PDA

View Full Version : AirPlay Mirroring Question

creationtwenty2
Jun 26, 2013, 04:30 AM
I'm just reading about this OUYA console and the first thing I thought about was it's potential as an all-in-one emulation box, which, connected to the TV sounds pretty awesome.

Then I considered the possibility of a similar result using Apple TV. Now, I want to get some sort of streaming device anyway, and I'd prefer to get the ATV, so I'm wondering if the following is possible;

Run NES/SNES/Whatever emulator on Mac
Use wireless PS3 gamepad or similar to control
Mirror Mac to TV via ATV AirPlay

Would that work? I've never used AirPlay mirroring so no idea how it works.

Thanks

FreakinEurekan
Jun 26, 2013, 07:12 AM
It would work, but it's not ideal. The problem is latency. AirPlay mirroring has a little lag behind the computer that doesn't cause problems with watching a video or casual computer usage, but could be difficult to deal with on games.

creationtwenty2
Jun 26, 2013, 08:47 AM
Ah, that changes things, then. I hadn't considered lag.

I guess I'll try it out, as I said, I'm keen to get an ATV anyway for the music/video so I can give it a shot when I get it.

herdnerfer
Jul 2, 2013, 07:59 PM
I've done something similar to this.

I have a Jailbroken iPad that i run an SNES & GBA emulator on. I bluetooth a Wii remote & use airplay mirroring to put it on my TV.

There is a definite lag time, probably about half a second that makes alot of fast action games unplayable. Mario for instance where timing jumps is very important. But other slower games work good enough.