PDA

View Full Version : Safari in iOS 7: great ideas but not great execution.

iphnhelp
Jun 25, 2013, 10:15 AM
There are some things about Safari in iOS 7 that seem like great ideas in concept but aren't quite working out the way they are currently implemented. Does anyone else have a problem with these new features?

- The disappearing bottom toolbar. I like it but many times I find myself wanting to go to another bookmark, looking down, not seeing the button, and not knowing what to do. Then I have to remember to scroll up or down enough to bring it up, but I'm not sure how much to scroll so every time there is a bit of uncertainty.

- Swipe to go back/forward. I really like this feature but I find that when using my iPhone with my left hand and scrolling a page with my left thumb I frequently initiate a partial swipe back instead of scrolling.

- The unified search and .com button. I wanted this like everyone else but it just isn't working because the keyboard is too cramped. Maybe we need a row of buttons above the keyboard like Chrome. (Or, as I write this I notice, iOS puts a form back forward and Done button above the keyboard in Safari when typing in a form. Why not put the .com up there?)

- Favorite icons when taping in the URL bar. It seems confusing to have favorites in two places. Should I be using the menu as always, or this new full page interface? At the very least it should not be scaling up the small icons so they're pixelated and ugly, keep them small if they're not big enough.

I think all these things can be smoothed out before release. And hopefully they will be.

imaginex20
Jun 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
You don't have to scroll to bring the bottom bar back, just tap the stays bar once

Night Spring
Jun 25, 2013, 11:03 AM
You don't have to scroll to bring the bottom bar back, just tap the stays bar once

Not very obvious or discoverable, though. I thought it would be like how it works in a lot of apps, where you tap in the middle of the screen to bring up the controls. Took me a while to figure out I have to tap the... well, in my experience, you have to tap the website name, not the status bar. Tapping status bar jumps you to the top of the webpage.

Jakimo
Jun 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure why swiping tabs off to the left close them, but to the right is locked... seems both should work fine.

Unless to the right could become a gesture to send the tab to another iCloud instance of Safari..?

grockk
Jun 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
If you just touch down near the safari controls would be they also pop right up. So it's basically a double tap in the bottom left corner for the back button. The swipe gesture helps but still annoying to have to double tap to pull up the multitab switcher, or bookmarks, etc.

Jakimo
Jun 25, 2013, 11:16 AM
Reader is a bit broken as well, right now. Some articles get cut off and font choices haven't been implemented yet.

This article for example, when in Reader mode, produced a solid black at the bottom of the page, before the end of the article...

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/15787-supreme-court-bombshell-no-right-to-remain-silent

----------

The double tap without waiting for the bar to appear works with all of the bottom bar functions...

jamesnajera
Jun 25, 2013, 11:22 AM
There are some things about Safari in iOS 7 that seem like great ideas in concept but aren't quite working out the way they are currently implemented. Does anyone else have a problem with these new features?

- The disappearing bottom toolbar. I like it but many times I find myself wanting to go to another bookmark, looking down, not seeing the button, and not knowing what to do. Then I have to remember to scroll up or down enough to bring it up, but I'm not sure how much to scroll so every time there is a bit of uncertainty.

You can tap the status bar, but it is still lacking intuitiveness. Agree, I don't like it.

- Swipe to go back/forward. I really like this feature but I find that when using my iPhone with my left hand and scrolling a page with my left thumb I frequently initiate a partial swipe back instead of scrolling.

Same thing happens with me. In other words, I don't think this works on the iPhone, but this should work on the iPad (just mimic the way it is done in OSX, two fingers).

- The unified search and .com button. I wanted this like everyone else but it just isn't working because the keyboard is too cramped. Maybe we need a row of buttons above the keyboard like Chrome. (Or, as I write this I notice, iOS puts a form back forward and Done button above the keyboard in Safari when typing in a form. Why not put the .com up there?)

I do not like the unified search on the iPhone, again this probably works fine on the iPad, the iPhone screen is to small. I thought the reason for it not being unified on the iPhone was to offer the custom keyboards, one for search and one for urls, since the iPhone's screen is so small.

- Favorite icons when taping in the URL bar. It seems confusing to have favorites in two places. Should I be using the menu as always, or this new full page interface? At the very least it should not be scaling up the small icons so they're pixelated and ugly, keep them small if they're not big enough.

I hate that the Bookmarks Bar has been renamed to favorites. I don't understand why there is LACK of consistency between Mavericks and iOS7. This is very annoying.

I think all these things can be smoothed out before release. And hopefully they will be.

