PDA

View Full Version : Is the MBA 2012/13 good for web-dev

aleksxpo
Jul 1, 2013, 06:23 AM
I am into buying a MBA 2012/13 and i would mainly use it for web-dev (front-end) so yeah i would use Photoshop CS6 ,Sublime Tex3 and MAMP. I don't play games nor do i watch movies and such often.So yeah can it accomplish those tasks (it goes more for the i5 model then i7 because , the base model costs in my country around 2100$ :( ). Thanks!

m00min
Jul 1, 2013, 06:33 AM
I'm doing web dev on my 2012 MBA. Just make sure you upgrade the RAM to 8Gb. Also, if you use Parallels or other application for virtualising Windows then upgrading the SSD to 256Gb would be a good idea.

Mine's the i7 but I would guess there isn't a lot of difference in day-to-day usage with the i5.

aleksxpo
Jul 1, 2013, 06:42 AM
thanks , i'll consider 8gb ram :) also btw is it hard to use a mac and are there any limitations for example , can you get pirated software (just curious)?

Memole
Jul 1, 2013, 06:52 AM
thanks , i'll consider 8gb ram :) also btw is it hard to use a mac and are there any limitations for example , can you get pirated software (just curious)?
using a mac is easy and there is no real limitations as its not iOS :)
also on macbook air you can install easy Windows OS and Linux os in native efi mode :) if you dont like OS X :P

also there are lots of free software and why you would pirate apps when they are quite cheap :/

aleksxpo
Jul 1, 2013, 06:54 AM
well i don't really want to do it , but ps is expensive .. not sure if i will do it though , i didn't even jailbreak my iphone.

TC25
Jul 1, 2013, 07:30 AM
Read the MR rules. Discussing 'pirated software' is not allowed.

Ollifi
Jul 1, 2013, 08:50 AM
TC25, the user was not asking instructions on downloading pirate software. He/she just asked, is getting pirate software possible.

beautifulcoder
Jul 3, 2013, 05:09 AM
GIMP and Inkscape are good alternatives. And they are not as bloated so it is perfect for an MBA.

m00min
Jul 8, 2013, 05:17 AM
GIMP and Inkscape are good alternatives. And they are not as bloated so it is perfect for an MBA.

I wish people would stop saying this. The GIMP is ok for tinkering at the edges but in no way does it replace Photoshop. Also, it's not necessarily about your own usage, there's the possibility of integrating into a workflow. If someone sent me a GIMP file I would not be happy.