PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Debuts New Conversational Content Guide 'Max' for PS3, Coming to iPad Next

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2013, 01:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/28/netflix-debuts-new-conversational-content-guide-max-for-ps3-coming-to-ipad-next/)

Netflix today announced (http://blog.netflix.com/2013/06/let-max-be-your-netflix-guide-on-ps3.html) the release of Max, a personal content assistant and guide that the company calls the "child of Siri and HAL 9000." Max is designed to help users choose movies and television shows to view, and he does so using personal tastes.

Max asks a user questions about mood and movie viewing preferences in order to come up with a suggestion. He also uses Netflix's algorithms to predict content that a particular user might enjoy and plays a number of "games" to make selections.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/max.jpg
One of the experiences Max offers is called the "ratings game," where you pick a genre to fit your mood and then rate a few titles on the familiar Netflix five star scale.

Sometimes, when Max feels particularly confident, he will offer a fun, personalized suggestion after asking only one simple question. Here Max asks you to pick between two highly specific genres that are personalized and use the very detailed tags we have on all of the shows and movies that are available on Netflix.

Other times, when intoxicated by past success, Max will get a little cocky and offer a suggestion right away, no questions required. The catch...this is a mystery suggestion and you'll just have to press play and trust him.zjHeOGwwMek
While Max is currently only available as a beta for PlayStation 3 users, Netflix says that if the experiment turns out to be successful, Max will be available on other devices in the future, "likely the iPad next."

Article Link: Netflix Debuts New Conversational Content Guide 'Max' for PS3, Coming to iPad Next (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/28/netflix-debuts-new-conversational-content-guide-max-for-ps3-coming-to-ipad-next/)

mrxak
Jun 28, 2013, 01:17 PM
Is that you, Clippy?

CrazyForApple
Jun 28, 2013, 01:20 PM
Siri and Max are going to get married

thatsfinebut
Jun 28, 2013, 01:32 PM

I agree. I've been getting to know the new male version of Siri, and I think he would get along great with Max. They're both so lighthearted.

autrefois
Jun 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
Other times, when intoxicated by past success, Max will get a little cocky and offer a suggestion right away, no questions required.

Giving random movie suggestions when intoxicated? Sounds just like my friend actually.

HMI
Jun 28, 2013, 01:44 PM
Netflix can't generally find things I like now.
I'm not one to watch only shows that I already know I would be interested in.
I tend to watch things occasionally that I already know I won't like or enjoy, but specifically to learn something new or just to see how they're made.

The result is a lot of crappy recommendations for things I wont like based on things that I was interested in learning about in the past.

Of course, I never rate anything I watch because I don't want to be limited by a few select interests.

Netflix should have a toggle for recommendations based on actual interests vs recommendations based on what you've actually seen before. I would like to switch back and forth from my known interests to see what programs may expand my understanding, even if they aren't my true interests or remotely something that I would choose to watch for casual passive entertainment

Plutonius
Jun 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
What if you want to watch a movie that was just released to video ? Does Max say pfft :D. Netflix is great for older content but not good for newer content (especially movies). I love Netflix but would rather have them spending their money on content instead of Max.

Bevz
Jun 28, 2013, 01:50 PM
Meh... Give me multiple user profiles and then I'll be interested.

nagromme
Jun 28, 2013, 02:01 PM
Sure, why not?

But please just make it an additional option in the existing iOS Netflix app. I hate it when a company makes you install multiple apps to use different aspects of the same service.

ConCat
Jun 28, 2013, 02:04 PM
If this works well, we'll all love it. If it doesn't, we'll all hate it.

TsMkLg068426
Jun 28, 2013, 02:14 PM
Ehh, instead I think Netflix should be working on getting licenses for more movies and TV shows.

Gasu E.
Jun 28, 2013, 02:14 PM
I agree. I've been getting to know the new male version of Siri, and I think he would get along great with Max. They're both so lighthearted.

The "mystery" recommendation always seems to end up as "Brokeback Mountain." Hmmm...

TsMkLg068426
Jun 28, 2013, 02:55 PM
The "mystery" recommendation always seems to end up as "Brokeback Mountain." Hmmm...

LOL! Netflix thinks your gay hahaha!

milo
Jun 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
How about they just release the multiple user queues they announced with much hype months ago?

Schmitty11
Jun 28, 2013, 03:27 PM
that the company calls the "child of Siri and HAL 9000." Max is designed to help users choose movies and television shows to view, and he does so using personal tastes.