Fingers crossed, otherwise Apple just introduced fragmentation to iOS. However there is one big difference in fragmentation between Apple and Android. On Android, fragmentation exists mainly because the phone manufacturer do not update there roms to support the new Android release. For Apple, fragmentation will exist because people will not want to update to the new iOS. If fragmentation happens like this to Apple then this is BAD, VERY BAD. Unlike Android, where you have customers wanting to update, with no official roms existing, Apple will have the released OS, and the customers will choose not to update.

throAU
Jun 25, 2013, 11:23 AM
You understand the concept of "Developer Preview", yes?

iOS DPs are to get APIs out there for programmers to test. Not really for product evaluation :)

Hence, they most likely WILL be rough around the edges.

Hell, a heap of the preference panes in OS X 10.9 DP1 were blacked out...

jamesnajera
Jun 25, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure why swiping tabs off to the left close them, but to the right is locked... seems both should work fine.

Unless to the right could become a gesture to send the tab to another iCloud instance of Safari..?

Or this is a example of where tabs should look and act as done to manage running apps in iOS7, flick the tabs up. This would still provide a familiar look to the way tabs works in iOS6, but give it a fresh way of interacting with the user.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 03:22 PM
If you just touch down near the safari controls would be they also pop right up. So it's basically a double tap in the bottom left corner for the back button. The swipe gesture helps but still annoying to have to double tap to pull up the multitab switcher, or bookmarks, etc.I'd say this is somewhat harder than tapping on the website URL right below the status bar at the top. Usually you can have links or other web site controls that are present at the bottom of the screen, so how would iOS properly figure out what you are trying to do in a situation like that--tap on some link/control on the web site you are on at the bottom of your screen, or actually bring up the Safari navigation bar?

Frederico Luna
Jun 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
You sir, now what you are talking! Apple, please listen to him.

I agree with all the mentioned points.

My suggestions:

- remove the '.com' shortcut on the keyboard for the unified bar.
- go back = 2 finger swipe

~Ks383~
Jun 28, 2013, 12:50 PM
You sir, now what you are talking! Apple, please listen to him.

I agree with all the mentioned points.

My suggestions:

- remove the '.com' shortcut on the keyboard for the unified bar.
- go back = 2 finger swipe

That would work fine on the iPad, but definitely would not work for one handed operation on the iPhone.

joejoejoe
Jun 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
they should really do away with favorites on new tab pages and incorporate top sites.

that would be awesome.

Armen
Jun 28, 2013, 03:10 PM

I completely agree with every statement you have made :)

HCO
Jun 28, 2013, 03:14 PM
the only thing i don't like is the space .com button. it just needs the . again i like that the top and bottom disappear it shows a little more of the website.

PB2013
Jun 29, 2013, 07:07 AM
My bookmarkbar isnt showing, how can i enable it (i did enable it in the settings...)

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 29, 2013, 07:21 AM

Holy crap does that piss me off. :confused:

CJM
Jul 3, 2013, 07:07 AM
Is there any way to bring up the control panel in Safari? It just scrolls down the page for me.

Tyler23
Jul 3, 2013, 07:33 AM
Is there any way to bring up the control panel in Safari? It just scrolls down the page for me.

Start swiping up from off the screen, near the home button. Works every time for me.

nikicampos
Jul 3, 2013, 04:45 PM

So you basically want something like this, buttons over buttons that tell us where's everything is?

iphnhelp
Jul 3, 2013, 10:12 PM
So you basically want something like this, buttons over buttons that tell us where's everything is?

uh, no.

As I said I like all these changes just think they need some improvement.

Also, whoever mentioned tapping the bottom of safari to bring up the menu- that's been working well. But it's not very obvious. Maybe we'll see some of this addressed in beta 3 next week.

iphnhelp
Jul 9, 2013, 12:54 PM
Just an update with Beta 3 reflections:

Obviously removing the .com button and making the Go button smaller helps immensely. It's a great tradeoff because usually by the time you need to type .com the autocomplete suggestion usually lists the site anyway and you can just click on it. And I even find just type . c o m is even faster than the long-press .com on the . So goodness all around.

And now that I know hitting the bottom of the screen to bring up the bottom bar I use that all the time. But still I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have this whole full screen browsing thing be optional.

Does anyone know if safari on iPad has the same full screen functionality in iOS7?

jamesnajera
Jul 9, 2013, 12:56 PM
Just an update with Beta 3 reflections:

Obviously removing the .com button and making the Go button smaller helps immensely. It's a great tradeoff because usually by the time you need to type .com the autocomplete suggestion usually lists the site anyway and you can just click on it. And I even find just type . c o m is even faster than the long-press .com on the . So goodness all around.

And now that I know hitting the bottom of the screen to bring up the bottom bar I use that all the time. But still I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have this whole full screen browsing thing be optional.

Does anyone know if safari on iPad has the same full screen functionality in iOS7?

Does holding down the "." button present options like .com, .net or .org?

