PDA

View Full Version : Actually a bigger battery jump in 2013 MBA than we think?

amitdoc2b
Jun 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
From my understanding, the 2012 MBA had its battery tested by Apple at 50% brightness and received 5 and 7 hour battery-life for the 11" and 13" MBA, respectively.

The 2013 MBA had its battery tested by Apple at 75% brightness and received 9 and 12 hour battery-life for the 11" and 13" MBA, respectively.

So the actual battery jump is not 5 to 9 hours for the 11" and 7 to 12 hours for the 13", but actually much higher for each considering stricter testing was used at higher brightness levels this year?

mattferg
Jun 28, 2013, 12:31 PM
From my understanding, the 2012 MBA had its battery tested by Apple at 50% brightness and received 5 and 7 hour battery-life for the 11" and 13" MBA, respectively.

The 2013 MBA had its battery tested by Apple at 75% brightness and received 9 and 12 hour battery-life for the 11" and 13" MBA, respectively.

So the actual battery jump is not 5 to 9 hours for the 11" and 7 to 12 hours for the 13", but actually much higher for each considering stricter testing was used at higher brightness levels this year?

Yes.

/thread

jdechko
Jun 28, 2013, 12:38 PM
The new tests more accurately depict real-world usage. More like the tests that the review sites use. Not that people don't use their computers at 50% brightness, but I'm sure 75% is more common.

amitdoc2b
Jun 28, 2013, 12:43 PM
The new tests more accurately depict real-world usage. More like the tests that the review sites use. Not that people don't use their computers at 50% brightness, but I'm sure 75% is more common.

I agree with you, but my point wasn't about what's more common.. but the fact that the battery is actually double enduring compared to last year rather than 'almost' double. In other words, the 2013 13" MBA battery is not 5 hours better than the 2012 MBA, but actually around 7 hours better than the 2012 MBA if both models are tested the same exact way Apple tested the battery last year (or if both models were tested the same exact way Apple tested the battery this year).

filmbuff
Jun 28, 2013, 12:57 PM
Yes. Everybody agrees with you. Battery life on the new macs is good.

jdechko
Jun 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
I agree with you, but my point wasn't about what's more common.. but the fact that the battery is actually double enduring compared to last year rather than 'almost' double. In other words, the 2013 13" MBA battery is not 5 hours better than the 2012 MBA, but actually around 7 hours better than the 2012 MBA if both models are tested the same exact way Apple tested the battery last year (or if both models were tested the same exact way Apple tested the battery this year).

I absolutely agree (sorry if it seems like I didn't in my other post). If they had kept the same test parameters, we might be getting 14-15 hours of quoted time. That certainly lines up with what we've seen from other reviewers.

But Apple has changed the tests to the point where tested time approximately equals real-world usage. And that's a good thing, in my opinion.

kodeman53
Jun 28, 2013, 05:07 PM
I absolutely agree (sorry if it seems like I didn't in my other post). If they had kept the same test parameters, we might be getting 14-15 hours of quoted time. That certainly lines up with what we've seen from other reviewers.

Might? Set your brightness at 50% and you will get 14-15 hours, assuming your use of the MBA matches Apple's tests.

Booji
Jun 28, 2013, 08:51 PM
Yes, and it might be even better on Mavericks!

jdechko
Jun 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
Might? Set your brightness at 50% and you will get 14-15 hours, assuming your use of the MBA matches Apple's tests.

I said might because a) I don't have an Air to test with and b) the use case is going to vary widely based on just about every little detail you can think of.

In the end, there are many different ways to get extra battery life. I'm completely stoked about this + Mavericks. I hope that with some minor tweaking, the 11" will hit 11-12 when 10.9 comes out.

Booji
Jun 29, 2013, 02:26 AM
classic Apple - under-promise and over-deliver!