PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn Announces iPhone-Compatible Smart Wristband

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2013, 06:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/27/foxconn-announces-iphone-compatible-smart-wristband/)

Foxconn has announced a new smart wristband that can measure vital signs like respiration and heartbeat, and also check phone calls and Facebook posts, according to a report (http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20130627000079&cid=1206) from the Want China Times.

Terry Gou, the head of Hon Hai Precision Industry -- the name of Foxconn's parent company -- said the company's research groups are looking to add fingerprint identification to the product as well. The device can make suggestions to the wearer on ways to improve their health if vital signs are out of the optimal range.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/NewImage11.pngHon Hai chairman Terry Gou said his company's wireless communications and medical research groups also plan to add new features such as fingerprint identification to the gadget in the future, to help record personal health data.

"With such a device, you can keep your phone in your pocket and simply check all kinds of messages on your watch," Gou told shareholders.Wearable computers are a quickly developing market, with devices like the Nike FuelBand (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/apple-begins-selling-the-nike-fuelband-in-stores-and-online/) -- which Tim Cook wears (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/28/live-tim-cooks-interview-at-d11-conference/) -- and the Fitbit Flex wristband (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/fitbit-flex-activity-tracking-wristband-available-now-for-100/) making inroads with consumers, while prototype devices like Google Glass have captured the attention of tech-savvy types.

Apple is actively developing wearable devices, including a smart watch with a curved glass screen (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/10/nyt-apple-is-working-on-a-curved-glass-smart-watch/). It's been reported that Apple has a team of 100 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/12/apple-has-team-of-100-product-designers-working-on-a-smart-watch/) working on its smart watch project, and that the device's development has moved beyond the experimental phase.

Article Link: Foxconn Announces iPhone-Compatible Smart Wristband (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/27/foxconn-announces-iphone-compatible-smart-wristband/)

flash84x
Jun 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
Do they use this to make sure their factory workers are alive?

komodrone
Jun 27, 2013, 06:12 PM
hold on, let me check my heart rate.
*unlock iPhone with pass code*
*download Foxconn app*
*input iTunes password to download app*
*launch Foxconn app, (Please scan your finger to secure your data)*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*
*120 bpm*

"That's a bit high for resting...innit?"

RJCP
Jun 27, 2013, 06:14 PM
I wonder how many defective iPhones sneaked past their quality control while they were busy with an effin' useless wrist band.

Red Oak
Jun 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

As if "we'll spend whatever it takes" is how you get there

ValSalva
Jun 27, 2013, 06:27 PM
I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

And hardware too. That thing is ugly :eek:

bedifferent
Jun 27, 2013, 06:28 PM
Other features not announced:

- GPS tracking of workers
- Health alert STATS on each worker for quick assembly line replacement
- Tracking worker hours
- Tracking employee stat's
- Electroshock if employee is behind their hourly assembly quota
- "Invisible Fence" partnership for added geo-fencing employees
- Tracking distance to ground level for each employee based on station
- Passbook support for docking meals from pay

*Neck collar coming soon

verniesgarden
Jun 27, 2013, 06:32 PM
no body's said it yet but, this is the best looking smart watch/app I've seen.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 27, 2013, 06:42 PM
All the Foxconn jokes while ignoring that we're all dependent on them. It's not just Apple using them. Most consumer electronics coming out of China use them. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Dell, Sony, and most everyone else us Foxconn. Thats why it was funny when Apple was the only one getting crap for using them as everyone else does too.

mazz0
Jun 27, 2013, 06:42 PM
That's handy, I've often wondered whether I breath or circulate blood.

Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

Exactly!

no body's said it yet but, this is the best looking smart watch/app I've seen.

But it has no screen - how can it be a watch?

Aidyn's X
Jun 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
How is checking Facebook on this any easier than doing so on the app on your phone considering this has no screen and you have to go through an app to see that anyway? Or are they saying it will post to facebook for you? What is it posting? Your pulse?

