PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine backup from a different machine?

mobiousblack
Jun 28, 2013, 04:45 AM
So I sold my retina MacBook Pro a few days before WWDC thinking they would announce the new ones with haswell, as we all know they didn't and now I'm without a Macbook lol.

So after much contemplation I decided to buy a MacBook Air to hold me off until they announce the rmbp 15inch with haswell.

I have a time machine backup that I created in my retina MacBook Pro, can I restore it to my new air once I get it? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question because I never used time machine before and the rmbp was my first Macbook.

Bear
Jun 28, 2013, 06:53 AM

I have a time machine backup that I created in my retina MacBook Pro, can I restore it to my new air once I get it? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question because I never used time machine before and the rmbp was my first Macbook.You don't want to do a restoration. You want to do a data migration.

When you boot a new Mac for the first time, it asks if you would like to import/migrate data. This is where you would copy the data off your Time Machine backup.

fongyuen
Jun 28, 2013, 09:33 AM
agreed with above post cause i just did the same thing recently. actually time machine wouldn't let me restore from the backup of another machine, but using migration assistant I was able to bring everything (data, settings, etc.) over and basically everything is back to the way it was on my other machine.

mobiousblack
Jun 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
Alright thanks everyone I will make sure I use migration assistant.