PDA

View Full Version : Photo of iPhone 5S Display Assemblies on Production Line Surfaces

MacRumors
Jun 25, 2013, 11:43 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/25/photo-of-iphone-5s-display-assemblies-on-production-line-surfaces/)

G4Games points (http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/iphone-5s-entering-mass-prodution-release-date-approaching-36972/) to a photo posted to Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo that allegedly shows display assemblies from the iPhone 5S. While better photos (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/17/iphone-5s-display-assembly-surfaces-appears-to-fit-leaked-logic-board/) of the part surfaced last week and we've received a number of other photos of the assemblies, the new photo is notable because the parts appear to have been photographed on a production line.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/iphone_5s_displays_production_line.jpg
The photo is relatively small, but the resolution is good enough that the redesigned flex cable connectors on the iPhone 5S part can be seen. On the iPhone 5, the two connectors supporting the display itself and the touch digitizer are both oriented horizontally, while on the iPhone 5S one is oriented vertically and the other horizontally.

The report suggests that the photo points to mass production of the display assemblies already being underway with the possibility of the device being ready for launch earlier than expected. Mass production of the display was, however, previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/07/sharp-slated-to-begin-iphone-5s-display-production-in-june/) to be ramping up this month, and a public launch is expected around the September timeframe alongside the release of iOS 7.

Parts for the iPhone 5S are beginning to leak with increasing frequency, and over the past several days we have shared several photos (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apples-prototype-iphone-5s-based-on-new-a7-chip/) of the rear shell and internals from an early iPhone 5S prototype, revealing a new A-series chip, a larger capacity battery, and an updated rear camera system with dual-LED flash.

Article Link: Photo of iPhone 5S Display Assemblies on Production Line Surfaces (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/25/photo-of-iphone-5s-display-assemblies-on-production-line-surfaces/)

nick_elt
Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
wonder if they are getting a bigger stockpile to start with, the main reason i cancelled my iphone 5 for note 2 was because it was taking so long to get (was in europe, not the states) as I waited up at night to pre order and the had none in stock from day 1

chrmjenkins
We'll have to wait for the actual device to know if anything significant has changed (gorilla glass 3, IGZO display, etc.)

Battlefield Fan
Is that a finger print sensor on the home button that I see on the left phone?

madKIR
Jun 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
Looks like a hole to me....

oneMadRssn
Jun 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
Not sure if home button is different, or just blurry.

keysofanxiety
Jun 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
dat doubling down on secrecy

On a serious note though, I'm very excited to see what Apple's next gen CPU has to offer. With any luck they'll also make 32/64GB the minimum storage amount on iOS devices. :)

YeahBuddy
Jun 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
I'm hoping its a more exciting release than the 4S announcement. Leading up to that event there were so many iPhone 5 rumors that it left a lot of people underwhelmed.

I'm glad there aren't iPhone 6 rumors running rampid.

JDee
Jun 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
Looks like an iPod Touch :S

bushido
Jun 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
Looks almost bigger. Must be the angle i guess

aristotle
Jun 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
wonder if they are getting a bigger stockpile to start with, the main reason i cancelled my iphone 5 for note 2 was because it was taking so long to get (was in europe, not the states) as I waited up at night to pre order and the had none in stock from day 1
Wow, talk about first world problems. You cancelled your order because you could not get it right away? I am playing the smallest violin for you right now.

Get some perspective man.

Amazing Iceman
Jun 25, 2013, 12:09 PM
If you look closely at the two phones, you'll notice their form factors are different. It is true that the angle of the photo is definitely causing some distortion, but the phone that is closer on the left side does not have the same form factor as the iPhone 5. It looks more like an iPhone 4s.

Also the phone on the left does not show the space for the Home button as the phone on the right shows it very clear.

