PDA

View Full Version : My 5th replacement of 2013 Air. Still got some problem!

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 02:28 PM
Hi guys. I have exchanged 5 units already. And still having problems with my new air.
QC is really really bad. I paid so much money for that Coz its the top model of 13" air i7 8gb ram 512ssd. I expected a 99.99% perfect machine. But after what i've been through, I m just tired of this lottery game. Just wanna get some opinions from you guys if i should take it back again.
Thz a lot!

1: Nicks at the bottom corner, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

2: Apple logo was bent, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

3: dead pixel, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

4: Scratches next to trackpad and next to the hinge, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

5: Everything seems to be fine but light leakage at the bottom. Specially left bottom

wermy
Jun 26, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hi guys. I have exchanged 5 units already. And still having problems with my new air.
QC is really really bad. I paid so much money for that Coz its the top model of 13" air i7 8gb ram 512ssd. I expected a 99.99% perfect machine. But after what i've been through, I m just tired of this lottery game. Just wanna get some opinions from you guys if i should take it back again.
Thz a lot!

1: Nicks at the bottom corner, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

2: Apple logo was bent, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

4: Scratches next to trackpad and next to the hinge, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

5: Everything seems to be fine but light leakage at the bottom. Specially left bottom

What does "Magic mirror screen" mean? To me it sounds like you're being awfully picky, to be honest, but I didn't see the actual units so who knows. Light bleed seems to be on all 5 of your machines so maybe your standards for that are a little high? :)

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
Extremely odd that all 5 replacements have an issue.

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 02:44 PM
What does "Magic mirror screen" mean? To me it sounds like you're being awfully picky, to be honest, but I didn't see the actual units so who knows. Light bleed seems to be on all 5 of your machines so maybe your standards for that are a little high? :)

You know distorting mirror? when you look at the screen your face look twist.
the light leakage on previous 4 look good coz its evenly spread.
But this one its actually more light leak on the left bottom.

----------

yea man. Apple QC used to be real good.
but now its awful.:(

DoctorK4
Jun 26, 2013, 02:45 PM

Nope.

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 02:47 PM

----------

Nope.

Flat screen supposed to be flat rite?
But the screen looks a bit curved

DoctorK4
Jun 26, 2013, 02:48 PM

What kind of tolerance are you expecting?

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 02:51 PM
What kind of tolerance are you expecting?

For a $2000 machine.
I expect it to be flawless. like the one i have now.
And also screen with no light leakage!
But still i got bad light leakage on this one

r6mile
Jun 26, 2013, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but it sounds to me like you're making this up. I literally just unboxed the unit, and I am incredibly pleased.

DoctorK4
Jun 26, 2013, 02:53 PM
For a $2000 machine.
I expect it to be flawless. like the one i have now.
And also screen with no light leakage!

I think your expectation of the degree of manufacturing precision in a consumer product may be unrealistic.

iMarvin
Jun 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
Depending on how big the nicks were on the first one, i probably would of kept that. The "magic mirror screen" (:p) shouldn't be a problem because your not looking on the glass, but on the lcd panel behind it. It sounds to me that you are very picky, but i don't blame you. Just bear in mind that it won't stay perfect forever even if you get one that is spotless. :)

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sorry, but it sounds to me like you're making this up. I literally just unboxed the unit, and I am incredibly pleased.

look at my previous post before you say anything else
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1599917

ritmomundo
Jun 26, 2013, 02:59 PM
Thz a lot!

I think the "magic mirror screen" is normal, because there's no glass overlay like in MacBook Pros.

Also, all 5 units have light leakage? You should post a picture so we can see it, but is it possible thats normal as well?

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:00 PM
Depending on how big the nicks were on the first one, i probably would of kept that. The "magic mirror screen" (:p) shouldn't be a problem because your not looking on the glass, but on the lcd panel behind it. It sounds to me that you are very picky, but i don't blame you. Just bear in mind that it won't stay perfect forever even if you get one that is spotless. :)

I know i m picky coz i expect a better machine since it cost nearly $2000.
But the magic mirror thing annoys me when i m working in a bright environment. coz i see myself twisting all the time. I can't see any other brands has this kinda screen problems. and they are a lot cheaper

Mrbobb
Jun 26, 2013, 03:00 PM
Buy something else.

sostoobad
Jun 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
5 units !:eek:wow, what do the people at Apple say ? are they in agreement with you that something is a miss? this is mighty odd, I have a 13" air 2012, no issues and it was a refurb.

xlii
If I were you I would take #5 back, ask for a refund... and buy a DELL.

ritmomundo
But the magic mirror thing annoys me when i m working in a bright environment. coz i see myself twisting all the time. I can't see any other brands has this kinda screen problems. and they are a lot cheaper

For the price, I would get a rMBP. Plus, you'll have the glass over the screen, eliminating the "magic mirror screen" problem you're having.

GoCubsGo

This.
The first issue listed in this thread was "enhanced" because his only issue with his first machine was a "missing corner" which was a knick by the hinge (he said hitch but there is no hitch). The fact was that the knick was so small that he had to take a high res photo and still, the first responders of the post had to really look for what he was on about.

