Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I was curious if anyone here managed to acquire a Fuji X series camera and what are their thoughts on the camera, lens(es), ability and challenges with RAW files and more.

I admit I am curious mostly about the new Fuji x100s. It looks like a good large pocket camera with its equivalent 35mm taking lens. After that, the exchangeable lens line series seems also amazing.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The X100s is the best camera I have ever owned, the more I use it, the more I fall in love. It's a camera that makes me want to take pictures.

Its classical user interface appeals to me, as does the optical viewfinder. Yes, the Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A and Sony RX1 are nice cameras, but you don't use them like a classical camera. The X100s can be used like my father's rangefinder from 1963 -- if I want to. Or I can have the live histogram and a level directly in the (optical as well as electronic) viewfinder.

There are so many little niceties, just to give you one of them: I use the optical viewfinder of my X100s, but when I snap a picture the camera switches to the electronic viewfinder and shows me the photo I've just taken for 1/2 second (you can configure the duration or whether you want this feature at all). On my dslr, I need to take my eyes off the viewfinder, press play, check the exposure and do it again. With the X100s, I can take a picture, check the exposure, dial in an exposure compensation and take another photo.

Whatever good things you've read about the image quality in the reviews, they're right, this camera produces exceptional images.

(I'm the guy on the right wearing the Daringfireball T-shirt.)

Whether 35 mm equivalent focal length is right for you depends on, well, you. I already own a Sigma DP1 with a 28 mm equivalent lens, and I prefer 35 mm by a wide margin.

If you're concerned about the AF being slow, don't be. Yes, my dslr focusses faster with certain lenses (certainly not all of them), but focussing doesn't feel like you hold a compact camera in your hands. In terms of being able to find focus, the X100s' capabilities are comparable to my D7000: at a certain point, there just isn't enough contrast for a focus lock. But then it is pitch black dark.

Does the camera feel slow? Nope. Not as fast as my dslr, but I don't have to wait for it.

Do you have any other questions?

If I was God of my own camera universe, what would I want in my X100ss? I'd like to use TTL with my SB-700 and SB-600, and I'd like to iron out one or two things in the firmware (really, really minor things). Plus, I'd like to replace the main menu selector (the one with the wheel) by something that feels as good as the knobs on the top of the camera. And I'd like the battery to last longer (my D7000 lasts >1000 shots on a single charge, the record being ~1700 on a single battery, so I'm used to a lot more).

Disclaimer: I also own a D7000 with 5 lenses, two flashes and various goodies.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

Just like to say that although I am happy with my 6D and not really looking for a new camera it's really nice to read a real world write up with a few sample images.

Something that I would like to see a bit more on this forum as camera specs can be good but it's the feeling when you use it and how it aids you to take the pictures that you want to take that is most important.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
@acearchie
I'm very, very happy with my Nikon D7000, I've shot two weddings with it for friends and it has gone halfway around the world with me. There are certain tasks when my dslr is the better tool (e. g. when I need a focal length different from 23 mm ;)). My dslr is the best dslr I have ever owned and it does not limit me: its AF is much better than that of the camera I've owned before, the image quality is great.

What makes the X100s different from the D7000 is the emotional component, the purity and simplicity. It takes me back to the days when I shot with my dad's Zeiss Contessa (which still works today after 50 years!). I don't have to think which lenses to pack, I just take this (relatively) small camera and I'm set.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Absolutely

The X100s is the best camera I have ever owned, the more I use it, the more I fall in love. It's a camera that makes me want to take pictures.

Its classical user interface appeals to me, as does the optical viewfinder. Yes, the Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A and Sony RX1 are nice cameras, but you don't use them like a classical camera. The X100s can be used like my father's rangefinder from 1963 -- if I want to. Or I can have the live histogram and a level directly in the (optical as well as electronic) viewfinder.

There are so many little niceties, just to give you one of them: I use the optical viewfinder of my X100s, but when I snap a picture the camera switches to the electronic viewfinder and shows me the photo I've just taken for 1/2 second (you can configure the duration or whether you want this feature at all). On my dslr, I need to take my eyes off the viewfinder, press play, check the exposure and do it again. With the X100s, I can take a picture, check the exposure, dial in an exposure compensation and take another photo.

Whatever good things you've read about the image quality in the reviews, they're right, this camera produces exceptional images.
[url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1449445/MacNN/X100s/night_corner_Daimyo_small.jpg]Image[/url]
[url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1449445/MacNN/X100s/being_childish_small.jpg]Image[/url]
[url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1449445/MacNN/X100s/Martin_listening_small.jpg]Image[/url]
[url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1449445/MacNN/X100s/me_small.jpg]Image[/url]
(I'm the guy on the right wearing the Daringfireball T-shirt.)

