Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Anyone have a problem with the slide to unlock activating by accident while in your pockets? This have happened several times, and when I pull my phone out, it says locked for xx minutes as if I put in wrong pin multiple times.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Anyone have a problem with the slide to unlock activating by accident while in your pockets? This have happened several times, and when I pull my phone out, it says locked for xx minutes as if I put in wrong pin multiple times.

There was another thread on here about that issue with iOS 7. I think Apple needs to up the tolerance (or distance) with Slide To Unlock & Camera.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I think the slide to unlock shouldn't be the whole screen. It needs to be in that one area where is said slide to unlock

Exactly. I've never had a problem with it unlocking in my pocket before iOS 7. Plus if you try swiping only about a third of the way across the screen, it unlocks. I don't know if this was intentional or a bug but I hope they change it.

sankyo

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
That was my thought. Doesn't it take a human finger to actually activate the slide?

Well it can slide against your leg, this actually happened to me in iOS 6 a couple weeks ago, and I was suprised because that doesn't usually happen with iPhones.

But then I hadn't actually locked it.

If someone could explain how this happens when it's actually locked, I'd like to know.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wait, so on iOS 7, you can slide left-to-right anywhere on the lockscreen to unlock the device? They should ditch the "slide to unlock" text in the usual place toward the bottom, then.

It's confusing because you see "slide to unlock" and then an arrow underneath that. That originally made me think that you slid up to unlock -- a la Android. Then I realized that even from the lockscreen, sliding up reveals Control Center.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Happened a few times here, and when phone goes in pocket I put it face towards my body it seems easier to unlock. Back is protected my Otterbox rear cover so bumps are less likely to break it, so I tend to always face the screen to my leg.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Wait, so on iOS 7, you can slide left-to-right anywhere on the lockscreen to unlock the device?

Yes, and it's kind of annoying. As long as you swipe from the left to the right - anywhere - it will register as a slide to unlock movement. No matter if you try near the time, in the middle between the time & unlock bar, or anywhere.

Also swiping up to get the camera sometimes I end up bringing up the control panel which is also a minor annoyance.

22hand

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2009
I have a different scenario. The "slide to unlock" not always work and I need to restart the phone. This happened 5-6 times yesterday. I don't aware of this in beta 1.

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I have been plagued with iOS 7 unlocking in my pocket. I believe that this is due to a low tolerance of sliding WHEN notifications come in.

The next time you get a notification, try sliding anywhere on the screen except the notification. It takes a significant slide to get it to open. (Slide To Unlock, Control Center, and Notification Center all take a strong slide to unlock.) Now barely flick on the notification itself.

Seams like if you barely flick on the notification it unlocks the phone which is leading to A LOT of unlocking in my pocket. Hope that they fix this soon!

Matthew

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I have been plagued with iOS 7 unlocking in my pocket. I believe that this is due to a low tolerance of sliding WHEN notifications come in.

The next time you get a notification, try sliding anywhere on the screen except the notification. It takes a significant slide to get it to open. (Slide To Unlock, Control Center, and Notification Center all take a strong slide to unlock.) Now barely flick on the notification itself.

Seams like if you barely flick on the notification it unlocks the phone which is leading to A LOT of unlocking in my pocket. Hope that they fix this soon!

Matthew

I agree with what you say about notifications.

It's also a problem with the music controls - they are really easy to trigger now you don't have to press the home button twice.

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004

It's also a problem with the music controls - they are really easy to trigger now you don't have to press the home button twice.

I think that not having to hit the home button twice to get to the music controls is a mistake...

Matthew

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

When you are on the lock screen with music controls showing, try pressing the home button once to see if in a second or so the time would appear in place of controls, and hopefully that would at least "lock out" the controls while it's locked.

andrebr

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Having the same problem here, I posted stupid things on my Facebook and I just realise when I got a text message from someone asking about it. The music app the same, it keeps changing the songs so easy :/

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
This happens to me all the time (never happened prior to iOS 7 as far as I can recall, and I've been using iDevices since 2007!)

I usually have my headphones on with the phone in my pocket; every time the screen turns on (new texts, notifications, or when using Siri) it tends to unlock on its own and either change tracks or do some other random stuff. It's highly annoying! If they're going to keep it so that the entire screen is a swipe target for unlocking, they really need to enable the proximity sensor to prevent pocket unlocks. In fact, I seem to remember there being some patent for that, which they filed years ago ... ?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Or maybe they could disable slide-to-unlock when the phone is upside-down? Most people put the phone in their pockets in that orientation, right?

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah happens to me every day... Absolutely obnoxious. Half the time when I pull my phone out of my pocket it's on the home screen or trying to text someone a reply. I have to start getting in the habit of putting my screen facing away from my leg now =/ Or if I'm listening to music and get a message, my ears get blasted from accidental sliding of the volume rocker -_-

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
I had my iPhone erased like this today. Apparently i managed to enter wrong pin 10 times (phone was in my jeans). How the hell it's reacting to the jeans?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Anthony Weiner (aka: Carlos Danger) wannabe mayor of NYC having the same problem every time he pulls it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.