I don't know about this so-called drama of a magic mirror, but I believe it is time for the Apple store to refund his money and he can buy his machine elsewhere. I would put a flag on his account for excessive returns for less than minor issues.

jedolley
Jun 26, 2013, 03:02 PM

I have 20/15 vision and I still had to zoom in to see what you were referring to... Not sure I would have even noticed in person.

Are you sure you don't have the Photobooth app running? :D

As for Apple's "QC", the only issue I had was with the original iPad. Every other product I have purchased since then (2011 27" iMac, 15" rMBP, iPad 2, iPad Mini, 2012 27" iMac, and now the 2013 13" MBA) have exceeded my standards.

b3av3r
Jun 26, 2013, 03:04 PM

I wish you had taken pics of this "magic mirror screen". I have never heard of this problem before and am curious about it.

sonicrobby
Jun 26, 2013, 03:05 PM

WTF?! Thats what you were complaining about?!
I bought a used rMBP with a huge scratch on the bottom and I couldnt be happier with it (because of the $800 savings, but regardless, you'd have to use your computer upside down in order to really feel like its there)

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
I think the "magic mirror screen" is normal, because there's no glass overlay like in MacBook Pros.

Also, all 5 units have light leakage? You should post a picture so we can see it, but is it possible thats normal as well?

I only have the recent one so i can only show you the light leaks on the current machine

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:07 PM
5 units !:eek:wow, what do the people at Apple say ? are they in agreement with you that something is a miss? this is mighty odd, I have a 13" air 2012, no issues and it was a refurb.

I have a 2012 too.
Running smooth and flawless!

jedolley
Jun 26, 2013, 03:07 PM
I only have the recent one so i can only show you the light leaks on the current machine

In the other thread you have a clear HD picture, and here you provide us this grainy example? :rolleyes:

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:09 PM
For the price, I would get a rMBP. Plus, you'll have the glass over the screen, eliminating the "magic mirror screen" problem you're having.

But the rmbp is not as fast as 2013 air since they use PCIe SSD.
And also the graphic card is a lot better.
need it for PH sometimes

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
jeffery0103, you're not willing to go with a base model and maybe pick it up at a local retailer like BB? Maybe you'll have better luck.

Just a suggestion.

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:16 PM
In the other thread you have a clear HD picture, and here you provide us this grainy example? :rolleyes:

This is the best i can do, coz its a dark screen and i take it by my iPhone

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:17 PM
jeffery0103, you're not willing to go with a base model and maybe pick it up at a local retailer like BB? Maybe you'll have better luck.

Just a suggestion.

No man. I brought it from apple retail store.

ritmomundo
Jun 26, 2013, 03:17 PM

Bottom left? I honestly don't see any light leak, but the pic is so grainy, it's really hard to tell.

Edit: okay, I see what you mean with the second picture. But I'm not sure if that's a light leak. The LEDs are around the edges of the screen, so it's naturally going to be brighter there.

mattferg
Jun 26, 2013, 03:18 PM

Ohh, you're the crazy guy who was complaining about a minute missing corner!

/done

GoCubsGo
Jun 26, 2013, 03:21 PM

Yet you had a camera that took a high res photo of a missing omg wtf bbq corner?

I don't see the light leak. Where are the LEDs on the panel?

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ohh, you're the crazy guy who was complaining about a minute missing corner!

/done

you won't say that if you own that machine.

----------

Bottom left? I honestly don't see any light leak, but the pic is so grainy, it's really hard to tell.

Edit: okay, I see what you mean with the second picture. But I'm not sure if that's a light leak. The LEDs are around the edges of the screen, so it's naturally going to be brighter there.

yea man. i dun mind it if its evenly spread on the bottom.
But it seems the left side has more white than the other bit of the screen

----------

Yet you had a camera that took a high res photo of a missing omg wtf bbq corner?

I don't see the light leak. Where are the LEDs on the panel?

i used iPhone 5 also.
I bet you dun know much about camera. try using your iphone to take a pic with all black screen before you say that
and take one more only for aluminium body of your mac and see

DoctorK4
Jun 26, 2013, 03:27 PM
i used iPhone 5 also.
I bet you dun know much about camera. try using your iphone to take a pic with all black screen before you say that

Sounds like you might want to look at returning that iPhone. The photo sensor must not be functioning correctly.

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:31 PM
Sounds like you might want to look at returning that iPhone. The photo sensor must not be functioning correctly.

really? try it on yours.
Mine one works perfectly.
Maybe your eyes have some problems. Go to the doc have it check
I start to worry about you man
I bet you are from apple since you come against me from start of this post!
How much did they pay you for helping them with bad QC?

scaredpoet
Jun 26, 2013, 03:37 PM
really? try it on yours.
Mine one works perfectly.
I bet you are from apple since you come against me from start of this post!
How much did they pay you for helping them with bad QC?

