PDA

View Full Version : General AppleTV question

rhcreed
Jun 26, 2013, 10:11 AM
Questions regarding an AppleTV from someone who owns ZERO apple hardware, never have (not a hater though). I'm considering dumping cable and going with this device for access to netflix/hulu/iTunes to replace the content.

1 - do I need an iPad/iPod/Mac to use this?
2 - is a pc of any kind required to use any features?
3 - are there options for CBS prime time shows?
4 - does the DisneyJr app (for iPod/iPad) work?
5 - can I use the iTunes store? (for tv shows, movies)
6 - can I redeem digital copy codes (that come with bluray purchases) that are iTunes compatible?

Thanks, don't want to buy this and find out I can't use it.

anything you can offer is appreciated..

marzer
Jun 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
Questions regarding an AppleTV from someone who owns ZERO apple hardware, never have (not a hater though). I'm considering dumping cable and going with this device for access to netflix/hulu/iTunes to replace the content.

1 - do I need an iPad/iPod/Mac to use this?
2 - is a pc of any kind required to use any features?
3 - are there options for CBS prime time shows?
4 - does the DisneyJr app (for iPod/iPad) work?
5 - can I use the iTunes store? (for tv shows, movies)
6 - can I redeem digital copy codes (that come with bluray purchases) that are iTunes compatible?

Thanks, don't want to buy this and find out I can't use it.

anything you can offer is appreciated..

1. No
2. No, examples - Internet Radio and Youtube can be used right out of the box
3. If so, it would be through Hulu Plus
4. Yes, using the Airplay feature
5. Yes, and for music
6. Yes, from an iOS device or iTunes client on a computer (exception to #2)

You don't need a computer to use many of the content apps of the Apple TV, but you would need web/iTunes access (computer or mobile device) to do some transactions like create an iTunes (or other content provider) account. Or, as mentioned, redeeming store codes.

rhcreed
Jun 26, 2013, 10:30 AM
thanks,

so for #4, it won't run on the Apple Tv itself?

waw74
Jun 26, 2013, 10:32 AM
if you're not invested in the apple ecosystem, a roku (http://www.roku.com/) is a pretty good alternative.

it has more channels (or apps) available.
although with the new additions to the aTV (HBOgo and such) the aTV is becoming better equipped.

with the roku you would loose out on the iTunes store though

---
thanks,

no

Panch0
Jun 26, 2013, 10:36 AM
1) No, no other iDevice is required, although AirPlay streaming and the Remote App can improve the experience somewhat.
2) A pc (Mac or Windows) actively running iTunes is required to play any local content, however most content including previously purchased TV Shows and Movies can be streamed directly from the iTunes Store. For Music, You probably need to pay the $25/year for iTunes Match to get this streaming. Not really sure as I was bought in before it was avau=ilable on ATV.
3) For CBS, I think your only option is buying through iTunes Store. it is different from show to show, even within each network - example, prior seasons of Two and a half men (CBS) is available on Netflix but Big Bang Theory (also CBS) is not.
4) no idea, but you would have to have an iPad/iPhone in any case. Not all apps play nicely with Airplay.
5) For TV and Movies yes. Not sure about music anymore as I haven't tried it in a while. I think it is all iTunes Match now, but I have just be ignoring a menu...
6) I'm not sure as I've never tried it, but I think that you have to do that through iTunes on a computer or another iDevice. However, once redeemed, the content should be accessible through ATV, either through Home Sharing or direct streaming from iTunes Store - see #2.

rhcreed
Jun 26, 2013, 10:39 AM
Funny you should mention that, I planned on getting one of those as well.

I have a google tv box now, I was planning to add a roku and an apple tv. between those 3, I should have everything I need. What I can't find to stream I can buy from iTunes.

I'm also trying to move away from torrenting things, so the more legit options there are, the better!!

GarrettL1979
Jun 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
I didn't think the DisneyJr app allowed airplay, but maybe I'm wrong.

dugbug
Jun 28, 2013, 09:07 AM
thanks,

No. The only native channels on the Apple TV are:

iTunes store, home itunes sharing
netflix, hulu plus, hbo2go
youtube, vimeo, flickr
espn, nba, mlb, nhl
skynews, wsj
qello
crunchyroll
movie trailers
internet radio streaming

If you have a PC or mac somewhere you are not using you can stick plex + the appletv plexconnect on it. Then you have hundreds of channels including disneyJr that show up on your apple tv. This is done by selecting the movie trailers channel, and it opens up to your plex channels. Plex stuff all uses the native apple tv GUI and menuing system, so it is quite consistent.

There are currently lots of issues with channel compatibility and plexconnect so consider this a bonus and not something you expect from your purchase.

Easiest way would be to just watch disneytv from a mac or pc and airplay it full screen to the apple tv.

Irishman
Jun 29, 2013, 09:33 AM
No. The only native channels on the Apple TV are:

iTunes store, home itunes sharing
netflix, hulu plus, hbo2go
youtube, vimeo, flickr
espn, nba, mlb, nhl
skynews, wsj
qello
crunchyroll
movie trailers
internet radio streaming

If you have a PC or mac somewhere you are not using you can stick plex + the appletv plexconnect on it. Then you have hundreds of channels including disneyJr that show up on your apple tv. This is done by selecting the movie trailers channel, and it opens up to your plex channels. Plex stuff all uses the native apple tv GUI and menuing system, so it is quite consistent.

There are currently lots of issues with channel compatibility and plexconnect so consider this a bonus and not something you expect from your purchase.

Easiest way would be to just watch disneytv from a mac or pc and airplay it full screen to the apple tv.

You left out podcasts, which I use daily to catch up on TWiT and Revision3 shows.