Unless these are two different models of the 5s (in the same assembly line???), I would say this photo is a fake.

bushido
Jun 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
If you look closely at the two phones, you'll notice their form factors are different. It is true that the angle of the photo is definitely causing some distortion, but the phone that is closer on the left side does not have the same form factor as the iPhone 5. It looks more like an iPhone 4s.

Also the phone on the left does not show the space for the Home button as the phone on the right shows it very clear.

Unless these are two different models of the 5s (in the same assembly line???), I would say this photo is a fake.

Yea it almost looks wider. The one on the left that is

Lylyluvda916
Jun 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
Looks almost bigger. Must be the angle i guess

I second that. Could just be wishful thinking

bushido
Jun 25, 2013, 12:18 PM

it might actually be bigger? look at the earpiece (or whatever its called in english, i dont even know what to call it in german lol) and its distance to the edge of the phone the distance seems to be further than on the iphone 5

Amazing Iceman
Jun 25, 2013, 12:20 PM

At first, I thought it could be just the angle of the photo, but in that angle, the phone on the left should look much longer, not wider.

mbh
Jun 25, 2013, 12:22 PM
They should release the 5S earlier. The 20 month anniversary of the 4S release has passed and lots of people are becoming eligible for an upgrade.

macs4nw
Jun 25, 2013, 12:24 PM
I'm hoping its a more exciting release than the 4S announcement. Leading up to that event there were so many iPhone 5 rumors that it left a lot of people underwhelmed.....

That 'underwhelmed' feeling was quickly overshadowed.

Who doesn't remember that day, October 4/2011, the mood at the keynote was sombre, steve's absence was palpable, of course the execs knew then, what the world would learn the following day.....

Amazing Iceman
Jun 25, 2013, 12:26 PM
They should release the 5S earlier. The 20 month anniversary of the 4S release has passed and lots of people are becoming eligible for an upgrade.

Apple seems to be waiting to release iOS 7 with the new iPhone, so that could be one reason for the delay.

Also, October (or Fall season) has become the more traditional launch month for big Apple products, as is usually the season when people buy gifts for Christmas and other gift-giving festivities of end-of year.

alent1234
Jun 25, 2013, 12:30 PM

not anymore they are not

24 months now with verizon and at&T

MacGizmo
Jun 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
If you look closely, there is a line of text along the bottom edge of front display which identifies the location where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

applesith
Jun 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
I know it's the angle, but the one on the left looks much bigger.

billystlyes
Jun 25, 2013, 12:37 PM
Wake me up when the screen size comes in at 5-6 inches. 4 inch screens are lame.

P0pth
Jun 25, 2013, 12:37 PM
No reflection on the screen right ?????

strausd
Jun 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
Double down on secrecy? Ya Ok....

mbh
Jun 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
not anymore they are not

That's for new contracts. Old contracts started when the 4S was released are still 20 months, AFAIK. I'm eligible and I bought the 4S at release.

Girianth
Jun 25, 2013, 12:44 PM
This is a little weird

terraphantm
Jun 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
not anymore they are not

It wasn't then. So many 4s owners (myself included) are eligible for an upgrade. I don't think I'll bother though. If I do get a new phone (probably not an iphone), I'll buy it off contract

guiromaraca
Jun 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
Yes, is due to stir up the IPhone rumors roundup and bring up the hype. I do care since I am changing Android to check out IPhone Apple flagship. Let's go Apple is time to make some xtra cash.

1080p
Jun 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
Double down on secrecy? Ya Ok....

This is what they meant.

Tiger8
Jun 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
Yes, is due to stir up the IPhone rumors roundup and bring up the hype. I do care since I am changing Android to check out IPhone Apple flagship. Let's go Apple is time to make some xtra cash.

And yet you care enough to register for a macrumor.com account and post exactly 7 posts to let us know that you don't care... nice

xcodeaddict
Jun 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
I am playing the smallest violin for you right now.