So are you going to accuse EVERYONE who disagrees with you of secretly working for Apple?

Well, if they're launching such a huge conspiracy against you, then maybe that's a sign you need to just spend your money elsewhere.

Besides, all the signs point to the fact that you will not be satisfied. QC has gone downhill as you say. After 5 exchanges, you still have flaws. Why reward them with your cash?

ronton
Jun 26, 2013, 03:39 PM
I don't know why everyone's so anal in here.

He's spending 1k+ of his own money, of course he would expect it to be near perfect.

If I was spending 1k+ on a product, I'd want my product to be in near perfect condition too.

There's a reason why people pay more for "premium" products.

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 03:41 PM
So are you going to accuse EVERYONE who disagrees with you of secretly working for Apple?

Well, if they're launching such a huge conspiracy against you, then maybe that's a sign you need to just spend your money elsewhere.

no. I admit i m a really picky person.
But i dont expect this to happen to my new air since i pay so much for it.
Also i bought my air 2012 never exchange it. still running perfectly and flawless

falconeight
Jun 26, 2013, 03:42 PM
People in this thread are crazy. Its like a 80's soap opera.....I love it!

Mrbobb
Jun 26, 2013, 05:41 PM
That light bleeding is pretty bad.

I have a theory: No matter what product, the factory is always hurrying to get the first batch out. No matter what they make, the people in the executive office always want it yesterday. So hurry = skip QC.

Take a break, wait until end of august, Hey they probly have refurbs then if u into that sort of thing.

thekev
Jun 26, 2013, 05:47 PM
Also i bought my air 2012 never exchange it. still running perfectly and flawless

I'm picky too. If it was me, I would skip the first month or so. I disagree that QA used to be better. Show me one older Apple display without that stupid purple edge problem, then maybe I'll believe it. Also I totally understand about backlight bleed. The design is just going to have some, but it's much less irritating if it's even. I don't know about the 2012s, but the 2011 mbp would get uneven dark portions around the bottom due to the location of certain vents.

iterva
Jun 26, 2013, 06:01 PM

Kind of have to agree with you on this :rolleyes:

racer1441
Jun 26, 2013, 06:06 PM
This is a user issue, not a laptop issue.

----------

Hey they probly have refurbs then if u into that sort of thing.

Most of which came from the OP :D

Psychj0e
Jun 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
Why are you giving Apple so much grief. Don't you understand Apple are doing you a favour by selling you this stuff.
Some people just don't appreciate what Apple are doing for them.

thadoggfather
Jun 26, 2013, 06:19 PM
What is this mirror twist thing you are referring to with the screen?

I heard that 2013 is more reflective than other MBA's, but I'd like some clarification.

Loving my 2011 and threads like these make me glad I'm not in the market for a new laptop any time soon (with Samsung LCD and SSD).

I honestly believe OP, Apple quality is THAT bad. I've experienced it many a time across the board.

I think the OP's main problem is OCD coupled with bad Apple QC. But I think Apple QC is so bad lots of non-OCD people might find issues these days.

E.Lizardo
Jun 26, 2013, 06:27 PM

It looks bad because he had to turn out the lights and turn the screen brightness all the way down to reveal the horrible soul killing light leak that would never be detectable by a human in 1000 years of normal use.
What a joke.Apple needs to refund your money and say goodbye.

WhyMista
Jun 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
ohh, you're the crazy guy who was complaining about a minute missing corner!

/done

this!!!

yaddam205
Jun 26, 2013, 09:17 PM
This is a user issue, not a laptop issue.

Ditto.

The only positive from the OP's compulsion is the additional refurbs he's contributing.

Give the guys at the Apple store a break. I'm sure they cringe every time they see you enter.

jeffery0103
Jun 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
Ditto.

The only positive from the OP's compulsion is the additional refurbs he's contributing.

Give the guys at the Apple store a break. I'm sure they cringe every time they see you enter.

is that my fault to have bad Qc stuffs from apple?
you never exchange anything coz of screen or cosmetic problems?
I saw tons of posts about having lg panels and they exchange for few times because they want a samsung screen!!

ayres
Jun 27, 2013, 12:53 AM

lol! this is karma for returning the missing corner!

cjgonzales1900
Jun 27, 2013, 04:06 AM
is that my fault to have bad Qc stuffs from apple?
I saw tons of posts about having lg panels and they exchange for few times because they want a samsung screen!!

I understand were you are coming from. I own a 2011 MBA it was perfect out of the box and I checked for cosmetic problems. If it had problems I would return it but not 5 times. That is a bit excessive. I understand you dont want any problems with your machines you pay almost $2000 for. I would suggest returning the MBA and waiting a month or 2 to buy another one. This is the first batch they will fix the problems after a month or 2.

For another thing I think you are looking for problems with your new machines. Apple has Great QC yes there are defects in any product, nothing is ever perfect.

Please just take back your MBA and Get your money back or stick with the next one you get, this is outrageous. Please Just Stop.