Solomani
Jun 27, 2013, 06:49 PM

Maybe it's not a watch. It's a "listen".

albusseverus
Jun 27, 2013, 06:51 PM
That thing is ugly :eek:

Hardly a wristband, it looks like a lump of black play-doh!, wrapped around a wrist. And it looks like it weighs a tonne.

(And then…) I can't wait to see how it checks calls and Facebook. Does it read them to you ???

So rather than put the phone to your ear, you put your watch to your ear???

"Check this out"… um. Maybe social media will go from pictures to audio, so people can hear things without checking their screen???

This just gets better all the time.

dennno
Jun 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
It won't have the "Designed by Apple" mark on it.

macs4nw
Jun 27, 2013, 07:12 PM
Is this part of their business diversification strategy that was reported by MR late last month?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1587485

Probably a good move for them, however.....

Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.....

I wouldn't go so far as to ring the alarm bells yet, but definitely something for APPLE to keep in mind, when dealing with FOXCONN, and for the APPLE lawyers to make sure those contracts are 'airtight'.

Timster83
Jun 27, 2013, 07:22 PM

It's not so dissimilar to HTC's beginnings. They started out making carrier-branded devices, before becoming a consumer brand in their own right, probably around the time of WM6.

They only need to start churning out cheap Android devices which are higher specced than the competition. If they do this, there's no reason why they can't cannibalise market share from players like HTC, as well as adding new share from those consumers looking for a cheap first smartphone.

lk400
Jun 27, 2013, 07:48 PM
Double post

esaleris
Jun 27, 2013, 07:49 PM
It's a chubby NIKE Fuelband.

lk400
Jun 27, 2013, 07:50 PM

Do they not have the right to do whatever they see as a solid business strategy? If they have a lot of cash from making things for others, and have learned a lot along the way, why cant they hire who they want, and do what they want? Coming on super strong and pumping a lot of cash into a new business wont turn them into a serious competitor overnight, but give it a few years and it would certainly fast track it. This is kind of what the big Japanese companies did a few decades ago - and it certainly worked for them.

I say good luck to them - maybe this device is not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe in a few generations time.

TMar
Jun 27, 2013, 11:31 PM

And hardware too. That thing is ugly :eek:

That's handy, I've often wondered whether I breath or circulate blood.

Exactly!

It's not so dissimilar to HTC's beginnings. They started out making carrier-branded devices, before becoming a consumer brand in their own right, probably around the time of WM6.

They only need to start churning out cheap Android devices which are higher specced than the competition. If they do this, there's no reason why they can't cannibalise market share from players like HTC, as well as adding new share from those consumers looking for a cheap first smartphone.

Do they not have the right to do whatever they see as a solid business strategy? If they have a lot of cash from making things for others, and have learned a lot along the way, why cant they hire who they want, and do what they want? Coming on super strong and pumping a lot of cash into a new business wont turn them into a serious competitor overnight, but give it a few years and it would certainly fast track it. This is kind of what the big Japanese companies did a few decades ago - and it certainly worked for them.

I say good luck to them - maybe this device is not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe in a few generations time.

So the first time any of you ever heard of Foxconn was when Apple decided to use them to fab devices and in that brilliance decided since you never heard of them they NEVER did their own branded things before. How shortsighted to not be able to see past ignorance.

SvenSvenson
Jun 28, 2013, 12:42 AM
*download Foxconn app*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*
*120 bpm*

"That's a bit high for resting...innit?"

You forgot the step to delete the App, otherwise why would you have to download it each time and without *those* steps, your critique looks a bit weak...

4np
Jun 28, 2013, 03:30 AM
Sounds like a hoax, as Hon Hai's product as seen in the picture is in fact the W/Me from Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/723246920/finally-a-wearable-device-that-can-improve-your-li) (i backed):

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/563/558/963bfda9a714f86b5a46fba4f7965e8e_large.jpg?1367589834

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/600/450/e70826403abda498724c26cd2510809c_large.jpg?1368858871

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/600/451/008274b7d7c4a2f352a8a5d443e779d3_large.jpg?1368858904

mazz0
Jun 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
Is this part of their business diversification strategy that was reported by MR late last month?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1587485

Probably a good move for them, however.....

