PDA

View Full Version : Wii-Style iPhone Game 'Motion Tennis' Hits the App Store

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/27/wii-style-iphone-game-motion-tennis-hits-the-app-store/)

Rolocule (http://www.rolocule.com/), which debuted its Rolomotion concept back in April (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/17/rolomotion-aims-to-bring-wii-style-gaming-to-apple-tv-and-iphone/), has launched its first game that uses the technology. The Rolomotion software is designed to convert an iPhone or an iPod touch into a motion controller, similar to a Nintendo Wii Remote.

The first game to use the technology, Motion Tennis, hit the App Store this morning. Motion Tennis is meant to be played on the Apple TV using AirPlay Mirroring, where it takes advantage of the iPhone's gyroscope, magnetometer, and accelerometer to detect movement and translate the movements on screen. Like with the Wii Remote, the iPhone serves as a racket in Motion Tennis.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/rolomotion_3.jpg
Motion Tennis should only be purchased by users with an Apple TV with AirPlay functionality, as the game does not work on its own. It plays similarly to the Tennis game in Wii Sports (it is, however, less polished), and although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive to the phone's movements.Key Features:
Swing like a Champion: Get the real feel of tennis as you swing real forehands and backhands by swinging your iPhone/iPod Touch and taking control of your player on TV.

Hitting glory: Hit multiple shots like the groundstrokes, slice and lob, and simultaneously give accurate direction to the ball, just like in real tennis.

Multiplayer: Team up with friends and family by connecting two iPhones wirelessly and play together as doubles partners to beat the opponents.

Tennis fitness: Get an approximate count of calories burnt with each tennis match and track total calories burnt.

The new home of tennis: Choose between Grass, Clay or Synthetic courts along with four difficulty levels to become a tennis master.

Tennis Survivor: Think you can survive this continuous onslaught? Play the survival mode where you cannot make even ONE mistake. Get a highscore and compete in Online leader boards.9Jq-HWiml54
The game requires an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5, or a 5th Generation iPod touch running iOS 6 to play. It also requires a second or third generation Apple TV for AirPlay Mirroring.

Motion Tennis (http://appshopper.com/games/motion-tennis) can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motion-tennis/id614112447?mt=8)]

Article Link: Wii-Style iPhone Game 'Motion Tennis' Hits the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/27/wii-style-iphone-game-motion-tennis-hits-the-app-store/)

aDRock1154
Jun 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
I can't wait to pay $8 and smash my TV :D

SamGabbay
Jun 27, 2013, 12:38 PM
**Swing**

CRACK!

:apple:

negativzero
Jun 27, 2013, 12:40 PM
A cool concept but lag while using airplay means this isn't going to be a real fun game.

Redbeard25
Jun 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
I can't wait to pay $8 and smash my TV :D

WITH my iPhone!

----------

Can you play it with an iPad? WHOOMP.

monaarts
Jun 27, 2013, 12:44 PM
While I agree this seems a little dangerous, it is definetly the most innovative iPhone & AppleTV game thus far. I hope this helps pave the way for more games that utilize AppleTV as a second screen. The iPad being utilized could really make a great replacement for the Wii U. :D

On a side note, this game works on the iPad too apparently - that would be strange to play! haha

star-affinity
Jun 27, 2013, 12:45 PM
That's an expensive pho…err, game controller you have right there.

magiic
Even if this isn't great it's a good start. I am glad to see developers trying stuff like this out. Pretty cool.

tirk
**Swing**

CRACK!

Sob.

Or...

"Now I can justify the upgrade!" :cool:

Smith288
Jun 27, 2013, 12:49 PM
They could make a killing on a cushion case and before each game display an annoying reminder to apply the case and strap to your wrist.

GoCubsGo
Jun 27, 2013, 12:53 PM
A cool concept but lag while using airplay means this isn't going to be a real fun game.

You should try the game and see if there is lag before claiming there will be, don't you think?

I think this is a neat direction for games and if it works well, $7.99 a game isn't bad.

autrefois
Jun 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
You should try the game and see if there is lag before claiming there will be, don't you think?

I think they were going off the article in the first post, which said "although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive[...]". If it's an occasional, very short lag, it's probably not a huge problem (although should be addressed eventually). If it's a long lag, it's frequent, or you never know when it's going to happen, then it's obviously a problem.

Battlefield Fan
Jun 27, 2013, 01:17 PM

I think this is a neat direction for games and if it works well, $7.99 a game isn't bad.

Are you serious? Airplay lags. This game will be no different. You'll just have to time your shots accordingly.

I wonder how many TV's will be ruined by flying iPhones?!?!

outie2k
Jun 27, 2013, 01:36 PM
Are you serious? Airplay lags. This game will be no different. You'll just have to time your shots accordingly.

Or how many flying iPhones are ruined? This isn't a cheap $30 Wiimote and it's most likely the TVs cost less than the iPhones ;)

phpmaven
Jun 27, 2013, 01:49 PM
Cool idea, but as others have already said, people are going to be slamming their iPhones against the wall and the floor and the tv screen. Anybody who has played a Wii knows that if you don't have a wrist strap on, you'll throw the controller across the room in short order. The only way this will even have a chance is if they also come out with a wrist strap contraption of some kind.