You want Siri to marry her kid? Creepy.

CodexMonkey
Jun 28, 2013, 03:54 PM
Why, on the video, does Max say "I have got something awesome here for you" when the on-screen text says "I have got something awesome for you here"..?

Can Max not read his own writing..?

aardwolf
Jun 28, 2013, 04:42 PM
A major problem I have with Netflix suggestions is that my wife and I like to watch Post-apocalyptic SciFi, but my 4-year-old likes princesses.

Most streaming services that offer suggestions (Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, iTunes) can't seem to separate us… even though we didn't rate them.

lisster
Jun 28, 2013, 04:50 PM
child of Siri and HAL 9000.

So it won't be able to understand me and then kill me when i try to turn it off :P
Yeah great idea netflix!

madcran
Jun 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
It sounds like Ron Howard. I've been catching up on Arrested Development and that voice sounds eerily similar. It would make sense that Netflix hired him after funding the last season of AD.

mdelvecchio
Jun 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
It sounds like Ron Howard. I've been catching up on Arrested Development and that voice sounds eerily similar. It would make sense that Netflix hired him after funding the last season of AD.

it's not him. besides, Howard is a famous top-tier director, he's not schlepping around us a spokes-voice for an internet recommendation service.

seamer
Jun 28, 2013, 07:05 PM
It sounds cool, but like someone else said I'd prefer user profiles first. My kid keeps polluting my choices; Now I have a wonderful mix of Ip Man 2 and lots, and lots, and lots, of Nick/Disney offerings. Yay.

a0me
Jun 28, 2013, 09:02 PM
Is that you, Clippy?

Exactly. This is skeuomorphism at its worst.
Does anyone actually like having fake "conversations" with these "virtual assistants"? For movies and TV shows, using websites like Jinni (http://www.jinni.com/) sounds way more effective without all the annoying interface.

hornstar
Jun 28, 2013, 09:48 PM
Max was working on my PS3 a few months ago. It was fun. Kind of like a 'you don't know Jack' style announcer that suggests a movie based on questions. We had a lot of fun with it. It went away and my wife and I were bummed. Glad to see its coming back

ThunderSkunk
Jun 29, 2013, 12:15 AM
Well that's cute. Something no ones been asking for, while nothing's been done about the basic big complaints everyone's been asking for for years.

What would make the biggest improvement to the Netflix experience?
A "remote" mode to the iOS app, so you can use your iOS device as an actually functional (!) remote while watching netflix movies on the Apple TV or Mac. It should browse titles, manage your queue, read & write comments, leave ratings, and control playback, at a minimum. Create it to work with a companion app for OS X so we don't have to use bloody microsoft silverlight in safari to stream video, or type searches in one letter at a time with arrow keys.

Then tie in social clucking services so people can yak movies at their friends. THEN start going crazy with AI and cyborgs and whatnot. But please cover the basics first.

czeano
Jun 29, 2013, 01:48 AM
How about they fix the missing metadata (director, full cast, cinematographer, composer, year, studio/producers, etc.) and make it usably SEARCHABLE on platforms besides the Searchlight interface, first?

I don't care what content my friends give four stars, I want to see other movies made by the people responsible for whatever I just watched. The IOS one won't let you search by anything but title. Come on.

blasto2236
Jun 29, 2013, 08:43 AM
What if you want to watch a movie that was just released to video ? Does Max say pfft :D. Netflix is great for older content but not good for newer content (especially movies). I love Netflix but would rather have them spending their money on content instead of Max.

Ehh, instead I think Netflix should be working on getting licenses for more movies and TV shows.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? I highly doubt Netlfix works on only one thing at a time, and their programmers are not responsible for getting content licenses. There are some legitimate criticisms of the service in this thread. These are not those legitimate criticisms.

Does anyone actually like having fake "conversations" with these "virtual assistants"? For movies and TV shows, using websites like Jinni (http://www.jinni.com/) sounds way more effective without all the annoying interface.

I don't think you know what skeuomorphism means.

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
Is that you, Clippy?

Really, the best comment here.

----------

I don't think you know what skeuomorphism means.

Clearly. I think this is about to be one of the most overused words in tech. It'll be like "robust." :D

I'm not interested in this feature. I don't think I need help finding content on Netflix. I need help sifting through some terrible watch instantly crap.

stompy
Jun 29, 2013, 09:17 AM
Is that you, Clippy?

