PDA

View Full Version : Do Haswells Run Cooler Than Ivy Bridge?

jls095
Jun 27, 2013, 08:00 AM
Are the new Haswells running cooler than Ivy Bridge? What are your experiences so far?

Diversion
Jun 27, 2013, 08:24 AM
Are the new Haswells running cooler than Ivy Bridge? What are your experiences so far?

In ULV form a resounding yes. Apparently when comparing the non-ULV variants.. they are roughly the same and I want to say i've read a few comparisons where the Haswell desktop cpus might have been running hotter than Ivy? But for sure the new ULV runs far cooler.. It seems like Intel really wanted to step it up in that area this year.

Steve121178
Jun 27, 2013, 08:53 AM
Just as hot when under load.

luisito
Jun 27, 2013, 09:00 AM

Yes. My MBA is always cool to the touch.

Why do you think that Haswell can give a longer battery life? Let me explain! Because it uses less energy, and if it uses less energy to do a better job that Ivy, then it is not wasting energy, therefore that energy is not wasted on so much heat, no heat means cooler. (That is Haswell on a nutshell). :)

I've been using it for around ~2 weeks and still wondering if it has a fan, I've never heard it. Take into account that I use adobe flash for youtube and have also watched a couple of 1080p movies (I know I will never get 1080p resolution, but that is a different story), have also transferred around 1 TB of info from an external HD to another (had to admit that it got a little warm).

jls095
Jun 27, 2013, 10:24 AM
Interesting. The reason I asked was that I've seen from personal experience that Haswell desktop CPUs run hotter than comparable Ivys.

flynz4
Jun 27, 2013, 10:44 AM
This is pretty simple. As the battery gets depleted... its stored energy is converted into heat. When the battery if fully depleted... all of the heat has been dissipated.

Comparing a 2013 to a 2012 laptop... The battery has less than 10% higher capacity... which means that over the operating life... only 10% extra total heat will be generated. Close enough to call it parity.

The operating life is approaching 2X as long... the time over which that heat is dissipated.

So... approximately the same capacity... operating over approximately twice the time... by definition... it can only be dissipating (on average) about 50% of the heat.

Derate that a bit... and call it 60% if you like... but there is no physical way that it cannot be running cooler over the life of a battery charge.

/Jim

jls095
Jun 27, 2013, 10:52 AM
This is pretty simple. As the battery gets depleted... its stored energy is converted into heat. When the battery if fully depleted... all of the heat has been dissipated.

Comparing a 2013 to a 2012 laptop... The battery has less than 10% higher capacity... which means that over the operating life... only 10% extra total heat will be generated. Close enough to call it parity.

The operating life is approaching 2X as long... the time over which that heat is dissipated.

So... approximately the same capacity... operating over approximately twice the time... by definition... it can only be dissipating (on average) about 50% of the heat.

Derate that a bit... and call it 60% if you like... but there is no physical way that it cannot be running cooler over the life of a battery charge.

/Jim

I'm not sure how this is relevant to CPU temperature?

Miat
Jun 27, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure how this is relevant to CPU temperature?

Short version:

Haswell uses less power than Ivy to do the same amount of processing.

Lower power use = lower temperature & longer battery life.

All other things being equal.

jls095
Jun 27, 2013, 11:06 AM
Ah I see. Got it

mattferg
Jun 27, 2013, 11:21 AM
Interesting. The reason I asked was that I've seen from personal experience that Haswell desktop CPUs run hotter than comparable Ivys.

Desktops'll run hotter because Iris is considerably more powerful than the equivalent IB 4000. As for ULV, they run about the same if not cooler.

Appledreamer
Jun 27, 2013, 01:51 PM

is this a real question offcourse they are i have had my macbook for 2 weeks now and the fan has not came on yet and i get 12 hours plus battery outta it, it is never warm. i5/4/128