PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook Air screen flickering

Zac10
Jun 25, 2013, 09:57 PM
okey so this is the 2nd day i got my macbook air and today i installed the adobe cs6 and while scrolling down editing pictures the screens started flickering.
is there anything wrong with my settings or i just a bad air?

thanks

falconeight
Jun 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
okey so this is the 2nd day i got my macbook air and today i installed the adobe cs6 and while scrolling down editing pictures the screens started flickering.

thanks

Adobe CS6 uses a lot of ram and processor power. I don't think the macbook air is a good choice for running that program smoothly. It will run it just won't run smoothly.

Mavericks
Jun 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
I noticed that too while browsing on facebook via safari

Zac10
Jun 25, 2013, 10:10 PM
Adobe CS6 uses a lot of ram and processor power. I don't think the macbook air is a good choice for running that program smoothly. It will run it just won't run smoothly.

yeah but part of the reason i decided on air was that it will work fine with photoshop and other editing softwares.
it is pretty disappointing.

luisito
Jun 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
yeah but part of the reason i decided on air was that it will work fine with photoshop and other editing softwares.
it is pretty disappointing.

A "CS", Creative Suite will always demand much more power than an individual editing software; it is not the same thing to render an image in photoshop and render a video on CS6 and due to the staggering amount of extra tools, you definitely picked the wrong machine.

Still got time to return it and get the rMBP, make sure is the 15in; if you get the 13in rMBP will probably get worse than the MBA, since you are using a graphics intensive program which has a retina display on top of that without a graphics card powering them.

falconeight
Jun 25, 2013, 10:30 PM
A "CS", Creative Suite will always demand much more power than an individual editing software; it is not the same thing to render an image in photoshop and render a video on CS6 and due to the staggering amount of extra tools, you definitely picked the wrong machine.

Still got time to return it and get the rMBP, make sure is the 15in; if you get the 13in rMBP will probably get worse than the MBA, since you are using a graphics intensive program which has a retina display on top of that without a graphics card powering them.

I have a 13 inch rMBP and it runs cs6 fine.

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 11:12 PM

The video below, Lisa demonstrates Photoshop running on a i7 MBA just fine. I believe one of the comments below, someone was asking if DW and PS would run fine and she states that the base model might even suffice.

I guess you can take what she says with a grain of salt.

http://youtu.be/bQvJUivX-3s?t=14m13s

Zac10
Jun 25, 2013, 11:18 PM
my 3 years old sony vaio i3 with 4gb ram was fine. it wasnt as fast as air is but atleast no screen flickring.

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 11:22 PM
my 3 years old sony vaio i3 with 4gb ram was fine. it wasnt as fast as air is but atleast no screen flickring.

So, are you returning or exchanging?

----------

To be fair, when in a thread, it seems that the boxes that separate each post flicker when scrolling. If that makes any sense.:rolleyes:

Zac10
Jun 25, 2013, 11:26 PM
so theres nothing wrong with my air?

----------

So, are you returning or exchanging?

----------

To be fair, when in a thread, it seems that the boxes that separate each post flicker when scrolling. If that makes any sense.:rolleyes:
based on what you are saying i should exchange it with another one.
lets hope bestbuy has another one in stock soon.

i dnt know if i should replace it with macbook pro or just stay with air

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 11:28 PM

Not sure what to tell you.. You mentioned in OP that its only your 2nd day with it, I say give it another day, test it out with other software..

Curious, have you checked which display you're using, whether its LG or Samsung?

Zac10
Jun 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
Not sure what to tell you.. You mentioned in OP that its only your 2nd day with it, I say give it another day, test it out with other software..

Curious, have you checked which display you're using, whether its LG or Samsung?

how do you find out? this is my first apple laptop.
i doubt it would be samsung after all these court trials between the companies.

i also wanted to know how to find ram usage for different softwares.

----------

i am a premier silver member and i have 60 days to try it on :D

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 11:36 PM

----------

based on what you are saying i should exchange it with another one.
lets hope bestbuy has another one in stock soon.

i dnt know if i should replace it with macbook pro or just stay with air

In ref to my MBA, I'm not sure if its serious, though..

I wish MBA was perfect, but its not. It so desires a Retina but man, I love the slim factor. This thing is light and just perfect when it comes to traveling. I've considered exchanging but I just don't know if I wanna add the extra weight (which isn't much) with a 13" rMBP.

If I do stick with the MBA, I won't keep it for long; I plan on getting the updated rMBP when they're announced--which contradicts my previous statement, lol.. but whatever.

but again, my primary machine is a Mac mini so, MBA is fine for my needs--for now.