Oldschoolers
Jun 27, 2013, 02:15 PM
Wait...it's not free? I've grown so accustomed to freemiums LOL....blah. Can't wait to see it come out, $7.99 is a good price as others have mentioned.

GoCubsGo
Jun 27, 2013, 02:18 PM

I'm serious when it comes to this game and finding out if it still lags. This is a first, isn't it?

giardinop
Jun 27, 2013, 02:19 PM
Expensive consoles? I'm having trouble with the math:

Console $350 + Game $50

AppleTV $100 + iPhone $649 (16Gb) + Game $8

Am I missing something?

Even if you swap the iPhone for the iPod Touch it's still $8 more for this setup.

Ptjones1968
Jun 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
You can get the Wii for around $160 and the tennis game is free with the console.

chimpboy74
Jun 27, 2013, 02:47 PM

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Even if you swap the iPhone for the iPod Touch it's still $8 more for this setup.

I think the assumption is that you already have the iPhone and atv.

jclo
Jun 27, 2013, 03:00 PM
I think they were going off the article in the first post, which said "although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive[...]". If it's an occasional, very short lag, it's probably not a huge problem (although should be addressed eventually). If it's a long lag, it's frequent, or you never know when it's going to happen, then it's obviously a problem.

I definitely noticed some lag while playing, but the game does compensate for this by prompting you to "swing early." There are also settings that can be turned off to cut down on lag, but nothing seemed to eliminate it entirely. That said, even with the small bit of (inevitable) lag, the game was playable.

CTay
Jun 27, 2013, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one that noticed the SUPER clean wire job that was done in the picture within the article. :D

aristotle
Jun 27, 2013, 03:38 PM
This would be better for use with an iPod Touch with that wrist strap thing.

asthamapheo
Jun 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
wow, amazing technology, would definitely buy this awesome app.

nutmac
Jun 27, 2013, 03:46 PM

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Oh come on. This app is clearly geared toward existing iPhone and iPod touch owners. They may need to shell out $100 more for Apple TV (and $8 for the game), but that is still cheaper than buying a new console.

Having said that, $8 seems rather expensive for a simplistic tennis game. I suppose it is priced as such given Apple TV requirement (smaller market). The developer should provide a free version to demonstrate it is playable for those with such setup.

designaholic
Jun 27, 2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it's really hard to setup a console :p Cool direction though. Can definitely see this going somewhere for casual gaming.

otismotive77
Jun 27, 2013, 04:15 PM
seems cool, will surely buy this one, but what if the phone slips from my hand and hits the TV.

aristotle
Jun 27, 2013, 04:17 PM
I have to say that 8 buck is a couple of lattes and I absolutely hate freemium. Freemium must die.

beaniemyman
Jun 27, 2013, 04:57 PM
no thanks, i have a gaming console and it can do much better than this.:D

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jun 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
It's a super fun app - I was on the beta testing team. You should either get a case with a Wii-like wrist strap (there is a button in the app that will re-direct you to a case on Amazon), or have a really strong grip like me. ;)

Although, I wonder if I get it for free...:rolleyes:

rcastley
Jun 27, 2013, 05:45 PM
<for the record I have not downloaded or played this yet but I will as it is Wimbledon week in the UK!>

This it 'thinking outside of the box stuff'!

These people have taken 2 technologies we use daily and combined them! Kudos!

What you have to admire is they have taken all the tech available to them and demonstrated what is possible. OK, it is not perfect (according to the review I have read) but it paves the way for what is possible.

Love the concept! That tiny little black box can be a competitor to the Ouya and Gamesticks of this world by using human interaction to control the gaming experience.

The future is bright, the future is iPhone/iPod + Apple TV + AirPlay :-)

EssentialParado
Jun 27, 2013, 05:45 PM

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Let's use a not so expensive iPod touch and add a few extra games and see how it goes down……

Console $350 + Five Games $50 x 10 = $850

vs

AppleTV $100 + iPod Touch 16GB $229 + Five Games $8 x 10 = $409
OR
Same as above but with most expensive iPod Touch 64GB $399 = $579
OR
Same as above but with an off-contract iPhone 5 16GB $649 = $829

And even that's assuming you don't own either an Apple TV or iDevice already and that all App Store games cost $8.

rcastley
Jun 27, 2013, 05:49 PM
Let's use a not so expensive iPod touch and add a few extra games and see how it goes down……

Console $350 + Five Games $50 x 5 = $600

AppleTV $100 + iPod Touch 16GB $229 + Five Games $8 x 5 = $369

And even that's assuming you don't own either an Apple TV or iDevice already.

