PDA

View Full Version : 2013 MBA WITH i7 upgrade: how hot is "too hot"?

antjefferson
Jun 28, 2013, 11:39 PM
Sorry if this is a noob question - but I am strongly considering purchasing the 13"/8gb/256gb/i7 MBA. It seems that the big drawback that most folks seem to be complaining about is excess heat when you tax the processor. I know some folks haven't found this to be an issue...but several have. So I don't want to start a debate about that...

Assuming that the i7 does indeed run hotter than the i5 at least some of the time...my question is: how does that affect the performance/longevity of the machine long term? I will use the MBA for web design, adobe creative suite, youtube/Netflix, and some LIGHT gaming (Portal 2, Bastion, Braid...stuff like that). Apart from the hotter machine possibly behind uncomfortable in my lap...should I be concerned about bumping p the CPU to the i7?

I will be traveling abroad for an extended period of time and this will be my only computer. I considered the non-retina MBP but it isn't portable enough for my uses. So - the MBA is really attractive. But I need to get this right on the first shot...I won't be able to return or exchange for quite some time.

Help me decide!

Booji
Jun 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
Sorry if this is a noob question - but I am strongly considering purchasing the 13"/8gb/256gb/i7 MBA. It seems that the big drawback that most folks seem to be complaining about is excess heat when you tax the processor. I know some folks haven't found this to be an issue...but several have. So I don't want to start a debate about that...

Assuming that the i7 does indeed run hotter than the i5 at least some of the time...my question is: how does that affect the performance/longevity of the machine long term? I will use the MBA for web design, adobe creative suite, youtube/Netflix, and some LIGHT gaming (Portal 2, Bastion, Braid...stuff like that). Apart from the hotter machine possibly behind uncomfortable in my lap...should I be concerned about bumping p the CPU to the i7?

I will be traveling abroad for an extended period of time and this will be my only computer. I considered the non-retina MBP but it isn't portable enough for my uses. So - the MBA is really attractive. But I need to get this right on the first shot...I won't be able to return or exchange for quite some time.

Help me decide!

My2013 i5/8/256 runs super cool. From your uses above does not seem that you need the i7 so why pay the extra money and take the risk? The i5 is very snappy.

Mrbobb
Jun 28, 2013, 11:59 PM
should I be concerned about bumping p the CPU to the i7?

As long as your lap doesn't mind... and palms also, I find that warm palm rests don't suit me, but that's just me.

If u want the extra power, u will have to put up with the extra heat. Pick one, can't have both.

scttq
Jun 29, 2013, 12:17 AM
As long as your lap doesn't mind... and palms also, I find that warm palm rests don't suit me, but that's just me.

If u want the extra power, u will have to put up with the extra heat. Pick one, can't have both.

I just posted up my results in the i5 to i7 thread, I found the two devices to have very similar temps, the i7 just needs more fan to keep it's temp down.

Mrbobb
Jun 29, 2013, 12:41 AM
Honestly this I5 vs I7 is just much ado for nothing. What do you get, another 10% performance bump by some benmark? Real life, probly won't notice it.

10%! that's 0.1 - if this was one of those audio amplifier that gave you 6 db headroom (able to burst, for a short period of time) to 600% its rated power! then I would be impressed.

AlphaDogg
Jun 29, 2013, 12:45 AM
How does that affect the performance/longevity of the machine long term?

It doesn't.

----------

Honestly this I5 vs I7 is just much ado for nothing. What do you get, another 10% performance bump by some benmark? Real life, probly won't notice it.

10%! that's 0.1 - if this was one of those audio amplifier that gave you 6 db headroom (able to burst, for a short period of time) to 600% its rated power! then I would be impressed.

10% is a lot.

DoctorK4
Jun 29, 2013, 05:44 AM
Honestly this I5 vs I7 is just much ado for nothing. What do you get, another 10% performance bump by some benmark?

It's more like 25% but you still might not notice it.