Imaginative phrase... :rolleyes:

KhrisGarcia
Jun 25, 2013, 01:19 PM
I'm eligible as of of June 12. I just bought a new hip case for my 4s. I'm sticking with it. :)

jonnysods
Jun 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
Wow. One on the left seems wider.

dstankus
Jun 25, 2013, 01:30 PM

I think that's probably due to the angle of the photo...

DavidLeblond
Jun 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
Maybe I missed something, but since this is supposedly a picture of the iPhone 5S assembly line, why is everyone looking for differences between the two displays in the picture. Wouldn't they both be iPhone 5Ses?

sclawis300
Jun 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Maybe I missed something, but since this is supposedly a picture of the iPhone 5S assembly line, why is everyone looking for differences between the two displays in the picture. Wouldn't they both be iPhone 5Ses?

This is a forum...not a place for logic. ha ha ha. They would continue to produce the iPhone 5 but I don't know how that would work. Possible there would be a separate line for it but also possible there would be multiple rows of phones on the 1 line and lets say 3 out of 4 are 5s and 1 is 5.

Nishi100
Jun 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Same size.

nick_elt
Jun 25, 2013, 01:43 PM
Wow, talk about first world problems. You cancelled your order because you could not get it right away? I am playing the smallest violin for you right now.

no, not right away, about 2 months later and i didn't have a phone! keep playing whatever you want turned out to be the best decision I've made*

pancakedrawer
Jun 25, 2013, 01:50 PM
Same size.

Thank you.
Those 'omg it's slightly wider' posts were getting annoying.

Christian 5G
Jun 25, 2013, 01:54 PM
To me looks wider and the difference on home button, looks like rumored fingerprint sensor

iMcLovin
Jun 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
To me looks wider and the difference on home button, looks like rumored fingerprint sensor

Its not wider, checked with photoshop vanishing point, placing the far away phone on top of the closest shows that its exactly the same. And the strange button is because some light reflects in that angle making that area hard to read. (hence the strong reflection of the glass as well)

So stop tricking yourself to believe its something more than what it actually is. In fact this is such an uninteresting photo that if its real or not doesn´t matter. For all I know it is for the iphone 5. And who cares? its the same front model and size, probably it will fit both too....This is just the definition of yawn news.

isomorphic
Jun 25, 2013, 02:41 PM
Wake me up when the screen size comes in at 5-6 inches. 4 inch screens are lame.

www.apple.com/ipad-mini/

Shagrat
Jun 25, 2013, 02:57 PM

Why not get a Samsung, then?

:rolleyes:

El Cabong
Jun 25, 2013, 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that getting mad at someone for not getting an iPhone is more of a first world problem than deciding not to get an iPhone.

applesith
Jun 25, 2013, 03:56 PM
I think that's probably due to the angle of the photo...

Yeah, did you miss the first half of the one sentence I posted???

darkfiber
Jun 25, 2013, 04:20 PM
It looks like a slot car racing track for iPhones. :-)

tcphoto
Jun 25, 2013, 04:26 PM
Let's hope the quality control is a lot better than the previous version. If so and I'll be utilizing my upgrade or just wait for Foxcom and Apple to get their s!it together.

Jimmy James
Jun 25, 2013, 04:37 PM
Looks bigger. Please, no.

Dominicanyor
Jun 25, 2013, 04:54 PM
It looks wider!!

ariporad
Jun 25, 2013, 05:13 PM
In addition to the left one being bigger, the home button looks like it is already in place versus on the right there is still a hole?

pipa
Jun 25, 2013, 05:15 PM
I know the light is reflecting off the phone on the left, but there does not seem to be a hole where the home button should be. Let's see what happens

jtruong
Jun 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
Poor Apple...stocks will dip below $350 when the "same" iPhone 5s is released. Apple runs out of design idea? I wish something like 4.5" iPhone 5s for this year and 5" iPhone 6 next year:

Koolaid74
Jun 25, 2013, 06:14 PM
Why are people still speculating that 5S will be any different compared to 5 in terms of the dimensions/design? Have none of us learned from 3/3S and 4/4S? Expecting the design to be different between 5 and 5S would be setting ourselves up for a disappointment. Fool me once...

