PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 reveals iMessage's are hogging my storage.

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 05:03 AM
Not sure if this has a resolve, but it's taking 5GB of my storage and I cannot delete/edit. I delete my message threads regularly.

Not sure if I'm having a naive moment, but I'm unable to free up the memory. I guess a factory wipe would resolve this, but it's not practical at the moment, albeit I'm willing to do for the storage.

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 05:07 AM
Mine takes only 192MB.

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 05:14 AM
Hmm, it's most likely because I didn't do a fresh install out of curiosity to see how the update functioned as a delta over a back up restore.. Concerning if it's unfixable as I will eventually run out of storage due to messages (must also back up attached images/vids) that I don't want nor need. I also can't iCloud backup as its too large by default.

kirky29
Jun 25, 2013, 05:36 AM
You know what, I noticed this too last week, my messages take up 1.9GB

Now I do send a lot of photos/video... I'd delete some conversations but well, I don't want too..

For some reason I was under the impression that iMessages sync to iCloud and only save a certain amount actually to the device and download the older messages as and when you scroll up to them... Slightly nerving thinking my messages are taking up so much valuable space!

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 05:36 AM
Hmm, it's most likely because I didn't do a fresh install out of curiosity to see how the update functioned as a delta over a back up restore.. Concerning if it's unfixable as I will eventually run out of storage due to messages (must also back up attached images/vids) that I don't want nor need. I also can't iCloud backup as its too large by default.

I updated OTA and didn't have any issues. That's just a myth.

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
You know what, I noticed this too last week, my messages take up 1.9GB

Now I do send a lot of photos/video... I'd delete some conversations but well, I don't want too..

For some reason I was under the impression that iMessages sync to iCloud and only save a certain amount actually to the device and download the older messages as and when you scroll up to them... Slightly nerving thinking my messages are taking up so much valuable space!

Deleting conversations changes nothing, I delete mine regular. Only have 4 active conversations and as a thread goes, they're no more than a few days long.

DustinT
Jun 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
Where did you find this display of the size consumed by iMessage? I'd like to check my phone too.

bbfc
Jun 25, 2013, 07:43 AM
Where did you find this display of the size consumed by iMessage? I'd like to check my phone too.

Settings > General > Usage. Wait for the top list to populate and tap Messages.

I had to tap of 'show all apps' for messages to show. Mine is 109mb.

matt2053
Jun 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
In my opinion this is the single biggest flaw in iOS and I'm surprised they still haven't addressed it.

As far as I can tell, every single photo and video sent or received via Messages is stored on your device forever, and there is no way to delete it!

My wife has to set up her phone as a new iPhone every few months because of this.

AbSoluTc
Jun 25, 2013, 08:13 AM
In my opinion this is the single biggest flaw in iOS and I'm surprised they still haven't addressed it.

As far as I can tell, every single photo and video sent or received via Messages is stored on your device forever, and there is no way to delete it!

My wife has to set up her phone as a new iPhone every few months because of this.

False.

You can delete anything sent/received in Messages.

My Messages take up 1 gig of space. I wish there was a nice way of backing up my messages honestly.

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
False.

My Messages take up 1 gig of space. I wish there was a nice way of backing up my messages honestly.

How do you delete them? I'm eager to free up my 5.7GB for something is can make use of. Deleting them through the message app does not free up the space, they seem to be backed up in the 'other' content.

phr0ze
Jun 25, 2013, 08:20 AM
False.

I have an app on my mac which backs up messages VERY well. It sucks all the pics/videos out and puts them into any folder in like 1 click. It also saves all messages into a database that you can browse later.

I have no interest in the company. I'm just saying this is what I use.
http://www.backuptrans.com/iphone-sms-mms-extractor-for-mac.html

EDIT: They make a PC version too. And yes I found other software out there but most of them were a pain to get out pictures/videos (I had like 5 years of history). And some claimed they couldn't go back to older messages.

AbSoluTc
Jun 25, 2013, 08:23 AM
I have an app on my mac which backs up messages VERY well. It sucks all the pics/videos out and puts them into any folder in like 1 click. It also saves all messages into a database that you can browse later.

I have no interest in the company. I'm just saying this is what I use.
http://www.backuptrans.com/iphone-sms-mms-extractor-for-mac.html

I have something similar. Just never really used it honestly.

----------

How do you delete them? I'm eager to free up my 5.7GB for something is can make use of. Deleting them through the message app does not free up the space, they seem to be backed up in the 'other' content.

You delete them from within iMessage. It does delete them and reduces the storage. I did it on mine a few days ago.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 25, 2013, 08:27 AM
You delete them from within iMessage. It does delete them and reduces the storage. I did it on mine a few days ago.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention but the OP clearly identified (3 times) that he/she has deleted their messages, and yet they appear to be backed up on the device somehow. That is what Matt2053 was implying

phr0ze
Jun 25, 2013, 08:30 AM

In iOS6 there use to be a clear all button. I suggest you delete all message threads, reboot, then report back.

Don't even save the 4.

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
Attached are the screens shots showing all messages deleted, and evidence that the existing messages I had only took up 0.1GB, leaning towards the impression that my entire messaging history is saved and inaccessible for editing. I think! :D

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 08:39 AM

AbSoluTc
Jun 25, 2013, 08:47 AM

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention but the OP clearly identified (3 times) that he/she has deleted their messages, and yet they appear to be backed up on the device somehow. That is what Matt2053 was implying

Nope, not been paying attention at all. :rolleyes:

phr0ze
Jun 25, 2013, 08:49 AM
You are right. I guess you were bitten by the restore from backup.

The backup must have the messages locked up. Without doing a full restore you could go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all Content and settings.

If you keep a backup you can always go back if its too drastic.

AbSoluTc
Jun 25, 2013, 08:51 AM
Before and after Messages were deleted. I restored my phone from the cloud after installing iOS 7 Beta 1.

phr0ze
Jun 25, 2013, 08:58 AM
Before and after Messages were deleted. I restored my phone from the cloud after installing iOS 7 Beta 1.

Yep, it appears restoring from backup locks the messages into your phone. I wonder if a sync would help.

CTHarrryH
Jun 25, 2013, 09:06 AM
I thought this was an issue with IOS6. there are threads about pictures never being deleted even when imessage was. I don't think there was an easy way to see the size but I think this is left over and should get fixed.

chrf097
Jun 25, 2013, 09:20 AM
When I deleted all mine it went down drastically. I restored from a Backup via computer on iOS 7b1 then upgraded to iOS 7b2

http://f.cl.ly/items/0v0L3r322X090J2Z3l01/IMG_0001.JPG

http://f.cl.ly/items/2f0A421l2S3Y070K352R/IMG_0002.JPG

Jordan921
Jun 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
Deleting conversations changes nothing, I delete mine regular. Only have 4 active conversations and as a thread goes, they're no more than a few days long.

Actually deleting the conversations do work. Last night I was at 1.7gb and after I deleted a bunch I'm now down to 900mb.

Simplicated
Jun 25, 2013, 09:43 AM
It's the attachments that are taking up your storage.

Jordan921
Jun 25, 2013, 09:46 AM
Yep, it appears restoring from backup locks the messages into your phone. I wonder if a sync would help.