Simplicated
Jul 9, 2013, 01:15 PM
Does holding down the "." button present options like .com, .net or .org?

Yes.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 9, 2013, 01:24 PM
JONY IVE CHANGES HIS MIND: Apple Makes One Of The Biggest Changes Ever To Beta iPhone Software http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-changes-his-mind-apple-makes-one-of-the-biggest-changes-ever-to-beta-iphone-software-2013-7 Will this help?

Simplicated
Jul 9, 2013, 01:28 PM
JONY IVE CHANGES HIS MIND: Apple Makes One Of The Biggest Changes Ever To Beta iPhone Software http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-changes-his-mind-apple-makes-one-of-the-biggest-changes-ever-to-beta-iphone-software-2013-7 Will this help?

Another day, another BSiness Insider BS.

This is great news, because there is a lot of stuff wrong with the new iOS that needs tweaking.

What exactly is wrong? The author just leaves this as a conclusion and attempts to skew people's mind.

KenAFSPC
Jul 9, 2013, 08:17 PM
Another day, another BSiness Insider BS.

Ehh? The article is absolutely correct in that regard.

Historically, Apple's developer betas were design complete and Apple showed zero interest in any comments about design. During past developer betas, Apple did not even dignify design comments\concerns with replies.

For those that think IOS7 design criticism is pointless, here's a a good post by the developer of Instapaper:

http://www.marco.org/2013/07/09/effecting-apple-change-from-outside

mcdj
Jul 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
I installed beta 3 on my iphone 5 after a less than positive experience with b2 on my ipad mini. Better so far in some ways; still a style over substance experience in many other ways IMO.

After using it on the iphone for a couple of days, things started getting sluggish. I then happened to tap the Safari tab icon and discovered I had about 10 open tabs. There was zero indication anywhere that I had that many tabs open.

Where the heck did the tab count on the icon go?

jamesnajera
Jul 11, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hopefully they continue to fix the calendar. I am glad for the gray dots, but I also want to see a list of events I have for a day under the month view. I am not a fan of List only view.

mcdj
Jul 11, 2013, 08:37 PM
Hopefully they continue to fix the calendar. I am glad for the gray dots, but I also want to see a list of events I have for a day under the month view. I am not a fan of List only view.

Wrong thread Fred.

kockgunner
Jul 12, 2013, 03:43 AM
I love the Safari bar behaviour as you get so much more space. I agree it's not as intuitive, but it's a tradeoff for Apple to make better interfaces and not just cater to those people who haven't seen an iPhone in their life :D . Also, I would say it's pretty discoverable since users will most likely tap the top or bottom areas in regular usage by accident.

I wrote a post about Safari's toolbar behaviour by the way. http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/18/4440774/ux-niceties-ios-7s-safari-auto-hide-address-bars

uhaas
Jul 12, 2013, 08:07 AM
I love the Safari bar behaviour as you get so much more space. I agree it's not as intuitive, but it's a tradeoff for Apple to make better interfaces and not just cater to those people who haven't seen an iPhone in their life :D . Also, I would say it's pretty discoverable since users will most likely tap the top or bottom areas in regular usage by accident.

I wrote a post about Safari's toolbar behaviour by the way. http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/18/4440774/ux-niceties-ios-7s-safari-auto-hide-address-bars

As to it appearing when you reach the bottom of the page, I often visit news site with miles of comments after the article. Finish the article, I want to navigate. The tap should be easy enough though.

Night Spring
Jul 12, 2013, 11:14 AM
I love the Safari bar behaviour as you get so much more space.

But in iOS 6, the URL bar at the top disappears as you scroll down, but now the URL is always displayed no matter where you are in the page. So I feel like I gained space at the bottom but lost it at the top.

And for some reason, the icons at the bottom never bothered me, but the URL at the top always seem to be in my face, and I find it rather irritating.

Plus, with so many apps, like iBooks, Instapaper, Kindle, etc, etc, where tapping in the middle brings up UI controls, I'm finding it very hard to remember to tap at the bottom in Safari to get the controls. It's like in Windows, alt-F4 closes the program, but then someone writes a program that uses a different command for that. If some program did that, I'm sure they would get very heavily criticized.

kockgunner
Jul 13, 2013, 01:01 AM
But in iOS 6, the URL bar at the top disappears as you scroll down, but now the URL is always displayed no matter where you are in the page. So I feel like I gained space at the bottom but lost it at the top.

And for some reason, the icons at the bottom never bothered me, but the URL at the top always seem to be in my face, and I find it rather irritating.

Plus, with so many apps, like iBooks, Instapaper, Kindle, etc, etc, where tapping in the middle brings up UI controls, I'm finding it very hard to remember to tap at the bottom in Safari to get the controls. It's like in Windows, alt-F4 closes the program, but then someone writes a program that uses a different command for that. If some program did that, I'm sure they would get very heavily criticized.