----------

If you don't have a primary machine, I think you're better off going rMBP.

Zac10
Jun 25, 2013, 11:37 PM
In ref to my MBA, I'm not sure if its serious, though..

I wish MBA was perfect, but its not. It so desires a Retina but man, I love the slim factor. This thing is light and just perfect when it comes to traveling. I've considered exchanging but I just don't know if I wanna add the extra weight (which isn't much) with a 13" rMBP.

If I do stick with the MBA, I won't keep it for long; I plan on getting the updated rMBP when they're announced--which contradicts my previous statement, lol.. but whatever.

but again, my primary machine is a Mac mini so, MBA is fine for my needs--for now.

----------

If you don't have a primary machine, I think you're better off going rMBP.

my battery right now is at 91% and is showing only 5 hours.

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
I can't complain about my battery. My MBA has been on since Saturday afternoon and I'm at 35% with 4:46 remaining. :cool: not too shabby.

falconeight
Jun 25, 2013, 11:42 PM
If you are going to run graphic intense software and want the air to do it flawlessly, then you need the best processor and most ram. If the screen is flickering when not using adobe then something is wrong with the unit. I did notice that when scrolling on macbook air the screen does blur a little and it might be considered flickering by some people.

butch10x
Jun 25, 2013, 11:45 PM
I've been dealing with the same issues on my mba 13" 8gb 512 new one too. I talked to a Apple rep and she concluded that since everything ran perfect on my machine other than Photoshop, it's a software issue with Adobe. I have yet to resolve this issue.

If Adobe doesn't have a answer in two days, my machine is going back since I really bought it for photo use. Even if they do figure out something, I'm most likely to going to return and wait for the new Pros. I played with both the 13 and 15 inch versions today and now my big decision is which one to get as far as size. Retina is a drug!

Here are two threads in addition to this one if you want to add to them.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5449199#5449199

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22274219#22274219

Hope this helps.

HiDEF
Jun 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
^^ In the Apple Forums, 4th post, the poster says that when upgrading to Maverick, the problem went away. Could possibly software.

butch10x
Jun 25, 2013, 11:56 PM
^^ In the Apple Forums, 4th post, the poster says that when upgrading to Maverick, the problem went away. Could possibly software.

I read that too, but I dont have access to Mavericks beta and I only have 2 days on my 14 day "trial" to decide to keep this machine.

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
I read that too, but I dont have access to Mavericks beta and I only have 2 days on my 14 day "trial" to decide to keep this machine.

If 2 days all you have and you want peace of mind, return it. You don't want to keep something without knowing what could be causing the flickering.

----------

You can also contact that poster and see if you both share the same issue. Maybe he/she can be of some sort help.

butch10x
Jun 26, 2013, 12:08 AM
If 2 days all you have and you want peace of mind, return it. You don't want to keep something without knowing what could be causing the flickering.

I agree. I was really hopeful that this MBA would be a decent photo machine. For Lightroom, it does run really good. Photoshop not running isn't gonna cut it. I should have waited for the MBP refresh anyway.

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 12:36 AM
I agree. I was really hopeful that this MBA would be a decent photo machine. For Lightroom, it does run really good. Photoshop not running isn't gonna cut it. I should have waited for the MBP refresh anyway.

You could return the MBA and get a new one but on a new transaction so you can get another 15 days. The retailer should honor that.

kave
Jun 26, 2013, 03:35 AM
Using a 2013 or 2012 MacBook Air is just fine with CS6, the performance is just fine. They are not optimized at all, except some filters in Photoshop, for using multiple threads, so barely no advantage with a MacBook pro.
There is something wrong with the graphics drivers in the 2013 models however.
When scrolling Instagram using Safari it is very jerky.
Using Chrome or Firefox is just fine.

plasticsman
Jun 26, 2013, 05:29 PM

thanks

Hi,

I experienced this problem on Photoshop CC as well. I just installed it after I saw your thread and when using brushes, etc it was having some issues. Then I got a notification that an update was available and I installed it. Seems to have fixed the problem. Can you try it?

I have the 13 inch 2013 as well. i5/8 gigs mem

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I experienced this problem on Photoshop CC as well. I just installed it after I saw your thread and when using brushes, etc it was having some issues. Then I got a notification that an update was available and I installed it. Seems to have fixed the problem. Can you try it?

Great to hear! Was the update from apple or adobe?

butch10x
Jun 26, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hi,

There any chance you can let us know what/ where this update is??

plasticsman
Jun 26, 2013, 06:23 PM
There any chance you can let us know what/ where this update is??

