PDA

View Full Version : Dual 867 Windtunnel

Dane D.
Nov 8, 2005, 10:42 AM
Anybody else use these? The Dual 867 Windtunnel I maintain at work is nothing but a headache. Of all the Macs I have used and maintain this one is the absolute worst.

yellow
Nov 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
I have a Qwoosh at home. A Quicksilver '01 (since) 867MHz. And yes, it's loud as hell. However, it's much louder now that I've upgraded it quite a bit.

Problematic? No, not so much. And I've not had many problems with the other Quicksilvers that I support. Many more problems with the Powerbooks then the Powermacs.

Crawn2003
Nov 8, 2005, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I maintain one for a local high school media club. It's a pain in the you know what. The firewire on the motherboard has fried out twice now and having to replace the motherboard was big $$$$$$. Not to mention how loud/hot it would get.

The last time that motherboard's firewire went out I settled for a $30 firewire card which is working fine and the whole system is running far better then it used to.

What's nice though is that the school is getting a state grant for a G5 dual-dual core (quad) so hopefully that goes through and the dual 867 can just be a file server for them.

~Crawn

mchendricks
Nov 8, 2005, 11:05 AM
I have one and I love it! I bought it new in 2002. I changed the power supply to quiet it down (Apple replacement program), but other than that, I can't complain. ZERO problems. I've added memory, 2 additional HDs, another DVD drive, and several cards. I've even changed the graphics card to the ATI 9600. This thing keeps going strong. I'm running 10.4.3. I'll have 4 or 5 apps running and it does everything I need. As much as I would like a new quad G5, I can't see getting one as this dual 867 still gets the job done.

Mike

milkybrain
Nov 8, 2005, 11:57 AM
I have a G4 Dual 867Mhz from New about 3years ago. It is loud and i did do the replacement of the power supply and fan offer. I found that the loudest thing in it was the stock Hard Drive that came with it, made a whinning sound. Swapped it with a seagate 150GB, much quieter. Up the RAM to 1.75GB. Added a Belkin USB 2.0 pci card, Pioneer DVD-rw DVR-108. ATI Radeon 9000 pro. 17" Apple Studio Display CRT.

All running fine with 10.4.3 on it. Had no probs. Runs "Studio 8" "CS 2" "Final Cut Studio" fine. only prob is it really cant do HD video or run "motion" on it.

Going to Upgrade to a G5 Quad with 23"ACD. So will be selling soon.

Dane D.
Nov 8, 2005, 12:53 PM
Could my problems stem from the fact that it boots in OS 9.2.2 and not OS 10.x.x? We still use QuarkXPress 4.11. That program is the one that always locks it up. Our other older G4's(450, dual 450, 467) run OS 9.2.2 and hardly ever crash. Before everyone says anything about upgrade, my hands are tied. The management refuses to upgrade and with every month that passes we fall further behind. I have set-up two of the G4s with 10.2.8, installed on additional internal HD. The RAM in these machines are 640MB on two of them and 896MB on the other. The RAM in the 867 is 1.5GB. Will upgrading to OS 10.x.x be problematic? I know cost of software is going to asked of me, but what about the computers themselves?
Thanks, a frustrated Mac guy.

Jimong5
Nov 8, 2005, 01:08 PM
Could my problems stem from the fact that it boots in OS 9.2.2 and not OS 10.x.x?

I have one, and i didn't bother with the power supply thing (never really bothered me) and i think that may be part of the problem. In OS9, my powermac would sometimes decide its getting too hot, and ramp up the big fan to full speed while I was playing classic UT (first time it happened it sounded like an engine taking off)

but mine is also heavily upgraded, but has been pretty solid these last 3 years, but those quad G5s sure are tempting... :(