I restored from backup and was still able to delete and lower it from 1.7gb to 900mb. Don't know why the op can't.

Night Spring
Jun 25, 2013, 10:00 AM
You are right. I guess you were bitten by the restore from backup.

The backup must have the messages locked up. Without doing a full restore you could go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase all Content and settings.

Erase all contents and settings does the same thing as a full restore.

AbSoluTc
Jun 25, 2013, 10:12 AM
It's a bug for the OP. I have a friend that can't post to Instagram - it crashes. Yet, I can. Same phone w/iOS 7. Problems seems to vary.

DustinT
Jun 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
Settings > General > Usage. Wait for the top list to populate and tap Messages.

I had to tap of 'show all apps' for messages to show. Mine is 109mb.

Ahh thanks! I'm at 1.2 gigs...

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 25, 2013, 10:26 AM
Nope, not been paying attention at all. :rolleyes:

Deleting them through the message app does not free up the space

You delete them from within iMessage. It does delete them and reduces the storage

OOOhhhhh.... I see what you did there. "These aren't the droids you're looking for" very tricky! :rolleyes:

AbSoluTc
Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 AM
OOOhhhhh.... I see what you did there. "These aren't the droids you're looking for" very tricky! :rolleyes:

Lol, not sure what you're talking about honestly. All I was saying was I had no issue with space/messages. All seems to be working correctly. As it is for others as well.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
Lol, not sure what you're talking about honestly. All I was saying was I had no issue with space/messages. All seems to be working correctly. As it is for others as well.

My point is that after the OP mentioned THREE TIMES in this thread (including the quote you responded to) that he has deleted his messages and that it didn't reduce his storage, you told him "Oh just delete your messages... that'll reduce your storage!" So are you calling him a liar or.....

but that's ok, I didn't intend to make a big deal out of it. I was just pointing it out.

sou1 so1di3r
Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
this is weird, and confusing.

im confused.

I think we're all confused.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
Lol, not sure what you're talking about honestly. All I was saying was I had no issue with space/messages. All seems to be working correctly. As it is for others as well.Clearly it's not working for the OP and at least some others who have posted similar things in this thread as well. So, it's definitely great that it's working for you, and perhaps even many others, but the point is that there's an issue with the functionality, otherwise it would work just fine for everyone (OP and some others with the issue included).

mccoy015
Jun 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
Had the same problem. After deleting my messages, it still said they took up 1.8 GB of space so I restarted my phone. Problem solved.

mrtune
Jun 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
There was a bug prior to 6.0 or 6.1 (dont remember which version exactly), where attachments were not deleted even though you deleted the message/sms threads.

While the bug was fixed, only attachments in current message threads will be deleted. Any orphaned attachments are just stuck there in limbo hogging space. Orphaned meaning attachments in which the original threads have long been deleted, prior to the bug getting fixed. If you've never deleted anything, this probably won't affect you.

I only know of two ways to fix it.

1. Restore the phone as a new phone, not from a backup, and essentially start all over from scratch. All those orphaned attachments are stored in backup files.

2. Jailbreak, locate the attachments folder for SMS/Messages and delete everything in there. (This is what I had done while still on iOS6. I saved over 1GB in space).

I have reported it to Apple, and I feel that anyone who suffers from this should report it too. The more of us that report the same issue, the greater chance we have of Apple actually fixing it.

SamGabbay
Jun 25, 2013, 12:19 PM
Mine takes up 10.2GB

PhoneI
Jun 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Delete messages, restart phone. This should do it.

Stratus Fear
Jun 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
It's the attachments that are taking up your storage.

This. Apparently there was a bug between 6.0 an 6.1 that caused attachments to not get deleted when conversations were. It hit me too, I had 900MB left over down from 3GB after clearing all my convo history. If you want to clear all this out without losing any other data, back up your phone to iTunes and use something like iBackupBot or similar to delete everything in HomeDomain/Library/SMS and MediaDomain/Library/SMS in your backup and then erase and restore your phone with this edited backup (make sure you make a copy of the backup before you do this in case something fails with the backup editor).

DC1408
Jun 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
If it works for some, it must be an unfortunate bug on my device. Thanks for the help guys, I'm done troubleshooting and it's definitely a no fix situation without a back up through third party the edit SMS or start a fresh. Shame.. I'll sort it. Appreciate the troubleshoot help..

iker42
Jun 25, 2013, 04:44 PM
also have this issue, had 20 convos at 2.9gb deleted down to 4 and 2.5gb. I think maybe I'm keeping old messages from the previous jailbreak? I have some other residual issues that all correspond to past jailbreak tweaks.

verdi1987
Sep 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
There was a bug prior to 6.0 or 6.1 (dont remember which version exactly), where attachments were not deleted even though you deleted the message/sms threads.

While the bug was fixed, only attachments in current message threads will be deleted. Any orphaned attachments are just stuck there in limbo hogging space. Orphaned meaning attachments in which the original threads have long been deleted, prior to the bug getting fixed. If you've never deleted anything, this probably won't affect you.

I only know of two ways to fix it.

1. Restore the phone as a new phone, not from a backup, and essentially start all over from scratch. All those orphaned attachments are stored in backup files.

2. Jailbreak, locate the attachments folder for SMS/Messages and delete everything in there. (This is what I had done while still on iOS6. I saved over 1GB in space).

I have reported it to Apple, and I feel that anyone who suffers from this should report it too. The more of us that report the same issue, the greater chance we have of Apple actually fixing it.

I know this is a somewhat stale thread, but I can confirm the behavior described above. Any media in the Messages app deleted by the user AFTER the bug was fixed (including in iOS 7) are deleted from the iPhone/iPad. However, any media stored when the bug existed still remain. This is verifiable if you extract the backup.

This bug is one reason I restored my iPhone and iPad as "new" when I installed iOS 7 GM. It was a pain, but now my backups are small (under 50 MB after reinstalling all my apps).

There needs be a way to delete all media from Messages.

adnbek
Sep 14, 2013, 02:15 PM
I just checked both my iphone and ipad. Fortunately, with everything deleted, i'm at less than 4mb being taken up by messages on iPhone but on iPad it's about 300mb!

Tried turning off and on iMessage, restarting, nada. I was hoping there was an ON/OFF slider for Messages under the iCloud backup settings because if there was, the simplest way would be to turn off backups for Messages, make a backup, restore the backup and all data being saved by Messages would be wiped but everything else restored back to the way it was.

Boo.

----------

Mine takes up 10.2GB

Holy! :eek: Now I don't feel so bad about the 300mb I can't delete.

BenTrovato
Sep 18, 2013, 10:03 PM
I have been able to go from 5.8gb down to 1.7gb by deleting every single item in messages and restarting. However, kind of stupid that there is still 1.7gb tied up.

I guess this is what was hogging up all that "other" space we spent countless hours trying to understand, meanwhile our phones were simply storing all our pictures from past conversations. A bit bummed I didn't think of this myself :cool:

Anyhow, using ifunbox or iexplorer I wasn't able to browse to the location where iOS stores saved messages. If anyone knows where to find this in iOS 7 so I can delete it, it would be greatly appreciated! File locations aren't the same as in iOS 6.

