'hey, let's make iOS 7 have neon colors so Asians buy more of our stuff' :p

However, because the colors have more "pop" now, and lots of new animations throughout the OS, I think iOS 7 will have more appeal in the Asian market. It's not racism, but different markets with different demographics have different tastes. With the new design, I think Apple is definitely going for the younger crowd, who were asking for years for a new design and some extra features like control center. The older demographic, and non-English speakers may have some hard time with iOS 7 because most visual elements were replaced with text, and a flat user interface that you can't relate to in real life.

The fact of the matter is that no one has a clue yet how the market will respond to iOS 7 until it gets installed on those hundreds and hundreds of millions of iOS devices around the world and see how the average user reacts to iOS 7 in terms of opinion, statistics, and ultimately sales of next gen products.

xcodeaddict
Jun 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
Explanation?

Says... who?

Hello Jony?

Tysknaden
Jun 30, 2013, 07:14 AM
After having seen the possible impossible rear-shells for the lowcost iPhone, I am even more sure of having been on the right track. This incarnation of the OS is designed to complement the phone's looks.

YahonMaizosz
Jun 30, 2013, 10:56 AM
How do you define an Operating System design to be Asian, European or American? :rolleyes:

bushido
Jun 30, 2013, 01:05 PM
How do you define an Operating System design to be Asian, European or American? :rolleyes:

maybe this is what he means? lol idk

http://i41.tinypic.com/2yjox6r.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/2eyggp3.png

xraytech
Jun 30, 2013, 06:28 PM
Explanation?

Huh?!?

I don't understand you reasoning, AND I'M ASIAN!!!

----------

After having seen the possible impossible rear-shells for the lowcost iPhone, I am even more sure of having been on the right track. This incarnation of the OS is designed to complement the phone's looks.

Huh?!?

So going by that line of thinking, Apple will also redsign the iPhone 5 to compliment iOS7?

maxosx
Jun 30, 2013, 07:08 PM

Well said. The collective lack of acceptance and appreciation of cultural differences is a sad commentary regarding the arrogance and narrow mindedness of some members of the Apple community. The word ignorance comes to mind.

joemeetsjane
Jun 30, 2013, 07:30 PM
it was actually since iOS 5 that the asianification happened.

lockscreen. camera shortcut.

see us go loco.

HCO
Jun 30, 2013, 07:32 PM
negative. this look is there look of the future, i and i enjoy it, and where they see it going from here.

Jett0516
Jun 30, 2013, 10:36 PM
it is not designed for asians
it is not designed for americans
it is not designed for europeans

it is designed for...hipsters

http://i.imgur.com/ZG4CyUn.jpg

falconeight
Jun 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
Saying iOS 7 was designed for Asians is like saying the big gulp was designed for Americans.......wait it was never mind.

TyPod
Jun 30, 2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20130628ios7colorscheme.jpg

Ste Nova
Jul 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
can someone photoshop ios7 onto a pink iphone?

xraytech
Jul 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20130628ios7colorscheme.jpg

That makes a lot more sense than what the OP states.

vannibombonato
Jul 1, 2013, 12:26 PM

Asian is a joyful mess, American is functional, European is stylish.

Tiger8
Jul 1, 2013, 12:36 PM
Explanation?

How about simply because this is the new trend in design? Even in fashion, summer/fall 2013 are all about bold colors that don't mix well usually. I resisted it first, but actually it's kinda growing on me.

Maybe the original inspiration is Asian culture, but this is a global design trend now.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 1, 2013, 01:37 PM
Tumblr site imagines popular apps after redesigns for iOS7 http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/01/tumblr-site-imagines-popular-apps-after-redesigns-for-ios7/ http://ios7redesigns.tumblr.com/

Smith288
Jul 1, 2013, 01:58 PM
Asian is a joyful mess, American is functional, European is stylish.

I dunno... Watching House Hunters International I'm fairly convinced Europeans have zero style when it comes to kitchens and bathrooms.

poobear
Jul 1, 2013, 02:10 PM
I know two chinese girls and they absolutely hate the looks of 7

falconeight
Jul 1, 2013, 02:34 PM
Hold on I have a call on my android.....it has a stylus.

Parise
Jul 1, 2013, 03:17 PM
Nothing "Asian" about it. TouchWiz was designed for Asians. It's so ugly and full of pictures (like in filters) and gimmicks.
iOS and stock Android come from American companies and you can easily tell they're way more aesthetic.

