PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with me? Two weeks with 11" and 13" and can't decide which to keep!

sofakng
Jun 26, 2013, 10:05 AM
Perhaps I'm a bad person, but I just couldn't decide in the store between the 11" and 13" models so I decided to purchase both of them and test them extensively at home.

After two works, I'm leaning towards the 11" but I can't decide.

The primary purpose of the laptop is to use as an iPad replacement while I'm on the couch. This means playing indie (light) PC games and browsing the web, etc.

The secondary purpose is to bring to work and watch videos (16:9 ratio is really nice on the 11") during lunch. I might also use it to take notes during meetings but I'm not sure.

When I'm looking at them side-by-side, the 13" looks nice and big and it makes the 11" look small, but carrying the 11" around the house is so much easier and doesn't feel any bigger than a writing pad, etc. When I'm on the couch, the 11" is a bit easier to use as well since I can move it around as needed, etc.

My other option is to just stick to my iPad since it's great for gaming but then I can't play the indie/light PC games, and any odd-ball video I want to watch requires re-encoding for the iPad, plus the iPad has such limited space. (yes, this is a first world "problem" and I know a lot of people would kill to have to deal with this)

Kevbodian
Jun 26, 2013, 10:08 AM
It sounds like you've made a choice you probably won't have a problem living with.

You could keep both and sell the ipad, couch, some blood and a kid to make up for the cost?

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 10:08 AM
I wounder between the two which resells quicker..? Maybe you should decide after researching.

wermy
Jun 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
From your post it sounds like you prefer the 11". You didn't have anything to say about the 13" other than that it makes the 11" look small (which isn't necessarily a point in favor of the 13").
I've got the 11" here, and I think it's the perfect size. :)

falconeight
Jun 26, 2013, 10:48 AM
IF its that close go with the cheaper version.

JMountainDew
Jun 26, 2013, 10:55 AM
For me, there is plenty of screen real estate on the 11" for most normal tasks, plus the portability is outstanding.

And, as a few others have already posted, it seems that you have already made your decision on the 11". :)

Mrbobb
Jun 26, 2013, 03:11 PM
From your post it sounds like you prefer the 11". You didn't have anything to say about the 13" other than that it makes the 11" look small (which isn't necessarily a point in favor of the 13").
I've got the 11" here, and I think it's the perfect size. :)

^+1

That's what I read too. 11" it is.

Marinia
Jun 26, 2013, 04:15 PM
Does the 11" have a full size keyboard or is it shrunken?

racer1441
Jun 26, 2013, 06:34 PM
Did the same thing here. Basically wanted to demo both with the new chip sets.

I'm just going to keep both.

JMountainDew
Jun 26, 2013, 06:44 PM
Does the 11" have a full size keyboard or is it shrunken?

Yes, it has a full-sized, backlit keyboard.

Booji
Jun 27, 2013, 05:26 PM
Its really tough. My first MBA was a 2010 11". Went to the 13" in 2011 and really missed the 11". Just received my new 2013 11" and loving the portability. I travel a lot and the smaller size makes a huge difference when working on the airplane.

They are both great and have subtle tradeoffs. Sounds like the 11" is better for you.

NewbieCanada
Jun 27, 2013, 05:38 PM
I have a 2012 11" and a 2013 13" arriving tomorrow morning. I like the 16:10 ratio on the non-11 and higher resolution. I have to see if the size and weight differential matters or not. I tend to use the 11 both on the sofa and in bed , so the 13 might be too big.

errol
Jun 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
Go with the 11." IMHO this is where the air really shines. The 13" is too close to the price point of the rMBP 13" which is also a small laptop.

Fattytail
Jun 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
The problem I always had with the 11 is that the screen is just too darn small. It was convenient to bring with me on the couch, but I had to squint to read whatever was on the screen. And it just got to the point where I really preferred not to use it unless I had an external monitor as well.

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 03:19 AM
Perhaps I'm a bad person, but I just couldn't decide in the store between the 11" and 13" models so I decided to purchase both of them and test them extensively at home.

You're a typical MR member. Can't make a decision and start a thread to ask strangers on the Internet to tell you what to do.

DisplacedMic
Jun 28, 2013, 03:46 AM
You could keep both and sell the ipad, couch, some blood and a kid to make up for the cost?

but then he'd just be a kng with no kngdom.

pickaxe
Jun 28, 2013, 03:54 AM
You're a typical MR member. Can't make a decision and start a thread to ask strangers on the Internet to tell you what to do.