I wouldn't go so far as to ring the alarm bells yet, but definitely something for APPLE to keep in mind, when dealing with FOXCONN, and for the APPLE lawyers to make sure those contracts are 'airtight'.

Why do you shout company names?

litmag01
Jun 28, 2013, 08:00 AM
Is it me or do all these companies seem to be taking baybysteps with wearable technology. Not that its a bad start, but there has to be something better to do than using app-linked-hardware simply to monitor vital signs and golf-shot distance. Its like the development process is run by healthcare providers training for the PGA.

Oldschoolers
Jun 28, 2013, 10:02 AM

Foxconn and other large CMs already do hardware and software designs, but you don't hear about them because they are branded under other OEMs. This is not a business model they are developing, it's been in use for a long time.

numlock
Jun 28, 2013, 12:02 PM

maybe they should go into the ad business, maps business, online radio etc etc

bedifferent
Jun 28, 2013, 12:32 PM
All the Foxconn jokes while ignoring that we're all dependent on them. It's not just Apple using them. Most consumer electronics coming out of China use them. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Dell, Sony, and most everyone else us Foxconn. Thats why it was funny when Apple was the only one getting crap for using them as everyone else does too.

...and that is a bit frightening. One company supplies the majority of the tech to electronics corporations around the world. Imagine the power and knowledge Foxconn has over the industry.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 28, 2013, 01:10 PM
...and that is a bit frightening. One company supplies the majority of the tech to electronics corporations around the world. Imagine the power and knowledge Foxconn has over the industry.

That they do. Problem is that if we want to continue to enjoy electronics at the prices they're at now, they're about the only option at this point.

komodrone
Jun 28, 2013, 03:20 PM
You forgot the step to delete the App, otherwise why would you have to download it each time and without *those* steps, your critique looks a bit weak...

minus 2 steps. big deal.

still several steps more then counting manually while holding your finger on your wrist.

Risco
Jun 28, 2013, 05:37 PM
Not only are they leaking Apple hardware but it seems they are stealing their ideas as well!

wesk702
Jun 29, 2013, 01:26 AM

Another good reason for the push towards the good ole "Made in the USA."

mdelvecchio
Jun 29, 2013, 09:10 AM
Apple is actively developing wearable devices, including a smart watch with a curved glass screen.

so Cook has confirmed these projects? nope. they're still just rumors...and should be stated as such, not fact.

SvenSvenson
Jun 29, 2013, 02:27 PM
minus 2 steps. big deal.

still several steps more then counting manually while holding your finger on your wrist.

Don't forget the pencil and notepad to keep a record of your heart whilst working out, for example. And the scanner and OCR software to upload your workout heartrate to your PC for a permanent record. Or hadn't you thought of that?

coolspot18
Jun 29, 2013, 05:05 PM

They have to start somewhere.

And what competitive advantage does Apple have in software? iOS and OSX are not in the best competitive shape right now ... thankfully Appel is releasing iOS 7 but Maverick still doesn't bring some long needed improvements to the OSX platform like something as basic as a new Finder!

olowott
Jun 30, 2013, 07:29 AM
everyone wants a bite of this very BIG APPLE:rolleyes:

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 30, 2013, 01:30 PM
Another good reason for the push towards the good ole "Made in the USA."

Not sure everyone can afford that. Be prepared to pay a significant amount more for everything you buy. $100 more for your TV. $50 more for your phone. Some people won't mind but most people aren't going to be cool with it.

It'd be great if it could be done without an increase in price to the buyer but that's not the case. And do we have that many people that want minimum wage jobs? Suppose jobs for illegals?

komodrone
Jul 1, 2013, 01:58 AM
Don't forget the pencil and notepad to keep a record of your heart whilst working out, for example. And the scanner and OCR software to upload your workout heartrate to your PC for a permanent record. Or hadn't you thought of that?

i didn't think of that, I was so dazzled by the feature of checking your facebook posts on a wristband.

SvenSvenson
Jul 1, 2013, 02:30 AM
i didn't think of that, I was so dazzled by the feature of checking your facebook posts on a wristband.

