Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hi guys. I have exchanged 5 units already. And still having problems with my new air.
QC is really really bad. I paid so much money for that Coz its the top model of 13" air i7 8gb ram 512ssd. I expected a 99.99% perfect machine. But after what i've been through, I m just tired of this lottery game. Just wanna get some opinions from you guys if i should take it back again.
Thz a lot!

1: Nicks at the bottom corner, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

2: Apple logo was bent, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

3: dead pixel, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

4: Scratches next to trackpad and next to the hinge, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

5: Everything seems to be fine but light leakage at the bottom. Specially left bottom

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Hi guys. I have exchanged 5 units already. And still having problems with my new air.
QC is really really bad. I paid so much money for that Coz its the top model of 13" air i7 8gb ram 512ssd. I expected a 99.99% perfect machine. But after what i've been through, I m just tired of this lottery game. Just wanna get some opinions from you guys if i should take it back again.
Thz a lot!

1: Nicks at the bottom corner, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

2: Apple logo was bent, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

4: Scratches next to trackpad and next to the hinge, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

5: Everything seems to be fine but light leakage at the bottom. Specially left bottom

What does "Magic mirror screen" mean? To me it sounds like you're being awfully picky, to be honest, but I didn't see the actual units so who knows. Light bleed seems to be on all 5 of your machines so maybe your standards for that are a little high? :)

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
What does "Magic mirror screen" mean? To me it sounds like you're being awfully picky, to be honest, but I didn't see the actual units so who knows. Light bleed seems to be on all 5 of your machines so maybe your standards for that are a little high? :)

You know distorting mirror? when you look at the screen your face look twist.
the light leakage on previous 4 look good coz its evenly spread.
But this one its actually more light leak on the left bottom.

----------

Extremely odd that all 5 replacements have an issue.

yea man. Apple QC used to be real good.
but now its awful.:(

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Sorry, but it sounds to me like you're making this up. I literally just unboxed the unit, and I am incredibly pleased.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Depending on how big the nicks were on the first one, i probably would of kept that. The "magic mirror screen" :)p) shouldn't be a problem because your not looking on the glass, but on the lcd panel behind it. It sounds to me that you are very picky, but i don't blame you. Just bear in mind that it won't stay perfect forever even if you get one that is spotless. :)

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thz a lot!

I think the "magic mirror screen" is normal, because there's no glass overlay like in MacBook Pros.

Also, all 5 units have light leakage? You should post a picture so we can see it, but is it possible thats normal as well?

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Depending on how big the nicks were on the first one, i probably would of kept that. The "magic mirror screen" :)p) shouldn't be a problem because your not looking on the glass, but on the lcd panel behind it. It sounds to me that you are very picky, but i don't blame you. Just bear in mind that it won't stay perfect forever even if you get one that is spotless. :)

I know i m picky coz i expect a better machine since it cost nearly $2000.
But the magic mirror thing annoys me when i m working in a bright environment. coz i see myself twisting all the time. I can't see any other brands has this kinda screen problems. and they are a lot cheaper

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
5 units !:eek:wow, what do the people at Apple say ? are they in agreement with you that something is a miss? this is mighty odd, I have a 13" air 2012, no issues and it was a refurb.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I know i m picky coz i expect a better machine since it cost nearly $2000.
But the magic mirror thing annoys me when i m working in a bright environment. coz i see myself twisting all the time. I can't see any other brands has this kinda screen problems. and they are a lot cheaper

For the price, I would get a rMBP. Plus, you'll have the glass over the screen, eliminating the "magic mirror screen" problem you're having.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

This.
The first issue listed in this thread was "enhanced" because his only issue with his first machine was a "missing corner" which was a knick by the hinge (he said hitch but there is no hitch). The fact was that the knick was so small that he had to take a high res photo and still, the first responders of the post had to really look for what he was on about.

I don't know about this so-called drama of a magic mirror, but I believe it is time for the Apple store to refund his money and he can buy his machine elsewhere. I would put a flag on his account for excessive returns for less than minor issues.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
look at my previous post before you say anything else
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1599917/

I have 20/15 vision and I still had to zoom in to see what you were referring to... Not sure I would have even noticed in person.

You know distorting mirror? when you look at the screen your face look twist.
the light leakage on previous 4 look good coz its evenly spread.
But this one its actually more light leak on the left bottom.
Are you sure you don't have the Photobooth app running? :D

As for Apple's "QC", the only issue I had was with the original iPad. Every other product I have purchased since then (2011 27" iMac, 15" rMBP, iPad 2, iPad Mini, 2012 27" iMac, and now the 2013 13" MBA) have exceeded my standards.

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I think the "magic mirror screen" is normal, because there's no glass overlay like in MacBook Pros.

Also, all 5 units have light leakage? You should post a picture so we can see it, but is it possible thats normal as well?

I only have the recent one so i can only show you the light leaks on the current machine

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 392

jeffery0103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
5 units !:eek:wow, what do the people at Apple say ? are they in agreement with you that something is a miss? this is mighty odd, I have a 13" air 2012, no issues and it was a refurb.

I have a 2012 too.
Running smooth and flawless!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.