PDA

View Full Version : Help! My MacBook Air will not boot!

Macdude2010
Jun 26, 2013, 06:39 PM
Ok, so I bought a new MacBook Air on June 22nd, today, It froze so I force shut it down, I turn it back on and it won't boot properly, at first, it wouldn't even go to the apple logo, so I tried going into recovery, it couldn't repair the drive (index key), it also won't mount or reformat. The next thing I try is going into safe mode, when I go into safe mode, it is still grey with black boxes around the text, then it shuts down and reboots to the Apple logo, the bar when it updates the firmware, then the spin wheel, then it shuts down. I also ran the diagnostic utility and it said everything was fine, what do I do now?

Macdude2010
Jun 26, 2013, 08:18 PM
Over 300 views and no response? I also forgot to add that when I try to reinstall Mac OS X, it says the disk is locked.

errol
Jun 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
Why not just take it back to the apple store? Sounds like there might be a problem with the SSD.

Weaselboy
Jun 27, 2013, 10:32 AM
Over 300 views and no response? I also forgot to add that when I try to reinstall Mac OS X, it says the disk is locked.

Do you have Filevault disk encryption turned on? It sounds like you do.

Try a command-r boot to recovery then start Disk Util. I think in the File menu is an option to unlock the drive... pick that and enter your password. Now you can run repair disk on the drive. Hopefully this finds and fixes the disk errors I suspect you created by the forced shut down with Filevault. Then quit Disk Util and reboot.

DisplacedMic
Jun 27, 2013, 11:26 AM

because all 300 people thought the same thing "why doesn't he just return it?"
well, 250. minus the 50 times you clicked refresh of course :p

i hope you get this resolved, but it sounds like you need to take a trip to the fruitstand.

Macdude2010
Jun 27, 2013, 03:47 PM
A bit of an update, I thought I fixed it by reinstalling. Later today, it stopped working again, this time it won't even detect the drive. I ran the hardware test and it says there might be something wrong with the storage device. what do i do now?

errol
Jun 27, 2013, 03:51 PM
A bit of an update, I thought I fixed it by reinstalling. Later today, it stopped working again, this time it won't even detect the drive. I ran the hardware test and it says there might be something wrong with the storage device. what do i do now?

Take it to the apple store.