Whether 35 mm equivalent focal length is right for you depends on, well, you. I already own a Sigma DP1 with a 28 mm equivalent lens, and I prefer 35 mm by a wide margin.

If you're concerned about the AF being slow, don't be. Yes, my dslr focusses faster with certain lenses (certainly not all of them), but focussing doesn't feel like you hold a compact camera in your hands. In terms of being able to find focus, the X100s' capabilities are comparable to my D7000: at a certain point, there just isn't enough contrast for a focus lock. But then it is pitch black dark.

Does the camera feel slow? Nope. Not as fast as my dslr, but I don't have to wait for it.

Do you have any other questions?

If I was God of my own camera universe, what would I want in my X100ss? I'd like to use TTL with my SB-700 and SB-600, and I'd like to iron out one or two things in the firmware (really, really minor things). Plus, I'd like to replace the main menu selector (the one with the wheel) by something that feels as good as the knobs on the top of the camera. And I'd like the battery to last longer (my D7000 lasts >1000 shots on a single charge, the record being ~1700 on a single battery, so I'm used to a lot more).

Disclaimer: I also own a D7000 with 5 lenses, two flashes and various goodies.

Got to agree! I bought my wife the X100 black last year and it is such a wonderful camera! You get such peace shooting with it in full Manual with the wonderful dials.....on my Canon I'm always worrying about settings.....with the X100 it just seems to flow!

So much so that I'm off from the Canon fold! Just about go for the XE-1....and trade everything in. I don't do sports photography and I can see that as the only down side with the Fuji and its slower focusing. 18-55mm zoom and f2 18mm to start and 55-200mm when it hits the shelves! The plan then is we will upgrade to XPro 2 on release next year and maybe the next iteration of the x100!

Lastly, such an apt post on the day they released the new Fuji M1!!

X100 Thailand photo below!

IMG_8984.jpeg

IMG_8110.jpeg

IMG_8996.jpeg

Last edited:

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I don't own a fuji x series camera myself, but I bought an X100 for someone a few months ago and had the opportunity to play around with it. I was very impressed and only have 2 complaints. The write speed to the SD card is painfully slow, and locks the camera while writing. I believe the X100s has addressed this issue. The second issue is that I couldn't work out how to get the option of where to view the image (viewfinder/LCD screen) to stick, it seemed to keep changing it's mind of where the image would pop up. I don't know if this was an issue with the camera or an menu setting.

I currently have a Leica M8 and I could be persuaded to part with this for an X100s. I think I would wait for an updated X Pro model before considering the interchangeable lens model.

I think Fuji is really on the right track with these cameras. It's a real shame the X mount is not capable of serving a full frame sensor (according to Fuji anyway). I would also prefer it if Fuji stripped out many of the functions as these cameras do seem to have an awful lot of extra software goodies crammed in that really are unnecessary. But in general, great little cameras.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
As a new X100S owner, I absolutely echo everything you just said. My X100S blows me away not only with its images but also with how much I love using it.

I downsized from my 5DII prime kit to the OM-D, but I'm honestly thinking of selling it all and sticking with the X100S exclusively; the OM-D and I never really "clicked". The fixed 35mm works well for me and keeps me from getting too focused on gear instead of enjoying the images.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I don't own a fuji x series camera myself, but I bought an X100 for someone a few months ago and had the opportunity to play around with it. I was very impressed and only have 2 complaints. The write speed to the SD card is painfully slow, and locks the camera while writing. I believe the X100s has addressed this issue.
The camera does not feel slow anymore, and the camera also does not lock up on writes.
The second issue is that I couldn't work out how to get the option of where to view the image (viewfinder/LCD screen) to stick, it seemed to keep changing it's mind of where the image would pop up.
I haven't noticed any issues with that on my X100s.
I currently have a Leica M8 and I could be persuaded to part with this for an X100s. I think I would wait for an updated X Pro model before considering the interchangeable lens model.
As Zach Arias writes: the Fuji is the new Leica. The Fujis have two advantages compared to the Leicas: (1) They are affordable. (2) They incorporate »new« technologies (autofocus, wow!) in a harmonious way with old-school camera design.
It's a real shame the X mount is not capable of serving a full frame sensor (according to Fuji anyway).
A full frame sensor would ruin the X-series cameras: their appeal is that you get very high quality optics, high quality bodies in a small package for an affordable price. The only benefit you would practically have from a full frame sensor is the shallower depth of field. If I were independently wealthy, I'd definitely want a full frame Fuji X-mount camera with a full complement of lenses :D

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
How about RAW conversion? Anyone using Aperture with one?

