PDA

View Full Version : Dead 2013 Macbook Air

OregonSasquatch
Jun 27, 2013, 08:42 PM
Hello,

I was web browsing this morning when my laptop froze and then immediately rebooted. During the reboot, panic kernel information scrolled across the Apple logo boot screen. The computer would fail to boot and keep restarting. I held down the power key and tried to reboot. A beeping noise could be heard and it wouldn't startup. After numerous tries I was finally able to get the computer into safe mode. I backed up my files and rebooted. Everything seemed ok. Then I shutdown. After that, the computer would no longer turn on. No beeps, no screen, nothing.

The genius at the Apple Store said "engineering wants to capture this device". They took my computer and said they would replace it. No stores in the Portland area had my custom order configuration (8 gb ram, 1.7 i7, 256gb, 13"). He looked for some 512gb computers, but those were unavailable as well. My choice was...they could order me a new one with my current specs + Applecare OR wait for a fully-loaded 13" to arrive for stock, which they would set aside for me (no Applecare).

I went ahead and had them order me a new one from China and took the Applecare. Fantastic customer service, but I am without my laptop for a week.

Thank you for taking care of me Apple.

OregonSasquatch
Jun 27, 2013, 09:05 PM
Also, I posted some photos of the new store going in:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1603301

The MS store opened last week just a block or two away.

iterva
Jun 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
My choice was...they could order me a new one with my current specs + Applecare OR wait for a fully-loaded 13" to arrive for stock, which they would set aside for me (no Applecare).

I went ahead and had them order me a new one from China and took the Applecare. Fantastic customer service, but I am without my laptop for a week.

Thank you for taking care of me Apple.

Well, obviously the fact it died sucks. But hey, you got IMO great options to choose from.
And you chose wisely.. Applecare is great for the extra peace of mind it gives (at least for me). :)

SusanK
Jun 27, 2013, 09:26 PM
Sorry your new MBA died but so pleased Apple went the extra mile to accommodate you. Please post back when the replacement arrives.

Thanks

OregonSasquatch
Jun 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
Haha, thank you for your sympathy. When it initially crashed I was worried that I may not be able to retrieve my files. However, I wasn't worried about the hardware because I knew Apple would replace it ASAP.

Luckily I got my files and they gave me a deluxe choice for my troubles.

OregonSasquatch
Jun 27, 2013, 10:03 PM
Well, obviously the fact it died sucks. But hey, you got IMO great options to choose from.
And you chose wisely.. Applecare is great for the extra peace of mind it gives (at least for me). :)

Yeah, the salesperson wasn't happy that it died and was frustrated that they couldn't give me a 512GB fully-loaded model on the spot. I understand there are duds in the electronics world that get through inspection. What matters is how the company responds when it happens. :apple: Although I was inconvenienced, I walked away a happy/satisfied customer.

Pinkie Pie
Jun 27, 2013, 10:17 PM
"engineering wants to capture this device"

did they throw a Poké Ball at it? :p