The Man
Jun 27, 2013, 04:47 AM
I used to be like the OP, nitpicking every little fault. Nowadays I accept a certain amount of imperfection, because otherwise one wouldn't be able to live a normal life. I also accept that it's a mass produced item, hand assembled at high speed.

My iPad has a creaky bit of top glass, but it's at a place where I hardly touch it. My Dell screen some minor light leaks. MacBook a few scratches out of the box. Watch screws show a little damage. My old iBook had a couple of bright pixels. Keyboard has a teensy scuff.

Yes, perfection would be great, but I'm convinced getting a perfect product from any manufacturer is more about luck than anything else.

Steve121178
Jun 27, 2013, 06:46 AM
I just looked again and I still don't understand the morning corner complaint!

racer1441
Jun 27, 2013, 06:53 AM

Nope. Dinged up is one thing. Some of the screen complaints people make are just loony tunes.

AppleMacNerd
Jun 27, 2013, 07:11 AM
Nope. Dinged up is one thing. Some of the screen complaints people make are just loony tunes.

Agreed.

Diversion
Jun 27, 2013, 07:22 AM
Try a different store for an exchange? Maybe all of those boxes from the same store were mishandled.. You definately shouldn't be having warped screens like described.. I had a 2013 11" and a 2013 13" and both had flawless body construction.. The 11" did have some annoying backlight bleed though (LG panel) but the 13" is nearly perfect, just some bright corners on the bottom left and right but not really noticeable.

topdaytrader
Jun 27, 2013, 07:27 AM
This guy must be trolling. Even if its for real, most guys will move on to something else after exchanged 5 units. This guy is a joke!!!

If you can't stand one tiny scratch or nick on your laptop, you should go see a Dr first. Soon or later your laptop is going to have scratch or nick. The best way to get the most money out of your MBA is to use the hell of it, not admire it.

Diversion
Jun 27, 2013, 07:33 AM
I understand were you are coming from. I own a 2011 MBA it was perfect out of the box and I checked for cosmetic problems. If it had problems I would return it but not 5 times. That is a bit excessive. I understand you dont want any problems with your machines you pay almost $2000 for. I would suggest returning the MBA and waiting a month or 2 to buy another one. This is the first batch they will fix the problems after a month or 2.

For another thing I think you are looking for problems with your new machines. Apple has Great QC yes there are defects in any product, nothing is ever perfect.

Please just take back your MBA and Get your money back or stick with the next one you get, this is outrageous. Please Just Stop.

This is good advice.. When the iPad3 first came out.. I was in line to buy it.. My first one had stuck pixels, yellow tinted screen.. all of those issues people were screaming about. . I returned it.. and the next one, same deal.. We opened 3 units IN STORE (thankfully Apple store reps were cool about doing this, they just wanted me to be happy) and every single unit had an issue with stuck/dead pixels so I just picked the one with the whitest screen and went home.

Later I sold it off and decided to give it another try and the few month older iPad3 had a perfect screen with uniform, white color.. It just felt like Apple produced a better product after the initial "rush". Could be that Apple factories are rushing to make a deadline for launch and later they are more relaxed and will QC their products better.

----------

This guy must be trolling. Even if its for real, most guys will move on to something else after exchanged 5 units. This guy is a joke!!!

If you can't stand one tiny scratch or nick on your laptop, you should go see a Dr first. Soon or later your laptop is going to have scratch or nick. The best way to get the most money out of your MBA is to use the hell of it, not admire it.

I know that if the MBA was that much of a POS i'd go buy the new Sony Vaio Duo 13" because it's a pretty retardedly awesome machine :P With a screen I guarantee is better than the MBA (being IPS and 1080p).

But the form and function is too hard to beat so another year to the MBA for me. Maybe Sony will win me over next year, they almost had me this time.

Woyzeck
Jun 27, 2013, 07:43 AM
You should really rethink your purchase. Are you looking for a notebook, which is a tool to get work done, or are you looking for some kind of fetish. If it's the latter, I'm afraid that there's no man-made consumer notebook on the market that'll make you happy. They all have 'flaws' like these.

Honestly, I'd take the 2000$ and spend them on a therapy.

GoCubsGo
Jun 27, 2013, 07:50 AM
i used iPhone 5 also.
You bet I dun know? Dun?
Look, the iPhone 5 can absolutely take a better pic of a back screen. You and I both know. The best thing you could do is find the worst possible picture you took and post it, which is what you did.
The site is mostly a soap opera.
I'm picky too. If it was me, I would skip the first month or so. I disagree that QA used to be better. Show me one older Apple display without that stupid purple edge problem, then maybe I'll believe it. Also I totally understand about backlight bleed. The design is just going to have some, but it's much less irritating if it's even. I don't know about the 2012s, but the 2011 mbp would get uneven dark portions around the bottom due to the location of certain vents.

I think it is clear that there are people here that haven't been with Apple long enough to know that QA used to be better.

OP, you need to return the laptop and buy something else. Again, if I were the manager of the store you continue to return to, I would flag your account for excessive and unnecessary returns.

iSee
Jun 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
OP, just return the computer and forget about it.

