Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that the three-finder back/forward swipe no longer works in the Finder in Mavericks? This may be a specific bug with DP2, so I'd be curious if anyone with DP1 experienced the same behavior. Anyone know a trick to re-enable the gesture (it still works in Safari)?

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
Has anyone else noticed that the three-finder back/forward swipe no longer works in the Finder in Mavericks? This may be a specific bug with DP2, so I'd be curious if anyone with DP1 experienced the same behavior. Anyone know a trick to re-enable the gesture (it still works in Safari)?

DP 4 here - no swiping in Finder either...grrrr

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Hasn't this been gone since Lion? :confused:

Seriously. I don't know and can't remember. I'm booted into SL right now. (With full finder swipe control I might add :)).

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
No. Mavericks only. And it pi**es me off because pressing the tiny back button is significantly slower!

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
No longer works? This never happened in the first place (I'm using ML).

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
No longer works? This never happened in the first place (I'm using ML).

Sigh. Yes, it did. You had to set it up in trackpad settings in Sys Pref but it did. Ive been doing it for well over a year with no additional software. I know now because it takes so much longer to navigate finder.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Sigh. Yes, it did. You had to set it up in trackpad settings in Sys Pref but it did. Ive been doing it for well over a year with no additional software. I know now because it takes so much longer to navigate finder.

Do you recall the exact setting to enable this? I was just gonna test it and see if it's fixed in DP5. FWIW, in my trackpad preferences I have all the check boxes checked under all three tabs.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Do you recall the exact setting to enable this? I was just gonna test it and see if it's fixed in DP5. FWIW, in my trackpad preferences I have all the check boxes checked under all three tabs.

Finder back/forward gestures only works with three fingers, not two. Therefore they only work after setting "Swipe between pages" to three fingers or two+three fingers, and only if three-finger drag is disabled. Not worth disabling three finger drag in my opinion. It also doesn't obey natural scrolling for some reason.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
Well in ml you set "swipe between pages" to "two or three fingers." In never sword reliably for me though, it would often just stop working until a restart. So I just use cmd + [ and ].

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Finder back/forward gestures only works with three fingers, not two. Therefore they only work after setting "Swipe between pages" to three fingers or two+three fingers, and only if three-finger drag is disabled. Not worth disabling three finger drag in my opinion. It also doesn't obey natural scrolling for some reason.

What pickaxe said.

Thanks. I had three finger dragging enabled. I disabled it and tried to see if it's still broken in DP5 and unfortunately it appears that it still is.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011

I have everything enabled and it doesn't work...

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I have everything enabled and it doesn't work...

Well keep playing and read the above comments again until you get it to work....if you're running Mavericks it doesn't work...which is the whole point of this thread. It does work. Try harder.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
Well keep playing and read the above comments again until you get it to work....if you're running Mavericks it doesn't work...which is the whole point of this thread. It does work. Try harder.

perhaps consider the fact that the GM is buggy on certain machines and the OP is correct instead of assuming hes wrong and your right..

Its not working on my GM install either and i know what im doing.

manthe

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Just piping in to say that the swipe gesture definitely is NOT working in Finder (using Mav. GM) - and to also express my frustration with this! Happily it still DOES work in Path Finder - which is still a far better file manager - even with the 'improvements' to Finder, it still feels like the one piece of the OS written by Hasbro!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.