PDA

View Full Version : Post your Switch Stories

arn
Dec 20, 2002, 03:28 PM
Post your own personal stories about switching to the Mac.

arn

diorio
Dec 20, 2002, 03:34 PM
Good idea in making this forum arn. Now general mac discussion won't be littered with "why should I switch" or things like that.

Rekutyn
Dec 23, 2002, 01:17 PM
-snip-

Durandal7
Dec 23, 2002, 01:19 PM
These forums sure did take off since you posted a link on the main site arn.

CrackedButter
Feb 18, 2003, 02:24 PM
Dr Evil:

I am trying to take over the world and it isnít easy for somebody like me, I need to know the info, I needed to be in the know. My PC prevented me from doing that.

The trouble was a freakin idiot designed my PC; it wasnít helping me steal nuclear warheads so I could hold the world to ransom.

My PC kept getting errors and it crashed so much, I could never complete my plans on properly. This would make Mr Bigglesworth upset. Meow!

Yeah, and when Mr Bigglesworth got upset I got angry, I had the PC staff at my local store li-qui-dated, yeah, huh-uh!

Thatís when I got my Mac, thatís when I could finally take over the world, it was so easy. My plans were made so simple.

My ďlasersĒ would fire, ďThe Alan Parsons ProjectĒ actually worked.

With the software included with my Mac I could easily organise my iLife with my evil henchmen, instantly my Number 2 knew who he worked for.

It was so easy and I didnít need to spend billions of dollars either.

FADE: APPLE LOGO

Iím doctor evil and I took over the world.

Before you think i am weird this is for my college project in media studies as well. I have to design an advert, so i did a switch advert. Yes i have seen the switch poster as well.

scem0
Mar 11, 2003, 01:20 AM
trying to think of how they could incorperate that into the next

;):D

tibookowner
May 12, 2003, 10:36 AM
Really been into computers my whole life. Since I am only 27, I am just getting up to speed. I have had varying exposure to all makes of computers. The Mac Community operates on a near, excuse me, holy hatred of Micro$oft.

I purchased my first Mac a few years ago, a portable, codenamed WallStreet. Why I bought was simple. I LOVE computers!! Now I am a repeat buyer! I now have an "Ivory " TIBook!

As a final note, iChat is great! And Windoze users see silvery OS Brillance!

Makes them jealous!

As a footnote, I am Certified A+ in microcomputer repair. There is a SERIOUS lack of knowledge that the Mac came first!

Ikash
Jul 2, 2003, 01:54 PM
well i've used windows computers all my life. i remember when i was litte i was amazed at what a computer could do like GAMES!! ha i've grown up on a windows computer, and didn't think windows was that bad. remember i was little. after years of Updating drivers then OOPS its crashes and the updates are ready, ready to do what screw up my computer make it crash and burn and have to talk to tech support for 6 hours.. there hasn't been a year where i haven't had to reinstall windows atlesat 20 times like last week my computer lost all my cd drive drivers so how could i reinstall without a cd i did the restore point thing and that fixed it.The first year i moved here i got a comptuer for a Xmas Presant. can't kick a gift horse in the mouth but this compter i so called go, was a Systemax you know that company the ones they sell at 3 in the morning on the home shopping network and the guys like look it can play movies and you can type AHHH well the story goes i got the computer and the video card was lose so on Xmas day my computer crashed and Burned. the whole thing got friend cuz it was lose i had to get rid of it quick so i gutted it and rebuilt it myself . i do residental and hotel network support and having to reinstall drivers or update stuff is a regular thing to me but i never knew it wasn't very nessisary with a mac well you have update but it won't mess it up.i moved to arkansas 4 years ago and i had never used a mac product. untill my friend Ijon let me use his. he told me that it doesn't freeze, doesn't crash (sound Familar) i was amazed. right then i fell in love with macs the design the way they run it was great he also told me that if it does happen to mess up you can reinstall and all your data will stay on the comp it will just reinstall the main sys files and stuff. My first apple product was a NEW 15GB Ipod i bought this year i also have a Ipod t-shirt and poster. pretty good for a starter . I think it was one of the best investments i have ever made. i am wanting to buy a new 15" powerbook but i hear there updating them really soon so the waiting, its killing me.

NO MORE CRASHING AND .DLL DUM WINDOWS PROBLEMS FOR ME.
as soon as i get my powerbook the windows pc's going on the bench or just for games.