XzoRcisT
Sep 19, 2013, 02:22 AM
I am experiencing the same issue, this is very annoying. :(

KoolAid-Drink
Sep 19, 2013, 02:29 AM
Try resetting all settings - not content, but just settings. That may do the trick?

BMcCoy
Sep 19, 2013, 02:47 AM
Is this all on 7.0 ? - ie. is it possible 7.0.1 has fixed this?

.. except that 7.0.1 seems only for the 5x/5c.

hmmm...

sim667
Sep 19, 2013, 03:59 AM
I never delete any messages and mines only 270mb.....

We send a lot of picture messages too.

Steven.
Sep 19, 2013, 04:49 AM
I currently have just THREE single messages, no attachments....and those three messages are taking up 550mb.

CEmajr
Sep 19, 2013, 06:19 AM
I've never deleted any messages since November 2008 on my iPhone 3G. Mine is at 3.9GB.

I'll just leave them, I have plenty of free space for storage.

TigerA
Sep 19, 2013, 06:44 AM
This. Apparently there was a bug between 6.0 an 6.1 that caused attachments to not get deleted when conversations were. It hit me too, I had 900MB left over down from 3GB after clearing all my convo history. If you want to clear all this out without losing any other data, back up your phone to iTunes and use something like iBackupBot or similar to delete everything in HomeDomain/Library/SMS and MediaDomain/Library/SMS in your backup and then erase and restore your phone with this edited backup (make sure you make a copy of the backup before you do this in case something fails with the backup editor).

You are absolutely genius - I followed your instruction and freed up 650MB of dead space on my iPad mini with iOS 7 !

Thank you so much for the info. Apple should pick up this issue and resolve it ASAP. I just can't see any excuse for not fixing this bug.

BenTrovato
Sep 19, 2013, 09:18 AM
Worked for me too! Although the restore did not go perfectly for me. iTunes restored my phone but I couldn't access the device. The only way in was for me to press set up as new device. When I selected that, I was allowed in and all my apps and most settings were the same. I lost all my sound and notification settings. I guess I'll have to deal with it in exchange for 2 extra gigs. Thanks!

matttye
Sep 19, 2013, 09:21 AM
Seems like a bug. Wouldn't be surprised if they release a quick 7.0.1 update to address this.

Either deleting messages doesn't actually delete them, or the OS still thinks your storage is in use.

ryaniswhoiam
Sep 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
I chatted with Apple Support and their response was to do a clean wipe of the phone and start over, not restore from backup because the file would still be carried from the backup. This is a issue when you can't just tell it to delete those messages, we should have the freedom to do that. I have 2.8gb being taken up and all my messages on my phone are already deleted.

mantan
Sep 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
I chatted with Apple Support and their response was to do a clean wipe of the phone and start over, not restore from backup because the file would still be carried from the backup. This is a issue when you can't just tell it to delete those messages, we should have the freedom to do that. I have 2.8gb being taken up and all my messages on my phone are already deleted.

A bug that eats up 10%-30% of your storage is pretty major issue. Disappointed to hear the fix is given to a few people that call wipe clean and restore...especially if it's a carry over from a previous version. (I always wondered what that huge 'other' file when it displayed my storage in iTunes.

How about fixing the *#()U@##@ bug??

Especially when Apple continues to continue to screw customers with storage costs. The way flash memory prices have dropped, 32 gig should be the minimum. But if you're going to charge insane rates for storage - at least don't exacerbate the problem with shoddy programming.

BD801
Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
I had the same problem. From what I can figure out, when you simply swipe to delete the message, it only deletes it from the main page. As soon as you start another message with that contact, the whole message reappears. That is what was saved and is hogging space. You have to actually delete the message by swiping to the right and selecting all and then deleting.

I went from 1.0 GB to 300 MB by deleting one convo.

C DM
Sep 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
A bug that eats up 10%-30% of your storage is pretty major issue. Disappointed to hear the fix is given to a few people that call wipe clean and restore...especially if it's a carry over from a previous version. (I always wondered what that huge 'other' file when it displayed my storage in iTunes.

How about fixing the *#()U@##@ bug??

Especially when Apple continues to continue to screw customers with storage costs. The way flash memory prices have dropped, 32 gig should be the minimum. But if you're going to charge insane rates for storage - at least don't exacerbate the problem with shoddy programming.The bug has been fixed some time ago. Those who were affected by it before still have those effects from before, just nothing new related to it. The way to "fix" those effects from before is to clear everything out.

black743
Sep 19, 2013, 01:39 PM

This isn't an acceptable method. It will just build back up again. The messages should delete when I deleted them. I have now deleted a message that I really wanted to keep. I ended up screenshotting the entire thing before I deleted. Guess what, my space still shows 1.6gb and no messages in imessage at all.

So what they're saying is I now have to do a complete restore and take loads of time reloading everything....all to have to do it again in a few months when it builds back up? How about they fix the problem???

flashflooder
Sep 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
Seems like a bug. Wouldn't be surprised if they release a quick 7.0.1 update to address this.

Either deleting messages doesn't actually delete them, or the OS still thinks your storage is in use.

The bug (if it is one) has obviously existed for a while, since my phone's been eating this memory since well before iOS7. iOS7 is simply revealing the messages are the culprit.

Therefore, I wouldn't expect anything quick about the fix. BUT I really do hope they fix it. It's completely absurd that messages is hogging 4GB of my data capacity. I don't need a 2nd copy of every picture and video I send/receive on my phone, thanks Apple.

black743
Sep 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
The bug has been fixed some time ago. Those who were affected by it before still have those effects from before, just nothing new related to it. The way to "fix" those effects from before is to clear everything out.

Mine never showed a large storage amount until I updated to ios7 yesterday.

C DM
Sep 19, 2013, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem. From what I can figure out, when you simply swipe to delete the message, it only deletes it from the main page. As soon as you start another message with that contact, the whole message reappears. That is what was saved and is hogging space. You have to actually delete the message by swiping to the right and selecting all and then deleting.

I went from 1.0 GB to 300 MB by deleting one convo.Swiping a conversation from the main Messages screen and deleting it does in fact delete all of it.

----------

Mine never showed a large storage amount until I updated to ios7 yesterday.Did the free space that you have significantly change suddenly, or was it only that the amount associated with Messages finally showed the correct number?

ug.mac
Sep 19, 2013, 01:43 PM
After you delete conversation from messages please reboot your phone then check the usage.:)

C DM
Sep 19, 2013, 01:44 PM
The bug (if it is one) has obviously existed for a while, since my phone's been eating this memory since well before iOS7. iOS7 is simply revealing the messages are the culprit.

Therefore, I wouldn't expect anything quick about the fix. BUT I really do hope they fix it. It's completely absurd that messages is hogging 4GB of my data capacity. I don't need a 2nd copy of every picture and video I send/receive on my phone, thanks Apple.That's basically it. iOS 7 only shows all the right space associated with it. The bug itself that was eating up extra space was there before and has been addressed--so no new space associated with the bug would be getting used, but the already used space is still there from before when the bug was present.

black743
Sep 19, 2013, 01:53 PM
That's basically it. iOS 7 only shows all the right space associated with it. The bug itself that was eating up extra space was there before and has been addressed--so no new space associated with the bug would be getting used, but the already used space is still there from before when the bug was present.