Ugh I cannot stand TouchWiz. Its gross and amateur looking.

munakib
Jul 1, 2013, 03:41 PM
The reason it looks "strange" is because Apple is trying to be ahead with the fashion trend of our generation. Loud Colors are the next big thing, look around you - all your fashionable friends are wearing red/lime green pants - funky colourful shirts. Apple's one strong differentiator had always been "style" and design (apart from the better hardware) and I am sure they are taking cues from other design industries.

I personally dont agree with this new loud color choices - as I associate Apple with a strong/mature brand style which I became a fan of because of Ive's previous work. If he thinks the market is looking forward to a more colorful future, then thats the bet he made. I will only consider picking up the next iPhone if there is a confirmed Jailbreak so that I can replace every part of this immature/youthful design and put it my own work.

gr8tfly
Jul 1, 2013, 03:59 PM

I personally dont agree with this new loud color choices - as I associate Apple with a strong/mature brand style which I became a fan of because of Ive's previous work. If he thinks the market is looking forward to a more colorful future, then thats the bet he made. I will only consider picking up the next iPhone if there is a confirmed Jailbreak so that I can replace every part of this immature/youthful design and put it my own work.

I agree. It's like "casual" Friday - permanently. One of my first comments to a friend, who happens to be an Apple employee, was: "Can you picture walking into the boardroom with this?". He had to agree it was a stretch.

I come from a professional background (engineer, ret.) and it would be a bit embarrassing to see some of the glaring neon up on the projection screen. Thankfully, a Keynote presentation wouldn't be tainted and the meeting could go on as if nothing happened (except for dealing with the tears leftover from the prior eyestrain).

I will say that people can get used to just about anything, and would probably end up accepting it as normal, but losing the aesthetics that very well complemented Ive's hardware designs, is, well, a loss.

Whereas I consider Apple's hardware designs works of art in their own right (I enjoy having them in my life even if powered off), iOS 7 stands by itself. Alone. No friends. Etc. etc…

HMI
Jul 1, 2013, 05:20 PM
Well said. The collective lack of acceptance and appreciation of cultural differences is a sad commentary regarding the arrogance and narrow mindedness of some members of the Apple community. The word ignorance comes to mind.

I also think it has been a negative side-effect of globalization and forced political-correctness, that being the incorrect correlation that "equality" means that all things are "the same". A world without any differences between countries, cultures, and genders is not a very interesting world.

Why would anyone be motivated to travel the world if literally everything were exactly the same as their own "home" country. It means as an "ignorant" American, I could appreciate the generalized "commitment to family" of Latin America", the "taking time to appreciate the small/finer things in life" from Europe, and the "wisdom to work hard and collaborate with others" from Asia. Well, I could if I could afford to travel somewhere.

The US has a lot of problems, and those are just a few examples of things I wish we would learn from others around the world.

I'm glad we're not the same. It would mean there would be nobody left to learn from. Thank you non-Americans for having a sense of pride for the best parts of your countries and cultures, and expressing those valuable qualities to other countries. It shows that we are not done learning.

I don't think "equality" should mean we all need to become the "same" in all things, but that we view and treat each other with the same human value, and find areas and opportunities within ourselves to learn, and change, and grow.

maxosx
Jul 1, 2013, 05:35 PM
I also think it has been a negative side-effect of globalization and forced political-correctness, that being the incorrect correlation that "equality" means that all things are "the same". A world without any differences between countries, cultures, and genders is not a very interesting world.

Why would anyone be motivated to travel the world if literally everything were exactly the same as their own "home" country. It means as an "ignorant" American, I could appreciate the generalized "commitment to family" of Latin America", the "taking time to appreciate the small/finer things in life" from Europe, and the "wisdom to work hard and collaborate with others" from Asia. Well, I could if I could afford to travel somewhere.

The US has a lot of problems, and those are just a few examples of things I wish we would learn from others around the world.

I'm glad we're not the same. It would mean there would be nobody left to learn from. Thank you non-Americans for having a sense of pride for the best parts of your countries and cultures, and expressing those valuable qualities to other countries. It shows that we are not done learning.

I don't think "equality" should mean we all need to become the "same" in all things, but that we view and treat each other with the same human value, and find areas and opportunities within ourselves to learn, and change, and grow.
Kudos for an exemplary post.

You've summed it up quite nicely.

I concur :)

Xgm541
Jul 1, 2013, 05:42 PM

Wait what? TouchWiz full of pictures? What does that even mean?

American is the new aesthetic? Since when were aesthetics limited to a certain culture? What one culture finds aesthetic another may find ugly.