Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
As Al Gore said, "its hot out", looks like Haswell is too....

"even at stock speeds, [retail chips] are running hotter than Ivy Bridge or Haswell samples". The firm said that retail chips are "around 15°C" hotter than pre-production samples

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/382267/intel-haswell-hotter-and-slower-than-expected#ixzz2XY2Q0gBX

i would not let this put anyone off.....i am have been on my macbook air for hours now and its sitting at 37 degrees the fans have not even been on and i have had it 2 weeks. this is not going to be an issue for the at least the normal user. Haswell runs cool and smooth with great power saving and is as fast as last years model if not faster at a lower clock, thats a great advancement. well done intel. :)

somuchwater

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
That's referring to desktop chips, which when tested at Anandtech, did run hotter than Ivy Bridge.

Mobile chips seem to run at lower clock speeds to get the same performance, consumer less power, so the heat thing doesn't seem to apply. As many on here have said, the i5 model seems to run quite cool.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
The article is correct, but it is referring to the Desktop chips. The chipset in the Air is the ULV version and it runs cooler than Ivy Bridge.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
i would not let this put anyone off.....i am have been on my macbook air for hours now and its sitting at 37 degrees the fans have not even been on and i have had it 2 weeks. this is not going to be an issue for the at least the normal user. Haswell runs cool and smooth with great power saving and is as fast as last years model if not faster at a lower clock, thats a great advancement. well done intel. :)

Which app do you use to monitor the temp? smcFanControl is showing 0 degrees all the time for my Haswell MBA.

Btw, the fan doesn't kick in when I'm viewing YouTube at 1080p. :eek: What surprises me coming from an old MBA is that, the fan even stays at the default 1200rpm according to smc (I don't know if it's accurate though).

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
Which app do you use to monitor the temp? smcFanControl is showing 0 degrees all the time for my Haswell MBA.

Btw, the fan doesn't kick in when I'm viewing YouTube at 1080p. :eek: What surprises me coming from an old MBA is that, the fan even stays at the default 1200rpm according to smc (I don't know if it's accurate though).

its called Temperature Gauge

yes im surfing and the temp it 36c fan 1190rpm...thats totally silent. great machine.

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 18.52.09.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 18.52.09.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 471
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.