I'm not willing to do a restore and lose some very important voicemails, etc...for 1.6gb of storage.

So what you're saying is those 1.6gb I'm showing is something old and has been fixed. In other words, when I delete a new message, it's no longer stored with that 1.6gb?

I have 19gb free, so 1.6 isn't a huge deal as long as it isn't going to keep getting bigger and bigger.

----------

Swiping a conversation from the main Messages screen and deleting it does in fact delete all of it.

----------

Did the free space that you have significantly change suddenly, or was it only that the amount associated with Messages finally showed the correct number?

Free space seems to have stayed the same...19gb. So it's not as if I'm pressed for space.

fmalloy
I chatted with Apple Support and their response was to do a clean wipe of the phone and start over, not restore from backup because the file would still be carried from the backup.

So. Ridiculously. Annoying.

Apple tells you a million times about how you're supposed to backup your data so you don't lose anything. Then, any tiny little problem whatsoever and they tell you "don't restore from backup, set up as a new phone".

All we hear about are problems when you update and restore data from a backup.

Stupid.

C DM
I'm not willing to do a restore and lose some very important voicemails, etc...for 1.6gb of storage.

So what you're saying is those 1.6gb I'm showing is something old and has been fixed. In other words, when I delete a new message, it's no longer stored with that 1.6gb?

I have 19gb free, so 1.6 isn't a huge deal as long as it isn't going to keep getting bigger and bigger.Right, new messages shouldn't suffer from the issue of having some part of them still stored when they are deleted.

black743
Sep 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
Right, new messages shouldn't suffer from the issue of having some part of them still stored when they are deleted.

So I will just view my imessage as an app that requires 1.6gb...lol. I have a couple games that large anyway.

BD801
Sep 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
Swiping a conversation from the main Messages screen and deleting it does in fact delete all of it.

----------

Did the free space that you have significantly change suddenly, or was it only that the amount associated with Messages finally showed the correct number?

You are right however, on my 4s when I swiped to delete the messages, it showed that there were no messages. But when I received another message from a contact, the ENTIRE message reappeared (apparently from storage). Once i edited the message and selected all the individual messages, it was finally removed and then my storage amount dropped.

flashflooder
Sep 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
FWIW, I just deleted all the conversation threads from my iMessage app, left nothing but a blank page. Starting piont = 3.2GB usage.

I rebooted the phone, and found that I had regained 1.2GB. Not too bad, but why is my blank message app still taking up 1.9GB? I went into the iMessage app after the reboot and all the threads I had deleted are back.

I'm confused.

eclipse01
Sep 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
Wow, I just deleted a thread in my messages I know I have had for a long time, my size went from 1.8gb to 242mb.

black743
Sep 19, 2013, 02:57 PM
Wow, I just deleted a thread in my messages I know I have had for a long time, my size went from 1.8gb to 242mb.

Mine stays at 1.6gb no matter what I delete, and now I've deleted them all. I'm guessing the 1.6gb of messages were older ones that had already been deleted, so the current ones I wiped out had no effect.

eclipse01
Sep 19, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mine stays at 1.6gb no matter what I delete, and now I've deleted them all. I'm guessing the 1.6gb of messages were older ones that had already been deleted, so the current ones I wiped out had no effect.

It did take a good 5-10 min. to lower the size but it did eventually go down

TigerA
Sep 19, 2013, 03:08 PM
The issue is the dead folders / files left behind after deleting the iMessages. This bug has been fixed by Apple. However, the dead space created due to the previous bug can not be freed up since iOS does not have an option to clear all iMessage content, just like other apps.
I have successfully freed up a lot of dead space by
1. Following Stratus Fear's post (by using iBackupBot)
2. Backup-->Reset All Content --> Restore

This method clears all the content in Messages. But it is still far better than a total wipe and start as a new iphone/ipad :)

You can also merge step 1&2 by doing a reset all content before restore the edited backup files.

P.S. The "Other" space contains app data. Apart from deleting some data from apps, by doing step 2 it can also reduce some "Other" space.

Good luck

skottichan
Sep 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hm, had this issue around iOS7b3, Messages was chewing up about 3GB of space. I didn't really think much about it because I have 64GB. So, I went and double checked, now messages is using about 170MB, I'm not sure when it got fixed on my end. I have about 15 open message threads, many of them are image heavy, so something got fixed at some point.

BenTrovato
Sep 19, 2013, 03:14 PM
I had to follow the steps someone else posted and use iBackupBot to delete the old messages. It's incredible that since iOS6 I have had 5gb tied up in iMessage storage, never understanding how it could take up so much space.

Not too long ago I manually added up all the storage my apps took up and couldn't figure out the missing space.

Legion103
Sep 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
I'm having the same issue.

TigerA
Sep 20, 2013, 06:15 AM
I'm having the same issue.

Why not follow Stratus Fear's recommendation by using iBackupBot......

TroyBoy30
Sep 20, 2013, 06:22 AM
mine is only 253mb and i have over 30 conversations with most of them going back to last year when i bought the phone

sesamechicken
Sep 20, 2013, 12:01 PM

I registered just to say thanks for this. I was able to recover almost 2GB from my 8GB iPhone 4. I never would've suspected the Messages app if iOS 7 hadn't pointed it out. My phone came with iOS 5 and has been subsequently updated each time on release day, so I was definitely inside the window of the bug.

Surprisingly, the iPhone 4 is very capable of running iOS 7. There are a couple of jittery animations every so often, but nothing that makes the phone feel unresponsive or unreliable. I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Again, thanks - this was a huge help!

L1mera1n
Sep 20, 2013, 04:11 PM
Have the same issue. I have iPhone 5 16gb and 2gb is used by messages. Deleting several conversations released 0.1gb. Nice!

TigerA
Sep 20, 2013, 08:21 PM
I registered just to say thanks for this...

Me too - registered just to say thanks to Stratus Fear:)

thefourthpope
Sep 20, 2013, 08:24 PM
I had a similar problem today, and it was keeping me from "restoring" my new 5C from my old 4S backup. Mine showed 8.9GB of messages.

Messing around in my iPhone folders via Phoneview didn't help.

I finally went back into the iMessages app and deleted all the conversations. It took a sync via iTunes for the space to free up, but when I checked again, nothing. Sorry I don't have screenshots; I found this thread too late.

Carlanga
Sep 20, 2013, 09:02 PM
You kids and your pic sexting...

L1mera1n
Sep 21, 2013, 05:32 AM
worked like a charm! Thank you stratus fear. 2 new gb ready to be used!

danb77
Sep 21, 2013, 06:51 AM

Messages takes u 791K for me!

Stratus Fear
Sep 22, 2013, 05:29 PM
I registered just to say thanks for this. I was able to recover almost 2GB from my 8GB iPhone 4. I never would've suspected the Messages app if iOS 7 hadn't pointed it out. My phone came with iOS 5 and has been subsequently updated each time on release day, so I was definitely inside the window of the bug.

Surprisingly, the iPhone 4 is very capable of running iOS 7. There are a couple of jittery animations every so often, but nothing that makes the phone feel unresponsive or unreliable. I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Me too - registered just to say thanks to Stratus Fear:)

Glad to be of assistance :)

BruiserB
Sep 22, 2013, 06:09 PM
I seem to have some stuff stuck in this bug. I deleted all of my messages and restarted my phone. After the restart my message storage was still 84MB (down from something like 700). I had a time last year when I sent lots of video messages from iMessage to my boss in another country to show him how something was running in a plant....I think those all got deleted.