Or I already own a TV and utilised the free upgrade with my provider to get my iPhone 5 + sold my Apple TV 2 for a ridiculous profit of $159 and purchased the Apple TV 3 for $99!

negativzero
Jun 27, 2013, 07:45 PM

Airplay lags when mirroring Macs and its even worse with a iPhone connected. Unless Apple solves the lag on the ATV, it will lag forever, ruining the experience.

dazzer21
Jun 28, 2013, 03:02 AM
:d

vajon
Jun 28, 2013, 04:26 AM
I see all the hardcore gamers lining up with their broken iPhones at the apple service after a long night of gaming. :D

Snowshiro
Jun 28, 2013, 07:23 AM

You can clearly see lag in the promotional video.

jfx94
Jun 28, 2013, 08:28 AM
Less polished than Wii tennis. But exciting that more developers are making games that use the Apple TV in creative ways.

Bhatu
Jun 28, 2013, 09:51 AM
Airplay Gaming, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, Accelerometer...
How long will the battery last? o_O

chrisbru
Jun 28, 2013, 10:44 AM
Or I already own a TV and utilised the free upgrade with my provider to get my iPhone 5 + sold my Apple TV 2 for a ridiculous profit of $159 and purchased the Apple TV 3 for $99!

???

Who was dumb enough to buy an Apple TV2 for $159?

jrswizzle
Jun 28, 2013, 11:04 AM
Just want to point out to all you naysayers claiming "Its so much cheaper just to buy a console".....

I also can't fit my console into my messenger bag (with the other stuff I have). An AppleTV on the other hand is compact and easy to carry around. Plus I already carry my phone everywhere I go.

This is only the beginning. And I think a pretty sweet beginning - small portable gaming consoles - better than a handheld, but maybe not quite as good as a regular console.

There's a market for it. Apple is already at the top of the market when it comes to mobile graphics. As they continue to push the envelope, these games will only get better and cleaner (and once they decide to make airplay a wifi direct connection, the lag will go away :D).

----------

???

Who was dumb enough to buy an Apple TV2 for $159?

Probably someone who wanted to JB it when the 3 wasn't jailbreak-able.

autrefois
Jun 28, 2013, 01:29 PM
I definitely noticed some lag while playing, but the game does compensate for this by prompting you to "swing early." There are also settings that can be turned off to cut down on lag, but nothing seemed to eliminate it entirely. That said, even with the small bit of (inevitable) lag, the game was playable.

Thank you for the additional info and first-hand impressions. It's good that they at least warn you in the game that this might be an issue, but it's something that needs to be addressed (and based on what people saying, it sounds like it's mostly if not completely an AppleTV/AirPlay issue).

It is a cool concept & there's a lot of potential with AppleTV.

tommyminahan
Jun 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
Airplay lags when mirroring Macs and its even worse with a iPhone connected. Unless Apple solves the lag on the ATV, it will lag forever, ruining the experience.

If Apple does indeed open the AppleTV up for app/gaming, then I can see it working well.
The lag comes from using a wifi network- i'd imagine if there were APIs built-in for bluetooth and or adhoc wifi, the lag would all but disappear.

jclo
Jun 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
If Apple does indeed open the AppleTV up for app/gaming, then I can see it working well.
The lag comes from using a wifi network- i'd imagine if there were APIs built-in for bluetooth and or adhoc wifi, the lag would all but disappear.

Agreed, if apps were native on the TV and controllers worked via Bluetooth, this issue would be entirely resolved.

Risco
Jun 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
No chance I am buying this, the chance of throwing my phone half way across the living room is far too great..

anthony11
Jun 28, 2013, 07:37 PM
That's an expensive pho…err, game controller you have right there.

Yep, it would be better for it to allow the iPhone to *act* as a game controller instead of *converting* it into one.

star-affinity
Jun 28, 2013, 08:34 PM
Yep, it would be better for it to allow the iPhone to *act* as a game controller instead of *converting* it into one.

:)

ggk
Jun 29, 2013, 07:35 AM
I have used it and I think it's great as a 1st game with this concept. I didn't have any issue with the lag everybody is focusing on, but I'm not a hard gamer and perhaps I'm not that demanding.

You just have to swing a fraction of a second early, as it happens with real tennis (that I play a lot) when you have to prepare your move with some anticipation.

Hitting slices just positioning your iPhone the same way you position the racket in real life, or effectively directing your ball by pointing your iPhone in that direction when your hit is amazing.

I agree with others that I'm risking an expensive phone when using it that way as a controller, but I have a strong grip and I felt comfortable with that.

Overall I think that it's great to see something really new in an ecosystem that has not brought many exciting and disruptive news lately.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 29, 2013, 10:07 AM
Now all we need are cases with wrist straps. $650 iPhone smashing a $2k Sammy TV.

Its Trish
Jul 1, 2013, 01:26 AM
There's a portable cooker that allows you to make grilled cheese sandwiches on the hood of your car. (assuming you recently used the car and engine is still hot)

Cooker = $12
New Car = $22,000

But wait, you already own a car!
So now you get eat grilled cheese for only $12! (plus ingredients)

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Rolocule Games
Jul 6, 2014, 01:39 AM
Now its FREE

Motion Tennis for Apple TV https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motion-tennis/id614112447?mt=8]