Jamesesesesess
Jun 25, 2013, 06:25 PM
I know the light is reflecting off the phone on the left, but there does not seem to be a hole where the home button should be. Let's see what happens

Yeah, there's definitely not a hole there. Praying it's a fingerprint scanner.

jtruong
Jun 25, 2013, 07:01 PM
Why are people still speculating that 5S will be any different compared to 5 in terms of the dimensions/design? Have none of us learned from 3/3S and 4/4S? Expecting the design to be different between 5 and 5S would be setting ourselves up for a disappointment. Fool me once...

But it doesn't mean it won't happen. Has Apple said that 5s to be the same as 5 or even there's any 5s at all?
The point is to release something that's unpredictable and wow the users just like Steve Job's "One More Thing". I'm a fan of Apple products (I bought iPod Mini, Nano, Shuffle, iPad 1, 2, 3 and 4, iPhone 3, 4 and 5, Apple TV, Mac Mini, Macbook Air). And I have to admit that Apple has lost its edge in the product releases.

Timster83
Jun 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
Why not get a Samsung, then?

:rolleyes:

Because Samsung don't offer iOS on their devices. Many of us would rather have smaller screens instead of an inferior operating system.

Koolaid74
Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 PM
Because Samsung don't offer iOS on their devices. Many of us would rather have smaller screens instead of an inferior operating system.

LOL Oh, man, Gizmodo comments section would blow up if you wrote this on there.

(My 4 month experiment with the Nexus 4 is over. I don't think I can wait until the 5S comes out for me to switch back to my 4S. Good riddance, Android. I wish you worked a little better for me. I wanted to like you so badly.)

SvenSvenson
Jun 26, 2013, 01:30 AM

I know it's because it's just a picture on a monitor, but both phones look to have a screen size of about 1.5".

They also look very, very thin - almost 2 dimensional.

Oh wait - it's because it's just a picture on a monitor.

That picture is pretty distorted (wide angle shot at a short distance, leading to weird perspective) - look at the way the 2 green 'stripes' appear to diverge, even tough they must be parallel.

Technarchy
Jun 26, 2013, 03:13 AM
LOL Oh, man, Gizmodo comments section would blow up if you wrote this on there.

(My 4 month experiment with the Nexus 4 is over. I don't think I can wait until the 5S comes out for me to switch back to my 4S. Good riddance, Android. I wish you worked a little better for me. I wanted to like you so badly.)

I'm on the fence and thinking about giving android another shot with the GS4. Though...no way in hell will I give up my iPhone 5.

It's going to be nice and ready to activate it there are too many annoying androidisms that I remember from yesteryear

j0han
Jun 26, 2013, 03:45 AM
I'm on the fence and thinking about giving android another shot with the GS4. Though...no way in hell will I give up my iPhone 5.

It's going to be nice and ready to activate it there are too many annoying androidisms that I remember from yesteryear

Dieing to get hands on a 5S and leave Android far behind, sick of S3, having 100% battery at night, when i wake up 7-8h later its down to 61%..

Sorry Apple, i'm back now! ;)

kid0
Jun 26, 2013, 05:51 AM
the only reason why I will not try anymore Samsung phones : Android.
As much as I want a little bigger screen than past iPhones , I am afraid to switch to Samsung or LG phones because the OS is just not for me. Lags, touch feedbacks are just ugh. I think iOS is so good because it limits the customizability but then the performance is so good. :rolleyes:

Four oF NINE
Jun 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
Dieing to get hands on a 5S and leave Android far behind, sick of S3, having 100% battery at night, when i wake up 7-8h later its down to 61%..