I understand some people would prefer the chrome to be on the bottom -- it's a preference thing. But the new UI gives much more space. iOS 6's navigation bar alone is taller than the shrunken address bar in iOS 7 and that's not counting the status bar.

Personally I don't find it confusing that tapping in the middle of the screen doesn't bring up navigation controls in Safari. The only apps that bring up controls by tapping the middle is reading/PDF apps or photo apps which display content that is not interactive. This interface would not work in a browser because it wouldn't know whether you are trying to tap a link or bring up controls.

Night Spring
Jul 13, 2013, 05:09 AM
I understand some people would prefer the chrome to be on the bottom -- it's a preference thing. But the new UI gives much more space. iOS 6's navigation bar alone is taller than the shrunken address bar in iOS 7 and that's not counting the status bar.

Agree that it's a preference thing, and that the new layout in iOS 7 does give more space. I just find that the top bar is always in my field of vision, and since they were trying to give more space to content, why not just get rid of the top bar as well as the bottom?

Personally I don't find it confusing that tapping in the middle of the screen doesn't bring up navigation controls in Safari. The only apps that bring up controls by tapping the middle is reading/PDF apps or photo apps which display content that is not interactive. This interface would not work in a browser because it wouldn't know whether you are trying to tap a link or bring up controls.

To me, Safari is basically another reading app, in that most of what I do in safari is read. So I guess that's why I find this divergent behavior confusing, because I expect it to act like other reading apps. As for links, I don't see that as a problem either, as all you have to do is, when you tap on a link, it assumes you are tapping a link, and if you tap somewhere not a link, it brings up controls. It's not like most pages are so full of links that you can't find a place that's not a link to tap.

cloudyo
Jul 13, 2013, 08:53 AM
just mimic the way [scrolling] is done in OSX
My thoughts exactly! Why not make it so that scrolling all the way to the left of a webpage initiates the back command? You could error proof that by having to scroll left once again after you've reached the edge of the webpage - just as in OSX!
There is not even a need to require a two finger gesture (as that would in turn require you to use both hands).

Taipan
Jul 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
Can anybody tell me how to invoke tab view on the iPad? It doesn't have the bar on the bottom.
Also, I have to open a new tab to leave private mode. That's strange...

lsquare
Jul 15, 2013, 04:18 AM
Does anyone here whether the password sync/generator feature have been implemented in Mobile Safari yet?

bobbysmith
Jul 15, 2013, 06:59 AM
I hope they fix the favorites screen. Only some of my bookmarks show icons, the rest just show the title in a tiny gray font on a white background.

iphnhelp
Jul 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
The favorites screen shows the icon used by the websites in your favorites. Some websites don't have icons. Sites like the Verge have a great icon. Some sites don't so they are plain gray.

It's a little different on iPad because the icons that are too small and blown up and pixelated just show as a color square and look much nicer- I assume that'll be coming to iPhone.

bobbysmith
Jul 15, 2013, 12:55 PM
The favorites screen shows the icon used by the websites in your favorites. Some websites don't have icons. Sites like the Verge have a great icon. Some sites don't so they are plain gray.

It's a little different on iPad because the icons that are too small and blown up and pixelated just show as a color square and look much nicer- I assume that'll be coming to iPhone.
It also happens on some sites that do have favorite icons (they show in other browsers), but my complaint is that it doesn't even show a generic icon or a bordered square or anything. It only shows the title below an empty part of the background. It looks really, really stupid with all this random empty space in between icons.

iphnhelp
Jul 15, 2013, 01:28 PM
Oh ok... must be buggy because I haven't seen that yet on mine.

Sodner
Jul 15, 2013, 01:41 PM
I agree on some of your points. I find that to many of the features have to be accidently happened apon vs having them be obvious.

How is someone supposed to know that
- you can now swipe back and forth in Safari?
- you can shake the phone in e-mail to undelete?
- you can swipe text messages to see time sent?

We're going to need a manual! :D

~Ks383~
Jul 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
I agree on some of your points. I find that to many of the features have to be accidently happened apon vs having them be obvious.

How is someone supposed to know that
- you can now swipe back and forth in Safari?
- you can shake the phone in e-mail to undelete?
- you can swipe text messages to see time sent?

We're going to need a manual! :D

You are able to swipe to go to a previous page in menus in iOS 7, people will most likely get used to that. Swiping to move between pages in safari would seem normal then. Also, some apps are already incorporating this. An example would be the newest version of the AP news app. It uses gestures like swiping to go between news articles and to bring up the menu. Shaking the phone already allows you in iOS 6 to undelete text, undeleting an email could be seen as a natural extension of this. I completely agree on the text message thing. That does seem unintuitive.