I'm seriously thinking about adding the X100s to complement (but not replace) my dslr. I'm happily tied to Aperture for my workflow.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I really appreciate the input here.

Can anyone tell me about diopters for this camera?

This is a serious contender for me and often the words of those that use the camera go far more than say a tech review or the maker's promises.

I did a scan of the new M1 and it isn't the camera for me as I want the old fashion camera to face access (though the pivoting lcd on the M1 is very practical in some situations).

Ultimately, I'll probably later go on to get a Fuji X camera with interchangeable lenses but for now, the 100s looks like a winner.

InTheMist

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
I have an X100S. My attraction was that it has a 35MM equivalent field of view and its small.
I have a full Nikon stable when I would like various lenses. It's not DSLR speed neither in focus nor startup.
I shoot in RAW+JPEG for tricky exposure situations, but the JPEGs are just amazing.

Use it - love it!

Waterfall Downstream from Mine Ruins by InTheMist, on Flickr

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
A little aside to the thread!

I was looking through Fujirumors.com today, going through the news section. Something struck me. The tone of the articles is that Fuji listen to the points raised by its users and look to incorporate in firm wear updates speedily! XPro 1 has been out awhile and there still tweaking away based on the XE-1 feedback! And also lens firmwear as well!

Gives me that warm feeling that they are dead serious in looking after my investment in them!

Quote Fujirumors.com

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) today announces the release of two new firmware updates for the FUJIFILM X-Pro1 and X-E1 compact system cameras, one on 25thJune and a further one on 23rd July.

25th June firmware update:

FUJIFILM X-Pro1 Ver.2.05, FUJIFILM X-E1 Ver.1.06

1. Additional functionality to improve “one-handed” camera operation

A ‘Focus Frame Selection’ option has been added to the ‘Fn’ (function) button.
This offers easier/quicker operation when setting the Focus Frame Selection using only your right hand.
A second ‘Fn’ button can be allocated.
This enables you to allocate a function to the selector “down” button. The default setting is ‘Focus Frame Selection’ but this can be changed to whatever suits your shooting style.

2. Enable aperture control for lenses without aperture rings (XF27mmF2.8 / XC16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS)

If you are using either of these lenses which do not feature aperture ring, this firmware update allows you to adjust the aperture setting by using the command dial.

23rd July firmware update:

FUJIFILM X-Pro1 Ver.3.00, FUJIFILM X-E1 Ver.2.00

1. Improvement of AF speed. Improves AF speed on all existing XF lenses, thanks to the updated algorithm throughout the full range of focal length. Lenses covered:

XF14mm F2.8 R
XF18mmF2 R
XF35mmF1.4 R
XF60mmF2.4 R Macro
XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS

NOTES:

The AF Speed on the XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R MS OIS lens has been already optimised.
For all lenses other than the XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R MS OIS, the firmware for each lens must be also updated.

2. ‘Focus Peak Highlight’ function for manual focusing

A ‘Focus Peak Highlight’ function, which features on the X100S and X20 cameras, can be added via this firmware update. It assists accurate and sensitive manual focusing by enhancing the outline of your subject in high contrast.

3. Improvement in ‘Checking Focus’ operation: how to change magnification ratio in manual focusing

The process to check focus by selecting manual focus magnification has improved. Just press and rotate the dial right or left and the camera will alternate magnification between 3x and then 10x , whichever way you continue to turn it.

The more I ponder the more I'm sure I'm jumping the DSLR ship.....

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I bought an X100 the day they appeared in the UK; I was generally shooting with a Canon 5D2 (mostly travel stuff, with a bit of family and friends in typically-poorly-lit locations) and had the Sigma 50/1.4 stuck on the body the majority of the time, but often wanted something a bit wider.

I'd not seen anything before that gave me the level of control that the 5D2 did, with decent low light performance, and most importantly (for me) portability. I was tired of being out and about - especially on holiday in evenings in restaurants etc. - with a huge DSLR+lens.

I loved the X100 from the moment I got it; yes, autofocus wasn't amazing (but I wasn't shooting sports stuff), but Fuji released a barrage of firmware updates that improved things no end, added functions and seem to listen to and act on user feedback.

I bought the Fuji XP1 and that's totally replaced my Canon 5D2, but the X100, despite it's poorer image quality than the XP1, is still the camera I grab whenever I'm going somewhere that's not a specifically photography-orientated excursion.

I'd absolutely love to upgrade to the X100s (and probably sell the 35/1.4 that I bought with the XP1 - I love the lens and its images but it's close to 23mm and I generally prefer the wider view) but I'm waiting for prices to drop a bit more and then to decide.

My aim is to be carrying X100s, XP1, 14/2.8 and 56/1.2. My wife has the XE-1 with 18-55 zoom.