If you weren't satisfied with the last 5, there's very little chance the 6th is going to be any different. If you keep exchanging you'll just get more and more frustrated (I can see from the post above that you are already really riled up already). The MBA clearly isn't what you expected, so it's time to move on.

scaredpoet
Jun 27, 2013, 11:00 AM
Regardless of what side of the fence you're on - it's Apple's fault and QA is in the toilet, OR this guy is too OCD - one thing is clear: if after five returns you're not satisfied, then it's highly unlikely that you'll be satisfied after 6, or 10, or 20.

Whose fault that may be is surely up for debate, but pinning fault doesn't change the outcome.

Regardless of what product you're buying or who you're buying it from, five exchanges is a pretty good point to stop and make a choice: either you get a refund and take your money to a manufacturer that meets your expectations and produces something you find fully satisfying, or you accept exchange #5 for all its flaws and imperfections and just cope with the idea that this is as good as it's going to get. It's statistically unlikely that any one person is going to return an item 5 or more times and that #6/10/20/100 will just magically be the one that's perfect. More likely is the idea that the QA level, regardless or your expectations, is going to be consistent across all of them.

And if there is NO other manufacturer of the product out there that meets your expectations, then that kinda speaks for itself.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

imjoee
Jun 27, 2013, 11:06 AM
Thz a lot!

I totally understand where you're coming from. Spending so much money, you might as well get what you expected. If not, then complain. Apples a very wealthy company, they can afford it. Trust me, you're supporting their company, you should get what you expected spending top dollar.

jeffery0103
Jun 27, 2013, 11:20 AM
You bet I dun know? Dun?
Look, the iPhone 5 can absolutely take a better pic of a back screen. You and I both know. The best thing you could do is find the worst possible picture you took and post it, which is what you did.

The site is mostly a soap opera.

I think it is clear that there are people here that haven't been with Apple long enough to know that QA used to be better.

OP, you need to return the laptop and buy something else. Again, if I were the manager of the store you continue to return to, I would flag your account for excessive and unnecessary returns.

really if you have such a skill.
prove it with your iPhone!
Maybe you are a pro photographer.
Moving your lips cant get you nice photo tho!

go and apply for manager pos and flag my account please!!!!
Someone like you . I bet they wont even bother to look at your cv!

sparks9
Jun 27, 2013, 11:32 AM
Get a refund. Clearly Apple does not meet your extraordinarily high quality standards, and frankly I don't think any other brand will.

Carouser
Jun 27, 2013, 11:33 AM
Spending so much money, you might as well get what you expected. If not, then complain. Apples a very wealthy company, they can afford it. Trust me, you're supporting their company, you should get what you expected spending top dollar.

No, you aren't paying to 'get what you expect', you are paying to get the product as advertised. Apple is free to offer exchanges or returns if you have a fault or dissatisfaction with your purchase. They are under zero obligation to 'give you what you expect', especially if you have expectations they are unable or unwilling to meet.

Also, what's the magic amount of dollars where you get to demand things?

jeffery0103
Jun 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
thx iSEE, Scaredpoet, imjoee and all others for the nice opinions!!
You guys been really helpful and understanding.
unlike someone just talk crap!
I think i should just get the refund and wait for a bit.

Thank you!

Mr.damien
Jun 27, 2013, 11:43 AM

----------

Well, seems to me they are sending you other "fixed"macbook air and not new one

DisplacedMic
Jun 27, 2013, 11:58 AM
i don't believe this is real.

mattferg
Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 PM
thx iSEE, Scaredpoet, imjoee and all others for the nice opinions!!
You guys been really helpful and understanding.
unlike someone just talk crap!

Thank you!

You are aware all the people you're thanking for being 'helpful and understanding' are telling other users you're crazy and just to ignore you, right?

Yeah, you're definitely insane.

STTEVES
Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 PM
Friend of mine is an ex-IT guy for a school district. He often referred to an
issue as a PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.

This may be one of those PEBCAKs.

r6mile
Jun 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
Friend of mine is an ex-IT guy for a school district. He often referred to an
issue as a PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.

This may be one of those PEBCAKs.

I actually heard that one before from an IT woman. I thought it was her that'd made it up! Nevertheless, the notion applies.

iMarvin
Jun 27, 2013, 12:43 PM

I think you should return this, get another one and don't look for flaws on it. You'll enjoy the crap out of that computer, ill guarantee it. :)

tdhurst
Jun 27, 2013, 12:48 PM
I can understand wanting to return an expensive computer you're not happy with, but can some please explain light leakage to me?

Specifically, why it's a problem? If you can only see it when the screen is black, what's the issue? How often do people use their laptops with the monitor black?

merkinmuffley
Jun 27, 2013, 01:43 PM
Keep returning them until you get one that meets your expectations, you're stocking the refurb store for the rest of us

GoCubsGo
Jun 27, 2013, 02:22 PM
really if you have such a skill.
prove it with your iPhone!
Maybe you are a pro photographer.
Moving your lips cant get you nice photo tho!

go and apply for manager pos and flag my account please!!!!
Someone like you . I bet they wont even bother to look at your cv!