Never slag off new technology based upon what the inventor says it'll do. Other people will have far more wild and useful ideas. Remember when the accelerometer in the Mac was used solely to park the hard drive in event of the laptop being dropped? Then along cam 'MacSabre', then the accelerometer in the iPhone...

wesk702
Jul 1, 2013, 01:30 PM
Not sure everyone can afford that. Be prepared to pay a significant amount more for everything you buy. $100 more for your TV. $50 more for your phone. Some people won't mind but most people aren't going to be cool with it.

It'd be great if it could be done without an increase in price to the buyer but that's not the case. And do we have that many people that want minimum wage jobs? Suppose jobs for illegals?

No doubt about that. A geek can dream right?:p

komodrone
Jul 1, 2013, 05:06 PM
Never slag off new technology based upon what the inventor says it'll do. Other people will have far more wild and useful ideas. Remember when the accelerometer in the Mac was used solely to park the hard drive in event of the laptop being dropped? Then along cam 'MacSabre', then the accelerometer in the iPhone...

who said the sudden motion sensor was crap? it's one of the most useful things when it first came out in the mac.

inscrewtable
Jul 1, 2013, 11:26 PM
a new smart wristband that can measure vital signs

It appears that people are so brain dead these days they need to check their wrist device to tell whether they are still alive.

SvenSvenson
Jul 2, 2013, 08:42 AM
who said the sudden motion sensor was crap? it's one of the most useful things when it first came out in the mac.

I never said it was crap; I used it as an example of people taking an idea (the drop sensor) and using it for something that the inventor never imagined. (A lightsabre-simulator).

Thus, when Foxconn say "Oh, you can check your heart-rate with it", you can be sure that someone else will come up far far better and imaginative uses for it.

komodrone
Jul 2, 2013, 02:32 PM
I never said it was crap; I used it as an example of people taking an idea (the drop sensor) and using it for something that the inventor never imagined. (A lightsabre-simulator).

Thus, when Foxconn say "Oh, you can check your heart-rate with it", you can be sure that someone else will come up far far better and imaginative uses for it.

I didn't say checking your heart-rate with it was crap, I said checking your Facebook posts on your wristband is crap.

SvenSvenson
Jul 3, 2013, 01:18 AM
I didn't say checking your heart-rate with it was crap, I said checking your Facebook posts on your wristband is crap.

Actually, you implied that checking your heart rate was a stupid use :

*download Foxconn app*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*

(but you weakened your argument by saying that you'd have to DL the Foxconn app every time).

but my point stands - people will find much better uses for a smartwatch than checking heartrate and updating Facebook.

komodrone
Jul 3, 2013, 04:32 PM
Actually, you implied that checking your heart rate was a stupid use :

(but you weakened your argument by saying that you'd have to DL the Foxconn app every time).

but my point stands - people will find much better uses for a smartwatch than checking heartrate and updating Facebook.

you're assuming.
thanks for playing.

SvenSvenson
Jul 4, 2013, 06:11 AM
hold on, let me check my heart rate..

Actually, you didn't imply - you stated :-)

otismotive77
Jul 5, 2013, 01:28 PM
wristbands are awesome and nike is the king of wristbands, nuff said.

kdarling
Dec 29, 2013, 06:00 PM

As already noted, this is how HTC got started.

Foxconn actually has even more reason to strike out on their own: Apple has led the way to Foxconn making ever lower profit margins while manufacturing for others. Foxconn would make more profit selling their own production.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software.

Well, perhaps not overnight. But they have to start somewhere.

Just like how Apple hired cellular engineers and thought that almost overnight they'd become a player in phones. Or how they bought a fingerprint sensor company. Or a capacitive touch gesture company.

NAGESHGOLLAMUDI
Dec 30, 2013, 05:46 AM
We are adjusted to the Time Available in mobile to check the time .But using smart wristband ,one can easily perform various activities which mobile can not
do example health of the body can be checked continuously. One more advantage is accessing other movers calender and based on that communicating with thin the distance.you can google for above
product.