PDA

View Full Version : on the road with my iBook -- weird start up?

California
Nov 8, 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm on the road with my iBook 14" 1.33ghz. Upon start up, I got this weird blank screen and a LOUD fan noise. Then nothing. Then I hit the power button again and everything's fine, as is, I am typing on MR right now. ]

Anyone with the same experience? Somehow, I thought maybe I had jostled the memory out of position or something? But then it started up just fine. ? Weird.

mad jew
Nov 8, 2005, 04:46 PM
I got the same on an aeroplane once but there was quite a bit of turbulence at the time. I figured it was just because the hard disk was being jostled around a bit and didn't think anything of it. This was about a month ago and I haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it's the same for you. :)

California
Nov 8, 2005, 04:57 PM
I got the same on an aeroplane once but there was quite a bit of turbulence at the time. I figured it was just because the hard disk was being jostled around a bit and didn't think anything of it. This was about a month ago and I haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it's the same for you. :)

As ever, thanks MJ. Makes me think about getting the motion sensor machine...

ITASOR
Nov 8, 2005, 05:06 PM
As ever, thanks MJ. Makes me think about getting the motion sensor machine...

Yeah, I think I actually made mine work the other day. I was watching a movie in quicktime, moved the computer really fast, everything froze, then like 20 seconds later it came back on with this little progress bar (thought I saw it). It's a safe feeling knowing you have it though.

mjstew33
Nov 8, 2005, 05:23 PM
Well wow, I didn't know it worked that well - or at all. :o

Cool. :D

mad jew
Nov 8, 2005, 05:28 PM
Of course, I've made sure my iBook was level and still every start up since because events like this can both damage the physical hard drive and the file system. The file system is easily repaired with Disk Utility (on the OSX disks) or a reinstall, but the damaged hard drive would have to be replaced. It sounds like yours is fine though California. :)

California
Nov 8, 2005, 05:28 PM
It is weirdly upsetting to think that the 'book was jostled enough in its hard drive to not start up.

mad jew
Nov 8, 2005, 05:32 PM
I know exactly how you feel. :o