There does indeed seem to be a problem here but it isn't with your computer.

fenderbass146
Jun 27, 2013, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry, but you may be a little special. You're being ridiculous.

jeffery0103
Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 PM
There does indeed seem to be a problem here but it isn't with your computer.

Maybe problem with your head!
BTW where is the perfect photo from your special iphone cam with your macbook all black screen and max brightness?
Stop talking and do something!

firedept
Jun 27, 2013, 10:36 PM
Really?!!! Sounds to me like you will never be satisfied. If it was me, I would run back to Apple Store and get a full refund. My advice to you seems like it would be a perfect solution. You would no longer have something that obviously will never be perfect in your opinion and all your money back in your pocket. What more could you ask for. I am almost betting blacklisting by Apple is soon around the corner for you. So Run!

Creek0512
Jun 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
This guy is just par for the course on this website with all the other obsessive nonsense everyone else returns computers for, deluding themselves into believing they can detect differences in SSDs and LCDs from different manufactuers.

iterva
Jun 27, 2013, 10:46 PM

Seems like a wise choice in your case..

Creek0512
Jun 27, 2013, 11:27 PM

What? You can't cancel this show now! Think how much you'll get from the syndication rights if you go the full 7 seasons. You're almost there!

topdaytrader
Jun 28, 2013, 02:10 AM
Because there's people like this, company will start to have stricter return policy. I remembered we were able to return just about anything w/o restocking fees within a year.

kaellar
Jun 28, 2013, 09:48 AM

You should've started with this, that would leave way less people trying to find out what's wrong with you / your MBAs..

August West
Jun 28, 2013, 10:05 AM
Because there's people like this, company will start to have stricter return policy. I remembered we were able to return just about anything w/o restocking fees within a year.

+1000

People like this eventually end up ruining the return policies for others who have real problems and need to return/exchange items.

Once I realized this was the same clown who returned his first MBA for the "defective" corner next to the hinge it all makes sense now.

Get your money back and move on.

HiDEF
Jun 28, 2013, 10:15 AM
This thread has gone on for far too long. Jeff, keep returning till you're satisfied. However, you might be on Apple's ****** list after the 5th time. But you're entitled after spending 1500+ on your machine.

You might want to take a small break and try again in a few weeks. But ignore everyone (including me) and do what you feel is best; again, you pay a premium so you should expect a premium product. And poor craftsmanship is not your problem, it's Apples.

Good luck! And Mods should just close this thread before it gets worst.

Cicatrix
Jun 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
Keep returning them until you get one that meets your expectations, you're stocking the refurb store for the rest of us

i approve this message....... a lot.

5 Airs does seem a little bit fishy though. Actually it seems like a lot of fishy.

cedwhatev
Jun 28, 2013, 10:09 PM
I can't believe there are four pages of comments on this stupid post. To the OP.. feel free to exchange as many Macs as you please, but for the love of all that is good... keep this garbage to yourself. You make yourself look ridiculous.

s15119
Jun 28, 2013, 10:49 PM

imjoee
Jun 28, 2013, 11:18 PM
No, you aren't paying to 'get what you expect', you are paying to get the product as advertised. Apple is free to offer exchanges or returns if you have a fault or dissatisfaction with your purchase. They are under zero obligation to 'give you what you expect', especially if you have expectations they are unable or unwilling to meet.

Also, what's the magic amount of dollars where you get to demand things?

I expect to have absolute perfection. If not, then it's going back.

Tarrou8
Jun 28, 2013, 11:54 PM
Misery loves company.
:(

dyn
Jun 29, 2013, 10:38 AM
This guy is just par for the course on this website with all the other obsessive nonsense everyone else returns computers for, deluding themselves into believing they can detect differences in SSDs and LCDs from different manufactuers.
There is some truth to the ssd's though: you can easily detect the difference between one with an Sandforce controller and one without because the Sandforce controller can't handle compressed data very well and won't be able to get the advertised speeds or the speeds the competitors reach because of that.

Kevbodian
Jun 29, 2013, 11:03 AM
What? You can't cancel this show now! Think how much you'll get from the syndication rights if you go the full 7 seasons. You're almost there!

It's like the Jerry Springer show. Next thing he'll say is, "I am on macbook #19 and stupid apple worker slept with my sister".

happyslayer
Jun 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
Hello, I've been following this thread and finally got a chance to test some of these things on my own new 2013 Air. Now, I have the 11" BTO i5 with 8GB RAM and standard 128 SSD so this is obviously not a direct comparison to your Ultra 13" model, but it should be close.

I have gone over the Air from back to front, top to bottom with a very detailed look at the hinges, corners, finish, etc. I have found no imperfections. (I was surprised about that since I have had it for about two weeks now, and it has been in and out of my bag every day.) So that should mean that it is definitely possible to get an Air that is physically all good.