That's not just a MacRumors issue. This is a general problem of tech enthusiasts in the internet age.

ritmomundo
Jun 28, 2013, 03:54 AM
11 inch. Bigger isn't always better. ;) Problem solved. Next!

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 04:59 AM
That's not just a MacRumors issue. This is a general problem of tech enthusiasts in the internet age.
Speak for yourself. :D

davideotape
Jun 28, 2013, 06:03 AM
i said it before, i really don't understand the mba 13" at all-- the footprint is actually larger than a retina mbp, prior to this update the battery difference seemed negligible, and if you buy refurbished, it even seems cheaper for more speed:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE662LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

that one's faster, has a better screen, a smaller footprint, essentially the same price as the 8g i5, and cheaper than the i7. just seems like a better value overall.

the only benefits to the 13" air i can possibly see are weight and now battery life.

the 11" i get-- it's the smallest macbook by a longshot, the cheapest portable, and powerful enough to do pretty much whatever you want on the go. i'm amazed by it so far.

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 06:20 AM
the only benefits to the 13" air i can possibly see are weight and now battery life.
Um, wouldn't weight and battery life be two of the top criteria people look for in a laptop? :confused:

trondah
Jun 28, 2013, 06:22 AM
I'm an 11" fan. Used to have 13" before but now it just seems huge to me, never going back.

ZoomOut
Jun 28, 2013, 06:38 AM
I'm an 11" fan. Used to have 13" before but now it just seems huge to me, never going back.

Never say never ... Older eyes = bigger screens ;)

davideotape
Jun 28, 2013, 06:55 AM
Um, wouldn't weight and battery life be two of the top criteria people look for in a laptop? :confused:

i look at that, but i also look at the other stuff i wrote just above what you quoted. footprint, power, and screen. and its not like battery and weight differences are incredibly dramatic- especially the weight :more confused:

jmoore5196
Jun 28, 2013, 07:24 AM
I've owned both, and I admit I do miss the 13" MBA's SD card slot from time to time. But I've stuck with my 2012 11" - and a 2011 11" before that - because of the portability advantage.

Admittedly, I enjoyed the 11" more before TSA, in violation of its own rules, started making me remove it from my bag during screening. Now that I'm treated the same as the guy behind me with the 17" Dell, the 11" does lose a bit of its allure.

Every time I pick up my wife's 13" MBA, however, I'm struck by the rather significant difference in both footprint and weight. My honest thought is that a portable computer should be both small and capable. The 11" fills that bill nicely for me.

I will probably upgrade to the 2013 version at some point because I do enough heavy lifting with my 11" MBA to make good use of the longer battery life, faster SSD and improved GPU. Otherwise, I'm content with the machine I have ... it's pretty close to being the perfect portable computer.

Isamilis
Jun 28, 2013, 07:47 AM
If you don't have to work with numbers or detail editing then go with 11". Otherwise go with 13".

Dr Charter
Jun 28, 2013, 08:55 AM
I've had both and much prefer the 11". An 11" Air + a nice monitor for the home office is a great setup.

SMDBill
Jun 28, 2013, 10:20 AM
OP, sounds like you already prefer the 11" for several reasons. Save the money difference and just go enjoy. The only wrong way to go would be if you returned one that would not meet your requirements. If they both do, you've already decided.

Rossatron
Jun 28, 2013, 12:17 PM

Well, what else can you do? :o

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 03:35 PM
Well, what else can you do? :o
Research and make your own decision?

Fattytail
Jun 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
Research and make your own decision?

Because there's something wrong with asking others for their opinions?

JMountainDew
Jun 28, 2013, 04:04 PM

That's part of the enjoyment of MacRumors Forums, isn't it? Bouncing ideas and opinions and experiences off one another?

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 05:01 PM

Where did I say there was something wrong with asking others for their opinions? :rolleyes:

Since no one uses an MBA/laptop/desktop like I do or has the same requirements I do, others opinions about how they use the same technology and what they bought and why, are not wrong, just of very limited value. Not really complicated.

----------

That's part of the enjoyment of MacRumors Forums, isn't it? Bouncing ideas and opinions and experiences off one another?

This thread is not about ideas. It's about one person's ability, or lack thereof, to make a decision. It's a simple process to list your own requirements, in priority order, compare them against the features of the MBA11 and MBA13 and make a decision.

davideotape
Jun 28, 2013, 06:15 PM
sortve related to this thread and probably others too- does this forum have ignore functionality?