Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I'm looking for a means to record some footage of my application which uses OpenGL for gfx (yes, it's a game). My problem is finding a way to do it without slowing down my game's framerate. I tried using quicktime, but that slowed my game down to a crawl. Since my game uses frame based movement, it has to run at a solid 60fps. So far, I haven't seen a Mac equivalent to Fraps.

One thing I do have is avilib, so if all else fails, I can write my own code to save each frame as a .jpg into a temporary folder, edit/remove the headers as necessary and save write each frame to a MJPG compressed .avi file. I've decoded MJPG encoded .avi files before, so encoding one shouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure I'd have to multi-thread the code to avoid effecting the game's frame rate.

Any other alternatives? Thanks.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
There is a demo app on developer.apple.com that shows how to make a QuickTime movie from an OpenGL view. I can't remember what the project is called, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.