As to the "Magic Mirror" effect you describe. I have turned the laptop off, stood in dim rooms, well lit rooms, gone out doors for direct sunlight tests and, overall, I would say the image is relatively flat. As I move back and forth in front of the screen, I notice a very very slight... maybe call it a hiccup in the image in certain places. Which indicates a slightly imperfect flatness. I have never noticed this while using it and I have done some marathon 5+hour constant writing sessions on it a few times since I got it two weeks ago. So, unless you are unsatisfied with even very slight screen-reflected-image-deformation, that should be possible to get a replacement that is good there also.

Now, as to light bleed. I am a computer consultant and have been working on laptops of all makes and models for over seventeen years. It has been my experience that most of them--if I had enough time to even test or notice such a thing--exhibited at least a little bit of light bleed when at full brightness on dark backgrounds. And often at even half brightness. I am pretty sure that's a function of where the light bulbs/light sources are in the LCD screen. This also goes for most LCD monitors.

I tested this on my Air by changing the background on my screen to solid White, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, And Black. I then lowered and upped the brightness on each color, slowly until any light-bleed was evident.

With the black background only, I notice light bleed along the bottom edge when I get to the last three ticks of the onscreen brightness meter. But it really isn't bad compared to other laptops I have used/worked on. And since I normally use the laptop at 50% brightness, (Half way across the onscreen meter--I assume it's linear.) I do not notice it.

Also, with respect to the light-bleed at those final brightness settings, it does appear, for me, to be brighter in the lower middle. And the bleed extends maybe fifty percent higher in the middle as well--from about a quarter inch a the edges to a half inch high at the middle.

So, do you see the bleed at lower brightness levels? With other colors? If so, maybe it is an issue. Return it. Do you normally work at full brightness? If so, then you may just be stuck and have to deal with it.

Lastly, I have, in the past, with an iPhone been able to have the Sales people take it out of the box so I could inspect it prior to replacing it. (I had an iPhone 4 with dust under the screen and got it switched.) Is that a possibility with your Apple Store. Make them unbox it, set it up enough to use, and test/inspect it before you take it as a replacement.

Hope that helps!

kingtj
Jun 29, 2013, 12:50 PM
I didn't read this entire thread, so maybe I missed something. But are you ordering these machines direct from Apple online as "build to order" systems? I've *never* heard of one ordered that way arriving scratched or scraped up!

This sounds more like what I've seen when buying from 3rd. parties like a local Micro Center (where a claim that a machine is "new" is always suspect), or refurbished systems from retail outlets.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense you had issues with 5 in a row?! It sounds to me like yes, you're probably being way too picky -- at least about this light leakage. The screens found in a system like an Air aren't going to be flawless about seeing a little bit of light around corners/edges, especially against a dark or black background. I don't think that's something most users are really concerned with as long as the screen looks clear, crisp and vibrant overall while using it to do things.

And don't take this as a personal attack or anything, please -- but I've run into this with Mac purchasers over the years; this phenomenon where a person has their expectations set unreasonably high. For example, I sold my 2 year old Macbook Pro 17" on Amazon to this guy out in California. In all honestly, I thought I kept the machine in pretty much flawless condition. I barely ever even traveled with it (one reason I decided to sell it!). It sat on my desk most of the time, not even powered on -- so it was as close to a new system as you'd probably ever find. Well, this guy proceeded to tear me a new one via email, screaming about the most bizarre "problems" he encountered with it. (I can't even remember it all now, but one complaint of his was about a few seconds of "lag" when plugging in or removing headphones before it switched to/from the internal speakers?? Why in the world would this even be something a person would care about?) And he said a keyboard key was slightly crooked, an issue the silver backlit keyboards on those models had quite often -- and was just the nature of the things. I refused to give him his money back, but boy did he act like the world was gonna end.... all over a USED machine he got for less than HALF what I paid for it to begin with.

Thz a lot!

midwestfisherma
Jun 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
Five exchanges?! Some guys are never going to be satisfied! *roll eyes*

Cheffy Dave
Jun 29, 2013, 05:03 PM
If I were you I would take #5 back, ask for a refund... and buy a DELL.

NO! Dont tell him that, picky people will always find something, BUT they do fill the REFURB STORE!
I'd buy 2 of the five, when they hit the store!
That said, show us the reciepts, cus This sounds a tad trollish!:eek:

Cheffy Dave
Jun 29, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hello, I've been following this thread and finally got a chance to test some of these things on my own new 2013 Air. Now, I have the 11" BTO i5 with 8GB RAM and standard 128 SSD so this is obviously not a direct comparison to your Ultra 13" model, but it should be close.

I have gone over the Air from back to front, top to bottom with a very detailed look at the hinges, corners, finish, etc. I have found no imperfections. (I was surprised about that since I have had it for about two weeks now, and it has been in and out of my bag every day.) So that should mean that it is definitely possible to get an Air that is physically all good.

