PDA

View Full Version : Can't choose 17 inch or 20 inch iMac.

nsknike
Nov 7, 2005, 09:59 PM
Right now I have the money for the 17 inch and can have the money for the 20 inch in about a couple weeks, but the only thing that is stopping me from being 100% about the 20 inch is does the .2 Ghz make that big of a difference? I will be encoding a lot of movies on this. And is the screen resolution a big difference? Is it basically like having a pc set to 1600 by 1200? Thanks in advance.

dansgil
Nov 7, 2005, 10:03 PM
Right now I have the money for the 17 inch and can have the money for the 20 inch in about a couple weeks, but the only thing that is stopping me from being 100% about the 20 inch is does the .2 Ghz make that big of a difference? I will be encoding a lot of movies on this. And is the screen resolution a big difference? Is it basically like having a pc set to 1600 by 1200? Thanks in advance.

For me, the 20" size is a must. Also, the screen on the 20" is a lot better. It is brighter, bigger, sharper and has a better viewing angle. The 20" also has a bigger HD and faster Video Card. I don't the the 200Mhz makes too much of a difference, though.

Hope this helps!

-DG

nsknike
Nov 7, 2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks, this will be mostly for my g-ma. But seeing as I no longer have a desktop, I will be using it a lot anyways so I can justify the extra $400 if I'm going to be using it also. Thanks

crazyeyes
Nov 7, 2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah i say go for the 20" as well. I love mine and i was wondering the same thing and i went for the 20" cause i am planning on doing some photography on it eventually. I also use it as my means for watching DVD's.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 7, 2005, 10:25 PM
20" all the way, the screen size will make a significant difference. I just bought my wife a 20" several months ago and I love it - after visiting the apple store over the weekend and seeing the 17", I can't even imagine wanting to buy one.

Have you stood in front of both of them yet? If you're still not sure about what to get, you should go look at them both and see for yourself.

D

nsknike
Nov 7, 2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah they only have the 17 inch on our campus store. But my tv screen is 23 inches so I can tell there is a differnce

milky23
Nov 7, 2005, 11:19 PM
For me, the added resolution of 1680x1050 is well worth it, as is the upgraded video card and extra 200mhz.

With the 17", you will be getting a resolution of 1280x1024. Is that enough for your needs? As for me, I do pretty heavy Photoshop work where that extra resolution comes in mighty handily.

It's your call. Just make the decision based on your needs and perhaps in consideration of your potential future needs.

minimac
Nov 8, 2005, 03:00 PM
For me, the added resolution of 1680x1050 is well worth it, as is the upgraded video card and extra 200mhz.

With the 17", you will be getting a resolution of 1280x1024. Is that enough for your needs? As for me, I do pretty heavy Photoshop work where that extra resolution comes in mighty handily.

It's your call. Just make the decision based on your needs and perhaps in consideration of your potential future needs.

Actually the 17" is 1440x900. It's fine for me and I wouldn't want anything bigger on my desk. My mom has a 20" and it's great, she does lots of work with photos and enjoys the extra space.