After rebooting, one message thread re-appeared...the one to the person I correspond with the most, so probably the one I may have had some messages with during whatever timeframe this bug happened. So I deleted it again and rebooted and now it's down to 39MB...strange. I wonder if maybe only one attachment is deleted per deletion/reboot?

freedevil
Sep 22, 2013, 08:46 PM
Delete messages and then sync. When you sync, it will empty the saved messages.

solodogg
Sep 22, 2013, 09:29 PM
why is it that iOS doesn't have a setting that's user adjustable for the amount of space messages should take up, where it starts deleting old images/videos/messages once that amount of space is reached. Seems like it would make sense, as i'd love to be able to cap my messages at 1gb.

TigerA
Sep 23, 2013, 12:34 AM
why is it that iOS doesn't have a setting that's user adjustable for the amount of space messages should take up, where it starts deleting old images/videos/messages once that amount of space is reached. Seems like it would make sense, as i'd love to be able to cap my messages at 1gb.

A better idea is to offer a clean up option in the Settings so that it can free up all the spaces including the dead ones in Messages.

fdot
Sep 23, 2013, 08:29 AM
Would an iphone file manager work to delete the files?

Jigga
Sep 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
To confirm, ibackupbot does not restore MMS messages.

Legion103
Sep 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
I don't want to get into my phone's files...I would end up messing something up

Phanatic
Sep 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
I removed multiple message conversations, some of which were very long, but did not affect the Messages usage. I don't want to delete all the saved messages, only certain conversations. Hope this gets addressed in the next update.

hafr
Sep 23, 2013, 12:46 PM
I don't want to get into my phone's files...I would end up messing something up

There have been reports saying backing up to iCloud, restoring phone as new in iTunes, then restoring to the iCloud backup fixes the problem as well. Could be worth a try.

Tanax
Sep 24, 2013, 02:10 AM
There have been reports saying backing up to iCloud, restoring phone as new in iTunes, then restoring to the iCloud backup fixes the problem as well. Could be worth a try.

Except this isn't possible if your Messages are more than 5GB unless you pay for Apple's iCloud to get more storage..

hafr
Sep 24, 2013, 02:15 AM
Except this isn't possible if your Messages are more than 5GB unless you pay for Apple's iCloud to get more storage..
If your messages get backed up to iCloud the same way they do to the computer, the restoring to an iCloud backup workaround wouldn't work.

My messages took up 3 GB of data (of which 1 GB turned out to be "dead space" from old attachments), but my iCloud backup is not even 1 GB. I don't have a Messages-toggle there either...

Tanax
Sep 24, 2013, 07:46 AM
If your messages get backed up to iCloud the same way they do to the computer, the restoring to an iCloud backup workaround wouldn't work.

My messages took up 3 GB of data (of which 1 GB turned out to be "dead space" from old attachments), but my iCloud backup is not even 1 GB. I don't have a Messages-toggle there either...

Weird. For me it says my Messages is taking up 3.1 GB on my phone. If I try to do an iCloud backup, it says the "next backup size" will be 3.2 GB. I don't have a Messages-toggle on the iCloud backup page either..

hafr
Sep 24, 2013, 07:55 AM
Weird. For me it says my Messages is taking up 3.1 GB on my phone. If I try to do an iCloud backup, it says the "next backup size" will be 3.2 GB. I don't have a Messages-toggle on the iCloud backup page either..

Could that just be a coincidence? How much does it say the top three things in your backup will use? For instance, Camera roll usually take up quite a bit for most people.

Tanax
Sep 24, 2013, 08:39 AM
Could that just be a coincidence? How much does it say the top three things in your backup will use? For instance, Camera roll usually take up quite a bit for most people.

I've disabled everything except for 1 app that will take up 86.2 KB so I doubt it's that.. :p

APhillyApple
Sep 24, 2013, 08:48 AM
You have to delete the conversations, save whatever photos or videos to your roll. Quit hanging on to the text messages.

Beeray
Sep 24, 2013, 09:49 AM

Did you use ifunbox?

sesamechicken
Sep 24, 2013, 12:10 PM
Did you use ifunbox?

I used iBackupBot because I was at work on a Windows 7 machine. The whole process was dead easy. Looking through those directories, I had attachments from early 2012!

Beeray
Sep 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
I used iBackupBot because I was at work on a Windows 7 machine. The whole process was dead easy. Looking through those directories, I had attachments from early 2012!

I tried with ifunbox and the directory wasn't there. I wonder if I couldn't find it because I have an iphone 5s.

Nolander07
Sep 24, 2013, 02:29 PM

This worked for me. These actual messages were not on my phone, but cached somehow, I suspect old ones from iOS 6. It only takes a few minutes and it will likely solve the messages problem. Minus the "saved" messages, my phone was all set up the way I had it before the restore, so I didn't have to reinstall or set anything up again.

Jigga
Sep 24, 2013, 02:33 PM
This worked for me. These actual messages were not on my phone, but cached somehow, I suspect old ones from iOS 6. It only takes a few minutes and it will likely solve the messages problem. Minus the "saved" messages, my phone was all set up the way I had it before the restore, so I didn't have to reinstall or set anything up again.
What did you do?
Backup via iCloud, restore the phone and then restore the iCloud backup?

hxcdave
Sep 24, 2013, 02:55 PM
I mainly signed up to say ibackupbot did not work for my iphone 5. I made the dulpicate, I deleted the 2 treads for messages and what not. And it wouldnt give me the restore option at all, so i refreshed saw it was still deleted so i restored my phone TWICE, using the dupilicate and the original and it still reads 1.1 for me, now 1.2 today and it seems like my total usage is also going down , but no show for that. I restored yesterday and got 10 gb , from which i had 8.6 ish aviable before the restore, so i freed up some 'other' like the old fix was where restore and all, but i went from 10 yesterday to 9.4 today now. And honestly, no clue as to why it dropped that far because i havent downloaded anything new onto it. There needs to be a fix soon for this, i have a 16 gb iphone 5, which only gives me 13 available space, and if its slowly going to go down, then there is going to be a problem

Beeray
Sep 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
I mainly signed up to say ibackupbot did not work for my iphone 5. I made the dulpicate, I deleted the 2 treads for messages and what not. And it wouldnt give me the restore option at all, so i refreshed saw it was still deleted so i restored my phone TWICE, using the dupilicate and the original and it still reads 1.1 for me, now 1.2 today and it seems like my total usage is also going down , but no show for that. I restored yesterday and got 10 gb , from which i had 8.6 ish aviable before the restore, so i freed up some 'other' like the old fix was where restore and all, but i went from 10 yesterday to 9.4 today now. And honestly, no clue as to why it dropped that far because i havent downloaded anything new onto it. There needs to be a fix soon for this, i have a 16 gb iphone 5, which only gives me 13 available space, and if its slowly going to go down, then there is going to be a problem

I actually called Apple and they are aware of it. Go figure!

hafr
Sep 25, 2013, 02:29 AM
If it didn't work for you, you did something wrong. But messing around with files isn't for everyone (which is why Apple doesn't allow users to access the file system), try the iCloud backup workaround instead.

