Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Appleton, WI
Can I buy any SATA hard drive and install it in my Dual 2.0 G5? I want to add a second hard drive for video editing work. It was easy in the PC world. Is it "plug and play" on my new Mac?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mwatch said:
Can I buy any SATA hard drive and install it in my Dual 2.0 G5? I want to add a second hard drive for video editing work. It was easy in the PC world. Is it "plug and play" on my new Mac?
Basically, Yes.

It has to be a 3.5" SATA drive of course. And although you can install one of the new SATA II drives, there is no benefit to doing so, the SATA controiller on the Mac is only SATA 150 (as are 99% of PC's as well)

You want to look for a drive with the full manufacturer's warranty of 3 (Maxtor, WD, Hitachi) or 5 (Seagate) years. Get it in writing. Beware of the cheapest drives that are "pulls", OEMs or recertified drives and have zero to one year warranty.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yes, hard drives are hard drives. Any SATA drive will work, and you'll use Disk Utility to format it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
CanadaRAM said:
And although you can install one of the new SATA II drives, there is no benefit to doing so, the SATA controiller on the Mac is only SATA 150 (as are 99% of PC's as well)
I've heard horror stories about using NCQ enabled drives with pre NCQ SATA controllers for Windows and Linux.

Is NCQ supported? If so make sure the drive supports it too for best performance. Otherwise you might have to find a non-NCQ drive.

B

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
CanadaRAM said:
No, NCQ is not supported by any Mac, and not by 95% of PC's

I just purchased one of those monster 500GB SATA 2 drives from Hitachi for my upcoming Quad. I know one of the features is NCQ ... will this affect its performance on a Mac? Or is this nothing for me to have to worry about?

mwatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Appleton, WI
Thank you for the information. I just ordered a HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 0A31636 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM. I did check the Hitachi web site and it said that this drive is backwards compatible with SATA 150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.