PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 is gorgeous on iPhone 5. On Mini? Not so much.

Tom359
Jun 25, 2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe I'll get used to it, but if my first impression of iOS 7 was on my iPad mini, I would think that Apple had missed the mark. Fortunately, I've been using it on my iPhone 5 since it was released and absolutely love it on that.

On my iPhone, it is gorgeous and a pleasure to use. On the mini, it just seems to be "off" a little. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it has to do with the size of the Notification Center and Control Center. When you pull down the Notifications, they blur out the entire screen, but on the iPad it doesn't utilize the entire area, so it looks odd to have my entire screen blurred out with just the very center area populated with actual data. On the iPhone's narrow screen, it looks completely natural. I almost think that these screens should slide out from the side and not cover the entire screen on iPads.

Anyone else having the same reaction?

sonicrobby
Jun 25, 2013, 11:05 AM
I actually had the opposite reaction. I dont like the way it feels on my iphone 5, but love it on the mini

batting1000
Jun 25, 2013, 11:06 AM
I actually had the opposite reaction. I dont like the way it feels on my iphone 5, but love it on the mini

I think it looks great on both.

PrometheusGeek
Jun 25, 2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe I'll get used to it, but if my first impression of iOS 7 was on my iPad mini, I would think that Apple had missed the mark. Fortunately, I've been using it on my iPhone 5 since it was released and absolutely love it on that.

On my iPhone, it is gorgeous and a pleasure to use. On the mini, it just seems to be "off" a little. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it has to do with the size of the Notification Center and Control Center. When you pull down the Notifications, they blur out the entire screen, but on the iPad it doesn't utilize the entire area, so it looks odd to have my entire screen blurred out with just the very center area populated with actual data. On the iPhone's narrow screen, it looks completely natural. I almost think that these screens should slide out from the side and not cover the entire screen on iPads.

Anyone else having the same reaction?

Pics?

throAU
Jun 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
Given the layered effects they are using, I suspect the retina display will make them a lot more "natural" and like you're interacting with panes of glass.

I haven't installed it on anything yet...

Tom359
Jun 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
I can't post pics right now, will try later.

One other thing I've noticed is that the mini being non-retina is bothering me for the first time. On iOS 6, I never had any issues with it being non-retina, I thought it looked fine. Now I really notice the jaggies with the new "thin" system font, and the system colors look really washed out. The red "delete" button in mail looks very vibrant in my iPhone, but looks washed out and almost a different color on the mini.

Sirious
Jun 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
Pics?

Here's a picture of Notification Centre on iPad in iOS 7:

AgentElliot007
Jun 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
I love iOS 7 on the iPhone. I am really struggling with loving it on my 4th Gen iPad. "Off" is exactly what I've been thinking. All in all, it just doesn't feel right, and so many of the design decisions that work fairly well on the iPhone don't feel right to me on the iPad, they just feel, again, "off." If it was just the colors and icons, I'd be fine, but it's really everything else. It's confounding, because at times it feels overly cluttered, despite that in many ways it's not taking advantage of all the space afforded by the bigger screen. It all just feels very awkward, which is the opposite of how I've felt about iOS 7 on the iPhone. The two experiences are night and day to me so far.

Night Spring
Jun 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
I love iOS 7 on the iPhone. I am really struggling with loving it on my 4th Gen iPad. "Off" is exactly what I've been thinking. All in all, it just doesn't feel right, and so many of the design decisions that work fairly well on the iPhone don't feel right to me on the iPad, they just feel, again, "off." If it was just the colors and icons, I'd be fine, but it's really everything else. It's confounding, because at times it feels overly cluttered, despite that in many ways it's not taking advantage of all the space afforded by the bigger screen. It all just feels very awkward, which is the opposite of how I've felt about iOS 7 on the iPhone. The two experiences are night and day to me so far.

Well, "overly cluttered and awkward" about summarizes how I feel about iOS 7 on my iPhone, lol. I haven't put 7 on an iPad yet (debating if I feel like doing it or not), but I suspect that the problems I'm feeling with the iOS 7 on the iPhone would just get compounded / be more noticeable on the iPad's larger screen.

Tom359
Jun 25, 2013, 03:59 PM
Here's a picture of Notification Centre on iPad in iOS 7:

This picture doesn't really convey what I was talking about. I use my mini almost exclusively in landscape mode. That really shows off the blank areas on both sides.

cosmic68
Jun 25, 2013, 04:03 PM
Agree with OP on this. Looks amazing on iPhone, but insubstantial on iPad mini. The thin line icon on Safari for example need beefing up a bit.

Sirious
Jun 25, 2013, 04:56 PM
i use my mini almost exclusively in landscape mode. That really shows off the blank areas on both sides.

Here you go again.. =P