Sorry about not explaining. This update is for Photoshop CC which the Creative Cloud just offered me. If you don't have creative cloud I am unsure as to whether you will get the update.

butch10x
Jun 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
Sorry about not explaining. This update is for Photoshop CC which the Creative Cloud just offered me. If you don't have creative cloud I am unsure as to whether you will get the update.

Thanks for the info. I guess my machine is going back.

plasticsman
Jun 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess my machine is going back.

I don't think there is a problem with the Air. This is clearly an Adobe issue and they will most likely even fix CS 6 soon if its not out already. Have not encountered this issue in any other programs. Its a great machine.. will take more than that to make me give it up! ;)

----------

Sorry nevermind. I just relaunched it and it started doing it again :( ... very strange. Its a bit unpredictable maybe... guess we will have to complain to Adobe...

GSVAI
Jun 27, 2013, 02:51 AM

Feedback from Adobe:
"Because we haven't seen the problem, and don't have any of the affected machines. Apple needs to know which machines are affected, and possibly test those machines.

Apple does have known bugs with their cursor handling, especially in 10.8.x - but usually that just causes the cursor to disappear, and it happens in all applications.

My guess is that in this case there is a certain revision of the GPU or driver code that has this problem, and it does not affect all machines (otherwise we would have seen it ourselves).

But we cannot solve these video driver issues - as we do not have the source code to Apple's video drivers. Only Apple can debug their video drivers (or pass it on to the GPU maker)

I know it's easy to blame Adobe because the Apple bug shows up in Adobe software. But Adobe is not Apple, and Adobe cannot solve all of Apple's problems. Adobe relies on Apple's OS code working correctly, much like your car relies on a decent road to run on. And you don't call Honda to fix potholes."

Details here:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5454363#5454363

Can Apple and Adobe please work together to resolve the issue. Clearly this is not acceptable. Many of us investing in this MacBook Air to run it with CS6. Well, I should say...Apple didn't advertise that it wasn't compatible with Adobe products.

kahkityoong
Jun 27, 2013, 03:54 AM
I was able to provoke this behaviour using CS5 on my 2013 Ultimate 13" MBA with some violent brushstrokes. Not something that I would do in normal processing but it demonstrates there may be an issue.
I've posted a video of this on my website.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=463152160442512&set=vb.324069114350818&type=2&theater

butch10x
Jun 27, 2013, 10:06 AM
Feedback from Adobe:
"Because we haven't seen the problem, and don't have any of the affected machines. Apple needs to know which machines are affected, and possibly test those machines.

Apple does have known bugs with their cursor handling, especially in 10.8.x - but usually that just causes the cursor to disappear, and it happens in all applications.

My guess is that in this case there is a certain revision of the GPU or driver code that has this problem, and it does not affect all machines (otherwise we would have seen it ourselves).

But we cannot solve these video driver issues - as we do not have the source code to Apple's video drivers. Only Apple can debug their video drivers (or pass it on to the GPU maker)

I know it's easy to blame Adobe because the Apple bug shows up in Adobe software. But Adobe is not Apple, and Adobe cannot solve all of Apple's problems. Adobe relies on Apple's OS code working correctly, much like your car relies on a decent road to run on. And you don't call Honda to fix potholes."

Details here:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5454363#5454363

Can Apple and Adobe please work together to resolve the issue. Clearly this is not acceptable. Many of us investing in this MacBook Air to run it with CS6. Well, I should say...Apple didn't advertise that it wasn't compatible with Adobe products.

Seems like both Adobe and Apple are pointing their fingers at each other. No he did, No he did it.....

Thanks for the post though. It does solidify my decision to return my MBA and wait for an almost the same weight, more color correct, more powerful cpu, but not as long lasting battery, awesome ass retina screen, but does cost more...... 13" rMBP.

scaredpoet
Jun 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the post though. It does solidify my decision to return my MBA and wait for an almost the same weight, more color correct, more powerful cpu, but not as long lasting battery, awesome ass retina screen, but does cost more...... 13" rMBP.

... and unless the problem is identified and resolved by then, will likely have the exact same issues with Adobe software.

Kuipo
Jun 28, 2013, 04:31 PM
This isn't an Adobe only thing.. I have nothing installed from Adobe and when I boot up VMWare to run Windows 7 I get this kinda flickering. I assume it's a driver issue with the graphics card or something firmware related to the new MacBook Air's.

mattferg
Jun 28, 2013, 06:56 PM
I just tried to replicate what everyone else is doing, i5/8GB/128 2013 here, CS6. I can't replicate the issue, no screen flickering whatsoever.