----------

I actually called Apple and they are aware of it. Go figure!

Of course they're aware of it, they fixed the bug a long time ago.

hafr
Sep 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
There is a solution...kind of. You can SSH into the phone and delete these directories and it will force Spotlight to recreate them:

Folders:
com.apple.MobileSMS
com.apple.SpotlightTopHits

If you're phone isn't Jailbroken, hopefully Apple includes a way to do this from the interface soon.

There is no way they will include a way to fix this, since they've already fixed the bug and restoring to an iCloud backup solves the problem. If they would have been interested in such a fix, it would have come a long time ago.

The only ones affected are those who, between iOS 6.0 and 6.1, deleted messages threads with attachments and haven't set up the phone as new or restored to an iCloud backup since.

Plus, those unaware of what's going on will most likely just buy a phone with more storage when they upgrade...

Nolander07
Sep 25, 2013, 06:55 AM
What did you do?
Backup via iCloud, restore the phone and then restore the iCloud backup?

Exactly that.
Restored through iTunes, then when setting up I used my latest iCloud backup to restore. After that, my saved messages were less than 5 mb. All settings, etc. we're exactly the same as before the restore, of course.

hxcdave
Sep 25, 2013, 06:20 PM
Exactly that.
Restored through iTunes, then when setting up I used my latest iCloud backup to restore. After that, my saved messages were less than 5 mb. All settings, etc. we're exactly the same as before the restore, of course.

Im prob going to try this

----------

If it didn't work for you, you did something wrong. But messing around with files isn't for everyone (which is why Apple doesn't allow users to access the file system), try the iCloud backup workaround instead.

----------

[/COLOR]

Of course they're aware of it, they fixed the bug a long time ago.

Im good with going into files and what not, but I would plug my phone in and then I would get an error saying connecting device failed and stuff like that. I mean, I will prob end up doing the iCloud but i have honestly never restored from a iCloud back up so I have no clue will will be loaded and all. Also, off topic alittle, is anyone elses iPhone 5 on iOS7 battery dying fast?

charlituna
Sep 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
Not sure if this has a resolve, but it's taking 5GB of my storage and I cannot delete/edit. I delete my message threads regularly.

Not sure if I'm having a naive moment, but I'm unable to free up the memory. I guess a factory wipe would resolve this, but it's not practical at the moment, albeit I'm willing to do for the storage.

Have you tried a hard reboot. Force quit the app first.

Even just powering down can help clear out garbage

Bazooka-joe
Sep 26, 2013, 07:17 AM
Since the days of the 3Gs, I have always used restore when buying a new iPhone. I had a 2gb of text messages and even using ifunbox didnt clear the entire message usage down.
In the end I did a factory reset on my 5s and reinstalled everything manually. I didnt have much data that I needed to keep and to my astonishment, I now have an extra 8 to 9gb of free so its not just messages that is hogging space. I am sure that over time, there are other things that take up space and never release it.

BJMRamage
Oct 2, 2013, 12:07 PM
I use this a few times a year:
http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

it helps to delete cached files, temporary files from a interrupted download/update.

sk1wbw
Oct 2, 2013, 12:13 PM
OMG my iPhone is useless now. Completely useless to me. iMessages is hogging a whopping 40.9 mb of space.

guinevere75
Oct 2, 2013, 01:03 PM
I had 1.4G of space being hogged by saved messages on my kid's device... that's a friggin' movie! With ibackupbot, I was able to get these deleted and add another movie title in it's place. I got a few error messages that I had no idea what they meant, but deleting the folders in these two specified locations worked, and when I restored from the backup, I had erased the messages - for those of you wondering, all of my son's apps were still there and in the same state of play - all settings were accurate, all levels the same. Thank you! :)

terrywfoster
Oct 2, 2013, 03:00 PM
Why not follow Stratus Fear's recommendation by using iBackupBot......

That method crashes and burns on every attempt for me. The restore never works. I always have to go back to iTunes to restore from the one on my MAC.

hafr
Oct 2, 2013, 03:14 PM
That method crashes and burns on every attempt for me. The restore never works. I always have to go back to iTunes to restore from the one on my MAC.

The way I did it: I made two backups at the same time in iTunes, went to iBackupBot and chose one of them (it was like a minute or two between them), edited it, hit cmd+s out of habit, quit the app, restored via iTunes.

Never even entered my mind to restore via iBackupBot :)

emseven
Oct 2, 2013, 03:24 PM
Why are you upset with Apple. You participated in Messaging and over the course of time your Messages.app grew in size and scope.*

While Apple should have increased iCloud storage they aren't obligated to do so.

Try parsing your messages and deleting photos and videos. If that isn't enough you can delete entire conversations by lowest importance.

If you don't wish to do either then pay up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

*Images and videos.

hafr
Oct 2, 2013, 04:14 PM
Why are you upset with Apple. You participated in Messaging and over the course of time your Messages.app grew in size and scope.*

While Apple should have increased iCloud storage they aren't obligated to do so.

Try parsing your messages and deleting photos and videos. If that isn't enough you can delete entire conversations by lowest importance.

If you don't wish to do either then pay up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

*Images and videos.

You don't understand. The problem comes from a bug in iOS 6 that was fixed in iOS 6.1, where deleting a discussion in Messages didn't delete the attachments from the phone.

terrywfoster
Oct 2, 2013, 09:59 PM

*Images and videos.

iCloud has nothing to do with messages hogging the physical memory on the phone after being deleted.

FLYING SE7EN
Oct 3, 2013, 12:45 PM
I'm having trouble using iBackupbot to delete the old messages. I've got 867MB of them. I'm not finding a way to navigate to the location indicated in the instructions posted in this thread. Can someone walk me through the process either here or via PM? I'm using iBackupbot version 3.6.5 on Windows 7.

Thanks.

ricpin100
Oct 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
I also has same issue. iPhone 5 on iOS 7.02
the iMessage took up a shocking 15.4GB! i deleted most of my messages, only a few left, and even with pics, i dont think they will exceeed 100MB.

cynics
Oct 11, 2013, 12:55 PM

*Images and videos.

I'm upset with Apple because of poor programming causing a bug in their software making it impossible to regain the space those messages used even after they are deleted. This effects iCloud and the physical space on the iOS device. Restoring from new or blundering around in the file system is the only way to fix this.

That in itself is annoying. Apple and everyone goes on and on about how great the back up system is but the slightest thing goes wrong and everyone tells you to restore from new.

If I only had true access to my iCloud I pay for even basic access I could fix this in 2 minutes.

emseven
Oct 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm upset with Apple because of poor programming causing a bug in their software making it impossible to regain the space those messages used even after they are deleted. This effects iCloud and the physical space on the iOS device. Restoring from new or blundering around in the file system is the only way to fix this.

That in itself is annoying. Apple and everyone goes on and on about how great the back up system is but the slightest thing goes wrong and everyone tells you to restore from new.

If I only had true access to my iCloud I pay for even basic access I could fix this in 2 minutes.

Understood. What happens if you manually delete a video MMS then the conversation?

