PDA

View Full Version : Low brightness settings - how are you people managing?

thelookingglass
Jun 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
I see tons of replies around here with people claiming their brightness settings are set at 50% or lower. How is that possible, unless you are perpetually indoor in dim lighting? 50% in any space with decent lighting is way too dim. Am I missing something here?

humanliberty
Jun 27, 2013, 07:32 PM
I hardly go below 4 clicks (75%) from 100% either. Not sure what these people are up to.

Mrbobb
Jun 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
Don't worry about what others do. Set brightness to YOUR comfort level.

Between 60-85% nomnal here if it makes u feel better. Once in a blue moon I wake up in the middle of the night and I forgot to do something, and my eyes there will take 40%, but soon after say 10 minutes of that and I have to increase it to 60.

thelookingglass
Jun 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
Don't worry about what others do. Set brightness to YOUR comfort level.

Between 60-85% nomnal here if it makes u feel better. Once in a blue moon I wake up in the middle of the night and I forgot to do something, and my eyes there will take 40%, but soon after say 10 minutes of that and I have to increase it to 60.

Really? Set brightness to MY comfort level? Now there's a thought! And to think, here I was adjusting my brightness level to whatever I thought OTHER people who weren't even using my computer would want. ;)

Jefe's MacAir
Jun 27, 2013, 10:33 PM
W/ my mid 2011 I was near the max brightness under most conditions. I would lower it a bit when I had no AC to help conserve power.

The 2013 I start about 1-3 clicks below full and it 'seems' as if the screen warms up and increases in brightness or I'm adjusting and I end up near 50%. A little higher in my office under fluorescence a bit lower at home w/ con-descent lighting a about 1/3rd brightness w/ just ambient light from the TV.

Very different experiences between the two model years. The 2013 is an LG. Not sure on the 2011. The 2013 just seems to work 'better' at a lower setting. Not that it's the same brightness w/ different settings, more like the 2013 is more usuable at the lower setting than the 2011. It's not a huge difference but I did notice.

filmbuff
Jun 27, 2013, 11:00 PM
How is that possible, unless you are perpetually indoor in dim lighting? 50% in any space with decent lighting is way too dim. Am I missing something here?

You're on Macrumors. Everyone is posting from their parents' basement.

I usually use full brightness -3 clicks indoors.

thelookingglass
Jun 27, 2013, 11:04 PM

:D

OK, extremely small sample size, but interesting to hear nonetheless. Still curious to see how people get by on less than 50% brightness in a decently lit room.

racer1441
Jun 27, 2013, 11:26 PM
I never go over 50%. It's more than enough for me. Anything else is almost painfully bright to me.

DeltaFlyer
Jun 27, 2013, 11:29 PM
indoor, I do around 60-70%.

thelookingglass
Jun 28, 2013, 12:16 AM
I never go over 50%. It's more than enough for me. Anything else is almost painfully bright to me.

Care to explain? Are you usually indoors with dim lighting? Sensitive to light in general?

happyslayer
Jun 28, 2013, 01:46 AM
I also usually have my Air at 50% or less normally. I really do find it too bright much higher. I do usually use it indoors and more often at night than during the day. So that is probably why. If I were outside, I would set it higher I'm sure.

Of course I live in Phoenix and it's going to be 119 F tomorrow so I won't be using it outside anytime soon :)

And, I am what seems to be the typical computer guy, (at least per my observations) and I prefer dimly lit rooms.

ValSalva
Jun 28, 2013, 07:06 AM

I resent that statement! I use five clicks from the least bright setting but that's probably because it's particularly dark in my grandparent's basement ;)

racer1441
Jun 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
Care to explain? Are you usually indoors with dim lighting? Sensitive to light in general?

No to both. I just prefer the setting at that level. I'll even work outside on a porch most days.

Never had a issue.

ch900712
Jun 28, 2013, 07:29 AM
well if you live in the UK you would be suprised at how dark it is outside even during the summer the sun rarely shines =\

it depends where you live I guess.