Guess it is a hardware thing?

plasticsman
Jun 28, 2013, 07:28 PM
I just tried to replicate what everyone else is doing, i5/8GB/128 2013 here, CS6. I can't replicate the issue, no screen flickering whatsoever.

Guess it is a hardware thing?

Some of said that sometimes it is not consistent. Try restarting the machine and photoshop. Set the brush sizes really large.. over 300 px and mess around with different hardness settings for it. If it doesn't happen to you.. I guess you are lucky. ;)

mattferg
Jun 28, 2013, 07:50 PM
Some of said that sometimes it is not consistent. Try restarting the machine and photoshop. Set the brush sizes really large.. over 300 px and mess around with different hardness settings for it. If it doesn't happen to you.. I guess you are lucky. ;)

Tried all of this, tried everything, nothing :)

dlbmacfan
Jun 29, 2013, 09:02 AM
I'm having the same problem on my Haswell MBA. Using a large brush or zooming in to greater than 500% causes the problem to occur. An interesting thing happened yesterday; I was trying to use ScreenFlow to capture a video of the problem; even though I could see the flickering on the screen, there was no flickering on the ScreenFlow capture. Does that help pinpoint the source of the problem?

pickaxe
Jun 29, 2013, 10:00 AM

I'm just going to quote this. I understand that you have this urge to post 30 messages a day but please don't comment on subjects that you have no clue about.

ValSalva
Jun 29, 2013, 10:35 AM
I've only seen this mentioned with 13" Haswell MBA. I assume this must occur with the 11" Haswell one too, right?

kahkityoong
Jun 29, 2013, 10:40 AM
I'm just going to quote this. I understand that you have this urge to post 30 messages a day but please don't comment on subjects that you have no clue about.

I see you have noticed his penchant for gaffes.

falconeight
Jun 29, 2013, 10:54 AM

I think the is a personally attack. Its true the mac air runs adobe terribly. Do you really follow people that closely?

pickaxe
Jun 29, 2013, 11:39 AM
I think the is a personally attack. Its true the mac air runs adobe terribly. Do you really follow people that closely?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be mean... But you are giving false advice. Photo manipulation is by no means a difficult task for a mobile processor. The reason for the flicker is a Photoshop issue with Haswell that has already been posted several times in Adobe's forums.

falconeight
Jun 29, 2013, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I'm not trying to be mean... But you are giving false advice. Photo manipulation is by no means a difficult task for a mobile processor. The reason for the flicker is a Photoshop issue with Haswell that has already been posted several times in Adobe's forums.

It is on the 2013 macbook air.

mattferg
Jun 29, 2013, 12:47 PM

If it's a photoshop issue with Haswell, why are only certain units showing the aforementioned problem? I've tried all sorts of stuff and my machine is fine, sounds like a production issue.

EDIT: Just tried it now, first time ever, I have the issue :( looks driver related, hopefully Apple/Intel'll fix it soon

GSVAI
Jun 29, 2013, 06:20 PM
I'm having the same problem on my Haswell MBA. Using a large brush or zooming in to greater than 500% causes the problem to occur. An interesting thing happened yesterday; I was trying to use ScreenFlow to capture a video of the problem; even though I could see the flickering on the screen, there was no flickering on the ScreenFlow capture. Does that help pinpoint the source of the problem?

I was trying the same, capturing a screen video using "Jing" capture. As soon as Jing was active doing the video capture the flickering stopped.

dlbmacfan
Jun 29, 2013, 08:54 PM
I was trying the same, capturing a screen video using "Jing" capture. As soon as Jing was active doing the video capture the flickering stopped.

My situation was a little different. I could see the flickering on the computer screen while I was recording. But I couldn't see the flickering when playing back the video capture.

Chatran
Jun 29, 2013, 11:01 PM
I want to ask if you set to a lower resolution, will it behave the same? And what about if it connects to an external monitor?

Thanks

mayuka
Jun 30, 2013, 01:26 AM
It is on the 2013 macbook air.

I tested this on my 2012 MBA. No issues with Photoshop CS 6. Maybe they were some faulty 2012 machines as well and nobody noticed so far. My 2013 MBA is scheduled to arrive in about a week. Hopefully it won't have the problems. It still is not clear to me, whether this is just a software bug that can be corrected or a real HD 5000 fault.

akdj
Jun 30, 2013, 01:56 AM

Looks as though I was beat to the punch...you're wrong. CS6 works well on the MBA, just fine. I use CS6---PS, Premier, Prelude and even play with After Effects and In Design often. Photoshop and Lightroom work excellent on my core i7 2011 MBA. It's a software issue...and most likely on Adobe's end with the new Haswell and/or Intel 5000 GPU.