BenTrovato
Oct 11, 2013, 02:03 PM

I feel the same way but sometimes we have to think that this is still technology and a lot of things that have technology in them have bugs and/or don't operate the way we want them to. Nearly every computing device we use tends to perform better when we start with a fresh filesystem.

Imac Sam
Oct 12, 2013, 06:28 AM
I also had this issue, and I did the following to fix it. I have done it on all idevices in the family now.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18125847&postcount=9

Indecisi0n
Oct 12, 2013, 06:46 AM
I send thousands of imessages each month (both pic/text) and also have multi group messages which I keep active for easy chat. I just checks and I have 235MB.

GlenK
Oct 12, 2013, 08:19 AM
Just deleting conversations reduced mine from 800mb to 9.1mb so whatever it was they corrected it.

5S with iOS7.

cynics
Oct 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
Understood. What happens if you manually delete a video MMS then the conversation?

Don't know. Currently it deletes exactly how you'd expect it too. But back with the bug any messages including there pics and videos would appear to be deleted but not actually free the space used.

Now come iOS 7 and we can see message usage and even with every single message in the app deleted I still have 1.7gb used for it. It shows up in iTunes as "other". This is from that bug back in iOS 6.

Since I don't have access to those messages I can't redelete them to gain the space back.

techiegirl
Oct 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
I also had this issue, and I did the following to fix it. I have done it on all idevices in the family now.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18125847&postcount=9

Thanks for posting these instructions. I followed the instructions and it reduced my messages app from 265 Meg's to 2.5 Meg's.

FLYING SE7EN
Oct 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
Do I need a newer version of iBackupbot? Because my version only gives me options to Check or uncheck the items, no option to delete the attachments, and the delete key wont work either.... I'm sure its something simple that I'm missing.

Once again, I'm using iBackupBot version 3.6.5 on Windows 7

UPDATE: Downloaded newest version of iBackupBot. Freed up 850MB of space on my phone and 3.9 GB on my wifes. Thanks.

VIIGraphix
Oct 22, 2013, 09:50 PM
theres got to be a way get around this and not have to use ibackupbot... I have a 64gb iphone 4s and to constantly free up space every few weeks is going to be annoying... I send a ton of photos from my phone that I msg to clients and friends/family. Right now since upgrading to iOS7, I have 5.6gb of Messages!! still 19gb free... but I can see this space filling up quick.

Im surprised Apple hasnt fixed this issue even with 2 updates of iOS7

MikeTHIS
Oct 23, 2013, 07:40 AM
I noticed this on my iPhone 5 yesterday. I deleted all my messages and rebooted - most of them came back, albeit corrupted. If I click on an older message the app hangs and then loads. There will only be one message in the thread and it's the most recent.

I just updated to 7.0.3 and it still does the same thing. It's eating up over 4gig of space too.

cynics
Oct 23, 2013, 07:51 AM
theres got to be a way get around this and not have to use ibackupbot... I have a 64gb iphone 4s and to constantly free up space every few weeks is going to be annoying... I send a ton of photos from my phone that I msg to clients and friends/family. Right now since upgrading to iOS7, I have 5.6gb of Messages!! still 19gb free... but I can see this space filling up quick.

Im surprised Apple hasnt fixed this issue even with 2 updates of iOS7

This was just a bug in iOS 6. If you delete messages from the message app now they will be removed properly.

The reason this is a "thing" is because in iOS 7 we can now see the effects of that bug. Plus it only effects people that deleted messages during the time of that bug. If you didn't then it's a non issue.

mantan
Oct 23, 2013, 09:34 AM

Absolutely.....I'm amazed that people are giving Apple a free pass on this. Until iOS 7 broke down the usage, a lot of people had no idea how much this big was eating up there storage. (And I'd be the majority of people who are impacted still don't know.)

If Android had a bug that resulted in 10%-30% of the space being unusuable without utilzing a 3rd party utility, restore and a set of instructions to fix it, they would be CRUCIFIED on here for it.

I wonder what the 'Genius Bar' techs at the Apple Store would recommend if someone brought it in.

Since Apple feels compelled to price gouge for memory and not offer the option to add additional storage, then I have less compassion for when they are bloated and sloppy with their programmming....and get a little ticked when they don't offer a solution for it.

bidwalj
Oct 23, 2013, 09:55 PM
For those that backup into iCloud, will deleting the old backups then restore from a new backup do the trick? I can't figure out how to make the space otherwise.

TyPod
Oct 23, 2013, 10:13 PM
Interesting, mine only takes up around 50mb. I also delete my iMessages frequently.

itsky
Jan 23, 2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Stratus Fear for the info, just saved me 2gb.

C DM
Jan 23, 2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks Stratus Fear for the info, just saved me 2gb."Stratus Fear"?

cynics
Jan 23, 2014, 04:57 PM
"Stratus Fear"?

User name

Mazda 3s
Jan 23, 2014, 05:09 PM
Jailbreak + iCleaner:

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/1940/b39u.png

C DM
Jan 23, 2014, 05:15 PM
User nameDoh! I thought so, and even searched the thread for it...but clearly not well enough.

gaanee
Jan 23, 2014, 06:58 PM
I just checked that deleting the messages doesn't clear the space. So even after deleting messages, it still keeps a copy and takes up space? and there is not way to clean it other than paying for a third party solution?

C DM
Jan 23, 2014, 07:13 PM
I just checked that deleting the messages doesn't clear the space. So even after deleting messages, it still keeps a copy and takes up space? and there is not way to clean it other than paying for a third party solution?You should be able to use PhoneClean or iBackupBot for free (at least a trial perhaps) to do this at least once for free.

gaanee
Jan 23, 2014, 07:32 PM
Well.. you still have to use third party software. It would be a lot easier to clean it on iPhone itself or through iTunes.

OneBagTravel
Jan 26, 2014, 10:29 AM
This thread saved me 3GB. :cool:

Thanks everyone (especially Status Fear)!

charlituna
Jan 26, 2014, 12:23 PM
1. Restore the phone as a new phone, not from a backup,

An iTunes backup perhaps but I have never not restored from iCloud and regardless of this issue, battery etc, I was fine.

cynics
Jan 27, 2014, 10:29 PM
Well.. you still have to use third party software. It would be a lot easier to clean it on iPhone itself or through iTunes.

Yep.

First off there should be an option to turn off saving messages to a back up.

If Apple allowed finer tuning of a backup then you could weed out bugs that transfer with them.

Point in case this bug. It's annoying how "great" Apples backup method is until you have a problem. Then the first thing everyone says is "restore from new!".

gaanee
Jan 27, 2014, 10:59 PM
Yep.

First off there should be an option to turn off saving messages to a back up.

If Apple allowed finer tuning of a backup then you could weed out bugs that transfer with them.

Point in case this bug. It's annoying how "great" Apples backup method is until you have a problem. Then the first thing everyone says is "restore from new!".

