Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
When I upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.8.3, I didn't do a combo update (newbie mistake), nor did I do a combo when I updated to 10.8.4. Can I just redo the upgrade using the combo 10.8.4 without uninstalling what I have now?
Diane

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Why do you need to redo the update as a combo?
I'm having trouble with AirDrop on my iMac https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1595371/. It is an open case with Apple Support going on for over 2 weeks. While waiting for the engineers to get back to us, the support technician suggested I try this, since I hadn't used the combo update, in case there is a corrupt or missing file that might get corrected in the process without having to do a fresh re-install. I haven't done it yet because I'm wondering if doing this could cause even more problems. We have eliminated Intego security software as the source of problem and wi-fi signal in the house is good.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Installing the 10.8.4 Combo Update over 10.8.4 will cause no problems. Just check for any updates that might be available after you do that.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Installing the 10.8.4 Combo Update over 10.8.4 will cause no problems. Just check for any updates that might be available after you do that.
Thank you. Then I guess at this point I have nothing to lose by trying this and hoping for a miracle cure ;)
Diane

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Most problems are not caused by anything "wrong" with the system files that needs re-isntalling.
They are usually caused by incorrect settings, preferences or caches, either at the user or system level.

I've suggested something that might help on your AirDrop thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.