I've played with the RAW images from both the X100 and the XP1 in Aperture and to be honest, so long as my exposure is correct and I'm not trying to work in the extremes of dynamic range, I can't get them to look as good as the out-of-camera JPEGs do without a LOT of fiddling. I generally just shoot in JPEG unless I specifically know I'm going to need the RAW.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I've been thinking of going to a smaller system with the X-Pro 1. However, I think I will wait until the X-Pro 2 so Fuji can refine it, like they refined the X100 to the X100S. Also, I'm waiting for the POV equivalent less for the 35mm and 85mm to be available. If not, I'd like to get the X100S to compliment my D800.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
*Raises hand*

I bought an X-Pro1 last fall and currently have the 35/1.4 and 14/2.8 primes. Phenomenal lenses and the X-Pro1 is a joy to use. The quality at high ISOs is what I would expect out of a full-frame body. I also appreciate how Fujifilm has continued to improve and support the camera through firmware updates.

I'm looking forward to the 56/1.2 slated for release early next year :)

5ca80bb607af4b149021c0a9ef8be8cb.jpg

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I've been seriously tempted by the X-E1, particularly since the price cut. It seems to pretty much have what I want in a digital camera. But I am in no rush so at this point I figure I might as well wait and see if the X-E2 comes out in the fall as rumored. I mean, I still have nine other cameras to play with in the meanwhile. Having an interchangeable lens would be essential for me; I can get adapters to use some of my current lenses.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
I too am in love with the Fuji X line of cameras. I own the X-E1; talked about it quite a bit already in other parts of these forums. Thing I like about the X-E1 over the other Fuji cameras; smaller than the X-Pro, with the ability to use different lenses over the X100... and all the great retro/real camera dials and knobs!

... really great in lowlight/high iso situations as well.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
First, thank you all for sharing the great photos.

I think my options just got expanded which now of course is frustrating as the x100s was and is my first round but then again, the interchange-able lens Fuji cameras really do get me yearning.

Last time I used a Fuji camera was with film. I still have one of two of my Fuji rangefinder rollfilm cameras - the Fuji 645w. The other one was stolen and it was a more of a standard lens and honestly, people thought for sure that the transparencies coming from both were from a Hassie or Rollie.

I'll have to find a good home for the Fuji 645w as it is just sitting in a camera bag tucked away.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Oh boy, you've all got be yearning even more (than I was already) for a x100s or X-E1, bank balance says "no" though :(

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I'll have to find a good home for the Fuji 645w as it is just sitting in a camera bag tucked away.

I'd be tempted to make you an offer for it, but the camera shelf is already overflowing. As it is, taking them all out for occasional walks is challenging enough.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
The x100s seems great. I currently have a nikon dslr set-up, d5100 with a whole lot of lenses, and am looking for something smaller for when i'm feeling lazy.

Debating between the Fuji X20 and Sony RX100. Any recommendations? Does the X20 IQ justify its killer good looks and handling over the sony? This will mostly be used when out casually, hence not under ideal lighting conditions. I've never used either camera, and in fact haven't used a compact in at least 7 years.

Thanks!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I'd be tempted to make you an offer for it, but the camera shelf is already overflowing. As it is, taking them all out for occasional walks is challenging enough.

I may put it up on CraigsList and see if I get some interest. It really is a good camera and Fuji, while not a big contender in medium format, certainly put out some amazing niche cameras in this venue with great lenses.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I think my options just got expanded which now of course is frustrating as the x100s was and is my first round but then again, the interchange-able lens Fuji cameras really do get me yearning.
I was in the same boat as you, I was sure I wanted a Fuji X camera, and I was deciding between the usual three. The biggest concern getting the X100s was that an interchangeable lens camera would make more sense. The X E-1 + lens would have cost me just a little more than the X100s, but I really wanted an optical viewfinder (after using the X100s I can say for a fact this was the right decision for me). The X Pro 1, however, is already quite a bit bulkier than the X100s, and given that I have a camera back chock full of Nikon dslr gear (D7000 + 5 lenses + 2 flashes), I decided to go with the X100s as a camera complementary to the dslr.

In the end, that was the right decision for me and I'm a very happy camper: the X100s is superb in every respect. And unlike the Sony RX1, Nikon Coolpix A or Ricoh GR (all of which are very good cameras), the X100s is a more traditional camera where you use the viewfinder to compose your photo. (I don't like composing photos on the lcd screen.)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
A bit late to this thread but chalk me up as another X convert. I bought a used X100 this week and I'm loving how natural it feels to operate and the great JPEGs it produces. It feels and looks like a "proper" camera to me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372496392.722625.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372496403.983238.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372496421.140700.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372496433.898697.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.