TheOne
Jul 12, 2003, 12:01 AM
I have been a PC user for basicly my entire life, but I have never exactly been happy with it. The thing would crash, have the BSoD, but that is not really why i switched.

Basicly I got tired of the Windows Operating System, Bill Gates, and the millions of PC Viruses. I needed a notebook for college in the fall, and I picked up a 17" PowerBook G4 because it suites all of my needs and it replaces the need for a desktop for quite some time. I have enjoyedm first week as a Mac User because everything has worked so well, and I am actually used to all of the windows opened at the same time now! (I never understood before untill I actually spent hours upon hours with the thing)

I have now become addicted to iTunes and have puchased 68 songs in my first week. :D Another reason why I wanted the Mac is because of Final Cut Pro. I love watching and making movies so I felt that the Mac would be the best thing for me... The last movie I made was on my Pentium 4 box and I nearly threw it out of the window because it was so evil... Hopefully the Mac is more kind. I have not started to edit video on my Mac yet, but that is because I have not had the time.

I like my "little" 17" PowerBook because it works great and everyone I have shown it off to has been really amazed by it. :cool:

Mord
Oct 30, 2003, 05:59 AM
i half switched but still

when i was 7 we had a pb 100 with a stylewriter very cool but the power books mother board fryed when some one (not mentioning any names) puged an adb mouse in when it was turned on!!!

when i was about 11 we needed a computer so we went out and got a pc mag about 2 weeks later we were set to get a pile of crap from gateway then my dad saw a mac mag with an imac on the front so he called apple and got pissed of about there phone information as the guy on the line was compleatly incompadent and took it out on computers in genral so delayed our purchace a few months.......
a few months later he saw a cube a few months later...
2000 odd pounds of savings= a power mac g4 cube+15" apple studio display + epson 880 and a beta copy of osx.

2 weeks later one 12 year old mac expert
(i mean expert I fixed my freinds macs for them and made a tidy prophet too)

I also got my own ibook 12" 600 cd at the age of 14 (I got it for school as my hand writing is awfull (not to mention my spelling)

my school is macaphobic

the head of iT "dont plug your ibook into the network it could make our server crash"!

now my school has ordered 10 imacs and 2 pm g5's.

12lemon
Jan 30, 2004, 07:21 PM
I was a Mac user for the first several years of my computing life. Then I purchased a G3 Wallstreet Powerbook. I liked it, but my wife got a Toshiba Satellite, it seemed(at the time) much faster, and was about half the price. Needless to say that I then converted to the dark side of the force...

It wasn't until I got a new job that I begin to shake off years of un-faithfulness. I had even tried to bring down an empire by convincing our CEO that we needed to switch from MYOB to QuickBooks so that he had to purchase PC's. Then I was given the gift of a G4 400 Mhz machine with OS X. I began to see the error of my ways, and within days had gone cold turkey with the PC...except my one reminder of the drunken stupor...we still have QuickBooks.

As soon as they figure out a solution for multiple users on the Mac side we will fully convert back.

That's my humble story.

billyboy
Feb 3, 2004, 01:01 PM
My name is Billyboy and I'm a Macoholic. I love my Powerbook so much, but being a desktop replacement, I only get to touch it once in a while after installing new software. Sometimes I dont go to bed so I can use it. I tell all my PC friends about it, most of them don't get it. There is an old saying, about buying the best you can afford. That frightens me. I can afford about ten G5 dual 2Ghz, and I am afraid I will go out, get some Infiniband from the Infiniband shop and have the most powerful computer set up in my neighbourhood. Help me, the iPodmini is due out in a couple of months, I need to not buy one. I need to buy more shares in AAPL because they are going to skyrocket. I may be in a position to stage a takeover, but Im no Steve Jobs. Would he work for me? This is insane. I used to be so unproductive with a PC, but now I finish my work by 3 in the afternoon and have nothing to do but create movies, slideshows, and hit records. Help.

scubabeano
Aug 26, 2005, 09:37 AM
Macs look better. period.

gwuMACaddict
Aug 26, 2005, 09:46 AM
:D never had to switch :D my first computer was IIe, been hooked since then

skyline r34
Oct 10, 2005, 11:05 PM
I've been a window's user for years and one day I was shopping at Fashion Valley Mall here in San Diego and I stop by the Apple store to check out what thay have to offer and I play around with a Mac Mini using the Mac Osx Tiger software and just love it, so right then and there I bought a Mac Mini computer that day, and that was five months ago and know i'm ready to graduate to a PowerMac G5 computer. I'm plan on buying the G5 for christmas.