Why wouldn't you plug it in to recharge at night? This makes no sense to me. :confused:

jarden1982
Jun 26, 2013, 07:35 AM
If the iPhone 5s does indeed come out in September with the launch of IOS 7, that will give it enough time for the hype to die down some. As there are so many places that sell iPhones, I would imagine you will be able to find it somewhere. I heard they were making some different variations of the iPhone, a cheaper model for those not wanting to spend the extra cash on the 5s, and then the 5s itself. Me, personally, I would rather spend the extra money to get the actual 5s, not some cheap version of the iPhone.

----------

the only reason why I will not try anymore Samsung phones : Android.
As much as I want a little bigger screen than past iPhones , I am afraid to switch to Samsung or LG phones because the OS is just not for me. Lags, touch feedbacks are just ugh. I think iOS is so good because it limits the customizability but then the performance is so good. :rolleyes:

Take it from someone who has had several android phones, the bigger screen is great, but the bugs, the lagging, random restarts makes it not even worth it. I had an iPhone 3g years ago that worked better than any android phone I have had to date, and that is sad due to the fact of how long ago the iPhone 3g came out. I'm looking forward to the release of the 5s in September or October, smaller screen or not, the performance is what I seek over a bigger screen.

bad03xtreme
Jun 26, 2013, 07:45 AM

That's what she said. :D

Digital Skunk
Jun 26, 2013, 09:18 AM
www.apple.com/ipad-mini/

He did say 5-6 inches . . . not 7. Besides, the iPad mini makes a pretty terrible phone.

Looks bigger. Please, no.

I still don't get why some don't want to have TWO iPhone models, one for folks that like the past and loathe change, and one that's bigger for folks that embrace new technology and love to actually DO and SEE things on their phones.

You must be doing something TERRIBLY wrong. My wife's S3 has all of the antennas on and only reaches 63% by around midday on the second day. And that's if she doesn't charge it the night before.

On my Note II I get to about 60% by the end of the day with heavy usage and GPS/BT turned off when I am not using it. Now, since i actually use my phone for more than just Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter my batt doesn't last as long as when I first got it. I could get up to three days on one charge.

Why wouldn't you plug it in to recharge at night? This makes no sense to me. :confused:

Because folks just like taking cheap shots and acting foolish. Even Jobs said that about the first iPad. "Just plug it in!" said Jobs when asked what someone should do when the battery dies.

Now, I'd love to see a larger iPhone. I don't see iOS as an operating system that allows me to personalize the way I work and do things. For example: using a stylus to jot down handwritten notes, pulling up a note pad app overtop of my web browser/phone without pressing five buttons, or being able to use three apps at one time effectively.

But I might switch gears in the coming months to a Galaxy Note 8 in place of my dusty iPad (which the Note II easily replaced) and an iPhone (with a larger screen) in place of my Note II.

iThinkIt
Jun 26, 2013, 09:27 AM
Yea it almost looks wider. The one on the left that is

Bet the NSA knows....

bacaramac
Jun 26, 2013, 09:31 AM

I don't agree here, it could be very likely Apple would like to release a fresh product to go with a fresh iOS7. This could very likely be the reduced price iPhone 5 that will be announced at $99 or free when new phone (5s or 6) comes out.

Do I think iPhone will just be a 5s, Yes. Is there a chance 6 could come out, maybe.

jdoll021
Jun 26, 2013, 10:54 AM

This may have been addressed already, but I'm pretty sure it's just the angle. If you look closely at the upper speaker and proximity sensor on the left hand display, they are the same configuration as the 5 but the speaker looks more "stretched." I attribute that to angle distortion.

Also, the left hand display has a glare from the lighting over where the home button should be. If you look close enough, you can make out the home button. It is not absent, just covered by the glare. I think this photo is genuine.

On a side note, I'm surprised the person taking the picture was able to sneak in his iPhone (not sure that's what took the pic, but the frame and orientation fit). Usually any photographic items are confiscated on these new product production lines and workers are subject to searches.

dannys1
Jun 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

No, they're the same its angle, perspective and lighting reflections. Same hole on both, same screen on both sides.

