PDA

View Full Version : Air or Retina Pro?

Jem57
Jun 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
Looking to get a MacBook. Not sure if I should go with the Air or Retina Pro. This will be primarily a work computer with a large amount of data loading and word processing, web browsing. Also, may do some personal photography work (but I have an iMac already). And will be traveling with it. If I were to get the Air, I would upgrade to the 8 GB of RAM and then thought maybe I should be getting the 13" rPro which has a faster processor and the additional RAM. But after further reading it looks like the I/O speeds are actually faster on the Air? I'm not sure what would be best for my needs, if the Air will suffice or if the Pro is actually significantly faster? I'm fine w/the display and don't have a need for the Retina display. I'm more concerned w/the portability and performance.

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jem57, you might not get too many responses cause this topic has been discussed over a thousand times; just do some research..

Now, if you have an iMac as your primary machine, I'd recommend going with the MBA and perhaps upgrade the RAM and CPU.

In this Video (http://youtu.be/bQvJUivX-3s?t=14m14s), Lisa demonstrates PS working on a i7 8GB RAM. She says it works just fine.

Some will tell you to go with rMBP but I think you might be ok with MBA but I don't work with PS4.

Again, I tell this to others, get the MBA, test it, and if you like, keep it! When the new rMBP are announced, just sell it and go with the new line.

I hope this helps :o

mattferg
Jun 26, 2013, 03:24 PM
Jem57, you might not get too many responses cause this topic has been discussed over a thousand times; just do some research..

Now, if you have an iMac as your primary machine, I'd recommend going with the MBA and perhaps upgrade the RAM and CPU.

In this Video (http://youtu.be/bQvJUivX-3s?t=14m14s), Lisa demonstrates PS working on a i7 8GB RAM. She says it works just fine.

Some will tell you to go with rMBP but I think you might be ok with MBA but I don't work with PS4.

Again, I tell this to others, get the MBA, test it, and if you like, keep it! When the new rMBP are announced, just sell it and go with the new line.

I hope this helps :o

The CPU upgrade is a waste of money, even for photoshop. If it is your secondary machine, just get the RAM upgrade and save the money :)

Jem57
Jun 26, 2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks HiDEF. The more I research the more confused I get! lol. Other people have asked for non-work related tasks, but I couldn't find anyone who would use it for business vs basic personal computing. Maybe I'll try your suggestion to get the MBA and test it out. It's just not very clear to me, other than display and processor speed, what the significant differences are between the 2. I know the MBA is thinner and lighter, but doesn't seem to be a major difference. An Apple tech told me I would be better off w/a Pro for my use because it's much faster, but then reading benchmark tests it sounds like the MBA may actually have faster I/O. I guess the only true test is for me to test it!

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks HiDEF. The more I research the more confused I get! lol. Other people have asked for non-work related tasks, but I couldn't find anyone who would use it for business vs basic personal computing. Maybe I'll try your suggestion to get the MBA and test it out. It's just not very clear to me, other than display and processor speed, what the significant differences are between the 2. I know the MBA is thinner and lighter, but doesn't seem to be a major difference. An Apple tech told me I would be better off w/a Pro for my use because it's much faster, but then reading benchmark tests it sounds like the MBA may actually have faster I/O. I guess the only true test is for me to test it!

Again, you have a primary machine so MBA should be fine.. Now, if you put Retina next to MBA, forget it, you're going to rather have the nicer display. Although, some have said that they prefer the MBA display when it comes to photo editing.

I have the base 13" MBA which I find to be good. I really want the rMBP but I'm going to wait for the new ones to be announced before jumping to Retina. So, when time comes, my intention is to sell the MBA and grab the 13" rMBP.

Jem57
Jun 26, 2013, 03:45 PM
Again, you have a primary machine so MBA should be fine.. Now, if you put Retina next to MBA, forget it, you're going to rather have the nicer display. Although, some have said that they prefer the MBA display when it comes to photo editing.

I'm less worried about photo editing as that won't be my primary computer for that, I'm more worried about I/O for data loading. I do a lot of of data processing (heavy downloads/uploads) and I need to make sure I have the right speeds for that.