The demo is basically an impersonation of You Don't Know Jack. A vile and wretched impersonation, but you can't blame a geek for trying. No, I take that back: you can.

neuropsychguy
Jun 29, 2013, 11:54 AM
Is that you, Clippy?

It looks like you are making a joke, good start. Would you like help with more?

garya73
Jun 29, 2013, 04:57 PM

Agreed. Let's start with all the content they lost earlier this year. I was going to subscribe, but after they gave up 1,400 titles, no thanks.

RobNYC
Jun 30, 2013, 08:03 AM
Has this thing even rolled out yet on the PS3? I haven't seen it show up on mine.

bwillwall
Jun 30, 2013, 12:33 PM
Is it really necessary for the thing to talk? Let alone having it talk like THAT in being so goofy and conversational. I mean, it's just sort of like a childish game version of iTunes genius. That being said I would likely try this if it comes out for iOS as I often don't know what to choose when browsing Netflix.

thefourthpope
Jun 30, 2013, 03:20 PM
I love the idea of suggestions based on mood. That's something I wish Pandora (and all the Pandora-esque alternatives) offered. That's especially useful in my house, where we watch some kiddie shows for my 2-year old but don't really want those to form all the Netflix suggestions for us later.

omenatarhuri
Jul 1, 2013, 03:18 AM
This was painful to watch. Besides Netflix already gives you recommendations in a more elegant way.

What's the point?

dragje
Jul 1, 2013, 07:55 AM
The only think Netflix lacks, is a decent amount of 'good' movies.

CGagnon
Jul 1, 2013, 08:41 AM
LOL! Netflix thinks your gay hahaha!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

----------

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

tokyopunk
Jul 1, 2013, 09:39 AM

no logic in the first part of your comment. If you know what you want to watch, then select what you want to watch instead of using Max. You do understand its a recommendation engine for those that need a little help with their selection.
I do agree their content sucks in SUPER ways.

dernhelm
Jul 1, 2013, 01:21 PM
I must be in the Netflix target audience, because I can almost always find something I'd like to watch. Some shows I like (Castle) simply aren't available for streaming, but I can get the DVDs for those as I need. I do get there would be a lot of people who aren't into the things I like, and may find Netflix wanting for content, but honestly, just don't subscribe to Netflix in that case. I'm sure they'd love to have everything available for everyone, but corporate greed on the part of the networks is probably the biggest issue in that regard.

In so far as Max is concerned, I'll probably try it pretty soon (we watch Netflix thorough a PS3 onto our big screen TV downstairs). It looks fun for those days when you want to watch something new on Netflix, but you just don't know what to try.

cioapps
Jul 1, 2013, 01:53 PM
I can actually see this working. Even if its a simple "tag"ged system and not crazy algorithms it could work. Example is something like the movie Jaws, I can see 50 tags that would help me find it..

marty1980
Jul 1, 2013, 03:51 PM
I've had Max on my PS3's Netflix since early 2012.

I've tried using a couple times, but really I find it quicker and easier to just browse the categories I'm in the mood for.

Max will give you a choose this or that and go from there based on your previous watching. It's okay, but your forced to choose from what you're presented with.

So if Max suggests Action or Drama and you're in the mood for a comedy; you're out of luck unless you start over and he gives you that option.

I haven't used Max in a few months, so they may have changed this. I doubt it, though. It's probably the same.

KTF
Jul 1, 2013, 08:00 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/28/netflix-debuts-new-conversational-content-guide-max-for-ps3-coming-to-ipad-next/)

Netflix today announced (http://blog.netflix.com/2013/06/let-max-be-your-netflix-guide-on-ps3.html) the release of Max, a personal content assistant and guide that the company calls the "child of Siri and HAL 9000." Max is designed to help users choose movies and television shows to view, and he does so using personal tastes.

Max asks a user questions about mood and movie viewing preferences in order to come up with a suggestion. He also uses Netflix's algorithms to predict content that a particular user might enjoy and plays a number of "games" to make selections.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/max.jpg)
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zjHeOGwwMek)
While Max is currently only available as a beta for PlayStation 3 users, Netflix says that if the experiment turns out to be successful, Max will be available on other devices in the future, "likely the iPad next."

Article Link: Netflix Debuts New Conversational Content Guide 'Max' for PS3, Coming to iPad Next (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/28/netflix-debuts-new-conversational-content-guide-max-for-ps3-coming-to-ipad-next/)netflix content it's a joke pure crap!