----------

I still don't get why some don't want to have TWO iPhone models, one for folks that like the past and loathe change, and one that's bigger for folks that embrace new technology and love to actually DO and SEE things on their phones.

You can't do and see things on the iPhone 5, in that case there is something wrong with your eyes not the phone.

Making a bigger device is foolish, its fad because the only way these other companies can make their devices more powerful than the iPhone is to make it much bigger so they can easily fit all the extra processing in there without having to work hard on engineering it into a smaller size.

Battery life is dire on these devices and if you really want one, go and buy one (not cheap Samsung ****, get something well made like the HTC One or the Sony Xperia Z) Apple should concentrate on devices with usable screen sizes that fit properly in your pockets where I do my best to reduce bulk with minimalist wallets and never carrying change or cash, not increasing it with 5-6inch phones!!

applelover1016
Jun 26, 2013, 02:09 PM
No, they're the same its angle, perspective and lighting reflections. Same hole on both, same screen on both sides.

----------

You can't do and see things on the iPhone 5, in that case there is something wrong with your eyes not the phone.

Making a bigger device is foolish, its fad because the only way these other companies can make their devices more powerful than the iPhone is to make it much bigger so they can easily fit all the extra processing in there without having to work hard on engineering it into a smaller size.

Battery life is dire on these devices and if you really want one, go and buy one (not cheap Samsung ****, get something well made like the HTC One or the Sony Xperia Z) Apple should concentrate on devices with usable screen sizes that fit properly in your pockets where I do my best to reduce bulk with minimalist wallets and never carrying change or cash, not increasing it with 5-6inch phones!!

AMEN lol Just give me a 1080p display, better battery, ios 7 n im sold:D

otismotive77
Jun 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
eagerly waiting for this awesome phone, all i want is a better camera, nothing else.

Digital Skunk
Jun 26, 2013, 02:35 PM

Trust me, it was meant in jest . . . unlike the narrow-minded commenters I quoted.

You must be kidding right? You HAVE to be joking now.

insert smug Apple user comments here with a bunch of ****** because I am cursing and a bunch of !!!!! because I want to yell without using all caps.

AH I get it now. YOU don't want the iPhone to be bigger because it would cease being a fashion statement and start being a workaholic's dream device. Got it!

Seriously though I'd be with you on those comments but real life has shown me that nothing you said is even remotely the truth. I've tried not liking Android handsets, and yes, some suck, but most are just fine for what one may need it to do. Most of the time, as long as the device does what the end user needs it to do, like my Note II, then all else is really moot.

p.s. on a side note (pun intended), I wish my Note II was cheap. It's the most expensive phone I've ever had . . . . much more expensive than my 32GB iPhone 3GS.

blitzer09x87
Jun 26, 2013, 02:56 PM
same old thing! apple should bring up something new now! it's ridiculous to see a newly designed iOS on a "new" device using the same old design and specs.

beaniemyman
Jun 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
apple should change the iphone's design or at least they should offer more colors in the iphone.

Supermule
Jun 26, 2013, 03:22 PM
Thats a very slim new Iphone :cool:

Koolaid74
Jun 26, 2013, 03:39 PM
same old thing! apple should bring up something new now! it's ridiculous to see a newly designed iOS on a "new" device using the same old design and specs.

apple should change the iphone's design or at least they should offer more colors in the iphone.

I agree that it would be nice for them to change designs every year. I just know that nothing they have done in the past has indicated that they will break out of the current iPhone/S product cycle. Not only would it create additional pressure every year going forward(to an already high expectation demanded of them every year, as is) but any radical design change probably would not make sense business-wise.

I fell for the hype leading up to the 4S release wishing for a different design with a larger display only to be deeply disappointed. I still ended up getting the 4S, but now I know not to expect anything out of the ordinary in terms of their iPhone/S product cycle.