J

falconeight
Jun 30, 2013, 11:35 AM
Looks as though I was beat to the punch...you're wrong. CS6 works well on the MBA, just fine. I use CS6---PS, Premier, Prelude and even play with After Effects and In Design often. Photoshop and Lightroom work excellent on my core i7 2011 MBA. It's a software issue...and most likely on Adobe's end with the new Haswell and/or Intel 5000 GPU.

J

It worked fine on my 2012 macbook air. It did run badly on my 2013. It was one of the reasons I returned it.

toypadlock
Jul 1, 2013, 05:44 AM
I had the Photoshop flickering issues (it was my machine and youtube video featured in the MacRumors news post).

Received my replacement from Apple today (took a while because it was a BTO) and I can't replicate the issue anymore, indicating that it's an issue with only some machines.

Also, for what it's worth (and I really don't want to reignite this debate), the defective model had an LG screen and the new one has a Samsung. It might well be nothing to do with that however!

Zac10
Jul 4, 2013, 10:09 PM
so i replaced my macbook
screen is still flickering but battery life is much better then the last one
now im hoping that the upgrade to maverick will fix the flickring issue.

alexrmc92
Jul 4, 2013, 11:36 PM
The only way i could replicate this issue was by creating a 100 inch x 100 inch new white file and painting with a 3000px black brush, quite annoying.

I cannot replicate any flickering in windows 7, this must be a software issue.

Stealth777
Jul 5, 2013, 12:59 AM

I have 2013 Air and 13" retina. Retina runs CS6 flawlessly. The Air has major screen flickering issues in PS. It's a known issue. Have had two Airs now with this problem. I'm hoping there is a software fix from apple as I believe their graphics driver is buggy.

ylrd
Jul 5, 2013, 03:47 AM
The only way i could replicate this issue was by creating a 100 inch x 100 inch new white file and painting with a 3000px black brush, quite annoying.

I cannot replicate any flickering in windows 7, this must be a software issue.

Nothing happened with the 3000px black brush but there was flickering with a 5000px one. Quite annoying indeed, but I doubt I'll ever use such tremendous canvas/brush sizes. Haven't noticed flickering anywhere else (iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, VLC).

daviddth
Jul 5, 2013, 04:03 AM
Nothing happened with the 3000px black brush but there was flickering with a 5000px one. Quite annoying indeed, but I doubt I'll ever use such tremendous canvas/brush sizes. Haven't noticed flickering anywhere else (iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, VLC).

I did too, then did the update from Adobe and no longer have the issue. I believe it is the MacBook issue as the same thing, without the update, worked fine on my 2011 Air with no issues at all.

ylrd
Jul 5, 2013, 04:41 AM
I did too, then did the update from Adobe and no longer have the issue. I believe it is the MacBook issue as the same thing, without the update, worked fine on my 2011 Air with no issues at all.

It still happens to me, even though my software is up-to-date:

http://d.pr/i/ZWhD+

daviddth
Jul 5, 2013, 05:44 AM

Bummer. I only updated Photoshop and camera Raw, not the rest just in case things went bad.

mattferg
Jul 5, 2013, 07:19 PM
I heard Mavericks fixed this, is it true?

kahkityoong
Jul 5, 2013, 07:54 PM

Image (http://d.pr/i/ZWhD+)

Same problem. I'm returning my MBA today.

ylrd
Jul 6, 2013, 03:41 AM
Same problem. I'm returning my MBA today.

Are you sure about that? I've read the upcoming 10.8.5 update fixes this, as well as Mavericks.

I've thought about returning it too, but I don't wanna wait another three weeks since it's a custom model.

kahkityoong
Jul 6, 2013, 04:04 AM
Are you sure about that? I've read the upcoming 10.8.5 update fixes this, as well as Mavericks.

I've thought about returning it too, but I don't wanna wait another three weeks since it's a custom model.

Mavericks is not out. There is no guarantee there will be a fix with 10.8.5 . And the ultimate configuration is available at my Apple store. If I don't return it now, it will be out of the 14 day return period.

They offered me a swap and I am yet to be able to reproduce the flickering with the new MBA.

Zac10
Jul 6, 2013, 11:29 AM
I have bestbuy's 60 days return
Maverick better fix this issue
Or i am returning mine for good

ylrd
Jul 17, 2013, 02:29 PM
I received my replacement today and the issue is still there, despite it's Photoshop's latest version (updates included).

I'm gonna return it and ask for a refund :( as sad as it is, I can't afford to wait until Apple/Adobe decide to fix this. I rely on Photoshop.

I'm so disappointed...