As to the "Magic Mirror" effect you describe. I have turned the laptop off, stood in dim rooms, well lit rooms, gone out doors for direct sunlight tests and, overall, I would say the image is relatively flat. As I move back and forth in front of the screen, I notice a very very slight... maybe call it a hiccup in the image in certain places. Which indicates a slightly imperfect flatness. I have never noticed this while using it and I have done some marathon 5+hour constant writing sessions on it a few times since I got it two weeks ago. So, unless you are unsatisfied with even very slight screen-reflected-image-deformation, that should be possible to get a replacement that is good there also.

Now, as to light bleed. I am a computer consultant and have been working on laptops of all makes and models for over seventeen years. It has been my experience that most of them--if I had enough time to even test or notice such a thing--exhibited at least a little bit of light bleed when at full brightness on dark backgrounds. And often at even half brightness. I am pretty sure that's a function of where the light bulbs/light sources are in the LCD screen. This also goes for most LCD monitors.

I tested this on my Air by changing the background on my screen to solid White, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, And Black. I then lowered and upped the brightness on each color, slowly until any light-bleed was evident.

With the black background only, I notice light bleed along the bottom edge when I get to the last three ticks of the onscreen brightness meter. But it really isn't bad compared to other laptops I have used/worked on. And since I normally use the laptop at 50% brightness, (Half way across the onscreen meter--I assume it's linear.) I do not notice it.

Also, with respect to the light-bleed at those final brightness settings, it does appear, for me, to be brighter in the lower middle. And the bleed extends maybe fifty percent higher in the middle as well--from about a quarter inch a the edges to a half inch high at the middle.

So, do you see the bleed at lower brightness levels? With other colors? If so, maybe it is an issue. Return it. Do you normally work at full brightness? If so, then you may just be stuck and have to deal with it.

Lastly, I have, in the past, with an iPhone been able to have the Sales people take it out of the box so I could inspect it prior to replacing it. (I had an iPhone 4 with dust under the screen and got it switched.) Is that a possibility with your Apple Store. Make them unbox it, set it up enough to use, and test/inspect it before you take it as a replacement.

Hope that helps!

a voice of reason in the wilderness!

daviddth
Jun 30, 2013, 04:45 AM

Same here with my i7/8GB/512GB Unit. The screen may not be perfectly flat, but that does not change the excellent quality when on, no light leakage - it's staying in the screen and not running all over the keyloard or down the back of the case, and finally my Apple logo is on the back & has not fallen off.

What else can I ask for :)

808?
Jun 30, 2013, 04:56 AM

I bet the "light" on your screen you are seeing comes from your keyboard.

Try turning off the keyboard back lighting and try again.

halledise
Jun 30, 2013, 05:08 AM

fully agree.

Jeffrey - a retina MBPro will please you no end.

return #5, buy a rMBP and live a happy life.

Dell - 0
Apple - 1

TC25
Jun 30, 2013, 08:03 AM
Jeffrey - a retina MBPro will please you no end.

return #5, buy a rMBP and live a happy life.
Jeffrey's two threads provide proof the odds of these 2 things happening on the first through fifth rMBP are extremely low.

Tarrou8
Jun 30, 2013, 08:40 AM
You most definitely have a problem. But the Air is not it.

Guppy51
Jun 30, 2013, 08:40 AM
Maybe you got on the blacklist.

Human Jukebox
Jun 30, 2013, 10:10 AM
Just open the new unit in the store and check it out during the setup...would have saved you a lot of time...

TC25
Jun 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
Just open the new unit in the store and check it out during the setup...would have saved you a lot of time...
The store might frown upon someone taking 2 or 3 hours and bringing in a scanning electron microscope to check out their purchase.

Mackilroy
Jun 30, 2013, 04:41 PM
Reminds me of a guy who went through more than a dozen Apple products and every single one was unacceptable for arguably minor flaws. He claimed he was having to take time off work to deal with shipping.

jeffery0103: not saying you shouldn't get a machine you're not satisfied with, but there are more important things in life to worry about.

monkeybagel
Jun 30, 2013, 06:18 PM
This post reminds me why I rarely visit the notebook section of these forums...

The desktop section is so much different.

sofianito
Jun 30, 2013, 06:39 PM
It is likely a PEBKAC issue... :D

2IS
Jun 30, 2013, 07:04 PM

You aren't picky, you're OCD and unreasonable

You didn't "pay so much" you paid the same as everyone else who bought the machine

And lastly, its a laptop screen, not a damn mirror.

I'm not sure why you keep posting here about your "issues" no one here is going to fix any real or imagined issues you have.

DoctorK4
Jun 30, 2013, 08:07 PM
And lastly, its a laptop screen, not a damn mirror.

That must be why it's magic.

FrancoisC
Jun 30, 2013, 08:23 PM
I would have kept the first one.

japasneezemonk
Jun 30, 2013, 09:35 PM

This statement is absurd and obviously anecdotal. Apple has always had QC issues. In 2003 i bought a 17" PB for $3,300USD (about $4,200USD today counting inflation), and had issues with my display. Not enough to warrant a return though. Back then people where also complaining about the rise of QC issues, etc. Most problems were related to dead pixels, white spots, and lines on the display.