Specs are always bumped for every iteration of any new phone release. It's one of the most underrated things and, imo, emphasizing heavily on only the exterior design perpetuates what the tech world thinks about iOS users -- they will buy anything made by Apple purely based on their "pretty" designs.

Koolaid74
Jun 26, 2013, 03:56 PM
Instead of focusing on the exterior, I really wish that they would incorporate SWYPE-like feature to the iOS along with the ability to change default apps. In my stint with Android/Jelly Bean, those are the two things I enjoyed the most.(and I will miss them sorely when I switch back to iOS) I had been asking for an iOS UI refresh for the past few years. Imo, iOS7's update is not only too late(although welcomed), but a simple refresh of the look of the OS is not sufficient enough. They are merely updating to catch up to what Android/WebOS has been doing right aesthetically, all the while not improving the core of iOS.

I get that they don't want to fix what's not broken especially given that it is their cash cow. But at some point, Apple has to start taking risks because there are plenty of iOS users who, like me, switched to Android out of iOS-fatigue. Most of the people I know who have made the switch to Android will not be switching back to iOS as I am. I hope Apple realizes that they can't just rest on their laurels because Galaxy S/HTC One have proven that Android hardware is now legitimately challenging Apple on the hardware side in design and Android offers enough to convert people away from iOS.

olowott
Jun 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
so now anyone goes in, take pictures while in production :confused:

insider-man
Jun 26, 2013, 06:56 PM
A few things:

The belts in Foxconn are not green and neither do the workers wear all blue jackets.

Also good luck to anyone in getting a camera past the metal detectors and searches entering the production floors . . .

edseds
Jun 27, 2013, 03:37 AM
I adjusted the perspective of the original image to front view (see attachment). It seems that something is going on with the Home button.

j0han
Jun 27, 2013, 03:44 AM

A Phone shall not be using 39% battery when you not using it during night! Same issue with my work-co's S4. i blame Android ;o)

landsoyptl
Jun 27, 2013, 05:12 AM
the development is faster than iPad, have been waited for a long time for iPad...

Digital Skunk
Jun 27, 2013, 08:19 AM
A Phone shall not be using 39% battery when you not using it during night! Same issue with my work-co's S4. i blame Android ;o)

If your phone is draining that much power at night you might want to just turn it in airplane mode. It's probably out of coverage and searching, or downloading/updating apps over wifi.

Even if I unplugged my phone and had music playing the background I'd drain my Note's battery about 3%.

djra8
Jun 27, 2013, 09:42 AM
OH SWEET JESUS, AN EXTRA LED!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!......BORING... wheres my bigger screen? apple was too busy ripping off androids UI to be innovative..

D.T.
Jun 27, 2013, 11:15 AM
They're the same size (and why would just the width increase anyway, iPhones are now 16:9 ...)

Anyway, there does look like something different with the home button area. The left phone looks like it has a small slotted opening in the chin area[?] In another thread, someone had a great post about the button connector having several pins vs. the old 2 prong connector - suggesting that many pins would only be needed for some additional gesture detection. Maybe final assembly is a capacitive touch surface on the chip for home/fingerprint/swipe

In fact, someone early in this thread pointed out there almost seemed to be a lip, like the chin was slightly recessed (which I guess could indicate room for the aforementioned touch panel).

:cool:

KdParker
Jun 27, 2013, 12:04 PM
looks like iPhone 5 might be coming sooner than expected.

dannys1
Jul 3, 2013, 05:07 AM
p.s. on a side note (pun intended), I wish my Note II was cheap. It's the most expensive phone I've ever had . . . . much more expensive than my 32GB iPhone 3GS.

Oh, but it is cheap :D

Perhaps you should get that new Samsung Mega now? These phones are challenging the sizes of those bricks in the 80's!

