Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
But it cannot be emphasized enough that we ARE in the early Beta versions. IMO given the drastic change to IOS 7 over other versions, we are in for a pretty long haul here. I'm thinking we may see 7 or 8 beta's in 7...if not more.

Some can't understand why some bugs/issues are not fixed from one beta version to the next. Most likely it is because Apple does not deem some bugs/issues to be of a critical nature and will with until later versions to fix them. For the sake of argument, if Apple compiles a list of 500 bugs/issues in version 1, they may only fix 250 of them in version 2 and wait on the others.

I just think some need to step back and take a deep breath. What we have now may hold very little resemblance to what we see when the GM comes out.

JohnnyW2001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2012
You're right, but this is a particularly shaky Beta, especially on the 4S. I've worked in software development for years and Beta 1 and 2 feel close to Alpha builds to me. As you say, we're in the for long haul on this one.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
You're right, but this is a particularly shaky Beta, especially on the 4S. I've worked in software development for years and Beta 1 and 2 feel close to Alpha builds to me. As you say, we're in the for long haul on this one.

Which is understandable considering they only had 7-8 months to get iOS7 where it is now. But think of the other option: had they not released the beta at WWDC people would've been complaining still. No way to win... :rolleyes:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
In my testing, Beta 2 is miles ahead of Beta 1. In fact, I would venture to say that Beta 1 was an Alpha build that they simply seeded so they'd have something for WWDC. Beta 2 feels much more polished and complete.

We aren't there yet, however.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Yes, lots of complaining, a lot of people don't know what betas are for and just start threads to complain because they so a photo or because his friend told them something, others installed it without being a developer and just spam the forum with "going back to iOS, sorry Apple".

JohnnyW2001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, lots of complaining, a lot of people don't know what betas are for and just start threads to complain because they so a photo or because his friend told them something, others installed it without being a developer and just spam the forum with "going back to iOS, sorry Apple".

I don't think anyone here doesn't understand what a Beta is.

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I am not having any significant problems with beta2 on my iphone4. However, as is confirmed over on the developer's forum, there are HUGE problems with beta2 on the iPads, especially the ipad2. I am definitely having keyboard and touchscreen issues on my ipad2.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What we know as Beta 2, probably.

How do you figure? Wouldn't b2 be something that came out after bugs were found in b1? That's how I know betas to work. I don't see them as little gems dropped down every two weeks that are just sitting there, untouched.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
It's the same every year. Moaning and complaining like it is the end of the world, despite the fact "it's a beta" has been said many many times some people just don't get it. Get this, a guy was selling his mint iPhone 5 black unlocked 16GB online today for £200 because he tried to install iOS 7 beta 2 on it and didn't know what he was doing - he couldn't activate it or know how to DFU restore it to iOS 6...(did he not think to Google it?) so you know what I did - I bought it! Boxed, mint, unlocked. To to all the complainers talking about "bricking" their device or bug complaints from non developer amateurs trying to run it on their sole/primary device...in your face! This sweet deal has made it so much easier to tolerate the complainers.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
How do you figure? Wouldn't b2 be something that came out after bugs were found in b1? That's how I know betas to work. I don't see them as little gems dropped down every two weeks that are just sitting there, untouched.

The version they were running at WWDC was clearly much more stable and polished than B1. I am simply putting two and two together to make a guess.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Lot's of complaining, which is natural I suppose......

Bugs will be fixed but I don't expect any drastic design changes or opening up of iOS by release. It will still look like a really ugly jailbreak theme. My iPhone is jailbroken and it gives me way better functionality and FlatIcons theme is way more beautiful than what Apple showed off. Also, I have not had my phone crash once. People will learn to accept it and eventually love it because they will have to. It's either take what Apple gives you or go to another platform. Or jailbreak...

pottyvick

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2013
I think my biggest gripe is people who get irritated by people posting issues they're having (not referring to the OP). This is not the apple forum for developers so its safe to assume most people installed ios7 without actually developing an app. I have no problems with this because i dont come to macrumors thinking people are devs.

Although must say i do get annoyed by multiple posts about the same issue. lol...

Let me also add, i do dislike people who expect a beta to be perfect

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Which is understandable considering they only had 7-8 months to get iOS7 where it is now. But think of the other option: had they not released the beta at WWDC people would've been complaining still. No way to win... :rolleyes:

They choose when to hold WWDC. It could have waited.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
They choose when to hold WWDC. It could have waited.

Developers will need all the time they can get to change/create apps for iOS7, so I don't think it would've made sense for Apple to wait. Besides, considering the beta is only supposed to be used by devs, I would say it's pretty solid for app testing. Heck, I don't develop apps but use iOS7 on my main device to test it for future deployment in my office and I haven't had any major issues so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.