PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Macbook from the US with a UK credit card

mstruve
Jun 25, 2013, 04:01 AM
Hi
I am based in the UK and thinking of buying a MBA from the US online store, to be delivered to my cousin's US address.
Does this require a US credit card to make the payment, or can I pay using my UK credit card?
Btw, I am aware of the customs issues etc but not really concerned about that at this stage.
Thanks very much.

robE89
Jun 25, 2013, 04:41 AM
Well some people managed to pay directly but by filling the billing address with the actual US shipping adress...i think it will come down to luck.

pumazooma
Jun 25, 2013, 04:43 AM
Send your cousin the money and get him to order it.

lovebob
Sep 26, 2013, 04:09 PM
use a parcel forwarding company to reship it to you, like usgobuy.com no sales tax. you can choose Fedex, dhl or USPS. Personally, I think USPS is easier to pass the customs because Fedex and DHL are commercial express .

Mrbobb
Sep 26, 2013, 07:05 PM
I believe one time I did the reverse and gifted somebody in the UK via amazon.com.uk. Everything seemed have gone normal.

old-wiz
Sep 26, 2013, 08:37 PM
use a parcel forwarding company to reship it to you, like usgobuy.com no sales tax. you can choose Fedex, dhl or USPS. Personally, I think USPS is easier to pass the customs because Fedex and DHL are commercial express .

I wouldn't even consider usgobuy.com... scamadviser rates it very low and based in China. Their website doesn't look very trustworthy.

The poster recommending the site is a newbie with only two posts, both to recommend a dubious site.

calvol
Sep 26, 2013, 11:15 PM
Are you sure, isn't the U.S. keyboard different than the British one?

KeepCalmPeople
Sep 30, 2013, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't even consider usgobuy.com... scamadviser rates it very low and based in China. Their website doesn't look very trustworthy.

The poster recommending the site is a newbie with only two posts, both to recommend a dubious site.

Guys, read the OP's post carefully. He's buying in the US and having it shipped to a US address. The only question is whether he can use a UK credit card...

OP: Sorry I can't help you there...

Chicane-UK
Sep 30, 2013, 02:07 PM
Are you sure, isn't the U.S. keyboard different than the British one?

Yes.

rafithegreat
Sep 30, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hey there,

I did a similar thing, buying in the UK store but living abroad. The British site required a shipping address within the UK (obviously), but it also required a valid UK address for the credit card. My guess is that the same goes for the US site.
The solution I went to was transferring the money over to a family member in the UK to make the purchase on my behalf. Went like a charm. You can also contact Apple and ask them to alter the keyboard and/or power adapter to match your needs after the payment has been made (but you need to be quick, because if it's already been assembled and shipped then you're buggered).