Now I'm watching how the space is taken up with each message. Restoring doesn't sound like the best option given that we have to redo all the settings again (reduced motion, auto update, contrast..) which are spread all over and takes a good amount of time.
Is there a way to save the current settings, restore as new and then have all those settings?

numlock
Feb 2, 2014, 12:47 PM
does anyone know if this is being fixed in the beta?

i have a sms.db from ios3 and ios4 that takes up 1mb but restored into ios7 it takes up 5mb and then 6 messages later and its 9mb. i delete those 6 messages and its down to 5,5mb.

who exactly is working and debugging at apple these days? this is amateurish. 4 months since ios7 was released and still not fixed.

its bad enough they charge you an arm and a leg for the step up in capacity, or highjack your space when you have ios6 now something as minuscule as a text message thats less than a kb is few hundred times bigger.

cynics
Feb 3, 2014, 07:51 AM
does anyone know if this is being fixed in the beta?

i have a sms.db from ios3 and ios4 that takes up 1mb but restored into ios7 it takes up 5mb and then 6 messages later and its 9mb. i delete those 6 messages and its down to 5,5mb.

who exactly is working and debugging at apple these days? this is amateurish. 4 months since ios7 was released and still not fixed.

its bad enough they charge you an arm and a leg for the step up in capacity, or highjack your space when you have ios6 now something as minuscule as a text message thats less than a kb is few hundred times bigger.

Well the bug was fixed in iOS 6 but the aftereffects still linger. I think what you are experiencing is normal, things that aren't messages that save. Like when you type someone's name in how group messages they've been in in the past pop up and other stuff like that.

If Apple added a way to not back up iMessages to iTunes/iCloud then this would be relatively painless to fix. (Restore from back up). But they don't so the bug follows the back up around.

numlock
Feb 3, 2014, 08:41 AM
Well the bug was fixed in iOS 6 but the aftereffects still linger. I think what you are experiencing is normal, things that aren't messages that save. Like when you type someone's name in how group messages they've been in in the past pop up and other stuff like that.

If Apple added a way to not back up iMessages to iTunes/iCloud then this would be relatively painless to fix. (Restore from back up). But they don't so the bug follows the back up around.

in my case its just plain vanilla and unspectacular text messages ie no pics, only two group texts etc so for it to be 1mb in in ios3/4 up to 5-6mb now is nonsensical to me.

and continuing those threads in an equally unspectacular fashion increases the messages size a few hundred kb per message.

btw i had roughly 8000 messages in that original 1mb sms.db so something huge has happened at cupertino.

i just tried deleting two threads and it went from 5.5mb to 7mb. i deleted all and its 6.3mb.

but i agree with you on selective backup and would add selective export and import as well but i cant see that happening.

Speedracerxyz
Feb 10, 2014, 11:22 AM
You can selectively remove images/media attachments from messages by simply tap-and-hold on an attachment, then selecting More.., select any/all attachments you want to delete, then tap the trash can in the lower-right corner to remove them.

This offers a more surgical alternative to deleting an entire thread history and does have a direct impact on local phone storage on my iOS 7.0.3 iPhone.

cynics
Feb 10, 2014, 05:35 PM
You can selectively remove images/media attachments from messages by simply tap-and-hold on an attachment, then selecting More.., select any/all attachments you want to delete, then tap the trash can in the lower-right corner to remove them.

This offers a more surgical alternative to deleting an entire thread history and does have a direct impact on local phone storage on my iOS 7.0.3 iPhone.

That's because you weren't effected by the bug in iOS 6.

If I have ZERO messages as in everything in messages deleted. I still have messages using 1.7 gb.

Obviously there is no further way of going into the messages and deleting attachments since there is no message to go into.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/4ypu5uge.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/qe6e9aqu.jpg

SrLANGuy
Mar 10, 2014, 12:49 AM

If I have ZERO messages as in everything in messages deleted. I still have messages using 1.7 gb.

Obviously there is no further way of going into the messages and deleting attachments since there is no message to go into.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/4ypu5uge.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/qe6e9aqu.jpg)

My sister-in-law has been dealing with the exact same problem since before iOS 7 was released, but I finally got the issue resolved today.

First, she was still on iOS 6. So I backed up her iPhone using iTunes on my computer. Then I completely erased the phone (Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings). When the phone booted back up, I told it NOT to restore from a backup and instead, set it up like a new phone. Once I had an operating iPhone without any data on it, I was able to upgrade to iOS 7 (Settings > General > Software Update). When that completed, I used iTunes to restore her backup, but the iPhone was still out of space.

She had deleted all conversations in the MESSAGES app (so it was completely empty), but "Settings > General > Usage" still showed that MESSAGES was taking up 11.2 GB of space. So I downloaded and installed "iBackupBot for iTunes". This program can open the backup made in iTunes so you can view what is there and if needed, modify the backup files. So I searched the backup and under "Other Multimedia files", I sorted by filename and found a bunch of large files in the following location:

MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments/

When I selected all of the files in that location, it showed I had 3075 files selected for a total of 11.2 GB. That was exactly how much space her iPhone was reporting as being used by the MESSAGES app. So I deleted all 3075 of them (as I said, she had already deleted all of the message conversations on the phone, so those 3075 shouldn't have been there). Once these files were removed from the backup, I again restored her phone using this backup (which was 11.2 GB smaller than before).

I'm happy to report that her iPhone is working perfectly again, she can backup to iCloud again, and she has over 11 GB free now!!!

numlock
Mar 10, 2014, 12:53 PM
My sister-in-law has been dealing with the exact same problem since before iOS 7 was released, but I finally got the issue resolved today.

First, she was still on iOS 6. So I backed up her iPhone using iTunes on my computer. Then I completely erased the phone (Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings). When the phone booted back up, I told it NOT to restore from a backup and instead, set it up like a new phone. Once I had an operating iPhone without any data on it, I was able to upgrade to iOS 7 (Settings > General > Software Update). When that completed, I used iTunes to restore her backup, but the iPhone was still out of space.

She had deleted all conversations in the MESSAGES app (so it was completely empty), but "Settings > General > Usage" still showed that MESSAGES was taking up 11.2 GB of space. So I downloaded and installed "iBackupBot for iTunes". This program can open the backup made in iTunes so you can view what is there and if needed, modify the backup files. So I searched the backup and under "Other Multimedia files", I sorted by filename and found a bunch of large files in the following location:

MediaDomain/Library/SMS/Attachments/

When I selected all of the files in that location, it showed I had 3075 files selected for a total of 11.2 GB. That was exactly how much space her iPhone was reporting as being used by the MESSAGES app. So I deleted all 3075 of them (as I said, she had already deleted all of the message conversations on the phone, so those 3075 shouldn't have been there). Once these files were removed from the backup, I again restored her phone using this backup (which was 11.2 GB smaller than before).

I'm happy to report that her iPhone is working perfectly again, she can backup to iCloud again, and she has over 11 GB free now!!!

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/034/1/b/it_just_works_by_neersighted-d4ol3lu.jpg

The Economist
Mar 10, 2014, 01:51 PM
Image (http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/034/1/b/it_just_works_by_neersighted-d4ol3lu.jpg)

Add a "Except when it doesn't" line right beneath that, smaller font size of course.

Chyna99
Mar 31, 2014, 11:46 PM

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/4ypu5uge.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/qe6e9aqu.jpg)

I have a 16G phone with 4.4G of the "Invisible" Messages Saved. Ever since I updated to IOS 7, I have had strange problems. Now I do not have enough space for the 7.1 update. I am going to try some of the solutions here. Thank you