PDA

View Full Version : 2013 13" MBA Speakers

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 09:36 PM
This is my first laptop in a quite some time so I don't have any recent experience with notebook speakers but how good are the MBA speakers? I tend to hear some crackling when volume is set close to max; is this something to be concern about?

----------

Alright, I'm starting to think they're just not the greatest speakers.

falconeight
Jun 26, 2013, 09:38 PM
No they are laptop speakers and non are that great.

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 09:40 PM
So it's normal to hear the occasional crackling? You don't notice it with certain media..

I tested it out with "Man of Steel" trailer from Apple and in some scenes, you can hear the speaker crackling.

falconeight
Jun 26, 2013, 09:52 PM
If the speaker is crackling then its something you should know if its right or wrong. My speaker on all my apple devices crackle at max volume.

TheRealDamager
Jun 26, 2013, 10:03 PM
Pretty normal. I think the keys actually rattle when you try to crank to max volume. Once again, they aren't really meant for audiophile usage.

sparkie7
Jun 26, 2013, 10:12 PM
Everything is Relative.

If you have a $10-20K sound system at home, the MBA speakers are gonna sound crap.

If the only speakers you have are on your MBA, they are gonna sound awesome. Cranking to max vol not withstanding.

HiDEF
Jun 26, 2013, 10:14 PM
Yeah I figured it can only hit a certain volume before you start to hear some crackle.

hkim1983
Jun 26, 2013, 10:54 PM
If you care about audio on your computer, get a decent pair of headphones/speakers and a DAC. No mainstream computer otherwise will offer you anything close to that.

DJTaurus
Jun 26, 2013, 11:56 PM
It doesn't crack only in high volume but also when set lower. And it doesn't crack everywhere. Mostly on website vides, youtube etc. for example cracking on iTunes is less and happens in some songs. Sth wrong is going on here. I can accept not great sound quality from the build in speakers but cracking sound (keyboard buzzing) is unacceptable. Did anyone try to return it ?

Mrbobb
Jun 27, 2013, 12:44 AM
if cracks at low volume and we're talking about commercial materials, not something u encoded yourself, I believe u have bad speakers.

HiDEF
Jun 27, 2013, 08:22 AM
It doesn't crack only in high volume but also when set lower. And it doesn't crack everywhere. Mostly on website vides, youtube etc. for example cracking on iTunes is less and happens in some songs. Sth wrong is going on here. I can accept not great sound quality from the build in speakers but cracking sound (keyboard buzzing) is unacceptable. Did anyone try to return it ?

I'm not going to return it just yet but I'll keep an eye on it. I've got about 10 days left before I have to make a final decision.

Diversion
Jun 27, 2013, 08:30 AM
People might think i'm crazy but the MBA speakers are better than most larger notebooks i've heard from any other laptop maker.. They shock me everytime I want to listen to music or videos.. Even the 11" model speakers sound nearly identical to the 13" (they might actually be the same) but seriously. . I have a 17" Sager notebook with supposedly Onkyo THX speakers with a "sub" in the bottom and the MBA sounds way better. Apple doesn't seem to skimp anywhere on the MBA for being such a thin machine.. the technology crammed in still amazes me.

On a similar note, how does the MBA speakers compare to other ultrabooks for those who have a lot of experience around other makes?

DJTaurus
Jun 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
For example tis video cracks in many stages and also has many volume upsidedowns....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErexJkoDhGI

Those who also have speaker cracking in the MBA 13.... try to listen the apple wdcc 13.... the intro video cracks... also tim cooks voice cracks when he starts speaking....

PDFierro
Jun 27, 2013, 12:00 PM
People might think i'm crazy but the MBA speakers are better than most larger notebooks i've heard from any other laptop maker.. They shock me everytime I want to listen to music or videos.. Even the 11" model speakers sound nearly identical to the 13" (they might actually be the same) but seriously. . I have a 17" Sager notebook with supposedly Onkyo THX speakers with a "sub" in the bottom and the MBA sounds way better. Apple doesn't seem to skimp anywhere on the MBA for being such a thin machine.. the technology crammed in still amazes me.

On a similar note, how does the MBA speakers compare to other ultrabooks for those who have a lot of experience around other makes?

Agreed. I always hear people say that they are laptop speakers and sound awful, but I think those comments are coming from people that usually have speakers hooked up or something.

For such a thin device and considering the speakers in the MBA are actually underneath the keyboard, they sound good enough. The ones in the MBP are even more impressive.

DJTaurus
Jun 27, 2013, 12:21 PM
Agreed. I always hear people say that they are laptop speakers and sound awful, but I think those comments are coming from people that usually have speakers hooked up or something.

For such a thin device and considering the speakers in the MBA are actually underneath the keyboard, they sound good enough. The ones in the MBP are even more impressive.

Speakers are amazing.... they are very loud and crystal clear when the work properly (better than any 2.1 cheap speakers out there). And thats is sth amazing for such a thin device..... but i want to know why the f sound cracks in many occasions. I ll have to send it for a quick checkup at the service store. No wifi drop, no gpu graphical issues, no heat problems, amazing samsung panel.... evertyhing is fine except those weird speaker issues :(

HiDEF
Jun 27, 2013, 12:23 PM
Speakers are amazing.... they are very loud and crystal clear when the work properly (better than any 2.1 cheap speakers out there). And thats is sth amazing for such a thin device..... but i want to know why the f it cracks in many occasions :(

I'm going to try to swing by BB this weekend and play with their demo's to see if I can notice any cracking.

Shaun.P
Jun 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
I was wondering if you guys could help me while we are discussing the MBA's speakers.

I have a new 2013 model and have noticed that when watching videos on VLC or flash videos through Safari, the sound sometimes dips in volume then slowly reaches the normal level again. This can happen many times during the one video.

I was wondering if anyone else has been having this problem? I tried to Google it, but doesn't seem to be that well known.

Diversion
Jun 27, 2013, 12:25 PM

I had an Early 2011 MBP and the speakers were good, I'd say they were about the same to my '12 and '13 MBA speakers honestly. I think maybe just the MBP speakers could get louder.

DJTaurus
Jun 27, 2013, 12:28 PM
I was wondering if you guys could help me while we are discussing the MBA's speakers.

I have a new 2013 model and have noticed that when watching videos on VLC or flash videos through Safari, the sound sometimes dips in volume then slowly reaches the normal level again. This can happen many times during the one video.

I was wondering if anyone else has been having this problem? I tried to Google it, but doesn't seem to be that well known.

Ofcourse! Check the youtube video i give some posts back..... sound drops many times.....mine starting at around 0.50 sec..... check yours and report...