Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saleemyas3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I need to take my phone in for a Genius Bar appointment to fix a hardware issue (power button doesn't work). Will it be a problem if I leave iOS7 Beta 2 on there (No UDID) or should I revert back to 6.X and then come back to 7 after they fix it? TIA

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

I think Apple can tell the difference between a hardware issue, like a broken power button vs an iOS 7 issue. I would take mine in if my button broke.
Now I can see if none of their diagnostic software works on iOS 7 then they might ask you to downgrade to iOS6 to diagnose the problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why would they not? There is nothing illegal about having iOS 7 installed and your phone has an issue with it's power button. It's a hardware issue probably under warranty.
Don't recall all the details at the moment, but I was under the impression that developer builds/betas are not (officially) supported.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Don't recall all the details at the moment, but I was under the impression that developer builds/betas are not supported.

I can see that. I edited my post. If needed they might ask the user to downgrade.
The bottom line is I think Apple would use it's brain. If I come in with a cracked screen and need a replacement, it does not matter if I have iOS 6 or 7 on it. The screen is cracked. It's simple as that. Now I doubt they will tell a registered developer to downgrade that cracked iPhone to iOS 6 in order to service it. They might, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I took a phone in for the same problem, and even though it was hardware, they wanted to reset the phone first to make sure it wasn't software (just protocol I guess).

I guess you will be fine if you can restore it in the store, but if you can't, you might be out of luck. Might as well restore it at home first anyways.

If you plan on turning the phone in, you will have to restore it anyways.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I took a phone in for the same problem, and even though it was hardware, they wanted to reset the phone first to make sure it wasn't software (just protocol I guess).

I guess you will be fine if you can restore it in the store, but if you can't, you might be out of luck. Might as well restore it at home first anyways.

If you plan on turning the phone in, you will have to restore it anyways.

That makes sense. If their testing software won't run on iOS 7, then they should tell you to downgrade.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That makes sense. If their testing software won't run on iOS 7, then they should tell you to downgrade.
Or if it's simply their protocol that they are required to follow as part of their employment (whether it makes full rational sense or not).

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
They are told not to even look at a device with an iOS developer beta on it. If you're a developer, they will tell you that there are resources in the Apple Developer portal and support areas for you to use. But they will not, help you with your issue. (Unless they are feeling especially nice that day.)

Also they will more then likely flag you in the system so that if you bring your device in without the iOS 7 beta on it, you may still not get help. (The flag will expire AFTER iOS 7 comes public.)

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I think Apple can tell the difference between a hardware issue, like a broken power button vs an iOS 7 issue. I would take mine in if my button broke.
Now I can see if none of their diagnostic software works on iOS 7 then they might ask you to downgrade to iOS6 to diagnose the problem.

It's not that if there's an issue with iOS 7. I should fix my post to make it more clear. They aren't authorized to work on iOS 7 devices. It's not out yet. They can't work on machines running beta software. I somewhat common knowledge about the Genius Bar (if you're a developer).

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
No matter if it's a hardware issue or not, they won't repair a device running a developer build of iOS.

It wouldn't be repaired; it would be replaced. The iPhone 5 (assuming that's what the OP has) power button is a well-known hardware defect (completely unrelated to any software at all) and they will replace it instantly, no questions asked. I got mine replaced earlier this year and it was jailbroken.

Don't just answer if you only think you know the answer.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
A friend of mine had water damage while running beta 1 and they replaced the device.

It depends -- sometimes you get a genius who is accommodating and willing to overlook the rules, or you might get someone who is strictly by the book. So don't take the chance, and restore to iOS 6 before taking it in.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I need to take my phone in for a Genius Bar appointment to fix a hardware issue (power button doesn't work). Will it be a problem if I leave iOS7 Beta 2 on there (No UDID) or should I revert back to 6.X and then come back to 7 after they fix it? TIA

It will take you 15 minutes to put iOS 6 back on the device.

What's your problem with doing this?

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
They are told not to even look at a device with an iOS developer beta on it. If you're a developer, they will tell you that there are resources in the Apple Developer portal and support areas for you to use. But they will not, help you with your issue. (Unless they are feeling especially nice that day.)

Also they will more then likely flag you in the system so that if you bring your device in without the iOS 7 beta on it, you may still not get help. (The flag will expire AFTER iOS 7 comes public.)

Wrong wrong wrong. Why on earth do you make this stuff up? My brother is an Apple genius and he is sitting here cracking up at your post. Stop saying things if you don't know what you're talking about.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Wrong wrong wrong. Why on earth do you make this stuff up? My brother is an Apple genius and he is sitting here cracking up at your post. Stop saying things if you don't know what you're talking about.

I used to work part time as a genius when I was in university, so please don't feed me that line about your brother.

This is the policy we were told, and I saw it happen and had to explain to customers over and over again.

I'll spin the question back on you, though. Why do you feel the need to make stuff like that up?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even if that might be the case there will still be tons of other geniuses who either don't know any better or think they do know better and for one reason or another (even if it's not an official one, as various people have alluded to it being in many discussions of this nature over the years) still deny working on your phone. These are human beings and everyone is prone to have their own view and mood and deal with things differently despite what might or might not be the correct or even required thing to do. Better safe than sorry.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I used to work part time as a genius when I was in university, so please don't feed me that line about your brother.

This is the policy we were told, and I saw it happen and had to explain to customers over and over again.

I'll spin the question back on you, though. Why do you feel the need to make stuff like that up?

I call BS. Everything you said is untrue.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I call BS. Everything you said is untrue.

The only reason you are saying that is because I called you out on a lie about your brother. Just move on, it's not that hard.

This is policy. As a genius we were told to not deal with the device and to submit a ticket with the UDID in question. Did most geniuses do it? No. What we'd do instead is explain to the customer that it's a developer beta not released to the public and that there is a phone number as well as an email address developers can use located in the developer portal. If the user came back with the device on iOS 5 and the issue still persisted, I would be more then happy to help. My coworkers on the other hand weren't always as nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.