I wonder if one day the fashion will be the opposite again, for smaller phones, I hope so. There is nothing catering for us users who want more power in a smaller, thinner device. For everything else I have an iPad mini, iPad and Laptop - never, not once, have I thought - I wish the screen I hold to my face on my phone was bigger than this!

----------

Even if I unplugged my phone and had music playing the background I'd drain my Note's battery about 3%.

Yes but the note is more comparable to the iPad mini! Its battery is almost as big!

Digital Skunk
Jul 3, 2013, 07:19 AM
Oh, but it is cheap :D

Perhaps you should get that new Samsung Mega now? These phones are challenging the sizes of those bricks in the 80's!

I wonder if one day the fashion will be the opposite again, for smaller phones, I hope so. There is nothing catering for us users who want more power in a smaller, thinner device. For everything else I have an iPad mini, iPad and Laptop - never, not once, have I thought - I wish the screen I hold to my face on my phone was bigger than this!

----------

Yes but the note is more comparable to the iPad mini! Its battery is almost as big!

All plusses I say. Instead of me having to carry around an iPad Mini, laptop, chargers, cases, keyboard cover, fat ugly stylus, etc.

I just grad the Note II.

Sadly, I get more done on my Note II than I ever did on my iPhone, iPad 2, Macbook Pro, and iMac.

The only thing the Note II can't do for me is run Avid and Adobe CS apps. I am eagerly awaiting the multimedia dock that goes with the Note. Then I'll be able to drop it into a dock, and have everything on the phone up on a 24" display via HDMI, have a BT/USB keyboard and mouse, and be able to use my phone for even more.

dannys1
Jul 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
All plusses I say. Instead of me having to carry around an iPad Mini, laptop, chargers, cases, keyboard cover, fat ugly stylus, etc.

I just grad the Note II.

Sadly, I get more done on my Note II than I ever did on my iPhone, iPad 2, Macbook Pro, and iMac.

The only thing the Note II can't do for me is run Avid and Adobe CS apps. I am eagerly awaiting the multimedia dock that goes with the Note. Then I'll be able to drop it into a dock, and have everything on the phone up on a 24" display via HDMI, have a BT/USB keyboard and mouse, and be able to use my phone for even more.

Hey, its whatever works for each individual right? If we were all the same life would be boring - what you describe to me at the end (hooking phones up via HDMI etc) is utter hell to me, but it works for you and its something you want. Ive always hated the idea that one device can do it and all "look I can play movies on my symbian phone by clicking on this ugly file name and connecting it to my tv via this cable…" urgh I always hated that. But thats not to say everyone did obviously.

The Note 2 works for you, perhaps this Mega thing might work even better? Horses for courses isn't it, you pick the tool that works best for you. I've no idea why people spend so long claiming their tool is the best when you just use the one that works for you and get on with it.

I still don't want Apple to go the large screen route though as its not a design principle I believe in, and anyway, there are countless examples of large screen phones you can already chose to use so i'm not sure why they'd need to.

----------

I adjusted the perspective of the original image to front view (see attachment). It seems that something is going on with the Home button.

Yeah its called "camera glare".

RenoG
Jul 3, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hey, its whatever works for each individual right? If we were all the same life would be boring - what you describe to me at the end (hooking phones up via HDMI etc) is utter hell to me, but it works for you and its something you want. Ive always hated the idea that one device can do it and all "look I can play movies on my symbian phone by clicking on this ugly file name and connecting it to my tv via this cable…" urgh I always hated that. But thats not to say everyone did obviously.

The Note 2 works for you, perhaps this Mega thing might work even better? Horses for courses isn't it, you pick the tool that works best for you. I've no idea why people spend so long claiming their tool is the best when you just use the one that works for you and get on with it.

I still don't want Apple to go the large screen route though as its not a design principle I believe in, and anyway, there are countless examples of large screen phones you can already chose to use so i'm not sure why they'd need to.[COLOR="#808080"]

^^^This 100%

This fussy complaint is getting sooooo old now..