PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying and selling

Centurionsc2
Jun 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hi, I am in need of a computer over the summer, preferably a mac, but would ultimately like either the updated mbp retina or zenbook infinity coming out this fall. I am curious as to how much I would lose if I bought a mba 2013 either used or new, and then sold it around the time one of the previous became available.

So basically I am asking how much do you think I will be able to sell a mba for around sept. or oct? Also, which site should I use: amazon, ebay or a different one? Any other tips or help would be greatly appreciated as well. :D

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hi, I am in need of a computer over the summer, preferably a mac, but would ultimately like either the updated mbp retina or zenbook infinity coming out this fall. I am curious as to how much I would lose if I bought a mba 2013 either used or new, and then sold it around the time one of the previous became available.

So basically I am asking how much do you think I will be able to sell a mba for around sept. or oct? Also, which site should I use: amazon, ebay or a different one? Any other tips or help would be greatly appreciated as well. :D

I'm doing the same thing. I just purchased a base 13" MBA and plan on selling it as soon as rMBP's are announced.

I'd say you'd lose around $100-200 when you sell which isn't so bad--of course depending the wear and tear of the comp.

Centurionsc2
Jun 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah I really can't see dishing out $2200 right now for the rMBP when it doesn't have the current gen processor. Any idea where you're going to sell your MBA?

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 02:22 PM
Yeah I really can't see dishing out $2200 right now for the rMBP when it doesn't have the current gen processor. Any idea where you're going to sell your MBA?

I've always had luck with selling my iPhone's locally on Craigslist so that's where I plan on listing.. I might also try Ebay (which I haven't used, yet) but I don't know exactly how I feel about the payment options that are provided; I prefer cash on the spot to be safe.

Edit: I still think the rMBP are nice, even if the processor isn't the newest and best. I'll tell you what, though, don't put the MBA and rMBP side-by-side cause you might end up leaving with the Retina! The MBA display isn't bad but there's definitely a difference.

Keep us posted with your decision.

Centurionsc2
Jun 25, 2013, 03:31 PM
Do you think it is worth it to wait for the updated rMBP at the cost of a couple hundred and the uncertainty I'll be able to sell the MBA in a reasonably timely manner?

Centurionsc2
Jun 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
Should I go for a more maxed out MBA (ie. i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd) or a more economical version? Basically which would make it more attractive to potential buyers? I personally would of course like the maxed out but will fewer people be interested when I resell because it is more money?

edit: oops, didn't mean to double post

Brandon263
Jun 25, 2013, 06:59 PM
I'm doing the same thing. I just purchased a base 13" MBA and plan on selling it as soon as rMBP's are announced.

I'd say you'd lose around $100-200 when you sell which isn't so bad--of course depending the wear and tear of the comp.

Me too! Can't wait for the fall.

----------

Should I go for a more maxed out MBA (ie. i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd) or a more economical version? Basically which would make it more attractive to potential buyers? I personally would of course like the maxed out but will fewer people be interested when I resell because it is more money?

I would just buy the base. In my experience, second-hand buyers just want a MacBook Air and are unwilling to pay for any upgrades.

----------

Do you think it is worth it to wait for the updated rMBP at the cost of a couple hundred and the uncertainty I'll be able to sell the MBA in a reasonably timely manner?

You'll definitely be able to sell the Air quite quickly; it's the most popular Apple laptop.

palpatine
Jun 25, 2013, 07:22 PM

Base model. The further you get from that, the more you will lose (in my experience). Buyers see "macbook air" and they tend to buy it based on the price. The lowest price, with the best features wins. Apple Care, gobbledygook like "8GB RAM" or "i7" mean nothing to them. LOL. I've even seen people buy an i5 over an i7 just because the seller seems more trustworthy. Check out the Amazon used computers and you'll see. The i7 stuff is generally priced really close to the i5 stuff, and if it is not, then it doesn't sell.

Obviously, there are exceptions, and you may get lucky. But, with the base you are more likely to get your money back. Now, if Apple didn't charge an arm and a leg for these upgrades, it might be a different story :)

Centurionsc2
Jun 25, 2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the timely and helpful replies, I'm new to this forum but it certainly seems better than others I've visited. =]

So just one last question, what vendor should I use to start with when I go to resell it? From what I can tell kraigslist is free, but I've heard some not too great things about them in the past and if it is a local sale there wouldn't be as broad a pool of buyers, plus I don't really want to do a sale in person (perhaps unreasonable if done in a public place etc. but it just freaks me out).

Another option is eBay, they charge a pretty substantial fee, correct? And lastly there is Amazon, seems to be the safest place as it is probably backed by Amazon, who I have great faith in. However, what is their cut?

Once again I would like to really thank everyone for being so helpful. =]

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the timely and helpful replies, I'm new to this forum but it certainly seems better than others I've visited. =]

So just one last question, what vendor should I use to start with when I go to resell it? From what I can tell kraigslist is free, but I've heard some not too great things about them in the past and if it is a local sale there wouldn't be as broad a pool of buyers, plus I don't really want to do a sale in person (perhaps unreasonable if done in a public place etc. but it just freaks me out).

Another option is eBay, they charge a pretty substantial fee, correct? And lastly there is Amazon, seems to be the safest place as it is probably backed by Amazon, who I have great faith in. However, what is their cut?

Once again I would like to really thank everyone for being so helpful. =]

Truthfully, Craigslist isn't so bad; I live in Miami and never had anybody try to take advantage of me. When posting, make sure to keep your email anonymous and create a Google Voice number where potential buyers can reach you. If you prefer buyers to text, state that in your post. Also include pictures of your item and state that you will only accept cash and all sales are final.

When "all sales are final," make it a priority to demonstrate the machine to the buyer so there won't be any issues in the future.

If you follow those basic steps, you'll be fine.

PS- you wanna do business in a public place, like a Starbucks; but this should go without saying :)

Weaselboy
Jun 26, 2013, 11:33 AM

By the time you add in Paypal fees on top of eBay fees now, I believe you end up paying about 9%. I have really backed down from selling expensive items much on eBay any more with so many scammers and eBay's tendency to almost always side with the buyer in any disputes.

I have recently used Amazon for a couple things and it went well. They don't take ant fee. You just search here (http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Trade-In/b/ref=banner_TI_CE?ie=UTF8&node=2226766011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-1&pf_rd_r=4E61114FF83948778A3B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1504083182&pf_rd_i=2242532011) for your item and they will show their offer. If you accept the offer Amazon provides you a prepaid shipping label and once the receive and inspect the item, Amazon credits your account. The downside to Amazon is they won't give you money, it an Amazon credit only.

Centurionsc2
Jun 26, 2013, 02:59 PM
For Amazon can't you sell items in their 'used' section here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00746YPQI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1372276624&sr=8-1)?
I've seen seller profiles etc. on Amazon so I thought you would have the option of selling to others through the site not to Amazon, then Amazon to buyers, or am I wrong?

Weaselboy
Jun 26, 2013, 03:15 PM
For Amazon can't you sell items in their 'used' section here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00746YPQI/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1372276624&sr=8-1)?
I've seen seller profiles etc. on Amazon so I thought you would have the option of selling to others through the site not to Amazon, then Amazon to buyers, or am I wrong?

Oh yes... I'm sorry. I thought you meant using Amazon's trade in service.